PDA

View Full Version : I am RICH

grey wolf
03-23-2010, 06:54 PM
Well if you look at being rich as lots of money then I am broke. But I figure that having my friends on here and my family and the knowledge I have then I am pretty rich. The other day a friend said not to let work consume me and to get out for some me time. Well I did and I was trying to carve a spoon which turned into a coffee scoop. The moral is listen to your friends sometimes they have lots of wisdom and it doesnt matter if you turn a spoon into a scoop as long as you are relaxing. So this is my qustion to yall whats the best advise you have gotten and what is rich to you?

GreyOne
03-23-2010, 07:14 PM
Build a fire, use your scoop, make coffee, enjoy the day.
"Give thanks each day for your friends and family, try to give back some of what has been given unto you, and your riches will return ten fold." Essence of my grandfathers philosophy.

grey wolf
03-23-2010, 07:21 PM
Build a fire, use your scoop, make coffee, enjoy the day.
"Give thanks each day for your friends and family, try to give back some of what has been given unto you, and your riches will return ten fold." Essence of my grandfathers philosophy.

Your grandfather was a very wise person.

Chazz_Hiben
03-23-2010, 07:24 PM
Yea, I have high school to worry about. It seems like its always on my mind. I have projects due. Tests on fridays, math grade is really really bad right now. It seems like even when i get in the woods i am worryed about school. Cant wait tell i am out and can do my own thing.

GreyOne
03-23-2010, 07:36 PM
Yea, I have high school to worry about. It seems like its always on my mind. I have projects due. Tests on fridays, math grade is really really bad right now. It seems like even when i get in the woods i am worryed about school. Cant wait tell i am out and can do my own thing.

Chazz, even when you get out of school, that elusive freedom to "do my own thing" never really happens.
Unless you are born really wealthy, you are going to have to
work to keep a roof over your head and food in your belly. That means you have a schedule, a boss, and a set of responsibilities to meet. Getting time to do what you want is a rare and precious commodity, at least for a responsible adult. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news here. ;)

grey wolf
03-23-2010, 07:40 PM
Very true GreyOne I have been on my own for years now and it never seems to get any easier Heck a friend and I were talking the other day saying we wished we could go back lol.

Michael
03-23-2010, 07:44 PM
Mates are the most importent thing you can have they have my back when times get tuff I would rather have my mates then money any day of the week

iamnetminder
03-23-2010, 07:48 PM

I couldn't agree with you more it's all the projects that you have to worry about at home and then remembering crap for tests (Spanish is by far my weakness). I guess we've got to build off of each others strength and say screw it what hurts us only makes us stronger. Does that work there?:D Any way good luck with math

tennecedar
03-23-2010, 07:55 PM
Hone your blade when you're done using it. It'll be sharp when needed.

TeeDee
03-23-2010, 08:18 PM
Education has value , but can be over rated;

Education is ( as an example ) Knowing all the different sorts of clouds , knowing how clouds are formed , understand the water cycle of clouds to water, water to mountain streams , mountain streams to valley rivers , valley rivers to the sea , the sea to clouds. Knowing what chemicals make up a cloud. Understanding how light through mists create rainbows. Knowing the legends of rain gods in every society and civilization known to man.

Intellect is carrying an Umbrella.

Between Education and Intellect , choose to have JUST enough education and then Multiply That with your intellect. Don't overstudy a subject. Apply the Subject.

I guess that like the old tale about the NASA Scientist whose car breaks down on the way to the Cape to take part in Rocket Launch , Cars isn't working and he can't fix it. Along comes some 17 year old grease monkey from the local little garage....

What to value? The things you possess , even as they get taking away from you.
Because you had them in the 1st place while many would never have know what it was like...

Also value Love , True Love be it for a person , a sport , activity whatever. To be passionately consumed by something for its intrinsic pleasure is a great and rare feeling.

swamprat
03-23-2010, 08:26 PM
Education has value , but can be over rated;

Education is ( as an example ) Knowing all the different sorts of clouds , knowing how clouds are formed , understand the water cycle of clouds to water, water to mountain streams , mountain streams to valley rivers , valley rivers to the sea , the sea to clouds. Knowing what chemicals make up a cloud. Understanding how light through mists create rainbows. Knowing the legends of rain gods in every society and civilization known to man.

Intellect is carrying an Umbrella.

Between Education and Intellect , choose to have JUST enough education and then Multiply That with your intellect. Don't overstudy a subject. Apply the Subject.

I guess that like the old tale about the NASA Scientist whose car breaks down on the way to the Cape to take part in Rocket Launch , Cars isn't working and he can't fix it. Along comes some 17 year old grease monkey from the local little garage....

What to value? The things you possess , even as they get taking away from you.
Because you had them in the 1st place while many would never have know what it was like...

Also value Love , True Love be it for a person , a sport , activity whatever. To be passionately consumed by something for its intrinsic pleasure is a great and rare feeling.

Amen! I am amazed at how some allegedly educated people have a very little or no common sense. If you don't believe look at all the smart people who voted for health care reform (sorry I couldn't help myself with the political reference).

upthecreek
03-23-2010, 08:31 PM
Websters defines wealth "much money or property:riches". Having money for your necessities is great. Some extra even better. Having a place to call home is a must for stability. Having some extra even better. It's the riches that provide wealth in my opinion. Peace of mind in well being and ability to care for yourself and your loved ones. Honing skills and constantly being able to ingest knowledge to better ones self's ability is of a value that no money can buy.

