PDA

View Full Version : New Catagory

rik_uk3
02-23-2009, 08:56 AM
When I come online here I tend to look at the 'new posts' tab to see what is happening.

Over recent weeks the threads seem to be moving away from bushcraft chat and more onto weapons, ammo, knife fighting techniques, knife / weapon concealment, TEOTWAWKI, politics, and immigration; hardly bushcraft which is why I joined. It would be such a shame to see this trend continue and hijack the forum. I'm a member of several dedicated survivalist sites and visit them to discuss the topic but I don't come to a bushcraft site expecting the same stuff.

This is a young site with room to develop into a great US bushcraft resource but could end up putting people off joining if recent topics continue. I recommended two mates to take a look and join up, both visited, read posts and said no thank you, its not bushcraft.

So maybe setup a dedicated section for end of the world stuff before it really is to late? and let the rest of the site remain bushcraft orientated?

I mean no disrespect to any members here.

Richard

reverendCPA
02-23-2009, 09:01 AM
I to have seen the trend Rik, and try not to get into it to much, however with the current political climate over here in the US this is really what is on the minds of Americans right now. I think they will continue to pop up in current posts, this is a possibly life changing course of events happening and could signal the begining of a huge pardigm shift in everything we know and love.

I would humbly ask you to just bear with us Americans for a bit, we'll get back on track once the shock wears off a bit.

MrGatoMan
02-23-2009, 11:12 AM
Ditto to what Rev said but It would be nice of us to try and post up more bushcrafting stuff. Simply because it will help take out minds off all the junk going on over here.

reverendCPA
02-23-2009, 11:14 AM
Agreed Gato... I myself will make an effort to put up more bushcraft related items.

Faol
02-23-2009, 01:45 PM
Sometimes people put things in the wrong categories, such as this suggestion. I have moved this thread to the "Suggestions" category, instead of "General Discussion".

If you look at the categories of the posts you are referring to, they are generally in "The Pit" section, and other appropriate categories, such as knives and firearms. The problem that you are referring to is that categories are not shown on the New Posts listing. Unfortunately, we cannot change that.

The people of this board, make the board. There are issues that are on their minds and they want feedback from others, or to share their views. By not responding to disagreeable posts, you will minimize their ranking.

IA Woodsman
02-23-2009, 03:12 PM
Rik I have noted the same thing. I am guilty of posting on said threads. I will also make an effort to post more bushcraft related items.

Trekon86
02-23-2009, 03:18 PM
I will try to post more threads of my own in bushcraft-related topics.
I have noted this but as Faol says, the people make the board and the "categories" don't show up in the No Posts section.
I myself will try to refrain from posting so much in those threads if that makes you feel any better.
PMZ

Jason
02-23-2009, 03:39 PM
Trekon I think you should continue to post as much as you like on any topic you choose. I also note that there have been fewer bushcraft related topics as of late but I'm not going to tell anyone how to post. If you want to talk about politics, guns or knives then go ahead, just keep it in the right place.

Perhaps we can all add a bit more to the bushcraft in this forum. This is where the experienced members can share some of their knowledge. You have to keep in mind that a small site only has so much knowledge to draw on and it's up to those leaders to mentor the less experienced. Many people who come to this site are looking for help, not to show off their knowledge. Perhaps we can't compete with the larger bushcraft boards after only five months but we need time for that. I guarantee they didn't become giants in 5 months and neither will we.

I appreciate everyone's concern for this forum and all suggestions are taken into consideration. I can't guarantee that every suggestion will be honored but we will do our best.

Thank you,
Koa

GreyOne
02-23-2009, 05:05 PM
I too have been guilty of posting on threads not directly related to bushcraft. However, they were clearly on topic in the section they were in. Rik, I have visited a number of UK bushcraft sites, and observed that they have a lot of posts that are not "bushcraft" as well. Less politics, more "social chatter". I think as long as the posts are in appropriate fora, no harm is done. I would hope your friends would browse some of the skills and gear fora, and see what they find . I think the current economic and political mix has a lot of us concerned, and several here are either newly unemployed or in danger of being so- that brings us a new focus, one that hopefully will fade with a bit of time.

bmatt
02-23-2009, 05:11 PM
Here's a thought: Maybe there haven't been quite as many posts on bushcrafty-type stuff lately because it's February and most of the people on this board are in the northern hemisphere. I.e. it's freakin' cold in a lot of places and, although there is much bushcraft that can be done in winter, lots of folks hide out inside most of the time (myself included, unfortunately) until spring comes.

