PDA

View Full Version : Lamp fuel question?

72shane
03-01-2010, 12:04 PM
I just got to think...what all fuel will work in an oil lamp/hurricaneamp? All ive ever used was kerosene. I ran out last night and started wondering what all will burn in it? Anybody tried any fuel oil or veg. oil?

Malleus
03-01-2010, 12:06 PM
I've used, lamp oil, tiki torch oil, kerosense, & olive oil in mine. Tiki torch oil seemed to work best IMO.

72shane
03-01-2010, 12:15 PM
Is tiki torch oil the same as citronella oil?

Malleus
03-01-2010, 12:36 PM
Is tiki torch oil the same as citronella oil?

Yeah but doesn't have to be citronella. I get it from the lawn & garden section of Walmart. Big 1 or 2 gallon jug (non-citronella flavored). Was labeled tiki-torch oil. The lamp oil is usually purified paraffin & too rich for my blood.
Olive oil just stinks

Trekon86
03-01-2010, 01:24 PM
I was going to ask about this as well.
Great grandpa had a huge fuel lamp hanging in the basement staircase but I don't know what type of lamp it is.
Can you burn any fuel in a hurricane lantern or does it have to be a particular type?
I don't even know where to get kerosene around here anymore:(
PMZ

Malleus
03-01-2010, 01:34 PM
I've got 2 lamps (again from Walmart) made by a company called Lamplight Farms.

http://www.lamplight.com/product/1506/Farmers%20Lantern.aspx?

http://www.lamplight.com/bps/lamplight/llfconsumer/product/images/1_2_52664_regular.jpg

They have burned all the above fuel I mentions. Specifically they state they can burn lamp oil & kerosene.

I love 'em. Kind of a pain to pack in & out but, I light 'em at dusk & they are still burning at dawn. I've even just let them burn to see how long they would go. They went out sometime during the second night. (one does seem to burn longer than the other)

sbkittrell
03-01-2010, 01:35 PM
I was going to ask about this as well.
Great grandpa had a huge fuel lamp hanging in the basement staircase but I don't know what type of lamp it is.
Can you burn any fuel in a hurricane lantern or does it have to be a particular type?
I don't even know where to get kerosene around here anymore:(
PMZ

If it has a pressurized tank or base (with a pump) it's probably white gas, but if it has a wick it's probably kerosene. Just about every convenience store around here sells kerosene for the kerosun type heaters.

Trekon86
03-01-2010, 01:37 PM
It has a wick I think...hmm...might have to pick up some kero and tiki torch oil on my next trip to S-mart:)
PMZ

Old Philosopher
03-01-2010, 01:58 PM
As far as I know "lamp oil" is just ultra-refined kerosene. It doesn't smell, or smoke, as much as kerosene.
I do know one thing from my young party days: 151 proof rum will burn in one, but Scotch doesn't. :eek:

tnrick55
03-01-2010, 02:17 PM
i love the smell of napom in tthe morning lol

Rupe
03-01-2010, 02:48 PM
Jet Fuel would work fine but I'm not sure its redily available to the public. JP8 would be my first choice.;)

Check at some of the gas stations. A lot of them around here still have Kerosene pumps but you must have a blue container or they won't sell it to you. Truck stops might have it as well.

Eagle
03-01-2010, 03:11 PM
One thing to be aware of is the lamp oil that's sold in a lot of discount stores will freeze solid in cold weather.

hog
03-01-2010, 03:21 PM
Parraffin should be fine.

Old Philosopher
03-01-2010, 03:29 PM
I just got to think...what all fuel will work in an oil lamp/hurricaneamp? All ive ever used was kerosene. I ran out last night and started wondering what all will burn in it? Anybody tried any fuel oil or veg. oil?
To get back to the original question, almost anything that can travel up the wick will work.
My 2-cents worth:
Regular alcohol (denatured) will work, but since alcohol burns with a barely visible blue flame, the light you are getting when burning it is from the combustion of the wick, which is readily consumed.
Kerosene/lamp oil/tiki torch oil has a flash point of around 100-150 F, and will burn off the wick without consuming it.
Most vegetable oil (e.g., canola) has a flash point of around 650 F, and will burn once lighted. The high viscosity makes it less desirable for wicking.
Obviously, something like gasoline/white gas (Coleman fuel) is out, because it has a flash point as low as -40F and you'd have a bomb, instead of a lamp!

Just about anything you could make a primitive oil lamp with, you could burn in a lantern/hurricane lamp. The heavier and less combustible the fuel, to more wick is going to be consumed, and the more smoke you'll get.

I use refined lamp oil in my hurricane lamps (a couple are over 100 years old), and lanterns because there is less smoke/odor and soot than is produced by kerosene.

Trekon86
03-01-2010, 03:44 PM
What is the smoke factor like with Tiki torch oil?
I'm thinking that if my family had to shelter in the basement or cool cellar, using kero for the lamps would really suck.
PMZ

sbkittrell
03-01-2010, 05:02 PM
Just don't put gasoline in it Trek. I'm sure that some of the local stores around you have a Kerosene pump. Lot's of people heat with it.

