PDA

View Full Version : Rebar

Buckskin
08-28-2010, 10:59 AM
http://grcsandiego.com/joomla/images/phocagallery/rebar/Rebar-big.jpg

Has any one ever used to rebar (concrete reinforcing bar) to make knives, strikers and various other tools from?

I have made hay hooks, bolts, pins and other simple farm/ranch tools from it. It is kind of springy. By that I mean you can bend the dickens out of it before it will break.

Sgt. Mac
08-28-2010, 11:05 AM
A Buddy of mine made tent stakes for me out of them by welding a larger washer on the top. They can also be used for staking down traps and snares too

matt.s
08-28-2010, 11:23 AM
[IMG]Has any one ever used to rebar (concrete reinforcing bar) to make knives, strikers and various other tools from?

I have made hay hooks, bolts, pins and other simple farm/ranch tools from it. It is kind of springy. By that I mean you can bend the dickens out of it before it will break.

Most garden-variety rebar is made to a peformance spec rather than a material spec. That means it tends to vary considerably in terms of content and have questionable homogeny. There is little knowing what's in it. It tends to be more hardenable than mild steel (even than A36) but there is not guarantee, and it's still too mild to make much of a decent blade. These characteristics can make it awkward to work. Furthermore the texture can cause cold-shuts that eventually lead to splits and cracks if your hammer technique is a little lacking.

Rebar can make for an interesting texture for tool handles -- fire pokers etc. -- and may contain a useful amount of alloying elements to harden to a degree. However this quality varies so much from piece to piece, and even within a few inches along a piece, that its use should be avoided. Furthermore any hardening ability is limited -- you don't want your reinforced concrete to snap. Properly specced tool-making steel -- 1045, 1070, 1095, O1 etc -- isn't very expensive.

verticalgain1
08-28-2010, 12:18 PM
I have seen some good looking things made from rebar, and I'm sure you could use it to practice hammering out a blade profile, etc. if you want some decorative knives.

As has been said, however, rebar isn't any one kind of steel. It also isn't the kind of mix that would be positive, it is more than likely mixed with what would be weaker knifemaking materials.

Very useful stuff if you've got a forge, but not for making real knives.

Windshadow
08-28-2010, 03:41 PM
It can be heated and hammered to make tripod legs, grills, and a lot of other useful camp fire furnishings, and without too much trouble .