PDA

View Full Version : Mil-surplus Trangia stove

Bushpuukko
01-27-2009, 04:03 PM
Picked up one of these at a military surplus store and had to get out and test it. Filled it with 91% alcohol and boiled several pots of water for hot chocolate. Did pretty good for no more than what it is. It boiled a lid full of water in about 6 mins and burned for almost 25 minutes.

Ripmyfly
01-27-2009, 05:14 PM
I have a couple just like that. Makes up Ramen noodles in no time!

Rubarb
01-27-2009, 05:24 PM
ah ha, ye faithful Swedish Army Trangia, got one of those here as well, bomb proof bit of kit imo, i modded mine by riveting a steel plate in the bottom of the windshied to cover up the big hole and hey presto an impromptu hobo stove was born:), seem to hold up fine to having a fire lit directly in the windshield.

GreyOne
01-27-2009, 06:40 PM
I cut a bit of expaned metal screen and put in my windscreen, just to keep things more stable and unitized. Will have to try a solid plate like this, it would be more versatile in areas where open flames are dnagerous.

pure_mahem
01-28-2009, 12:52 AM
For less soot on your cook pot try using meth it burns cleaner than the rubbing alcohol and doesn't leave the water behind when you get done burning. It's the drygas that does NOT remove water or in truck stops Brake Line Antifreeze.

Sgt. Mac
01-28-2009, 04:07 PM
Is that windscreen part of the GI kit or did you make it.? I have a three piece German mess kit that would fit in there perfectly it seems. I use a Esbit stove and tabs for mine that I nest in the mess kit when not in use

Trekon86
01-28-2009, 06:38 PM
Is that the same as this?:
http://www.armysurpluswarehouse.com/product/brass-cooking-burner-2854.cfm

I just ordered one a couple of days ago...
PMZ

GreyOne
01-28-2009, 07:01 PM
Trekon, looks like the same burner that comes in the cook sets. I bought several of the complete sets to give to kids, friends, etc. , bak when CTD had them for about 10.95.

Trekon86
01-28-2009, 07:13 PM
Yeah I also ordered a canteen cup stove to accompany my cup.
PMZ

Bushpuukko
01-29-2009, 04:03 PM
Trek, make sure you check the brass cap. I noticed mine was cracked in 3 places. :mad: Can't carry it fueled up now, disappointing. I'll slap some JB Weld on it and see if that fixes it.

Rubarb
01-29-2009, 04:11 PM
Trek, make sure you check the brass cap. I noticed mine was cracked in 3 places. :mad: Can't carry it fueled up now, disappointing. I'll slap some JB Weld on it and see if that fixes it.

Think i have a spare burner here that i dont use mate, if i can find it you can have it

Oblio13
01-29-2009, 04:18 PM

Mine cracked, too. I just carry the fuel in a bottle and don't use the cap.

Trekon86
01-29-2009, 04:33 PM
How do you guys carry em fueled up in the first place? Wouldn't the fuel leak out of the jets?:confused:
PMZ

Rubarb
01-29-2009, 04:36 PM
You should have a brass lid with a rubber seal in it PMZ, just screws on the top

Trekon86
01-29-2009, 05:51 PM
Ah, I see.
I was picturing the jets being around the outer rim of the brass pot.
PMZ

GreyOne
01-29-2009, 05:52 PM
And you have to be careful never to put the lid on while the stove is still hot, or you will melt the rubber seal.

Trekon86
01-29-2009, 05:55 PM
Would it be possible to replace the rubber O-ring with a leather one?
Maybe then it wouldn't melt or burn...
PMZ

rik_uk3
01-29-2009, 06:40 PM
Would it be possible to replace the rubber O-ring with a leather one?
Maybe then it wouldn't melt or burn...
PMZ

No, leather won't last.

The idea is you remove the nitril 'O' ring and drop the cap on the burner to snuff it. When the unit is cold, replace the 'O' ring and seal the unit. The ring should come out easy enough.

You guys should look at proper Trangia's, these army kits are not really up to much, just OK as a last resort.

