PDA

View Full Version : puukko knife

ny bushcrafter
03-23-2010, 06:46 PM
does anyone own a puukko knife and use it a lot? if so does it have any weaknesses or advantages?:rolleyes:

GreyOne
03-23-2010, 06:50 PM
Funny you should mention Puukko's . I just ordered a Jarvenpaa Puukko today from Ragnar's Ragweed Forge. Should have it in by the end of the week, and will hope to try it next weekend.
There are several here who have one, Trek I believe has an hierloom one.

Trekon86
03-23-2010, 07:11 PM
I have the heirloom puukko that my grandma found at a yardsale in the 70s. Was passed down to my Dad, it was sitting around in his toolbox with no sheath. I felt bad for it and made some pants for it out of Kwila wood from PNG:
YouTube - Kwila Wood Puukko Sheath (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6sAbsjmwfM)

I don't use it much but I got a puukko from Jesster swap before last, it is nice, he handled it in Leopardwood and birch or some such, it's nice and pretty, very lively in the hand, good carver. That blank is made by Lauri of Finland, you can get em really cheap from Bens or Ragnar's and DIY.

Cheers,
PMZ

scosmo451
03-23-2010, 08:54 PM
Was just looking at puukkos last night on Ragnar's and around. Really, I think I need a leuku, too.

My puukko is a Normark branded Marttiini about 16 years old. It's not a traditional piece of kit - stainless, 5 inch, rubber handle - but it sure is a good one. One of my two most carried fixed blades. It gets very sharp and holds the edge fairly well, though could be better. Carves wood quite excellently but definitely not a chopper - it's easier to carve through a branch than to chop at it, though I do still chop through 1-1 1/2" stuff. Really good at fishing chores, which makes sense since it looks like a thick-bladed filet knife. It's spent thousands of hours in the water. I really wish I had bought a few more way back then, especially as I got it on sale for $15.

The only problem I've ever had is when the original epoxy gave up the ghost last year and I had to reglue. Puukkos aren't traditionally full tang and with a hollow rubber handle like mine, combined with the chopping, I broke the original epoxy down enough that I could tell the handle was different. I worked on it until I got it apart and then filled the handle to overflowing with new. I don't anticipate another problem there - I basically have a rubber wrapped epoxy handle now.

http://i847.photobucket.com/albums/ab36/scosmo451/Knives/NormarkPiecesb.jpg

http://i847.photobucket.com/albums/ab36/scosmo451/Knives/MyMarttiiniNormarkb.jpg

Mattnu
03-23-2010, 09:12 PM
Puuko is one of my favorite knife styles. I have three, non-traditional since all have stainless steel blades. One Martiini, one Fiskars and a Finn-Bear from Cold Steel. I have used Puuko inspired blades from Case and K-Bar as well. Like Mora knives they are simple, no frills and work well beyond their blade lengths. Puuko are working knives even though the handles and sheaths might be fancied up a might.

tstetz
03-23-2010, 09:49 PM
I have a number of puukkos as well as a variety of other Scandi ground knives (Moras etc.) from a bunch of manufacturers. My favorite type of knives. Light weight but superb cutting characteristics. From basic plastic handled users to fancier traditional styles, they're all great, just a matter of the style and finish you prefer.

Skab
03-23-2010, 09:50 PM
I have a Woodsknife hiker puuko that I got in a swap on here. Love it, kind of my drawer queen as I'm scared I'll mess it up. Darn thing is scary sharp though.

dangerfox
03-23-2010, 11:45 PM
This is a puukko that i made. It was one of the first knives i built. The blade is a Helle Odel. I made this wishing i had a Jukka Hankala puukko.http://i975.photobucket.com/albums/ae236/Dangerfox12/Mobile%20Uploads/mms_picture-4.jpg

wildjim
03-24-2010, 03:05 AM
A couple Puukko knives.

Not much different than a Mora of Sweden?

