PDA

View Full Version : Useful thread locator

Seeker1968
08-04-2010, 12:04 AM
I think it would be great to have a way to find useful posts.

When a technique is taught or something that is not common knowledge is posted it would be great if there were a collection place that was easy to browse through were available.

I know I have probably missed a lot of great posts, but I am limited by my imagination of what to put in for search criteria to find them, and the search results only display the whole thread where the keyword was displayed.

I am not sure what the capabilities are of vBulletin. I assume it is running on LAMP (linux,appache, mysql, PHP) so it should have some flexibility. Perhaps you could have some kind of marker like the thanks button for individual posts within a thread, where users get to nominate a thread for usefulness.

I think there are a lot of great posts buried here somewhere that should be collected and cataloged.

Just my 2 cents

tennecedar
08-04-2010, 12:07 AM
I think it would be great to have a way to find useful posts.

When a technique is taught or something that is not common knowledge is posted it would be great if there were a collection place that was easy to browse through were available.

I know I have probably missed a lot of great posts, but I am limited by my imagination of what to put in for search criteria to find them, and the search results only display the whole thread where the keyword was displayed.

I am not sure what the capabilities are of vBulletin. I assume it is running on LAMP (linux,appache, mysql, PHP) so it should have some flexibility. Perhaps you could have some kind of marker like the thanks button for individual posts within a thread, where users get to nominate a thread for usefulness.
I think there are a lot of great posts buried here somewhere that should be collected and cataloged.

Just my 2 centsWe do I think. I just thanked you for your useful post.

Rubarb
08-04-2010, 03:01 AM
we have a few threads that have info etc set as stickies, however, unlike some forums we dont sticky every useful thread as we would have masses of static threads at the start of each sub forum and we dont want that, however, what we also have is a membership with a huge knowledge base and if a question is asked about a specific tool or skill thats been covered before, then the membership can & do point the questioner in the right direction, there is also the search function that works very well and thankfully again, our membership will do the search themselves and post the results, rather than just saying 'use the search function' which seems to be the standard response elsewhere on the web.

GreyOne
08-04-2010, 04:25 AM
And using the search function well is a big help. Here is a link to a very basic tutorial on "Search" functions:
<http://bushcraftusa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15051 >

Seeker1968
08-04-2010, 06:43 PM
We do I think. I just thanked you for your useful post.

Everybody thanks everybody on here. That is not particularly useful for singling out anything USEFUL.

Seeker1968
08-04-2010, 06:47 PM
And using the search function well is a big help. Here is a link to a very basic tutorial on "Search" functions:
<http://bushcraftusa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15051 >

Gee really? You get 99% crap when you search for anything and you need to weed through tons of posts before finding anything of any value. This goes for google or any search function as well.

If you read what I post, I suggested a bucket of sorts to contain the useful items, not just a sticky at the top of threads. I didn't realize people would have issues understanding the concept of what I was suggesting. I wasn't being critical of the content here, just suggestive.

Skab
08-04-2010, 06:55 PM
Gee really? You get 99% crap when you search for anything and you need to weed through tons of posts before finding anything of any value. This goes for google or any search function as well.

If you read what I post, I suggested a bucket of sorts to contain the useful items, not just a sticky at the top of threads. I didn't realize people would have issues understanding the concept of what I was suggesting. I wasn't being critical of the content here, just suggestive.

What I do is subscribe to the posts I feel are useful or I wont to beable to find again. If I post and dont really want to get notified of the responses I take it off my subscriptions, which you can do in the thread tools tab.

GreyOne
08-04-2010, 07:04 PM

Oh , we had no issue understanding what you were suggesting, we just thought you _might_ need help understanding how we all cope with the issue, and seem to function well.
TBH, if you want to start sniping sarcastically at people who answer you, you will soon find no one answers your posts.
JMHO.

pik
08-04-2010, 07:08 PM
I have had good results using the Advanced Search (http://bushcraftusa.com/forum/search.php) feature here at BCUSA. For instance, searching titles only will drastically cut the amount of "crap." You can search for "Tags" as well, which ideally would have the functionality you suggest, but not everyone uses the tags and tagging systems tend to be squirrely anyway. Thread "Rating" is another theoretical indication of thread quality, but no one really uses that here.

To locate good threads without knowing in advance what you're looking for, go into a forum and click on either "Views" or "Replies" in the column header, and the threads in the forum will be sorted by that statistic. Usually good threads have lots of views or lots of replies.

And I'm sure G1 read what you posted.

Seeker1968
08-05-2010, 07:29 PM
Sorry if I seemed a bit touchy, but it seems like a good idea to me. This is a suggestion board, and well I was making a suggestion to which everyone seemed to get defensive about and point out how to use a search feature.

I made the suggestion because I though it would make this a better forum not set everyone into defense posture. My mistake.

Guy
08-05-2010, 07:47 PM
Seeker, I have no idea how that could be done without the bucket becoming overcrowded itself. There would need to be parameters set for what goes in the bucket, and then further parameters so that it stops at a certain point. Who decides all that, and who administers the process and the bucket itself? I am not willing to take anything like that on.

The staff all have jobs and volunteer their time here. Koa is a professional with a full time job and on-call responsibilities. I spend many hours a day dealing with this site, that was supposed to just be a simple forum. I have things that are already being worked on, and are in the queue for roll-out before anything else, with more things waiting behind it. It now consumes my life and I am not willing to take on more at this time.

GreyOne
08-05-2010, 08:01 PM
Sorry if I seemed a bit touchy, but it seems like a good idea to me. This is a suggestion board, and well I was making a suggestion to which everyone seemed to get defensive about and point out how to use a search feature.

I made the suggestion because I though it would make this a better forum not set everyone into defense posture. My mistake.

Indeed ? The only defensiveness I see is, frankly, yours.
The suggestion was not seconded by anyone, perhaps because it was not perceived as a real need. The search function was suggested, because , for most of us it works quite well.
The problem with your suggestion is that we have in two years reached 4600 members, nearly 260,000 posts, and over 15,000 threads. There are a LOT of good nuggets in those threads, many valued by one member are not the same as those valued by another. Any "bucket" would merely be an overwhelmingly large number of threads and posts in a very short time.
For those who learn to use the sub forum layouts, and utilize the search function efficiently, it is possible to locate most of the things wanted relatively quickly, and without being buried in "crap" as you so eloquently put it.

Sgt. Mac
08-05-2010, 08:38 PM
I thank members alot. I think its a form of courtesy, and feed back to that particular members post that I either agree with what they said, that I read and acknowledge their thread, or simply to thank them for making that post. In this forum by your name you will notice not only how many posts you have made, but also how many times you have thanked, or been thanked. I like to keep the number that I have thanked Twice the number of my total posts, which in my case is over 21,000 times. I think its part of our DNA on here, and besides the steller membership we have on here, keeps this a civil and thoughtful forum