PDA

View Full Version : Making a Nessmuk knife from 01 steel

Topknot
03-04-2010, 12:16 PM
Hi,
I'm not one for making knives but this one been playing on my mind for sometime . So i got me some 01 tool steel and started to make this little Nessmuk up as a neck knife.
I done all the work on the knife by hand (file, hacksaw) i was not sure about H/T. So i asked Fgyt (topman) and he done the H/T for me and a good job he did on the blade.

The handle is going to be fiddleback maple but the maple wood i got is not very good , so i'm looking for some more with better strips in the wood .
I want the handle to be dark ish brown with the strips black ish a bit like the old longhunters guns , so any help will be good on how to do this ?

http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/5480/img1661z.jpg
The bladle after H/T.

http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/3858/img1672t.jpg

http://img294.imageshack.us/img294/7269/img1670q.jpg
Cleaning up the blade with wet & dry paper

Will this is it so far.

Topknot

acv
03-04-2010, 12:24 PM
Very cool! A Nessmuk is on my list to get and yours looks about right. Can't wait to see it with a finished handle. Nice job.

And I've read that people use potassium pergament to stain the maple. It darkens the wood and looks quite nice. You might want to google it.

trentu
03-04-2010, 12:27 PM
Great blade profile. If you have access to one of the little micro torches you can take nice oak or hickory scales and lightly torch narrow lines across them making your "tiger stripe pattern" from one end to the other. Looks very nice. Once you put clear finish on it looks very nice. I would suggest getting a micro torch and experimenting. It will save you some money on handle material.

snakedoctor
03-04-2010, 12:28 PM
Man that looks good! I waiting to see the finale results! Great job!

werewolf won
03-04-2010, 12:47 PM
That is very nice so far. I have a Nessmuk on order from a maker. Unfortunately, I ordered the knife before finding Bushcraft USA and some of the awesome knife makers here. I’d have much rather supported someone here.
Wolf

sticks65
03-04-2010, 12:48 PM
Looking good.

Cannot wait to see the finished knife.

Sgt. Mac
03-04-2010, 12:52 PM
Looking good Top Knot I love Nessies

upthecreek
03-04-2010, 03:05 PM
you can use heated wire to score the handles, testing your method is a must. so far so good. looks great.

Easy_rider75
03-04-2010, 03:44 PM
Very cool nice work.

MIDVM-LFB
03-04-2010, 04:47 PM
Looking very good so far. Love the shine on the blade. Must have taken a long time with hand tools.

Valcas1
03-04-2010, 05:04 PM
I have some nice maple. Im sure we can work something out.

Iz
03-04-2010, 05:50 PM
Looking good so far, Top. Looking forward to seeing it done.
Iz

tstetz
03-04-2010, 06:37 PM
That's looking great!

For whatever reason I've been on a Nessmuk kick lately and was thinking about one in the 3" range. Pretty darn close to what I was thinking about.

BHK has a monthly special of a 2 1/2" Nessie and I just ordered one. I figured that was pretty darn close too :D

Either way, yours is coming along real nice. Great job!

Topknot
03-05-2010, 07:52 AM
Looking very good so far. Love the shine on the blade. Must have taken a long time with hand tools.

Hi Midvm, It dose not take that long to put a shine on the blade

I have some nice maple. Im sure we can work something out.

Valcas, Someone in the uk is going to post me a bit of fiddleback Sycamore ,
but if this is not up to the mark , then yes mate we can work something out. I'll just have to put the knife on the backburner and wait.

Next question, i found out that the old timer used this stuff on fiddleback maple
AQUAFORTIS REAGENT
Anyone used the stuff?

Cheers Topknot

Valcas1
03-05-2010, 08:34 AM
not personally, but it is the go to medium for longrifle builders.

Ascham
03-05-2010, 09:04 AM
There is a product called Agua Fortis... sold at black powder gun shops here. It is an acid stain that highlights the stripping. Try Track of the Wolf for this product.

Valcas1
03-05-2010, 09:13 AM
There is a product called Agua Fortis... sold at black powder gun shops here. It is an acid stain that highlights the stripping. Try Track of the Wolf for this product.

Out of stock, :(I was just going to purchase some the other day.

tnrick55
03-05-2010, 09:34 AM
good looking knife you must have some good drill bits. i bet those holes took some good amount of time to drill.

Okbushcraft
03-05-2010, 12:44 PM
Nice looking knife. I hae been bitten by the Nessie bug too. I want to try my hand at one soon. Thinking Osage scales, or maybe red/maroon micarta, not sure yet.

mongo1958
03-05-2010, 01:18 PM
I've got some cherry burl and magnolia burl. I can give you a chunk if you cover shipping.

