PDA

View Full Version : dont throw too many flames at me

dullblades
10-07-2010, 07:02 PM
i dont know why, maybe its cause im lazy. i want to know more about gold, and looking/searching for it.

what makes it, is it still being formed? does it or has it ever, existed in every state?

would there be any in Texas?

anyone want to tell me where to look for it.

keep the flames to a minimum, i just like the "idea of adventure".

whats the minimum tools to use?

ok, y'all have fun now.

spamel
10-07-2010, 07:09 PM
I'd say nothing makes it as it is an element! It's on that periodic table thingy, so it just is! Not sure how it comes to being, but if there is a history of gold mining in your area, there is bound to be some still there. I wouldn't know where to look though, County records office (Would you call it a State records office perhaps, or District?) and old news reports, speak to the old timers and see what you can dig up info wise. As for gear, i think you just need a big pan and some patience!

RDROgers
10-07-2010, 07:11 PM
Nothing makes it. It is one of the elements of the periodic table. Hope you find some.

hushnel
10-07-2010, 07:12 PM
I pan for it now and then, if you have depositis of quartz or black sand you should be able to get color. Gold is an element and I think what we have is all there is on this planet. If I recall right, this stuff is formed in the death of stars.

Diamonds may still be being made in the bowels of the Earth but they are just re-constructed carbon.

Keyser Söze
10-07-2010, 07:13 PM
get a expensive metal detector , that way you will want to find some stuff with it to pay for itself

walnut
10-07-2010, 07:17 PM
To the best of my knowledge all elements heavier than iron on the periodic table were created in massive super novas. A star like our sun is capable of creating all elements starting with hydrogen and helium all the way up to iron. So gold was created by the most massive explosions known.

Roob
10-07-2010, 07:19 PM
this site might interest you

http://www.goldgold.com/

modern gold miners. if you live in the right geological regions, you may as well try. could be more worth your while than fishing all afternoon... if you live in the right place.

madmax
10-07-2010, 07:23 PM
The cheapest way to try your hand at gold hunting is panning. It's a flat sided pan that you swirl water aroundin gently washing out the sand and small rocks until you have the only the heaviest stuff left...GOLD! Find and old gold strike area with a stream nearby and start panning. They abandon the strikes long before all the gold runs out. It's just not highly profitable as far as your time goes if your "in the business"...but it's fun.

OregonDave
10-07-2010, 07:28 PM
Back in the 70's there was a dentist in my home town. He and a friend decided to go south to look for gold. I don't remember which country, Mexico, Guatamala, where ever.

They couldn't find any gold until they asked a local cantina operator, "Hey, where's the gold?"

He pointed and said, "Over there."

They went "over there" and found gold. Between the police by day and the bandits by night (apparently interchangeable), they eventually left the country. They had an adventure, memories and no gold. Good enough.

OD

Raydarkhorse
10-07-2010, 07:28 PM
I get a wild hair from time to time and go gold panning. I can tell you the most important thing about gold that you need to know. With to days price per ounce YOU AIN'T GONNA GET RICH!

There are hundreds of ways to pan/mine for gold but here are the two common ways I have worked on. The most common way for an individual to find gold is the sluice box and a pan, working a creek. The second most common way is hi banking. Which is basically the same thing except it is done back away from the water source.

You set up a sluice box where there is a decent amount of water flowing down it and shovel dirt and rock into it for hours, and hours, and hours............................................. ...and hours, and hours. When you get to the point another shovel of dirt and gravel will drive you absolutely insane shovel for a few more hours.

At the end of the day you empty the stuff from the sluice into a bucket or two and carry it to camp. In camp you take another bucket of water and spend a few hours panning the remains from the sluice.

You do this same routine for as many days as you plan to be out on the river minus one. On the last day you take the stuff you pan and run it through a clarifier. I did this for a month in Colorado last year and I found less than an ounce. WAY LESS!

