PDA

View Full Version : Micarta

Jason
04-10-2009, 08:09 PM
I think Micarta is just plain fugly, period. But as far as knife handles go I'm not sure anything comes close to the durability of micarta. I know this because I tried to reshape one of my Busses with a micarta handle to fit my hand. I used a Dremmel and it wasn't half as easy as expected. I'm sure some of you already know this but there are so many choices for handle materials but they just don't stand up to the abuse that micarta does. I recently beat up some rubber and wooden handles while batoning (yes I know you shouldn't aim for the handle) but the micarta came out without so much as a nick.

What other materials do you like for your handles that can stand up to abuse?

Rubarb
04-11-2009, 03:09 AM
I have a couple of Micarta handled knives, one of them is highly polished and looks great,the other, well it looks like someone just glued a load of cheapo fabric to the tang, but yep it's tough old stuff

GreyOne
04-11-2009, 05:10 AM
Have a thrower with a micarta handle, it has taken a lot of bangs on targets with no appreciable damage. Still fugly!

Ripmyfly
04-11-2009, 06:32 AM
I dont have a micarta handle yet, but I will.

crookedknife
04-11-2009, 03:09 PM
What other materials do you like for your handles that can stand up to abuse?
If you like natural materials, try some of the burly or tough woods. I like that part of a tree where a limb joins the trunk. I've used that part of the spruce tree several times for handles - incredibly tough. I tested a piece once before using it - finally smashed it with a sledge, but it didn't break. You also might try persimmon wood. It isn't that attractive, but could be stained. I have read that persimmon is used for the wood in golf clubs because it is so resistant to splitting. I couldn't imagine either one of these coming apart as a result of batoning.

CloaknDagger
04-28-2009, 02:14 PM
I'm kinda partial to micarta's appearance, and i do love how well it shrugs off abuse. Rubber handles, like on my Scrap Yard Knife Company blades, get shredded by abrasion against wood. I think that G10 is comparable in strength, though it's a little slippery compared to Micarta. My only real complaint is that Micarta slabs can get knocked out of alignment on your handle.

Yeah, you had trouble while using a power tool on the stuff? I had to mod my RTAK-II handle with only sand paper and a bastard file...that sucked

Iz
05-02-2009, 01:50 PM
As far as looks , I'm with you. I'm not a huge fan of Micarta for beauty but I haven't found much that is as durable. Maybe some of the stabilized woods but I still think Micarta will out perform them.
If I'm going to use a knife in the bush, I go with micarta usually. Hardwoods like dogwood, osage orange and the like are decent choices though if you're not batoning the handle.:D
Later,
Iz

Keyser Söze
05-02-2009, 06:39 PM
stabilized hardwood or resin wood are good choices ,il post in knife #### my last knife that i own, some you saw it at the ball...

Jason
05-02-2009, 09:11 PM
Yeah, you had trouble while using a power tool on the stuff? I had to mod my RTAK-II handle with only sand paper and a bastard file...that sucked

I started out with a file and sandpaper. That lasted all of 5 minutes. :D