PDA

View Full Version : Need paintball help

1Jesster
09-26-2010, 05:04 PM
Ok my boy went with a buddy paintballing today. (I'm at work and didn't get to go:12: ) I know that when he gets home I'm going to HAVE to by a few paintball guns, terible I know. The problem is the last time I had anything to do with paintball the "Splatmaster" was the latest thing. Would one of you that know something about this please lead me in the right direction?

Jesster

Zengunfighter
09-26-2010, 05:22 PM
I've been out of it for a few years. Tippman was a good solid marker. I had 2 and they were both fairly troublefree. my favorite was modeled along the lines of an HK MP5 supmachine gun.

To be competitive, you need full auto these days. It's all about paint in the air/suppresive fire.

Actually, I much prefer Airsoft, because the guns are true to the originals. Better for my training.

I stopped playing paintball when I realized I was developing bad tactical habits.

mosinfan462
09-26-2010, 05:24 PM
98 custom its like 169 bucks for everything at dicks. plus there esay to sell in the paper if he stops

1Jesster
09-26-2010, 05:25 PM
Thanks Zen. I'm not concerned about being competative. It will mostly be friends in the back timber. As lnog as the sides are close in fire power all will have fun.

justin_baker
09-26-2010, 05:35 PM
Tippmans are great markers. Cant go wrong with a tippman.

One thing about paintball markers, you often do not get what you pay for. If you or they get really into it, buy them a pm6(proto matrix 6). You can often get markers that were manufactured a few years ago for very low prices. A pm6 was around 900 dollars new when it came out in 2006. You can get them now for about 200 dollars new or almost new if you look. A pm6 is going to perform and shoot way better than a 400 dollar gun that just came out. Trust me, a pm6 is going to rock your socks off and you can get it dirt cheap. It will shoot nearly as good as a 1000 dollar gun (sounds crazy, i know, just trust me on this)

This goes the same for all high end guns. Some good companies are dye, eclipse, proto. Look for high end guns that are models from a few years ago. They will shoot amazing, will be reliable, and only be cheap because they have a few minor upgrades that make them "updated".

Another tip, put the money down for decent face masks. Expect to pay around 50-60 dollars (the 100 dollar ones arent really worth it). Its going to be on your face all day, trust me you want something that is comfortable and doesent fog up. The cheapo black plastic ones are horrible.

I have been playing for around 7 years, I have seen a lot of guns and seen all of the fads and scenes out in the paintball world. But I recently ditched my stuff because I cant afford to play anymore. Way to many pressing financial obligations and goals.

justin_baker
09-26-2010, 05:39 PM
To be competitive, you need full auto these days. It's all about paint in the air/suppresive fire.

Well, these days the paintball scene is pretty much dead. All of the major leagues went bankrupt and all of the people who used to play dont. Almost everyone you see is a new player. The egotistical, hardcore, fashionable, speedball player is all but gone. Its pretty weird to see.

1Jesster
09-26-2010, 06:37 PM
Thanks guys for all the advice. We won't be into any $200 markers though. I know my boys (and girls) they will only play a few times and only when I foot the bill. I have 6 kids total 4 that will need outfitted. Most of the time it will jsut be us shooting each other. honestly if I could find half dozen of the old pump ones it would be all we need.

Outkast_1B
09-26-2010, 06:40 PM
when i was in high school some friends and i would play out in the woods. it was a lot of fun. i always thought the organized speed ball version of the game was lame.

goldman
09-26-2010, 06:46 PM
my tipman 98 was a great gun but i havnt touched it for a long time now

RangerJoe
09-26-2010, 06:53 PM
TIPPMAN!!!

Nerual the Mad
09-26-2010, 06:54 PM
You really can't go wrong with any Tipman. The 98 was my main gun and I had a Stingray for backup if I couldn't get my gun fixed on site.

justin_baker
09-26-2010, 07:14 PM
Thanks guys for all the advice. We won't be into any $200 markers though. I know my boys (and girls) they will only play a few times and only when I foot the bill. I have 6 kids total 4 that will need outfitted. Most of the time it will jsut be us shooting each other. honestly if I could find half dozen of the old pump ones it would be all we need.

Tippman is probably your best option then! Tough as hell, doesent break down even if you abuse it, and has pretty good resale value.

HillbillyBushcraft
09-26-2010, 07:20 PM
Does anyone know anything about the really accurate single shot paintball markers, pump based rather than compressed air?

justin_baker
09-26-2010, 07:24 PM
Does anyone know anything about the really accurate single shot paintball markers, pump based rather than compressed air?

There are certain paintball guns called "autocockers" that function and cycle in a certain way. Autocockers are known to be extremely accurate guns, so a pump autococker is something you should go for or look into.
The most important thing with accuracy is having a good barrel, and making sure that the size of your paintballs match up well to the size of the barrel.

