PDA

View Full Version : Custom Condor Bushlore

tstetz
03-08-2010, 06:07 AM
Okay, here's my latest one. I had an early Condor Bushlore that I decided to play around with and see what it could become. So, I sent it off to the good folks at Blind Horse Knives and Dan Coppins worked his magic on it for me. He put BHK's excellent scary sharp edge on it, bead blast finished the blade, and replaced the handle scales with green canvas Micarta. The finished product is outstanding. It's a great looking knife and the handle is fantastic.

Great job on the design by Joe Flowers and an awesome job by Dan and BHK for customizing it!

It'll be heading off to JRE Industries for a new sheath in the not to distant future now too.

Rupe
03-08-2010, 07:03 AM
That turned out great! I didn't know BHK did stuff like that. Good to know.

Thanks for the pics and congrats on what looks like an outstanding woods knife.

Joezilla
03-08-2010, 12:50 PM
dude, this thing is AWESOME. NICE MOD!!!

Joezilla
03-08-2010, 12:55 PM
If you guys didn't know. Tim is actually the Designer of the beautiful Blind Horse Bushcraft and Baby Bushcrafter. They will be releasing a scandi version in the near future.

Rupe
03-08-2010, 01:02 PM
... They will be releasing a scandi version in the near future.

I've bought two knives already this year and have got rid of several because I have too many that I don't use. I really didn't want to buy another but it seems you've gone and ruined that for me.

I gotta stop hanging around with you bad influences...:p

goosefacer
03-08-2010, 01:07 PM
Wow, that looks much nicer than the stock piece. I bought one to mess around with and wasn't too impressed. I guess my bang-for-the-buck meter is jaded after buying Mora's for the last few years.

This has inspired me to make my Bushlore better - just picked up a new belt sander ;)

tstetz
03-08-2010, 03:42 PM
Just the Bushcrafter Joe! Dan and LT shrunk her down for the Bushbaby themselves (and it rocks! Wish I *would* have thought of it! :p )

Goose: I'm playing with my Condor Nessmuk now too. Doing that one myself though. I reshaped the handles a bit more to my liking and have a new coat of stain on them now. I need to buff it out and see how it looks.

One of the great things about the Condors is that you get a good basic knife and a great platform to make it your own.

goosefacer
03-08-2010, 08:37 PM
Couldn't agree with you more about the Condors being a great platform to make your own. If you're willing to put the work in they really can be tremendous values as you can see by tstetz's Bushlore.

Does that thing cut as good as it looks? If so I'm getting goosebumps thinking about doing mine.

tstetz
03-08-2010, 08:49 PM
It's a razor. BHK does great work on their edges and they did this one with all their usual attention to detail. Its a hair popper!

Some comparison pics to my BHK ScaatyCrafter and my Bushcrafter (Serial # 000 :D )

trentu
03-08-2010, 09:14 PM
Great knife. He did a real nice job on the handle. That micarta brings out the class of that design.

Talfuchre
03-08-2010, 09:39 PM
...and I hate you for that comparison shot - the damned scatty crafter looks NICE.

You will cost me money good sir! ;)

TF

tstetz
03-08-2010, 09:42 PM
BHK had some Micarta ones as of the Dover show this weekend too:

http://www.knifeforums.com/uploads/1267984689-2.jpg

http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs14/f/2007/079/2/a/Poke_by_tornadobeast.gif

tstetz
03-08-2010, 09:52 PM
Better pic of them off the workbench and at the show:

http://www.knifeforums.com/uploads/1267984731-5.jpg

BUSHscandi
03-09-2010, 01:36 AM
how does the bushlore hold an edge, ive been told bad things

tstetz
03-09-2010, 05:22 AM
So far so good. Have to keep using it longer term to really say. It isn't S30V but then again it isn't supposed to be either. The original BHK Bushcrafter's like mine are 4140 saw steel and they need comparatively more sharpening than say the current O-1 models. In praftice though all I generally do is keep it stropped and it works fine. I don't really anticipate anything different with the Bushlore.

BUSHscandi
03-09-2010, 05:28 AM
So far so good. Have to keep using it longer term to really say. It isn't S30V but then again it isn't supposed to be either. The original BHK Bushcrafter's like mine are 4140 saw steel and they need comparatively more sharpening than say the current O-1 models. In praftice though all I generally do is keep it stropped and it works fine. I don't really anticipate anything different with the Bushlore.