72shane
03-01-2010, 05:16 PM
Thanks for all the replies. Has anyone tried deisel fuel...that might be an option for you trek, everyone sells that almost.

sticks65
03-01-2010, 05:58 PM
Funny as ive just made a lamp out of a single shot whiskey bottle and used citronella oil,gives light and keeps the bugs away.:D

Old Philosopher
03-01-2010, 06:05 PM
You got me searching my memory banks, and beyond, Shane.

"Fuel oil" is made in the distillation of crude oil. The different grades are given numbers:
Number 1 is similar to kerosene and is the fraction that boils off right after gasoline.

Number 2 is the diesel fuel that trucks and some cars run on, leading to the name "road diesel". It is the same thing as heating oil.

BTW, "tiki oil" is usually refered to as paraffin oil, which is a British/AZ name for kerosene. Not to be confused with medicinal paraffin oils... So, tiki oil is basically filtered kerosene, as it the "lamp oil" you get at the department store.

I also looked and found this info on "lamp oil" (starting with whale oil):

"Among other fuels used have been coal oil and paraffin/kerosene in paraffin lamps (also called kerosene lamps and coal oil lamps). Oil lamps can use many other fuels including jathropa seed oil and biodiesel along with wvo, soybean oil, canola oil, hemp seed oil, sunflower seed oil,and olive oil."

Trek asked about using kerosene, or diesel in a basement. My experience is that kerosene gives off odors that, for me at least, can lead to headaches, etc. We used to heat a friend's garage, during parties, with a large kerosene heater. We had to keep the overhead door elevated slightly for ventilation.
His heater was catalytic, and didn't even have an open flame, so I can imagine an open flame would be worse.
Anytime you're burning anything, including candles, not all of the gases given off in the process are combusted. It's a very good idea to always arrange some sort of ventilation for the space where they are used.

randyt
03-01-2010, 06:59 PM
some folks recommend adding vanilla to the oil of a lamp or heater to help with the smell, a few drops or so. i've never done it though. i've worked on many fuel oil burners and have become immune to the smell so to speak.

Old Philosopher
03-01-2010, 07:30 PM
some folks recommend adding vanilla to the oil of a lamp or heater to help with the smell, a few drops or so. i've never done it though. i've worked on many fuel oil burners and have become immune to the smell so to speak.
It made a gawd-awful mess, but my Grandmother used to put rose petals in the hurricane lamp oil. I've heard that just about any potpourri mix infused in the oil helps, too. Never went to the bother, myself. The smell of kerosene in a lamp is sort of nostalgic, to me.
Where's Mountain Woman, or Frau Hilda when we need them? :D

wolfy
03-01-2010, 10:16 PM
Well, believe it or not, I happen to know a thing or two about this. I collect Alladdin lamps, heat a basement with a convection-style kerosene heater, have several old wick-type kerosene lamps that I love to burn in the house. Just because I like the kind of light they give off, my wife and I take a couple of Dietz lanterns with us when we go camping in our van. We never get any smoke and the only odor you will experience is when you shut it off and it is not bad at all.

Do NOT use anything but clear white K-1 kerosene in the wick-type burners on any of these things. If you have burned anything like diesel fuel, colored kerosene, or anything that has screwed up the wick you will have to replace it before it will again burn brightly without smoke or smell. Jet fuel, as someone mentioned before is also very good, but it is not easy for most of us to come by. The little bottles of scented stuff that you buy for lamps in Walmart is good, but costs as much for a pint as a gallon of K-1 will cost at Menard's.

K-1 can be purchased in 2.5 gallon jugs in any Menards or other big box store lumberyard type place that sells kerosene heaters. If you have burned anything else in them the wicks will have to be replaced before they will burn right. They will not smell or smoke if you use the K-1. I don't know anything about burning citronella flavored stuff like you burn in the tiki torches, but any of those things that I've seen burning around some of the bbq's I've been to......smoke alot!

As Forrest Gump would say...."that's all I have to say about that":D

randyt
03-01-2010, 10:53 PM
the best place though to buy kerosene is a gas station. i think the last i bought was around $3.50 a gallon. i like to keep 20 or so gallons around at all times.

i have heard (although i haven't tried it) if you throw in a couple handfuls of slaked lime in to 5 gallons of kerosene and shake it about now and then and then siphon the oil from the can while leaving the lime in the bottom that it purifies it even further. i hear lots of things and i don't necessarily believe but i like to check it out.