HillbillyBushcraft
09-26-2010, 09:16 PM
Thanks - I'll look into it. On a tight budget, I think a single shot, old style marker may be more my style.

goosefacer
09-26-2010, 09:21 PM

I don't think there are any paintball guns out there that don't used compressed air at this point.

ajnin
09-26-2010, 10:08 PM
Lots of markers do not use compressed air. In fact most pumps do not need compressed air. Co2 has its uses as well. I have markers on my wall that require co2 only in fact.

As far as tippmans... meh.. gimmicky... use too much air and are really hard to zero in.

If your looking for cheap get and a good time get a cheap electronic like a spyder or a ion that has eyes. Eyes are little laser sensors that tell the gun it can fire when a ball is chambered. Using a gun with eyes tends to be far more enjoyable than not.

Personally I use a gun called a automag, its more of a tinkerers gun but amazing once dialed in. I also use a bunch of pumps or pistols.

If you need any help acquiring some cheap guns shoot me a pm, I am very active in the paintball scene.

Heh, if any has a nice industrial sewing machine I have a great AKA Viking paintball gun I would trade for it...

goosefacer
09-26-2010, 10:27 PM
Sorry I was considering CO2 compressed air - should have said compressed gas. Def lots of CO2 guns out there. Check out Palmer Pursuit's line of pumps. I had a Palmer Blazer once and it was awesome.

ajnin
09-27-2010, 12:13 AM
I just traded my blazer off. I have actually shaken the palmers hands and played paintball with them. Great people.

I pretty sure you can still get the tippman propane pump. But those get hot, and kinda scare me.

ajnin
09-29-2010, 12:33 PM
There are certain paintball guns called "autocockers" that function and cycle in a certain way. Autocockers are known to be extremely accurate guns, so a pump autococker is something you should go for or look into.
The most important thing with accuracy is having a good barrel, and making sure that the size of your paintballs match up well to the size of the barrel.

Autocockers have whats a called a "closed-bolt" cycle. Meaning when the trigger is pulled the bolt cycles forward and push's the paintball into the barrel. Once there it then releases air to propel the ball. Most other paintball markers are open bolt, meaning when trigger is pulled bolt moves and pushes ball into barrel and releases air at the same time. Thus creating a bit more turbulence.

As for the cheapest way to play paintball, get whats called a Phantom. Usually they come with a 10 round tube on top for holding your paint. They are a pump marker which can run off c02 or compressed air. They are decently efficient. You have the option of using 12 gram c02 cartridges or using a normal air tank. There are air tanks that are only 3.5 ounces which is only about 5 inches long and a couple wide. So not only do you have a nice small package but you will save some pennies because you just simply cannot put a lot of paint down stream. Your game will also be forced to get better as you will most likely be playing with other guys with their semi's and seemingly limitless amounts of paint.

I play with a phantom or a 8 round pistol a lot.

Eric_Methven
09-29-2010, 04:00 PM
If you want cheap, buy four slingshots and fire paintballs from them. Tell your kids they are the latest fashion.

Eric

MoxemDeliph
09-29-2010, 04:24 PM
I've been reffing now for two weeks...its one of the things that get me into the woods, but not to camp. I've also played on and off for 15 years. Through those years I've owned a Splatmaster pistol, Tippmann Pro-lite, 98 Custom, and A-5 (the only one I still own).

I just recently bought a Dangerous Powers G4 and love it...but its blue and electronic and not much of a play toy in my friends backwoods. On a serious field, it rocks. In the woods the A-5 is a great gun.

A lot of folks have recommended Tippmanns, and rightfully so. The field I work at has a few that are 10 years old and still rock n' rollin. They are essentially the AK-47 of the paintgun world. The A-5 is a superior but slightly more finicky gun. Its rate of fire is potentially higher becuase it doesnt need at special hopper...you can easily find any of that out somewhere else though. You can get into a complete set-up for about $250, and if you can afford it, consider getting a "nitro" or compressed air tank. It works far better than CO2 in the winter.

I would like to add to whomever mentioned masks. Theyre 110% correct. I DO wear my mask a solid three hours a day and I own a JT (brand) ProFlex 7 (model). You can get them for about 45-60 buckeroos and a few customizable kinds too,but its usually more money.
Get double-paned fog proof lenses. DO NOT get single paned, treated lenses as they simply dont work as well. Just drop the $35 minimum becuase if you dont, he's gonna want to take them off to cleam the fog off and thats when you start to get in trouble.

MoxemDeliph
09-29-2010, 04:32 PM
As far as tippmans... meh.. gimmicky... use too much air and are really hard to zero in.

Heh, if any has a nice industrial sewing machine I have a great AKA Viking paintball gun I would trade for it...

Kind of funny...Tippmann makes pnuematic industrial sewing machines:)