PDA

View Full Version : Chile thoughts

Mattnu
03-02-2010, 06:54 AM
I've been watching the aftermath of the earthquake in Chile. As extensive as the damage is, I'm quit happy that their death toll is quite low. I have taken notice of the looting going on. Over at survival blog they've commented on it too.

The question is this. In case of an earth quake do you have any survival gear that isn't stored in a building that might collapse on top of it? Survival gear ins't that helpful if your house has fallen in on it, of if the vehicle it is in is in a collapsed garage. What if electical lines are down around your cache and still live?

I live in a single story, block and mortar house, so in the unlikely event of an extreme earthquake I don't think the rubble would be to bad to get through. I also have a shed that won't be under rubble that holds tools and some supplies.

dullblades
03-02-2010, 09:38 AM
good thinking. by luck, i have a small PSK in the truck, i normally have a belt PSK on me, but im either in the truck or in the house, or out back in the shop where my larger stash is. if we ever have one, ive got gear in 3 places, but they are all 3 in bldgs, and on me.

GreyOne
03-02-2010, 11:35 AM
This is where a few of the 2 liter bottle kits cached in accesible locations can make a difference. Cheap, long lasting and easily customized.

Trekon86
03-02-2010, 12:22 PM
I have one or two small stashes in the woods and I we have tools in various places throughout the property.
We also have a cool cellar and a good house/basement to shelter in in the event of a bombing or bad bad storm.

The old part of the house was built in 1745-50 and the newer part was added on in the late 1800s. Both sections are 2.5' thick at the least in the outer walls (fieldstone) and the middle wall that divided the old and new parts was simply knocked out in places for doorways, however that is also the same thickness.

Solid house for not so solid times. I don't doubt that due to its location and superior structural integrity it would be a prime military jump off site and we would likely be evicted in a bad situation.

PMZ

tennecedar
03-02-2010, 12:52 PM
Cache's in different places. BOB in truck. Gear in my out building. It's sitting on blocks at the corners and down the center. Earthquake wouls shake it but not destroy it.

Trekon86
03-02-2010, 01:14 PM
You know, back when I was in college (not that long ago haha) I took an elective in "Earth Science" and the professor was really funny and told us lots of good things.

One thing he mentioned was that one of the largest fault lines in the US (or the world?) lay only a few miles away from the college in Western NY state.

He said if there was ever an earthquake there it would be horrendous all along the northeast because nobody builds homes or businesses to withstand quakes up here...cause they just never happen.
PMZ

Trekon86
03-02-2010, 01:30 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clarendon-Linden_fault_system

It sure ain't the largest in the world or even the US. But it would be pretty bad if it shook...
PMZ

Trekon86
03-02-2010, 01:34 PM
Then there was the Plattsburgh earthquake a while ago...

PMZ

Keyser Söze
03-02-2010, 01:35 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/space/20100302/sc_space/chileearthquakemayhaveshorteneddaysonearth

Thunder 9
03-02-2010, 02:19 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/space/20100302/sc_space/chileearthquakemayhaveshorteneddaysonearth

Your tax dollars at work.:(

GreyOne
03-02-2010, 06:51 PM
Comparing the Chile Quake with the Haiti Quake is an instructive exercise.
Chile , in a mountainous region, had what looks lie around 1000 deaths from an 8.8 magnitude quake. They have had some minor looting problems, but most of that seems to have been related to food and water from stores.
Chile has a modern infrastructure, and building codes that have been in effect for decades requiring good quake resistant design and materials. They were able to respond quickly from their own resources to deal with the problem.

Haiti, by contrast, had a 7.0 quake in an unforested country that is much nearer sea level. This produced 200,00 to 500,000 dead, and as many more injured according to various estimates. The Haitians had poor infrastructure, a very inefficient and corrupt government, almost no engineering design or materials standards, and they were unable to provide much response from their own resources.
They suffered from a great deal more looting and social disorder than Chile, as well as a large migration of homeless survivors looking for shelter and food.

The contrast is rather stark, and should give us all a bit of reason to think. Good engineering standards, a stable government and good social cohesion are all factors in having a better outcome from such a disaster.