Well, that and the fact that the global financial system is crumbling before our eyes and people are hurting and have less time for/interest in hobbies. It's a sad state of affairs, indeed. I find that when I do get a chance to get out, though, it makes a world of difference. It's something I can always look forward to, no matter the state of affairs of the world. The woods are always the woods.

Keyser Söze
02-23-2009, 08:25 PM
spring is coming...and after the taxes are done... buschraftUSA is gonna bloom :D:D

bmatt
02-24-2009, 03:55 AM
spring is coming...and after the taxes are done... buschraftUSA is gonna bloom :D:D

Well said. :)

I'd like to let Koa and Foal know that BushcraftUSA is my favorite forum on the Internet. Honestly. I check new posts several times a day and, while I often don't have time to respond to every post I'd like to, I really enjoy reading them. I've met some great guys on here who I probably would never have met otherwise and have gotten lots of good bushcraft/gear advice from guys both older and younger and have also tried to help others with ideas on certain tools, methods etc.

Come spring and summer, FinnMan (who has been insanely busy with changing jobs, raising his 1-year-old son and 1,000 other things) and I will be going on a bunch of bushcrafting trips (including an Estonian island called Saaremaa, the lake region of eastern Finland and, hopefully, Lappland) and you can be sure we will be putting up lots of pics and stories.

I'm also looking forward to hearing about everybody else's springtime trips, adventures, inventions, projects, gear and skills. Only a few weeks left until we all start to thaw out!

Pict
02-24-2009, 06:44 AM
Every board has its own character (and characters). I also pop on and check new posts as a routine. It would be nice to see more bushcraft related posts and new threads. The end of the world stuff is depressing. I think there is a fine line between being informed and preparing accordingly and obsession/fantasy about future events.

One thing I've noticed on boards in general is that threads about gear get far more attention than threads about skills. Its almost like people are looking for something to buy rather than something to do. In that context threads about "Skynet" get way too much attention as if people who can't buy, and won't do, can fantasize for free. Mac

Oblio13
02-24-2009, 07:04 AM
I to have seen the trend Rik, and try not to get into it to much, however with the current political climate over here in the US this is really what is on the minds of Americans right now. I think they will continue to pop up in current posts, this is a possibly life changing course of events happening and could signal the begining of a huge pardigm shift in everything we know and love.

I would humbly ask you to just bear with us Americans for a bit, we'll get back on track once the shock wears off a bit.

Well said.

bmatt
02-24-2009, 08:26 AM
Hmm. I don't know if ignoring something just because it's depressing is a good idea. Being as open-minded as possible is probably a very good idea these days, as no-one can see the future and say that "X, Y or Z will never happen".

I agree with your take on lots of people (epecially on other forums) being overly obsessed with gear. But that's what you get when you live in a place full of "consumers" (we actually call ourselves that... :()

Every board has its own character (and characters). I also pop on and check new posts as a routine. It would be nice to see more bushcraft related posts and new threads. The end of the world stuff is depressing. I think there is a fine line between being informed and preparing accordingly and obsession/fantasy about future events.

One thing I've noticed on boards in general is that threads about gear get far more attention than threads about skills. Its almost like people are looking for something to buy rather than something to do. In that context threads about "Skynet" get way too much attention as if people who can't buy, and won't do, can fantasize for free. Mac

Jason
02-24-2009, 02:58 PM
The great thing about a forum is that if you want to directly influence the topic of discussion you can simply start a new thread on whatever you like. This forum is now in all of your hands and we'll let it go in whatever direction you take us.

Keyser Söze
02-24-2009, 06:53 PM
well at least some people post and talk about something... compared to more than half of the registered members that have 0 posts;) -just sayin'and some stopped posting like they had a limit :D;):) and they dont want to break it...and they are some experienced and cool people...that i would like to learn from and pick up new stuff or old stuff:D