Okbushcraft
03-24-2010, 09:10 AM
I got a nesting pair from alteredmentalstatus in trade #2. I LOVE them! They are a bit fancy but I don't/won't own drawer queens so they have to work for a living. Nice feel in the hand.

Cpl Punishment
03-24-2010, 09:46 AM
I bought the Jarvenpaa Leuku/Puukko combination in a piggyback sheath from Ragnar's several years ago. I got the ones in carbon steel with the black forge finish

Pros:
- Very easy to sharpen, just lay the main bevel on the stone, sharpen , then add a small microbevel to that for edge retention.
- They carve wood extremely well -- this is the strongest point in the use of a Scandi grind.
- The edge angle is very acute, and they slice like demons. I dropped my leuku from about 1/4" above one of my fingers, and it cut me nearly to the bone through leather gloves, and I didn't feel anything but an itchy feeling. That's sharp.
- They tend to come with larger handles than similarly sized modern knives, which makes them much easier to use for long periods.
- The spine being in line with the top of the handle means you have both a good point for drilling, and enough belly for skinning.

Cons:
- The Scandi grind isn't the best for cutting meat and such. Not that it won't do it, and do it well, it's just not optimal.
- If you like to pry with your knife, these aren't the knives to do it with.

As for pure strength, I'd personally go completely Scandi and carry an axe with one for the heavy work. However, when I first got my Puukko/Leuku pair, I wanted to see how much of a pounding they can take. No, I didn't chop cement. I figured the hardest thing I'd ever do with a knife for real would be to baton with it. So I got some birch and oak rounds I have in the yard. These are very seasoned, and extremely hard (like axes bounce off hard). I batoned at least a dozen pieces with each the puukko and leuku. The puukko would still shave afterward, and this is when I dropped the leuku and cut through the leather glove and almost to my finger bone. That's tough enough for me. Anything harder than that, I'd use an axe or kukri for.

Most people IO talk with like the Jarvenpaa Aito puukko above the others, but I have the standard Lapp puukko from Ragnar's, and the curly birch has very nice figure, and feels good in hand. Best part is, you can order two of them for the price of one Aito. Much like you can order the Jarvenpaa Lapp Leuku for a little over a third the cost of a Stromeng. When I asked Ragnar about the two, he told me that the Stromeng is nicer, but not sure that it's that much nicer.

IMO try the Jarvenpaas first and see if you like the knife design, and you can get the more expensive ones later.

longhunter
11-09-2011, 11:46 AM
IMHO the Puuko can't be beat, its a workhorse, sharpens easily and holds an edge, fits my bear paw hand perfectly. If only I had stumbled across them sooner I could have saved a ton of money. Would'nt trade them for anything.

kalama
11-09-2011, 01:15 PM
i own this ranger puukko,a military puukko,its by far my favorite an most used knife,this happens to be my second one ,lost the first one,,,you wouldnt believe how many hogs my two rangers have put down..best puukko i ever owned,an i owned a dozen or so.
http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk69/kalama3/eds/039.jpg

Wildmike
11-09-2011, 10:49 PM
I have a jaarveenpa puuko. It's great and has served me very well for years.

steve_t
11-10-2011, 04:26 PM
I have one by Martinni, whose factory is here in Rovaniemi, Lapland. Bought it today after a visit to the factory store. With about 150+ types to chose from, this was not a rush purchase. Will report on its use a bit later....

Sandcut
11-10-2011, 06:58 PM
Bought it today after a visit to the factory store. With about 150+ types to chose from, this was not a rush purchase.

I am the most envious man in the world at this moment. :)

steve_t
11-11-2011, 11:59 PM
I am the most envious man in the world at this moment. :)

I am a nervous wreck after this, as you can no doubt imagine. Wanted to take all 150 (well, maybe only 149 of them, there was one specially for mushroom collectors I could maybe have managed without).

neverused
11-12-2011, 12:38 PM
The first fixed blade knife I ever had was a puuko kit that my dad helped me build when I was 11. While it didn't turn out like the works of art we see here, it has changed little over the years and still works great. It's a great blade shape.