01 in my experience is the best steel for bushcraft, tough, great edge retention, very nice to sharpen. only downside is that it will rust if u dont look after it properly. but for a year, i used a swiss army knife for a bushcraft knife, and it did great, all i had to do was touch it up of my fallkniven dc4 which i kept in my pocket.

Talfuchre
03-09-2010, 07:38 AM
Can I toss this out fully knowing I may be wrong?

Isn't buying the Condor and then getting it rehandled nearly as expensive as simply buying a more expensive knife?

TF

goosefacer
03-09-2010, 09:36 AM
Great question - which is why I'll be doing all of my own work on mine.

cloudraker
03-09-2010, 12:09 PM
Sometimes you just want to figure out is it 9 dressed as a 3 or 3 dressed as a 9... nice to see it's the former

Great update. Hope mine comes in soon. I keep getting an email from knife center.com saying mine is backordered:mad:

goosefacer
03-09-2010, 01:19 PM
Just got my Condor Nessmuk in today. I know it's not the same, but I forgot the shape these knives arrive in (my Bushlore was no exception). Covered in what appears to be metal from the sharpening process, the handles are rough and uneven and the blades are quite dull.

Nothing that's a deal breaker for me, a little elbow grease and they can be made quite usable. I just think people need to understand how these knives come to really appreciate how nice this turned out.

tstetz
03-09-2010, 02:23 PM
Can I toss this out fully knowing I may be wrong?

Isn't buying the Condor and then getting it rehandled nearly as expensive as simply buying a more expensive knife?

TF

You are right. Its probably a better option to do the work yourself although I'm really happy with how this came out.

I am tinkering with my Nessmuk on my own though. It's sitting in the jar of Turpentine and BLO now. Hoping to pull it out tonight and buff the handles and see what I've got!

Talfuchre
03-09-2010, 02:41 PM
It was just a thought - if you are happy - then that is pretty much all that matters in this equation.

TF

daveridesbikes
03-09-2010, 03:08 PM
dude, that looks freakin awesome!
i cant get the last 1/4 inch of the blade(closest to the handle) on my current bushlore sharp, i have ordered three, given the other 2 to family members, and i have nessmuk still in the box. i am starting to get a little frustrated with them and have started looking for a good place to get it reground, i had a regular guy i went to in china-town nyc but i moved. once sharpened there is no problem with edge retention, its just the fit and finish seems to get worse with every knife i order. on this one the handle is not flush with the blade anywhere except the but of the handle, and then there is the last quarter inch of the blade being just about blunt, so um, yeah i like yours better.
sorry for the rant.

Joezilla
03-09-2010, 03:52 PM
You guys are a tough crowd. A company is trying to perfect an edge that they've never done, in a market that they have tried out before, all to give you a hand made bushcraft knife you can use for under $30. At least someone is listening. I just got the newest versions in. I'll do a passaround.

Joezilla
03-09-2010, 04:13 PM
http://bushcraftusa.com/forum/showthread.php?p=149007#post149007

shooter11b
03-19-2010, 04:39 PM
I am also working on modifying my Condor and will post pics when it is done. I am going another route though, I am changing the blade shape a bit.

shooter11b
03-19-2010, 11:55 PM
Just finished grinding down the top edge of the blade and it came out great, looks a lot like a Bushlore now, kinda cool actually! The handles are next. I have some pics below of the old shape compared to the new. All done on an old grinder with a worn out wheel, hand files and a stone.

Old Shape:
http://i750.photobucket.com/albums/xx146/shooter11b/Condor/OldGrind2.jpg

New Shape:
http://i750.photobucket.com/albums/xx146/shooter11b/Condor/NewGrind2.jpg
http://i750.photobucket.com/albums/xx146/shooter11b/Condor/NewGrind1.jpg

walkabout
03-20-2010, 01:32 AM
Yo joe! whats up bud, any word yet when the hudson bay is going to hit the market,
Im itchin' to get my hands on that baby!

trentu
03-20-2010, 05:04 AM
That new shape seems to flow better than the original.

tstetz
03-20-2010, 08:06 AM
Yeah, BHK got rid of that hump on the back of the blade on mine too. Pretty sure new ones won't have that. You're blade does flow better without it I think.

I'm itching for a Hudson Bay too. I got to try one out for review but had to send it back. I liked it a lot.