PDA

View Full Version : Limited new-member capabilities

pik
08-30-2010, 10:57 PM
Disclaimer: As a new member I also did the things in the following list; this suggestion comes from introspection as much as outward observation.

Whereas:
membership appears to be increasingly increasing;
there have been comments from established members about the quality, placement, and/or number of posts by many of these new members;
new members often join and then start a thread to ask a question which duplicates an already existing thread that has been "buried"; and
new members may be "overly enthusiastic" in general or misunderstand the intent, attitude, and/or history of the forum owners or members;
I suggest that new members be unable to post for a short period of probation in which it be understood that they are reading threads in the forum.

Skab
08-30-2010, 11:10 PM
While I like the idea, and the reasoning behind it. It seems to be best handled by the mods. They do a great job on sorting that type of stuff out.

Jason
08-30-2010, 11:12 PM
We try to lead by example here and give appropriate advice to the new members as necessary to help them along. It has never been our intent to silence new members from posting unless they are disrupting the forum. It is inevitable that members will ask duplicate questions and can be helpful just to post a link to the old thread if you feel it would be useful for them to read. Misplaced posts/threads can be moved by moderators if you bring it to our attention.

pik
08-30-2010, 11:58 PM
I just don't like things like tonight's situation. :(

But I see your point; you're probably right.

EnglishManInOntario
08-31-2010, 11:37 AM
I agree with Koa - I lurked here for a few weeks to get the lay of the land before registering to make my first post. It would have been irritating to have finally had something to say/ask and not being able to post :)