PDA

View Full Version : A.G Russel Texas Ranger Rope Knife 2010

trentu
05-30-2010, 06:52 PM
I bought one of these because I needed a new everyday knife that was a folder but also could handle my unusal tasks. I often find myself cutting boxes open but also making things as well. I tried this knife made of 8Cr15MoVI from A.G Russel.
The old rope knife design remined me of one that John Wayne used in a movie. (Sorry don't know the name of it). This one is .233" thick and has a blade of 3.125" long and 1.5" wide at the base. The overall length is 8".
The handles are made of a black micarta. On the one side is a small 11/16"
madallion that says:" Texas Ranger 1823-2010". That's okay because the Texas Rangers deserve some praise.
The leather pouch sheath that comes with it is VERY stout. Because of the post type closer for the sheath I has to cover the inside post more with a small peice of electrical tape so it would not scratch the knife. After the sheath takes form I think I will be able to remove it.
I chopped some wood with it as well as carved a hole in a stump. The knife stayed very sharp and took the abuse. I then slit some 2" wide sticks by pounding the blade down with a small log. There was no loosening of the blade.
I then went on to food prep. It sliced the pork ribs for supper good and also did a good job of skinning that small membrane off the ribs. As far as vegitables it did real good for as thick as the blade is because it tapers very thin to the blade edge. Taters were nicely sliced.
Out of 10 I give this knife a 9. It cost $90+ shipping but worth every penny when I consider how much use it will get.

Sgt. Mac
05-30-2010, 06:58 PM
Thats cool lookin Trent I've never seen a knife like that before

Nerual the Mad
05-30-2010, 07:02 PM
That's a sexy little knife you got there. Nice find. Use it in good health.

trentu
05-30-2010, 07:02 PM
I never did either Sgt. Mac. A friend of mine sent me an email that said I better look at their website. Feels real good in the hand!

Buckskin
05-30-2010, 07:37 PM
Looks like a sturdy folder! Would be a nice addition to The Texas Ranger Museum in Waco, TX

Jäger
05-30-2010, 07:51 PM
Sweet!

fhm615
05-30-2010, 08:08 PM
Reminds me of the old Sunfish knives. I think Case used to make one in this style. A.G. Russell has some classy knives. I think they sponsor a booth at blade show each year.

Regards-

muggin
05-30-2010, 08:30 PM
sturdy is right. holy crap it looks like a full tang. definitely one of the cooler folders i've seen

S.Gossman
06-02-2010, 02:06 AM
Very nice. A.G. carries some quality stuff.
Scott

SigNY
06-02-2010, 01:15 PM
That is a nice knife! I have never seen that particular design but after looking up the sunfish design type knives I really like it. Good pick up.

mneedham
06-02-2010, 04:26 PM
Thanks for this review, I was looking at this blade in the new AG catalog... I like it. The blade is apparently supposed to be a cross between the elephant toe and sunfish patterns... The in-hand shots are really helpful. Only problem is that now I want one:(...

ffchris
06-02-2010, 04:47 PM
Reminds me of the old Sunfish knives. I think Case used to make one in this style. A.G. Russell has some classy knives. I think they sponsor a booth at blade show each year.

Regards-

I was going to say the same thing. It reminds me of a locking version of the old Case Sunfish. I think there was another similar knife called an Elephant's toe or something like that.

Luckypaul777
06-06-2010, 04:37 PM
I collect the E-Toe/Sunfish in Case and Bulldog Brand; considering picking one of these up. My only reservation is; if the quality is better than the Rough Riders and Marbles; from China. I bought one of each junk in my opinion; I hope AG Russell would have higher quality standards.

Paul

trentu
06-06-2010, 06:22 PM
luckypaul777, The quality is superb! If it was junk I wouldn't haul it around with me. No problems yet.

Luckypaul777
06-06-2010, 07:44 PM
Thanks trentu, definitely will pick one up.:)

Paul

werewolf won
06-07-2010, 09:04 AM
I own a different A.G. Russell and like it very much. It’s nice to hear other people agree that they are an upfront company with some quality products. Thanks for the review on this interesting knife.
Wolf