PDA

View Full Version : 20 Ga pardner

leaf and lightning
09-20-2010, 10:14 AM
can they handle slugs??? I need a deergun, and even though I want a .44 rifle, the cheapskate in me won and I have limited myself to a $120 budget...I found a 20 Ga H&R pardner for $110, and I like the idea of a multi use firearm... but I have some concerns about sending slugs through a Modified or Full choked barrel.... could this be an issue??

directdrive
09-20-2010, 10:28 AM
Hi: So long as you use the old hollow based slugs, I don't think you'll damage your weapon. You will shave a lot of lead with the full/modified choke and get deformation of the projectile as well but it shouldn't hurt the gun. Wonder if a sabot type slug would work?

A K Church
09-20-2010, 11:22 AM
w/ the manufacturer, honestly.

stevomiller
09-20-2010, 11:43 AM
Old style hollow base slugs should be fine. 5lb shotgun + slugs = kills on BOTH ends ;~)
Been there, done that. Brother, get yourself a good recoil pad

mjh
09-20-2010, 12:00 PM
one of my favorite shotguns......non-rifled slugs should be fine with modified choke.....practice and limit distance....

Mattnu
09-20-2010, 12:20 PM
I believe they are rated for slugs, buckshot and steel shot. Check the H&R website.

09-20-2010, 12:34 PM
Like everyone pretty much has said already with the conventional foster type slugs you will be fine with the modified choke. There is no reason to shoot sabot slugs out of a smooth bore barrel as they require a rifled barrel to gain the accuracy advantage they provide. Also, I did some testing a few years ago with slugs and found that out of my shotgun (Rem 870) the modified provided the best group of all the standard chokes and was not far behind the rifled tube. It also provided the best pattern with buckshot as well. Of course you will have to test your shotgun to determine which brand it likes and the point of aim/point of impact fall. The pardner will serve you well, I have a 12 gauge that has been cut to 18.5 inches that is my general walkaround gun when I am woods loafing as opposed to actually hunting. It doesn't have any choke at all but it is fine for out to 30 yards or so with shot and hits only about 2" to the left at 50 yds with slugs.

leaf and lightning
09-20-2010, 12:37 PM
thanks... how hard would it be to put a peep sight on one?

Trekon86
09-20-2010, 12:44 PM
Rifled slugs = A OK, but your shoulder will be hurtin! Personally if it's a full choke, I'd do the ol' hackjob on it. Most people (except for turkey hunters) don't have much use for full chokes anymore. Modern ammo with shot cups steps up your performance a full choke size.
Tang sight: Is the receiver milled or tapped for scopes or sights?

PMZ

tennecedar
09-20-2010, 12:54 PM
I've shot slugs thru my H&R Topper models for years. All full choke. I can keep a 3" group at 50 yards shooting off hand. A little better with a good rest. I like the lightness of the single shot guns but as stevomiller said, Recoil is a factor. I only notice it when practicing tho. I usually don't remember the recoil when taking game. I guess my focus is down range.

I have had the best results from the Remington high velocity Slugger.

Trekon86
09-20-2010, 01:01 PM
I had some Brenneke slugs awhile back that were real nice, (really heavy, good solid thump, a real bunker buster) but can't seem to find em anymore:(
PMZ

Maccool
09-20-2010, 01:27 PM
I'd use the 20ga now then save up the money and send it in to H&R and get a 44 mag barrel put on it, If your serial number starts with a N or H. I have the 357 mag, 44 mag, and a 20 ga ultra slug barrel all on my 410 pardner frame.

leaf and lightning
09-20-2010, 02:34 PM
how much are the extra barrels?

leaf and lightning
09-20-2010, 02:36 PM
wait a tick... the H&R site says they can't put rifle barrels on a pardner model...bummer

PeterCartwright
09-20-2010, 07:57 PM
wait a tick... the H&R site says they can't put rifle barrels on a pardner model...bummer

I think you've misunderstood the good folks at NEF. They mean they will not put a centerfire rifle barrel on a Pardner frame. The heat treat on the shotgun frames is different than their rifle frames (although they look pretty much the same). Centerfire rifle cartridges generate a great deal more pressure than shotgun cartridges.

For what it's worth, my kid brother had an NEF 20 ga. Pardner when he was a kid. It had a fixed choke Modified barrel and shot Brenneke slugs like a champ. Go ahead and try your gun with some Foster type slugs and the Brenneke type projectiles. You might be very pleasantly surprised. (And unless NEF has changed their policy, they will also put a slug barrel with rifle sights on your frame for a modest fee).

PC

Maccool
09-20-2010, 08:15 PM
They will put any shotgun or pistol cal. barrel on the shotgun frame except the 10ga and 500 s&w barrels. I thought the same thing till someone else on another forum wrote it and I called them and thats what h&r told me.

GreyOne
09-20-2010, 08:39 PM
The Pardner will work fine with factory slug loads. The old style hollow base are best. The sabot style slugs are for rifled barrels or at least rifled chokes, and they cost twice as much per shell.

Try it with the full choke -or modified- at 15 yards or so for group size, then try 25 yards and even 50 yards. If you can hold it in 6-8 inches at 50 yards, you can deer hunt at that range.

