PDA

View Full Version : $1 yard sale knife..

FishBone
09-26-2010, 05:41 PM
Got this knife today for $1 and a nice large rasp for $1..

http://i959.photobucket.com/albums/ae77/sramelyk/IMG_3850.jpg

Already cleaned it up a little bit with sandpaper and steel wool.. Any suggestions on how to get this thing looking better.. I like the shape. There isn't any name on it though so I have no idea who made it..

Panzer
09-26-2010, 06:25 PM
naval jelly works well

kenncarleton
09-26-2010, 06:27 PM
looks good like a great deal to me
might be a skinner from either oldhickory or green river knifes

northstar
09-26-2010, 06:32 PM
Looks like an old skinner. Maybe a Green River. If it were mine, I wouldn't try to remove too much of the patina it already has.I'd buy an empty quart paint can, fill it 3/4 full of boiled linseed oil and fill up the rest with turpentine. Soak it handle first in the can for a few days.This will fill the pores of the wood and get under the scales for rust protection.IMO.

Tony

FishBone
09-26-2010, 06:44 PM
http://i959.photobucket.com/albums/ae77/sramelyk/IMG_3853.jpg

This is after about 20 minutes of elbow grease.. Most of the rust on the blade is gone and like the patina look.. Definitely a gap between the blade and the scales and am sure the rust is under there.. So, maybe a re-handle.. Which, sounds fun..

Thanks!

GreyOne
09-26-2010, 06:52 PM
Good find. Try using it with the original handle a bit, get a feel for how close you want to come to the same size if you rehandle it.

Sharpen it and see if the steel is good- should be from the looks - most of the old knives had decent steel and heat treat.

joe cody
09-26-2010, 06:54 PM
please post your improvements/repairs on this knife.
I have bought several in the same general condition.mine are mostly old hickory and onterio brand (2 rivet scales)and don't know where to start on them.

Beo-wulf
09-26-2010, 06:58 PM
You can't go wrong for a dollar! Good find!

Grits
09-26-2010, 06:59 PM
That knife is looking good. As it cleans up, does it have any markings on it?

Chief036
09-26-2010, 07:21 PM
From just looking at the picture, I would surmise that water, blood, and all kind of juices have got underneath the handle scales, and are doing a dirty deed on the steel under there.

Were it mine, I'd shear off the rivets and pop the scales off, and then go to bare metal with some coarse sandpaper, then go back with some new handles scales with expoxy underneath to keep out any unwanted liquids.

But I've hafted hundreds of knives, so that might not be what you want to do, but if you decide to go that route, I'd be glad to guide you through it. :1:

matt.s
09-26-2010, 07:23 PM
I'll pay you double for it :D

That's a good looking knife right there. Stitch a basic sheath, sharpen and use.

FishBone
09-26-2010, 09:56 PM
That knife is looking good. As it cleans up, does it have any markings on it?

Doesn't look like it..

Good idea on using it for awhile to get a feel for what improvements to make if any.. And already drew out the sheath.. Yeah, for a dollar its the best find I've had yet..

I'll post pics of sheath when done.

Firebug
09-27-2010, 09:33 AM
Not to shabby, sramelyk! :)

I love ya!

Trekon86
09-27-2010, 09:45 AM
Score!:)
PMZ

FishBone
09-27-2010, 11:25 AM
Plus.. I need to get better at sharpening and what better way to practice!!

Its funny.. A year ago, well before this site, I would have considered this knife to be a piece of rusty junk.. I knew immediately I was going to buy it for a buck. It took literally 1 minute to see it, buy it and be on my way..

I always liked knives.. Owned a few.. But the last 6 months I've started to feel a little fetish for knives coming on. Now I'm starting to collect quite a few.. This knife feels oddly nice in my hands. I like the extra weight at the end of the blade.

Sweeneyguy
09-27-2010, 11:38 AM
YouTube - Robocop - I'd Buy That For a Dollar (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85cL1HisrNc)

walkabout
09-27-2010, 01:01 PM
Pop the scales and rehandle her, and as already posted above, use epoxy to seal the scales to the metal,
There is also a nessmuk hidden in there if you wanted to go that route.

RDROgers
09-27-2010, 08:36 PM
There is also a nessmuk hidden in there if you wanted to go that route.

This.

Make a nessy out of it. :1:

FishBone
09-27-2010, 10:53 PM
This.

Make a nessy out of it. :1:

I hadn't thought about this to be honest. Probably because I didn't completely understand what a "Nessmuk" was.. Well, after reading about George W. Sears i've got a completely different understanding. I've seen several different styles, most of which are similar.. But the one thing I never did completely understand is what exactly is the "Nessmuk" style.. It seemed elusive.. I mean the traditional or original style..