PDA

View Full Version : another knife makers question

bushcrafter1
03-02-2010, 04:44 PM
I have decicded to go with buffalo bone for the handle wit red fibre liners. My question is does anyone have experience with buffalo bone and and tips on how to stabilize would be appreciated.

Trekon86
03-02-2010, 04:48 PM
Buffalo bone or horn?
I've done horn before...but it's a smelly mess and you don't want to breathe the dust.
PMZ

Leif
03-02-2010, 04:51 PM
There are several methods to stabilizing wood or bone/antler. None of them are clean hahaha.

Best bet is to send it off to someone to do it for you.

Google search will find many places that will do the service for you.

bushcrafter1
03-02-2010, 04:59 PM
i dont care about the mess i have a shop to do itin

Leif
03-02-2010, 05:13 PM
i dont care about the mess i have a shop to do itin

The do some research on it. There are many tutorials on doing simple stabilization with minwax and other like chemicals.

amcardon
03-02-2010, 05:37 PM
If you want to stabilize it like wood then I would recommend doing a search for Chris Crawford's mason jar home stabilization. It's not stabilized like it would be if you had WSSI do it for you but better than nothing I would think...

Here's the link for Chris' method: LINK (http://chriscrawfordknives.com/#/mason-jar-stabilizer/4535517970)

Leif
03-02-2010, 05:46 PM
If you want to stabilize it like wood then I would recommend doing a search for Chris Crawford's mason jar home stabilization. It's not stabilized like it would be if you had WSSI do it for you but better than nothing I would think...

Here's the link for Chris' method: LINK (http://chriscrawfordknives.com/#/mason-jar-stabilizer/4535517970)

I think that is the method I was thinking off. Antler and bone are good and tough already and I don't think would need a polymer/acrylic process. Just a minwax style to keep moisture out.

Tom Krein
03-02-2010, 05:58 PM
I don't think you will be able to stabilize horn... its not porous enough to take up the stabilizing agent.

Horn is more like hair and fingernails than bone. The stuff can be a serious PITA to work. It you get it warm it will start to warp. If you are using power tools go slow and use SHARP (new) belts. Hand tools would probably be better.

When flattening it I usually use a disc sander and go slow. If I get it a bit warm I will clamp it on a flat steel surface. This will keep it flat and pull the heat out pretty quickly. Once you have it flat, I glue on the liners with Devocon 5 min. epoxy and then I finish the front part of the handle (you wont be able to finish it easily once its on the knife) and drill the pin/bolt holes. You are now ready to glue it up. I usually use Devcon 2 ton epoxy to put it on the knife as I want the best bond to the blade as I can get. Be sure and rough up the steel and the liner material.

Tom

bushcrafter1
03-02-2010, 05:58 PM
any certatin kind of minwax

Leif
03-02-2010, 06:00 PM
Tom he's using bone not horn.

I know that antler can be stabilized, not sure about horn though.

Leif
03-02-2010, 06:00 PM
any certatin kind of minwax

Like we said, go do some research, before accidents happen hahaha

Tom Krein
03-03-2010, 05:34 AM
Tom he's using bone not horn.

I know that antler can be stabilized, not sure about horn though.

Doh.... sorry don't know how I missed that. :D

Tom