PDA

View Full Version : Cold Steel Pocket Bushman

sdjsdj
08-22-2010, 05:59 PM
Any opinions/experience with the "Pocket Bushman"? Seems like a pretty good knife for $25.

http://www.amazon.com/Cold-Steel-Pocket-Bushman-Stainless/dp/B001DZT4WQ/

pat_t
08-22-2010, 06:02 PM
I looked at one yesterday in a local sporting goods store. I had no idea how huge the thing is. It is really a large knife.

OregonDave
08-22-2010, 06:12 PM
I tried one at a local gun show. I'd like one, but I couldn't quite get it through my head how to close it safely. :o

Large and beefy. IMO, well worth the money if you can fly it right.

OD

Mountain Ron
08-22-2010, 06:22 PM
I tried one at a local gun show. I'd like one, but I couldn't quite get it through my head how to close it safely. :o

Large and beefy. IMO, well worth the money if you can fly it right.

OD

Its easy. Hold it by the back of the blade in your strong hand and with your weak hand pull straight out with the cord and pull down on the handle at the same time. It will fold right up safe as can be.

fhm615
08-22-2010, 06:27 PM
I think these are AUS-8 Steel which does very good in hard use/survival applications. I own a bunch of cold steel products and I have yet to have one fail. I am very hard on my gear. :)

Let us know how it works out if you get one. I have heard a lot of good things about this knife overall. Great price as well.:)

countrydave
08-22-2010, 06:28 PM
I don't have personal experience with one but I did see Nutnfancy's review of it. The knife does appear to have a flaw.
Check it out:

YouTube - Cold Steel Pocket Bushman: Broken Hopes (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SHvzmUcIKc)

desertp1
08-22-2010, 06:29 PM
it is a nice knife but i stopped carrying it. it is large. it came shaving sharp though. it is a little uncomfortable to use for long periods because it is all metal and thin.

tiny80022
08-22-2010, 06:37 PM
they are krupp 4116 steel not aus 8. I have heard they are a good knife for the price

fhm615
08-22-2010, 06:40 PM
I don't have personal experience with one but I did see Nutnfancy's review of it. The knife does appear to have a flaw.
Check it out:

YouTube - Cold Steel Pocket Bushman: Broken Hopes (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SHvzmUcIKc)

Wow! Sorry to hear this. Maybe some kinks need to be worked out. Thanks for the heads up.

fhm615
08-22-2010, 06:53 PM
they are krupp 4116 steel not aus 8. I have heard they are a good knife for the price

Never tried any krupp steel. Thanks for the heads up!

Solphilos
08-22-2010, 07:19 PM
I think I'd love to try the knife if Cold Steel had simply stuck with a liner lock design, or hell, even a slipjoint would have been nice. Sorry Cold Steel, I don't carry knives with simple springs as part of the locking mechanism.

Swampfox
08-26-2010, 07:08 AM
The last I heard on those knives was that the lock was redesigned to address the spring problem. Since then people on other knife forums say they are a good knife. I don't have one, but it looks like the Douk-Douk pattern w/a lock.

tiny80022
08-26-2010, 09:47 AM
This is from the cold steel web site

Q: What is 4116 Krupp Stainless Steel?
4116 is a fine grained, stainless steel made by ThyssenKrupp in Germany and is used for hygienic applications (medical devices and the pharmaceutical industry) and food processing which make it a superb material for kitchen cutlery. The balance of carbon and chromium content give it a high degree of corrosion resistance and also impressive physical characteristics of strength and edge holding. Edge retention in actual cutting tests exceeded blades made of the 420 and 440 series of stainless steels. Other alloying elements contribute to grain refinement which increase blade strength and edge toughness and also allow for a finer, sharper edge.

I use to be a diehard coldsteel fan. Then i got to thinking about it, they claim to be the sharpest strongest knives in the world, but they only have a five year warranty on their fixed blades and a one year on their folders. Seems to me if you have the strongest knives in the world they should be lifetime warranty. Just my opinion.

Overgrown
08-26-2010, 10:32 AM
Check it out:

I am a BIG Cold steel fan but this review is on the money... there is a big flaw in the design.

I bought one when they were 1st introduced and it took me less than a day to ruin that spring. Another thing I did not like was the fact that the handle is smooth a little sweat and it start to slip and if you grip tight the thing isn't that comfortable.

I love my Bushman and mini Bushman but.... unless they change a few things I don't care for the pocket Bushman at all.