I'll dig out my research results Army alcohol V Real Trangia, boil times, fuel consumption etc and post them here, you will be suprised at the difference.

pure_mahem
01-30-2009, 01:03 AM
Also the trangia comes with an additional snuffer/simmer cap so you don't have to mess with the O ring to snuff out your stove. I keep one in my BOB/treking bag But I use a home made super cat in my day bag.

Sgt. Mac
01-30-2009, 09:34 PM
Is that the same as this?:
http://www.armysurpluswarehouse.com/product/brass-cooking-burner-2854.cfm

I just ordered one a couple of days ago...
PMZ

Looks like a fair price there Trek, I've seen them cost more hope it works out well for you

GreyOne
01-30-2009, 09:38 PM
The mil surps I bought all worked just fine, the only downside was being slightly heavier than a "real" Trangia. For the price difference I was willing to accept that weight <G>.

Trekon86
04-01-2009, 11:52 PM

Well I got it a few months ago and I've had it filled for a long while now, and seemingly it hasn't leaked at all, so I guess mine wasn't cracked.
Whew!
PMZ

Trekon86
04-02-2009, 12:00 AM
BTW guys, I don't know which one of you posted this link, but do the O-rings for the Trangias these people are selling (two for 2.50USD) work on the Swedish Army models?
http://www.ultralight-hiking.com/stoves-trangia.html
Thanks,
PMZ

Finnman
04-02-2009, 01:09 AM
Thatīs great set. I have been using one for years now.

111t
04-11-2009, 11:03 AM
That kit is good and VERY durable. They came in both stainless and aluminum cookpot variants. The loops on the handle of the smaller pot and the bail on the bigger one make it ideal to transition to cooking over a fire. The only downside is that they are very, very heavy for what they do. Over the last couple of years there was a massive sell off of these on the surplus market. At one point it was possible to get 4 complete kits plus 4 additional burners, bottles and windscreens for less than $25. This glut of surplus has dried up and the prices are rising and the units are getting harder to find.

There's another entry level trangia type stove i would recommend...
http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___81212
http://www.bushcraftusa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1215
The military burner will work with this kit... you just need to set it below whereas the consumer burner is held in place by the lower windscreen. And before anyone asks... ALL of the sales literature I've ever seen for this stove shows it assembled WRONG. I can assure you that if you get one you will quickly decide that the way Optimus assembled the stove (same as what I show) is the right way.

rik_uk3
04-11-2009, 03:17 PM
That kit is good and VERY durable. They came in both stainless and aluminum cookpot variants. The loops on the handle of the smaller pot and the bail on the bigger one make it ideal to transition to cooking over a fire. The only downside is that they are very, very heavy for what they do. Over the last couple of years there was a massive sell off of these on the surplus market. At one point it was possible to get 4 complete kits plus 4 additional burners, bottles and windscreens for less than $25. This glut of surplus has dried up and the prices are rising and the units are getting harder to find.

There's another entry level trangia type stove i would recommend...
http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___81212
http://www.bushcraftusa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1215
The military burner will work with this kit... you just need to set it below whereas the consumer burner is held in place by the lower windscreen. And before anyone asks... ALL of the sales literature I've ever seen for this stove shows it assembled WRONG. I can assure you that if you get one you will quickly decide that the way Optimus assembled the stove (same as what I show) is the right way.

I had 5 for $15 if I remember right from an American stove buddie (plus postage of course, a few years ago). To cook with the Aluminium are better, this metal spreads the heat better than stainless steel. In fact Aluminium is a better choice for cook pots all round, better than SS and far better than Titanium to cook with.

Best way to look at this system is an open fire setup with a meths burner as back up; sorry to say I really don't rate them at all, in fact I have only one SS and one Aluminium 'for old times sake' I would never think of taking them out camping. Get a real Trangia and you will see a vast improvement in cooking :)

Spork
06-19-2009, 01:04 AM
Is that windscreen part of the GI kit or did you make it.? I have a three piece German mess kit that would fit in there perfectly it seems. I use a Esbit stove and tabs for mine that I nest in the mess kit when not in use

The Swedish windscreen needs to be modified a little to hold the German kit. I trimmed the top off about an inch and cut a rectangular hole in front to allow the handle to snap in.