As for a peep sight, it might not be of much advantage, unless the barrel shoots exceptionally tight groups. It will require a new front sight as well, and the sights WILL affect your shotshell shooting at birds and such. You can learn to deal with it, but be aware there are tradeoffs. :)

wolffire99
09-21-2010, 09:07 AM
Yes, you can put pistol caliber barrels on the shotguns.

leaf and lightning
09-21-2010, 10:12 AM
thanks guys... I was a little worried when I saw that part about not putting rifle barrels on a pardner... I defiantly think I might get a .44 barrel then... oh, and on a side note, most of the old timers I have talked to about deer guns have praised the .44 as an ideal caliber for deer, but they almost all claim that the .357 is (and this is what has me scratchin my noggin) way overkill... now am I confused, or are they?

GreyOne
09-21-2010, 11:23 AM
thanks guys... I was a little worried when I saw that part about not putting rifle barrels on a pardner... I defiantly think I might get a .44 barrel then... oh, and on a side note, most of the old timers I have talked to about deer guns have praised the .44 as an ideal caliber for deer, but they almost all claim that the .357 is (and this is what has me scratchin my noggin) way overkill... now am I confused, or are they?

The old timers are probably thinking of the 44-40 or 44 WCF cartridge, not the 44 magnum. There is a great deal of difference in the performance of the two.

357 mag. from a rifle/ carbine barrel is able to approach 30-30 performance , at least inside 100 yards. Not "overkill", but certainly adequate.

leaf and lightning
09-21-2010, 12:45 PM
357 mag. from a rifle/ carbine barrel is able to approach 30-30 performance , at least inside 100 yards. Not "overkill", but certainly adequate.

thats what I figured... I couldn't understand why these guys thought it was to much for a deer... the one guy said it wasted to much meat... but he hunts with a 12 Ga, which he actually told me does less damage than a .357 or .44... I think there might be something in the water around here...

Blazin
09-21-2010, 12:58 PM
I have a H&R 410 that I absolutely love. Only thing I hate about it is the plastic trigger guard and the price of shells compared to 12 guage? Other than that the little shotgun has served me well. Never thought about using it with slugs to take Deer or for that matter purchasing other caliber barrels. Now you got me thinking!

EdD270
09-21-2010, 08:00 PM
You'll get better accuracy with a more open choke when shooting slugs. Don't bother spending the big bucks for the sabot slugs, they're made for use in rifled barrels, or rifled choke tubes and give very poor accuracy with smoothbores. The traditional "rifled" foster type slug is best for smoothbores.
A sight could probably be added by a competent gunsmith. I like to just use the magnetic ones you buy at K-Mart or Cabela's.
You'll probably want to get a Sims Vibration Labs LimbSaver recoil pad for your shotgun if you shoot many slugs. They come in grind to fit and slip on models. they really reduce felt recoil a lot.

Maccool
09-22-2010, 06:55 AM
I hope to find out this year how much damage a 357 mag. will do, my longest shot I can take is 85 yards so I am using my 357 mag. barrel this year for deer hunting. If it doesn't do the job I want it to then I am going to rent a reamer and make it a 357 max. I know that will get the job done and I can still shoot 38 special , and 357 mag out it.

leaf and lightning
09-22-2010, 10:14 AM
I like to just use the magnetic ones you buy at K-Mart or Cabela's.

link?

gloomhound
09-24-2010, 02:32 AM
Check out Federal's Truball Rifled Slugs.

EdD270
09-24-2010, 10:16 PM
link?

Try these, I hope I did it right:
Cabela's:
http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/search.cmd?form_state=searchForm&N=0&Ntk=AllProducts&Ntt=magnetic+sights&x=16&y=4
BassPro shops:
http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Navigation?hvarSearchString=magnetic+sight&storeId=10151&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&CMID=TOP_SEARCH_GO&x=11&y=13
Midway USA:
http://www.midwayusa.com/Search/#magnetic%20sight____-_1-2-4_8-16-32

Most such stores sell similar stuff, K-Mart and Wal-Mart sell them too, at least out here. Most of these type sights are made for vent-rib guns, but there are models for regular non-ribbed guns, too.

OddTheViking
09-24-2010, 11:33 PM
Wow. Things I have learned from reading this thread:

1. There is a gun called the H&R Pardner, and it comes in 20g.
2. You can get the barrel changed out for other shotgun and pistol rounds
3. You can shoot a slug through both a modified and a full choke
4. You can get magnetic sites for a shotgun

About the only thing I did know before reading this thread was that a sabot slug is only suited to a rifled barrel, which is stupid, because I have never used a sabot slug, and the only shotgun I own has a cylinder barrel.

Tarakian
09-25-2010, 12:11 AM
Wow. Things I have learned from reading this thread:

1. There is a gun called the H&R Pardner, and it comes in 20g.
2. You can get the barrel changed out for other shotgun and pistol rounds
3. You can shoot a slug through both a modified and a full choke
4. You can get magnetic sites for a shotgun

AND 5. Now I want an H&R Pardner!