Now there are other ways to go you can use dredges they run from 1/2" manually operated pumps to 2" as powered units that can be operated without permits and up to huge with a permit.

sbkittrell
10-07-2010, 07:31 PM
You can also prospect with a metal detector. Check some of the gold prospecting websites. Here's one to start with: http://www.modernprospector.com/

Antig
10-07-2010, 07:39 PM
i dont know why, maybe its cause im lazy. i want to know more about gold, and looking/searching for it.

what makes it, is it still being formed? does it or has it ever, existed in every state?

would there be any in Texas?

anyone want to tell me where to look for it.

keep the flames to a minimum, i just like the "idea of adventure".

whats the minimum tools to use?

ok, y'all have fun now.

To answer your question, there is a nearly fixed amount of gold on Earth and it is not being formed. It exists in nearly every geological occasion as gold dust. All you need to do is learn how to pan it.

All that being said, you will have better luck as an asteroid hunter. At least asteroids continue to land on Earth on a regular basis.

OddTheViking
10-07-2010, 07:40 PM
I don't think you'd find gold in Texas, it's not the right geography. I think it's only found in mountain ranges where it's been pushed up from the lower regions of the earth by tectonic activity. Texas is all formed from ocean bed and/or coastal deposits.

Anyways, my gold story:

When I was a kid living in Alaska we used to go to a place called Ericson's gold mine, on Turnagain Arm near Alyeska ski resort, about 45 minutes from Anchorage. It was a gold mine turned tourist attraction, you paid a little to get in, and if you had the tools were free to pan and sluice on the property. They also sold souvenirs, rented equipment, had little classes, etc. They had benches set up where you could practice and they seeded a few flakes in the dirt. You could also buy a bag of dirt that was seeded, just for fun.

We found a few tiny flakes and even some little nuggets. Not nearly enough to be worth the effort if you were trying to make money, but that place was cheap entertainment and I am sure they made plenty of money as a tourist attraction.

OddTheViking
10-07-2010, 07:42 PM
All that being said, you will have better luck as an asteroid hunter. At least asteroids continue to land on Earth on a regular basis.

What kind of firearm do you use when hunting asteroids? :D

demonjames
10-07-2010, 07:48 PM

Why an Elephant gun of course lol

Antig
10-07-2010, 07:51 PM

lol! You don't have to kill things to hunt them you know. To answer your question, a ray gun:

http://www.jimhblog.com/photos/uncategorized/marvin.gif

demonjames
10-07-2010, 07:52 PM
lol! You don't have to kill things to hunt them you know. To answer your question, a ray gun:

http://www.jimhblog.com/photos/uncategorized/marvin.gif

:: in an Arnold Schwarzenegger voice:: This ain't no mamby pamby board, We kill de Asteriods!!! Blargh!!!!!

GreyOne
10-07-2010, 08:01 PM
Historically Texas had a few gold mines, and some silver mines, but most were in West or Southwest Texas. Read J Frank Dobie's Lost Mines and Buried Treasure for a start. :)

Tarakian
10-07-2010, 08:59 PM
My sister-in-law and her husband have done some panning in New Mexico, and they have found a little. I don't know exactly where, sounds like a great adventure though

OregonDave
10-07-2010, 09:08 PM
OK, gold story #2: My soon-to-be-ex-father-in-law and I were driving around southern Arizona near Yuma. Found a guy with his head stuck in about 500 yards of mine trailings.

He was scooping out dust from between the rocks then running it by a hair dryer connected to his car. Blow away the light stuff and take the heavy stuff home to pan.

Fred C. Dobbs would have been proud.

:D
OD

Old Philosopher
10-07-2010, 09:58 PM
A little bigger caliber than the one you use for hunting hemorrhoids.

Old Philosopher
10-07-2010, 10:13 PM
Modern Marvels - Gold (parts 1 through 5)

YouTube - 1of5 Modern Marvels:Gold Mines (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16PVEw8-HxQ&feature=related)

The History Channel showed How the Earth Was Made - America's Gold, but it's apparently not available on-line. They are still selling DVDs of it.