Old Philosopher
03-01-2010, 11:05 PM
the best place though to buy kerosene is a gas station. i think the last i bought was around $3.50 a gallon. i like to keep 20 or so gallons around at all times.

i have heard (although i haven't tried it) if you throw in a couple handfuls of slaked lime in to 5 gallons of kerosene and shake it about now and then and then siphon the oil from the can while leaving the lime in the bottom that it purifies it even further. i hear lots of things and i don't necessarily believe but i like to check it out.
Well, this isn't hear-say: I was given 25 gallons of kerosene in 5 gallon cans when a buddy left town. He said it was about 2-3 years old. I figured it would at least be a good weed killer, and accelerant for the burn piles. Humph! 3 out of 5 of those cans contained something that you could only light after 5 minutes with a propane torch! My conclusion was that kerosene goes virtually inert, if it's old enough.

wolfy
03-01-2010, 11:24 PM
Some gas stations will indeed have K-1, but if it is not crystal clear and specified as such, it is not meant for heaters. There is a Co-op in our area that has it for sale too, but it is not K-1, but is OK for burning in the Knipco-type forced air heaters that are used outside or in open sheds.....they sound like a jet engine and need to be plugged in to electricity to function. It's about the same as #1 diesel fuel.

randyt
03-02-2010, 05:46 AM
Well, this isn't hear-say: I was given 25 gallons of kerosene in 5 gallon cans when a buddy left town. He said it was about 2-3 years old. I figured it would at least be a good weed killer, and accelerant for the burn piles. Humph! 3 out of 5 of those cans contained something that you could only light after 5 minutes with a propane torch! My conclusion was that kerosene goes virtually inert, if it's old enough.

maybe the lime treatment would have done some good. i have found five gallons the other day that has been sitting in the shed for at least ten years, i'm gonna have to check it out.

randyt
03-02-2010, 05:47 AM
Some gas stations will indeed have K-1, but if it is not crystal clear and specified as such, it is not meant for heaters. There is a Co-op in our area that has it for sale too, but it is not K-1, but is OK for burning in the Knipco-type forced air heaters that are used outside or in open sheds.....they sound like a jet engine and need to be plugged in to electricity to function. It's about the same as #1 diesel fuel.

i'll have to check into it, i've never been able to bring myself to buy the expensive stuff maybe it's worth it.

wildjim
03-02-2010, 07:07 AM
Well, believe it or not, I happen to know a thing or two about this. I collect Alladdin lamps, heat a basement with a convection-style kerosene heater, have several old wick-type kerosene lamps that I love to burn in the house. Just because I like the kind of light they give off, my wife and I take a couple of Dietz lanterns with us when we go camping in our van. We never get any smoke and the only odor you will experience is when you shut it off and it is not bad at all.

Do NOT use anything but clear white K-1 kerosene in the wick-type burners on any of these things. If you have burned anything like diesel fuel, colored kerosene, or anything that has screwed up the wick you will have to replace it before it will again burn brightly without smoke or smell. Jet fuel, as someone mentioned before is also very good, but it is not easy for most of us to come by. The little bottles of scented stuff that you buy for lamps in Walmart is good, but costs as much for a pint as a gallon of K-1 will cost at Menard's.

K-1 can be purchased in 2.5 gallon jugs in any Menards or other big box store lumberyard type place that sells kerosene heaters. If you have burned anything else in them the wicks will have to be replaced before they will burn right. They will not smell or smoke if you use the K-1. I don't know anything about burning citronella flavored stuff like you burn in the tiki torches, but any of those things that I've seen burning around some of the bbq's I've been to......smoke alot!

I found this as confirmation:

http://www.endtimesreport.com/kerosene_fuel_primer.html

Now I need to find a lamp ; )

randyt
03-02-2010, 03:47 PM
interesting, the kerosene i buy here is clear with no dye.

wolfy
03-02-2010, 05:29 PM
BUY IT.....the K-1 will save you big bucks in savings in wicks because they are just FILTERS for delivering the fluid to the combustion portion of the wick. The less crud that you put into the tank, the longer the wick will deliver. Trust me, I drive a diesel tractor and LOVE Alladins and Dietz lanterns.

If you buy an old Dietz lantern or kerosene lamp with a tan or brown wick, crank it up and OUT and discard it. Measure it's width and order NEW and PURE cotton wicks for and install them....the brilliance of the new wicks will amaze you!

THEN, DEMAND nothing but pure white K-1 for your treasures. Quality only stings ONCE!

Old Philosopher
03-02-2010, 05:32 PM
+1 to what Wolfy said! The more residue that accumulates on the wicks in the tank, the less efficient they are. It's like making coffee with a used filter. ;) I got so desperate once, I took the wick out and cleaned it with carb cleaner. It's easier to get a new wick!

wolfy
03-02-2010, 05:42 PM
I've done that too, OP.......but when I get down to usin' burlap tater-sack filters that I've cut down.............my good wife puts her foot down!

randyt
03-02-2010, 05:50 PM
i pulled a wick out of a old dietz lantern the other day and i mean a old one. somebody had sewed a piece of felt to the bottom of the wick.

wolfy
03-02-2010, 06:12 PM
Just as an "aside"....... and this is not "news"! If any of you know an old farmer or own an old "M" Farmall tractor and actually READ what it says on top of the cap to the tank, it says in plain ENGLISH............."BUY CLEAN FUEL AND KEEP IT CLEAN"

That's the whole secret to burning any fuel......... and now I'll shut up and this thread can die an easy death.

Gingerman
03-03-2012, 09:28 AM
That's me. I remember buying K-1 at any gas station, and it cost 1/2 of what gas did. We had a kersene Coleman lantern, that was really cheap light.