PDA

View Full Version : Cooking fish on a fire

mountain joe
07-27-2010, 12:19 PM
While camping with my wife recently, I caught a couple Grayling. I decided to take a video of how I cooked the fish over the campfire. Useing a willow stick with a fork in it, I bent the fork over, overlapped and tied the ends in place with strips of willow bark. I then weaved willow sticks in and out to make a lattice work of twigs to lay the fish on. I followed this with more sticks to hold the fish in place. I was able to hold the fish over the fire and rotate the fish at will. See video link below for demo. Hope you enjoy it.

[/URL][url]http://www.youtube.com/user/phreshayr#p/u/0/RVqT7z7zPXE (http://www.youtube.com/user/phreshayr#p/u/0/RVqT7z7zPXE)

Okbushcraft
07-27-2010, 12:32 PM
Nice vid, I like the basket/grating you made. Simple enough that even I could do it. Great info.
Subbed your youtube page.

mountain joe
07-27-2010, 01:10 PM
....Simple enough that even I could do it. Great info.....

I sometimes have difficulty describing things so others can understand what I'm talking about.:rolleyes: Glad it made sense for you.

Ps thanks for the youtube sub. I hope to be putting up more vids in the next couple of weeks on natural shelters, fire building and bushcraft type stuff I've made that makes bushcraft type camping more efficient and comfortable.

akbound
07-27-2010, 03:47 PM
Thanks for the video! Have to ask you though, the scene at the end of video with you and the dog looking out over the the river and the valley, where is it? I ask because it looks very similar to an overlook I use to enjoy in Alaska looking out and down at the Matanuska River. (From the overlook I'm speaking of it looked like this view forward and to the right and to the left off in the distance you could actually see several glacial fields that made up the Matanuska Glacier.) At any rate, a beautiful shot of you and your dog sitting there!

mountain joe
07-27-2010, 04:24 PM
It is indeed the Matanuska River valley. The overlook is one of my favorite spots to get some alone time and do some thinking. It may be the same overlook you are thinking of though not many know of it as no publicly known trails lead there.