Sgt. Mac
03-05-2010, 02:14 PM
Nice looking knife. I hae been bitten by the Nessie bug too. I want to try my hand at one soon. Thinking Osage scales, or maybe red/maroon micarta, not sure yet.

A deep burgandy or maroon would look awesome OK

Rook
03-05-2010, 02:38 PM
Nice looking nessie, looking forward to the finished product. Here's another method I saved for future use that I (i have not done this yet) found posted over on knife network and wanted to give it a try in the future. I do not remember the author of the post, so my apologies to them for credit. I just saved the post as a document for future reference for myself.
__________________________________________________ _____
Sand to a 600 grit finish. Then burnish well with first 4/0 steel wool and then a coarse cloth such as old jeans or canvas (rub and until you feel the heat from rubbing hard). Burnishing can really make the difference between a so so finish and an eye popping one.

Now go to the hardware store and get a bottle of Muriatic Acid (aka hydrochloric aka HCL). Heat the wood with a hair dryer on high or a heat gun (paint stripper) - you can use a torch but be real careful not to scorch the wood or no matter what method overheat it. Wearing rubber gloves and a mask and with plenty of ventilation wipe on the acid - while still wet heat again with the haird dryer or heat gun until completely dry. To neutralize the acid wash down with a solution of water and baking soda or club soda. Let dry completely and then burnish again with 4/0 steel wool followed by the coarse cloth - this should really make the grain "pop" and it should turn it a nice golden tan/light brown. If you want it darker add a coat or two of leather dye and then burnish again before adding your finish.

As a finish I use Watco Danish Oil in neutral (or instead of dye you can use one of the colored oils) - slosh it on for three or four days until it won't take any more oil. Then with a cloth dampened in the oil rub off any excess which will remove the stickiness and then burnish good. You can add a final coat of wax if you wish to make it glossier.

You can of course use a polyurethane finish instead of the Watco if you wish.

hth

Topknot
03-05-2010, 03:51 PM
I've got some cherry burl and magnolia burl. I can give you a chunk if you cover shipping.

Mongo, Thank you for the offer, i'll keep you in mind

Nice looking nessie, looking forward to the finished product. Here's another method I saved for future use that I (i have not done this yet) found posted over on knife network and wanted to give it a try in the future. I do not remember the author of the post, so my apologies to them for credit. I just saved the post as a document for future reference for myself.
__________________________________________________ _____
Sand to a 600 grit finish. Then burnish well with first 4/0 steel wool and then a coarse cloth such as old jeans or canvas (rub and until you feel the heat from rubbing hard). Burnishing can really make the difference between a so so finish and an eye popping one.

Now go to the hardware store and get a bottle of Muriatic Acid (aka hydrochloric aka HCL). Heat the wood with a hair dryer on high or a heat gun (paint stripper) - you can use a torch but be real careful not to scorch the wood or no matter what method overheat it. Wearing rubber gloves and a mask and with plenty of ventilation wipe on the acid - while still wet heat again with the haird dryer or heat gun until completely dry. To neutralize the acid wash down with a solution of water and baking soda or club soda. Let dry completely and then burnish again with 4/0 steel wool followed by the coarse cloth - this should really make the grain "pop" and it should turn it a nice golden tan/light brown. If you want it darker add a coat or two of leather dye and then burnish again before adding your finish.

As a finish I use Watco Danish Oil in neutral (or instead of dye you can use one of the colored oils) - slosh it on for three or four days until it won't take any more oil. Then with a cloth dampened in the oil rub off any excess which will remove the stickiness and then burnish good. You can add a final coat of wax if you wish to make it glossier.

You can of course use a polyurethane finish instead of the Watco if you wish.

hth

JAAT, Thank you for the write up its top's

Cheers Topknot

FGYT
03-05-2010, 04:53 PM
good looking knife you must have some good drill bits. i bet those holes took some good amount of time to drill.

why ???? annealed O1 is pretty soft and easy to drill the holes where done before HT

its looking shiny TopKnot :D i assumed you didnt want me to clean it up after HT

ATB

Duncan

Topknot
03-06-2010, 11:03 AM
Hi Duncan, Thank you for the offer of cleaning up the blade after the H/T. It was good of you to do the blade so fast for me.

http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/3935/img1676a.jpg

cheers Andy

JustJoel
03-06-2010, 11:25 AM
Now that's just purty. :) Really nice work. We're you ever able to find the wood you wanted to work with? If not you may want to check out galleryhardwoods.com or alphaknifesupply.com. They both have some nice stuff. No matter though. That's going to be a dandy knife.

