PDA

View Full Version : User Profile Block to guests/ not logged in members

Skab
08-02-2010, 11:28 PM
Anyway to make it so if a person is not logged in they can not view your profile?? I wont lie I like to know who's checkin up on me! And if they can log in I dont think they should be able to view my profile.

Jason
08-02-2010, 11:31 PM
Not sure if that's possible. We will look into it.

pik
08-03-2010, 10:46 AM
A simpler alternative might be an "Introductions" section of the Supporters Forum? Just an idea.

Skab
08-03-2010, 10:55 AM
A simpler alternative might be an "Introductions" section of the Supporters Forum? Just an idea.

As in lose the profile altogether? Not sure I'm following you. I enjoy reading the profiles, and see who is friends with who and what not. I just don't want guests and people that have no business looking at my info. To me if you cant take the time to register and log in you have no right to read my info. If it was able to be controlled I would put more info on it, that I normally dont want the whole world knowing about me.

Skab
08-03-2010, 11:00 AM
Just now I checked the "who's online" and of that 9 guests were viewing user profiles.

SkogKniv
08-03-2010, 11:02 AM
As in lose the profile altogether? Not sure I'm following you. I enjoy reading the profiles, and see who is friends with who and what not. I just don't want guests and people that have no business looking at my info. To me if you cant take the time to register and log in you have no right to read my info. If it was able to be controlled I would put more info on it, that I normally dont want the whole world knowing about me.

I think you have a good idea. Profiles might be better off just viewable to registered members.

The staff however move at a slow pace, being primates and all. Give Faol some time to work out the new features before we send him into a jungle rage on figuring that one out :D

http://lostvikingblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/monkey_office_1a1.jpg

FrauHilda
08-03-2010, 11:04 AM
I think you have a good idea. Profiles might be better off just viewable to registered members.

The staff however move at a slow pace, being primates and all. Give Faol some time to work out the new features before we send him into a jungle rage on figuring that one out :D

http://lostvikingblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/monkey_office_1a1.jpg

Cute pic, haha :D

pik
08-03-2010, 11:10 AM

I meant to suggest moving extra information into an introduction in the "members only" forum, and keeping only basic information in profiles. Then only supporters could see your introduction thread there, with for example your real name, town, or whatever. I just suggested an alternative that takes advantage of already-implemented security because I know sometimes adding user permissions can be very ugly and still have loopholes, depending on the structure of the code (not familiar with vBulletin myself).

But I agree that changing viewing permissions on profiles would be the ideal solution.

EDIT: On a similar note, should the Introductions forum also be only viewable after logging in? Lately there have been some one-line introductions, but some have written more.

Guy
08-03-2010, 12:20 PM
Its changed.

Skab
08-03-2010, 12:37 PM
Awesome You are the man!

Bernie Garland
08-03-2010, 01:01 PM
Anyway to make it so if a person is not logged in they can not view your profile?? I wont lie I like to know who's checkin up on me! And if they can log in I dont think they should be able to view my profile.

Now its it been sorted, are you adding a bit more info about you :D:D:D

Bernie

Skab
08-03-2010, 01:06 PM
I will

Bernie Garland
08-03-2010, 01:14 PM
I will

Good coz i'm a nosy git :D:D:D:D:D:D

Bernie

Jason
08-03-2010, 01:38 PM
Just now I checked the "who's online" and of that 9 guests were viewing user profiles.

Those are usually the web crawlers poking around, databasing your life, calling your ex-girlfried, and stealing your credit card number. Nothing to be concerned about really.

pik
08-04-2010, 04:32 PM
Does the FAQ need to be updated to reflect this change? http://bushcraftusa.com/forum/faq.php?faq=vb3_user_profile#faq_vb3_public_profil e

Guy
08-04-2010, 05:09 PM
Does the FAQ need to be updated to reflect this change? http://bushcraftusa.com/forum/faq.php?faq=vb3_user_profile#faq_vb3_public_profil e

Nah.