PDA

View Full Version : Making a bedroll

Stormstaff
03-10-2010, 04:10 AM
Ok, maybe my "search-foo" sucks but can anyone point me in the direction of a post or article with pics about making a bedroll. I have a cheap Singer sewing maching that I need to learn to use and I had a thought.

Make a bedroll, with a pocket if possible to slide a Thermarest pad into and big enough to hold a couple of wool blankets and maybe a sheet if the blankets are on the itchy side.

I know this wouldn't be the lightest setup but it's a thought. :)

Thanks in advance for any help, advice, direction, etc!!!!

God Bless

Kirk

hog
03-10-2010, 06:18 AM
Not a tutorial as such but Sticks65 made a sleeping mat from space blanket and other materials, I am sure he would explain to you if you contacted him, there is a thread I think in self made gear.

kgd
03-10-2010, 07:36 AM
I recall seeing a post over here using home made tin cloth (waxed cotton duck) as a cover for their bedroll. The end product was very nice and the tin cloth can serve as a ground cloth afterwords. Or you could go with a tarp to do the job.

Vilkas
03-10-2010, 05:19 PM
I would be curious to see the instructions for tin cloth I have a recipe for oil cloth that looks good but have yet to try. I don't know what would be a better material but I would guess oil cloth would be superior.
As far as a bedroll I don't have any pics but all I did is take an apropriate sized canvas tarp (painters drop cloth) wash it and dry it to get the weave to tighten up. Then either wax or oil. I then figured (if I remeber correctly) I took my heighth added about 3' and my chest measurement or belly depending upon which is greater and added three feet. I decided to round the measurements up so What I had was a 9'x9' canvas sheet. I then added tie out points at the corners and every 18". This then gives you a 9'x9' tarp for a shelter. Or plenty of room to make a bedroll I would simply lay the tarp down throw my sleeping bag or blanket down then the tarp over and tuck about 12-18 under my feet. I went with the extra length because a 9x9 tarp is really versatile and as a water resistant bedroll gives you a good place to keep footwear, water or whatever warm and hopefully dry for the morning. with the extra material for the width I like to have plenty of room to move around and for air to circulate especially in warmer weather so I would simply tuck the extra material under me loosely for more room and warm weather and more tightly in colder. I never got around to treating the tarp with anything traditional but Thompson water seal worked well enough though next time I would dye the material before treating it this way.

Trekon86
03-10-2010, 06:07 PM
http://bushcraftusa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3709&highlight=bedroll

Also related, the blanket-roll pack:
http://bushcraftusa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3442&highlight=blanket+roll

:D
PMZ

GreyOne
03-10-2010, 06:16 PM
Check this recent thread on German Army poncho shelter, Bmatt
made a bedroll with an old army blanket and a space blanket. Sounds like a very workable modern adaptation.

<http://bushcraftusa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=291 >