Joel

Topknot
03-06-2010, 03:49 PM
Hi Joel , thanks for the sites i'm just waiting on the post to see what the wood is like.

Topknot

Topknot
03-11-2010, 12:48 PM
Done a bit more work on the knife :

http://img693.imageshack.us/img693/5796/img1680s.jpg

http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/4692/img1681q.jpg

For the handle pins i used a bit of brazing rod .

http://img716.imageshack.us/img716/553/img1683f.jpg

This pic shows the handle clean up ready for a dip in water to bring out the grain better before dipping it into spirits of salt to give it that nice pattern.
Topknot

werewolf won
03-11-2010, 01:04 PM
Keeps getting better and better.
Wolf

45jack
03-11-2010, 01:11 PM
Damn fine job!

sticks65
03-11-2010, 01:30 PM
Its looking very nice.

lobstercreek
03-11-2010, 02:55 PM
that looks great. good job

Topknot
03-11-2010, 03:13 PM
When i picked up the spirt of salt i for got to buy some baking soda
oh well it will have to wait.

tstetz
03-11-2010, 04:19 PM
Looking good!

ChapmanPreferred
03-15-2010, 09:56 AM
Looked great! Any updates!

Topknot
03-16-2010, 12:54 PM
Hi All,
An up date on the knife.
Well after playing around with the spirts of salt and a hot air gun on the maple. This is the outcome on the handle.

http://img682.imageshack.us/img682/4604/img1687w.jpg

http://img682.imageshack.us/img682/2195/img1689h.jpg

All i got to do now is to polish up a the handle and clean up the blade, then make up a leather neck sheath for it

Topknot

snakedoctor
03-16-2010, 12:56 PM
That looks amazing! Great job on that!

tstetz
03-16-2010, 03:30 PM
Great job! That looks awesome!

COWBOYSURVIVAL
03-16-2010, 03:37 PM
What is "spirits of salt" I am doing a maple handle now and like the look os yours! By the way very nice work!

Eastern Tenderfoot
03-16-2010, 03:43 PM
Gorgeous lines. Shiney :)
love the smaller pins. Very nice looking knife.

Sgt. Mac
03-16-2010, 05:02 PM
Great job Top! Thats a handsome kinife

Creek Walker
03-16-2010, 07:48 PM
Nice knife and thanks for the step by step.

Iz
03-16-2010, 08:51 PM
Looks great, TK.
Iz

lobstercreek
03-16-2010, 09:01 PM
nice job there mr. also wondering what spirits of salt is.

tychoseven
03-17-2010, 09:28 AM
Spirits of Salt (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrochloric_acid) (I had to look it up too!)

Great work Topknot, that looks amazing!

I'm going to try the HCl treatment on a couple woods this afternoon.

COWBOYSURVIVAL
03-17-2010, 11:38 AM
Spirits of Salt (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrochloric_acid) (I had to look it up too!)

Great work Topknot, that looks amazing!

I'm going to try the HCl treatment on a couple woods this afternoon.

Yeah, I looked it up last night myself after noone answered. One thing that i found was be sure to nuetralize it when finished...using baking soda.

SKennard
03-17-2010, 01:06 PM
Very cool knife. Keep up the great work.

tnrick55
03-17-2010, 02:11 PM
good job.

Topknot
03-17-2010, 03:09 PM
Thanks guy's for all the good commentson the knife.
All i done was followed and played around with what Jaat put up in this thread.

Topknot.

dullblades
03-17-2010, 08:27 PM
now thats very cool. great job.

Rook
03-18-2010, 06:54 AM
That turned out sweet TK! Did you apply any stain to the scales or was that the full result of the salt spirits process as I've not tried it yet, but have some quilted maple screaming throw acid on me lol.

Topknot
03-19-2010, 08:59 AM
That turned out sweet TK! Did you apply any stain to the scales or was that the full result of the salt spirits process as I've not tried it yet, but have some quilted maple screaming throw acid on me lol.

Hi Mate, i just followed what you put up , i dip handle in the salts the first time and dry it , then i done it agian and finished with a little light tan leather dye followed by danishoil

Topknot

Rook
03-19-2010, 09:08 AM
Hi Mate, i just followed what you put up , i dip handle in the salts the first time and dry it , then i done it agian and finished with a little light tan leather dye followed by danishoil

Topknot

That turned out beautiful TK,!