PDA

View Full Version : Help on a new pack

3fires
09-19-2010, 11:23 AM
I have a small daypak, 1000-1200 cubic inch for day hikes, and an external frame pack which is too large, top heavy, and uncomfortable for me to use. I beleive it's a 3500-4500 cubic inch. I don't know the metric conversion.

I'm currently looking at an internal frame middle ground pack, 2500-3500 cubic inch or so, that can lug some weight comfortably, 20-50 pounds, and has area for larger items, like a big cook pot/ pan. This will be the pack I use for 3-7 day hike/ camps.

This is the pack I'm considering, but not sure on the quality. http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ItemDetail.aspx?sku=Molle-126

The main compartment is ideal for what I need and will leave room for items I may find along the way and allow access without removing the entire contents. The site says it's 20x19x12, but I think it's smaller. And, I like the fact that it can be opened wide up for access and loading. I tried a similar pack on at the surplus store and it doesn't seem that big.

If you have any tips, experience with this company/ product or other suggestions I'd really appreciate it. I have zero experience with that company or this style of pack.

It does have a removable padded waist belt, contoured padded shoulder straps, sternum strap and several compartments, including one large compartment for my bigger items. I am limited to about 75.00 OTD. This pack fits my body good and has the room and compartments I'm looking for.

I do lots of trail hiking for distance, but spend a great deal of time cutting through brush and swamp as well. I'm looking for a well balanced pack that is low profile enough not to get caught up in branches and stuff. I can't afford a 300.00 pack, so unless I buy used top of the line is out of the question. I'm willing to sacrifice some quality, but don't want to end up with a pack that has zippers and stitching that fails under load.

It's hard to determine whether a product is poor, good or high quality based on reviews and an ad description alone. I'm hoping the experienced folks here can help me choose a good "3 day" pack that will hold up to moderate abuse and still not break the bank.

BTW, the only reason I call it a "3 day" pack is that is what most of the packs I've seen on the web are called that are in this size range.

Thanks!

KA-BAR
09-19-2010, 11:30 AM
i have this pack. its made by condor, and the quality is very nice. i have had mine for about a year now. you can see it in my gear list in the "kit that KA-BAR built" thread.

3fires
09-19-2010, 12:01 PM
Thanks KA-BAR! I don't have that much gear, but do like the adaptability and comfort of MOLLE type packs and equipment, but am completely open to other suggestions.

Basic first aid kit
Cookware-full size!
Bedroll
Small dome tent
Change of clothes
extra boots/ socks
Room for a coat
firestarting
hunting and gathering stuff
fishing gear, etc.
cordage/ rope/ tarp or plastic, etc.
A couple knives
possibly an axe or saw
personal hygeine
camera/ tripod
flashlights

Off hand I think that's about all I carry on an extended trip
oh, and mostly dried food, and water or container to carry water in.

KA-BAR
09-19-2010, 01:15 PM
the straps and cumberbun are very comfortable. it has a great hidden hydration pouch with a velcroed port for the hose. i use the space for a large tarp and a smaller ground cloth.

i also have a molle hydration bladder/backpack that can piggy back onto the 3-day pack as seen in some of my pictures. this increases the bags carrying capacity and also gives me yet another area to store a water bladder.

so with a guyot /nalgene, some ziplocks or platapus containers and 2 hydro bladders, there is enuff water storage for me and company if needs be.

3fires
09-19-2010, 09:39 PM
Sweet!

I still haven't decided on a pack though and am open to all suggestions. Hint hint!

Please offer suggestions. :) I know many here use a pack of some sort.

What are some quality brand names for MOLLE attachment packs?

DTRAX
09-19-2010, 09:53 PM
NEW TO THIS AS WELL I GOT THE LARGE ALICE PACK AND FRAME LOVE THE PACK GOING TO ORDER THE MED ONE THIS WEEK FOR A DAY PACK AND CAN SWITCH STUFF BACK AND FORTH...

3fires
09-20-2010, 02:01 PM
Thanks DTRAX.

I didn't get a lot of replies so I went digging here and found the info I needed. http://bushcraftusa.com/forum/showpost.php?p=290480&postcount=5

I didn't realize there were so many other posts asking the same or similar question.:8:

I went with the Molle II rifleman and patrol/ assault pack combo. It was about 25 bucks more than I wanted to spend, but I hope this combo will give me the versatility I need.

Made in USA! I do believe.

Thanks again for all the help and offers.