Mattnu
03-23-2010, 08:47 PM
Last year I realized how rich I truly was. It's not because I have all the money I could spend, but because I learned that earning more wouldn't improve my life. It would let me spend more, but there isn't more that I need. I've got decent health, a family I love and a couple of loyal dogs. It took me a long time to learn that rich isn't about the money.

Mattnu
03-23-2010, 08:51 PM

Chazz, don't despair. I hated every minute and worried the whole time I was in high school. I went, did the work to the best of my ability and hated it. It wasn't until several years after graduation that I realized that I learned a lot more than I realized and it bore fruit all the rest of my life. I still hate school, but haven't stopped going or learning. Some days they even let me teach a class or two. ;o)

TeeDee
03-23-2010, 08:54 PM
Amen! I am amazed at how some allegedly educated people have a very little or no common sense. If you don't believe look at all the smart people who voted for health care reform (sorry I couldn't help myself with the political reference).

That brings me nicely onto another point.
I am a firm believer that Balance is one of the hardest things to master in life and to an extent society.
I don't think a society that is either too far in favour of the individual is any 'better' or balanced then one that is in to much in favour of the Mass.

In all things it is the middle ground, the mean that brings the most optimum growth and sustainability for all participants and society is a game of all participants.

Most likley not a popular view amongst many here , and in honesty thats fine , but as a FORUM we should on occasion challenge each others viewpoint in objective manner.

Its OK to agree to disagree.:)

Easy_rider75
03-23-2010, 09:20 PM
Gey wolf your friend is a wise man for saying that to you. Yeah sure we all need money to survive but not to be wealthy I do consider myself rich in the number of great friends I have online which is a lot more from all the different forums I vist but the few close ones I have offline as well. But as a couple have said knowledge is the greatest wealth you can acquire. Hell with me I always said if I had the choice of either being poor(broke) or rich money wise and not healthy I would take poor and healthy any day of the year no contest. I am thankful I can get out of bed myself everyday.

Pinebaron
03-24-2010, 05:10 AM
Part of being rich is remembering that the journey is more important than the destination concerning life. Being rich is looking back upon your life with the ability to say I have lived well or for you younger types it is looking forward with the idea of living well. No money involved.

rocketbomb
03-24-2010, 09:12 AM
Been in a Bible study going through Ecclesiastes this semester, this passage from chapter 5 might be a bit applicable here:

Here is what I have seen to be good and fitting: to eat, to drink and enjoy oneself in all one's labor in which he toils under the sun during the few years of his life which God has given him; for this is his reward.

Not trying to turn this into a Bible study, just thought this was an interesting connection.

Chazz_Hiben
03-25-2010, 06:54 PM
Chazz, even when you get out of school, that elusive freedom to "do my own thing" never really happens.
Unless you are born really wealthy, you are going to have to
work to keep a roof over your head and food in your belly. That means you have a schedule, a boss, and a set of responsibilities to meet. Getting time to do what you want is a rare and precious commodity, at least for a responsible adult. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news here. ;)

Thanks for the info G1, finally getting a hold on my math grade.

Avair
03-25-2010, 07:53 PM
Thanks for the info G1, finally getting a hold on my math grade.

about math...... remember that math never gets harder after the 7th grade....just more complicated, all hard problems seem to always end up with some basic 6+8 question. and [my-teacher.com] on you tube can help a lot!

Fjason123
03-26-2010, 07:07 AM

Hang in ther Chaz! I'm here to tell ya it DOES get better. I really hated school and I can remember having the same struggles. It was alway bearing on my mind and many times ruined other activities. It will soon be over. Sure there are lots of other problems in life, but in a sense, you do get to "do your own thing" in the real world.
Don't feel pressured to go straight to college after highschool either. You can usually work an entry level position in most fields and see if you like it before going for a degree in that field.
I know it probably seems like an eternity before you graduate HS, but you will be amazed when you are older looking back at how quickly it went by.
One more quick word of advice: Don't think you are stupid just because you struggle with school. I know so many guys (myself included) who went through much of their adult lives thinking they were stupid because they did poorly in school....only to find out later in life that they really are quite smart. Most public school systems are not structured well for young boys that are high energy, creative, athletic, etc. That's why so many men do well in trade schools and vocational schools. The US military understands this well. Many young men leave highschool with low GPA's and excel in the ranks when taught properly with LOTS of hands-on training along with studying.
I'm convinced that if the public schools would teach math & geometry in the woods by measuring the angle of cuts made in your tent pegs with your mora and if physics was taught by measuring the velocity of the 22 round you fired with your own rifle, young boys would excel. If they would have tought that way when I was coming up, I would have aced every class.

Fjason123
03-26-2010, 07:09 AM
Well if you look at being rich as lots of money then I am broke. But I figure that having my friends on here and my family and the knowledge I have then I am pretty rich. The other day a friend said not to let work consume me and to get out for some me time. Well I did and I was trying to carve a spoon which turned into a coffee scoop. The moral is listen to your friends sometimes they have lots of wisdom and it doesnt matter if you turn a spoon into a scoop as long as you are relaxing. So this is my qustion to yall whats the best advise you have gotten and what is rich to you?

Rich to me is when I see my 3 year old look at me and say, "I love you daddy!". That can't be bought with gold and I wouldn't trade it for all of Trump's towers!