Sgt. Mac
06-19-2009, 03:42 PM
Thanx spork you got real talent with that stuff

Spork
06-19-2009, 03:43 PM
I don't know if it's talent or just crazy :D

Spork
06-19-2009, 04:32 PM
Here is my Gassy Swede hack :D

I chose the Stansport stove because it was cheap (under $25), had a long solid feed tube that would reach outside the windscreen and had the control valve at the canister end.

It's really not a good stove...loud and sputtery. I think it would have been better if it has a generator tube incorporated. I didn't want to spend too much on the burner as I wasn't sure my plan would work.

I made a bracket and mounted the burner onto the lid of a round tin. The bottom of the tin can be used for storage of matches or other small items when packed up. The Stansport can be taken apart without tools and since I didn't have to modify anything, it can easily be restored to it's original configuration.

After playing with it for awhile, I decided that the original stand was not high enough for the burner. I added four holes in the windscreen for a couple of steel tent stakes to hold the pot higher.

Spork
06-19-2009, 04:47 PM
The top half of the mess kit can't be used as a lid when the pot is hung by the bail.

I made an auxiliary lid to solve this problem. The mess kit can be closed with the lid in place, although it is a bit od a nudge to close the latch/handle.

Sgt. Mac
06-19-2009, 04:48 PM
In the 3rd pic, that is a Swede mess kit not german right?

Spork
06-19-2009, 04:50 PM
In the 3rd pic, that is a Swede mess kit not german right?

Yes, I have painted and unpainted Swede kits. The German ones are kidney shaped, while the Swedes are oval.

That same photo also shows the proper way to stow the hanger hook.

Sgt. Mac
06-19-2009, 05:05 PM
When using the Trangia Stove in the wind screen how is the cooker suspended over it. (German or Swede)

Spork
06-19-2009, 05:21 PM
It sits on the folding wire stand inside. The bail and hook is used to suspend the pot over an open fire.

Spork
06-19-2009, 05:26 PM
A recent experiment...or...stupid Bacon tricks :D

I made a Bacon grease Kudlik and tried it out as a burner for the Swede kit. Burned for 45 minutes and never got the 2 cups of water to a boil...produced about ten pounds of soot on the bottom of my pot though :rolleyes:

Sgt. Mac
06-19-2009, 05:36 PM
How many aprox uses do you get out of one bottle of fuel for the Trangia?

Spork
06-19-2009, 06:09 PM
Don't really know...never actually measure the fuel like I do with other Alky stoves. I've used the civilian Trangia more than the military Svea/Trangia burners (they were manufactured by both companies). I think the civilian Trangia is more efficient and gets up to speed faster because of it's smaller mass.

I think I recall that a full fill in the military burners will bring 4 cups of water to a boil...but only just to the boil sometimes...and other times to a sustained boil for a couple of minutes depending on conditions.

I take a 16oz bottle with me on a weekend with a civilian Trangia...and have come close to...but have never run out. That's usually for a single person though.

Spork
06-19-2009, 06:15 PM
My Penny Stove burner for the Swede kit. Slightly modified by re-arranging the jets to fit the oval shaped pot better.

rik_uk3
06-19-2009, 06:37 PM
Strange thing is, Trangia did not make these kits, they did make some of the burners but not the majority, hence I call them Swedish Army alcohol cooksets (plus I don't want my beloved Trangia's tarnished by what are IMHO a POS).

Bushpuukko
06-20-2009, 08:13 AM
Looks good Spork. I've been thinking about taking my cookset to work and bead blasting it. That green paint is almost gone anyway. Thanks for the pics and posts.

Andy2112
08-12-2009, 07:05 AM
I like my SAT. ;) I have both the issue one and the civvy one. The civvy one i converted to take gas with an alpine burner. For what they are they are bombproof.

Here's a link to a guy on here, Nolightweight, who did a mod so you can use a frying pan or wok on top of the windshield. Absolutely brilliant. Cheers Neil.:D

http://www.bushcraftliving.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5958