Rubicon_Dave
10-08-2010, 12:29 AM
Origin of gold...

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=7397200

I live about 30 minutes away from the very place that started the gold rush in the west. January 24th 1848 is a day that changed everything for us out west.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sutter's_Mill

The Sierra Nevada's are still rich in gold and I'd bet we haven't found even a fraction of what's left in these mountains. But getting to it is another story.

I have a friend that runs a claim on the south fork of the American River. He puts on a diving suit and heads down about 20~30 feet and starts turning over huge boulders with a winch mounted on a floating platform. He sucks up the gravel and muck under the huge rocks and runs them through a sluice. last year he pulled out 90 ounces...you do the math.

Ok I'll do it for you... 90 ounces X $1300 an ounce =$117,000. :D

I picked up a pan last year and it goes with me wherever I go. I can find a few "pickers" now an again but mostly dust. More fun than anything else...

PMSteve
10-08-2010, 02:37 PM
I worked at a gold mine for several years and the mining company put out a pamphlet with odd facts about gold.
1. Since it's an element, no more is being made. What's here is all there is.
2. Only 1.5 to 2% of the existing gold on the planet has been found (geologist estimate)
3. All of the refined gold in the world would fit into a room 50'x50'x50' with plenty of room to spare. This includes Ft.Knox.
4. In the movies when you see guys tossing gold bullion bars around like they are made of wood. They probably are. A bar of gold 10"x5"x4" weighs approximately 70 pounds. Most men would be hard pressed to hold one in one hand.
5. In California where the Gold Rush started, there is still more gold in the ground that has been removed by a factor of 1000 times. (again, geologists estimate)
6. most gold now being mined in the USA is microscopic gold and is removed from the ore by electrochemical means. It's considered profitable to recover one tenth of an ounce (troy weight) per ton of ore. (14.583 troy ounces = 1 pound)

Old Philosopher
10-08-2010, 02:56 PM
I worked at a gold mine for several years and the mining company put out a pamphlet with odd facts about gold.
1. Since it's an element, no more is being made. What's here is all there is.
2. Only 1.5 to 2% of the existing gold on the planet has been found (geologist estimate)
3. All of the refined gold in the world would fit into a room 50'x50'x50' with plenty of room to spare. This includes Ft.Knox.
4. In the movies when you see guys tossing gold bullion bars around like they are made of wood. They probably are. A bar of gold 10"x5"x4" weighs approximately 70 pounds. Most men would be hard pressed to hold one in one hand.
5. In California where the Gold Rush started, there is still more gold in the ground that has been removed by a factor of 1000 times. (again, geologists estimate)
6. most gold now being mined in the USA is microscopic gold and is removed from the ore by electrochemical means. It's considered profitable to recover one tenth of an ounce (troy weight) per ton of ore. (14.583 troy ounces = 1 pound)
I've heard more than once that nearly all the gold in circulation is constantly being recycled. Most that's mined now is used for industrial/electrical applications.

Old Philosopher
10-08-2010, 03:43 PM
I never got rich either, but it's a fun hobby and a good reason just to get out. If the brookies aren't biting, out comes the gold pan. ;)

justin_baker
10-08-2010, 03:48 PM
There are still gold claims and gold panning machines along the rouge river (Around southern oregon) and some other rivers in northern CA. I would see them on my way up to happy camp, ca.

EdD270
10-08-2010, 07:40 PM
Quickest way to learn about gold in your area is to visit the local chapter of Gold Prospectors Association of America, their website is www.goldprospectors.com, they'l have a listing of local chapter in your area.
Also, remember your search engine is your friend. Do a search for gold prospecting, meteorite hunting, and other similar combinations to find lots of forums, websites, and other info. I'm getting into the meteorite hunting, too, good excuse to get into the woods to do something "productive" rather than just wander around.