PDA

View Full Version : Supper

Ripmyfly
09-28-2008, 08:36 PM
As some of you know my wife's been outta town this weekend. I have been cooking & canning all day & got zero sleep last night because of shelling peas. Anyway I have 24 quarts of crowder peas & 10 quarts of sweet potatoes canned & cooling off on the counter.

This morning I made up a brunswick stew thingie. I cooked up some country ham pieces & chopped them up. Then I seared some chicken thighs in the same skillet. Next I browned some venison tenderloin. Placed all this in crock pot & added 2 cups V8 juice, fresh okra, carrots, potatoes, butter beans, barley & 1 jar of Jimmy's BBQ sauce. It slow cooked for 10 hours. I took a large butternut Squash & forked it & cooked for a hour & half @ 350. When finished I cut it open & mixed fresh butter, brown sugar, & a little cinnamon with it.

Just as Juls was coming in door from long trip fresh HOMEMADE buttermilk bisquits were coming out of oven which were to be served w/ butter & homemade peach preserves.

I am now going to bed w/ a full tummy & glad that Mr Mom duties are done for now.

Jason
09-28-2008, 10:25 PM
Well thanks now I'm hungry. I wish I could try it for myself! Was she proud of you?

Faol
09-28-2008, 11:35 PM
Very industrious. Lots of quarts in a day. Those two pressure canners work much better than just one. Great job!

Are you going to try canning some meat?

Ripmyfly
09-29-2008, 07:35 AM
Yes, but I have to finish the sweet potatoes & apple butter first. Maybe in a couple of weeks.

Koa, I think she was :rolleyes:

Ripmyfly
09-29-2008, 08:07 PM
The apples have been going for 13 hours in the crockpot. Dang they look & smell sooooo good. After cooking all night in the morning i have to pass all these apples through a sieve to get rid of fibers & skins. Then add cinnamon, brown sugar, cloves, & sugar. Then it will cook an additional 12 hours in crock pot w/ lid off to reduce to a smooth butter texture.

By late tomorrow it will be time to can & make another batch to finish off the apples. Wife has asked if I would make some applesauce as well.

Dang, why didnt I start this before deer season?

BOWGUY
09-29-2008, 10:31 PM
what does okra taste like?
is that the okra that looks like it has seeds in it?
do you eat the greens or the pods?
i tried mustard greens "fresh"at the super mart and about lost it!
im assuming you have to steam or cook these greens???

dont laugh too hard as im trying to put mix greens in with all the meat i eat.

Faol
09-29-2008, 10:38 PM
what does okra taste like?
is that the okra that looks like it has seeds in it?
do you eat the greens or the pods?
i tried mustard greens "fresh"at the super mart and about lost it!
im assuming you have to steam or cook these greens???

dont laugh too hard as im trying to put mix greens in with all the meat i eat.

Okra can be cut and put in stew, fried in a bit of cornmeal, pickled and boiled. I don't like boiled as it gets a bit slimey. I prefer it fried, but in a good vegetable soup or stew, it is also great.

I am not a big fan of greens myself, and I grew up on them.