PDA

View Full Version : Is a cleaver no good?

mq1kael
10-09-2010, 04:05 PM
I have been playing with files and OH and such to learn knife making before I jump into heat treating and all that. Is it ok to cut a knife from the middle of a cleaver(so as to use the original handle material)? I read that some aren't hardened all the way, some are etc. This one appears to be very high grade, the handle is held on with the screw together type rivets. Just on appearances it is prob 40-60 yrs old and has been hit with a hammer or some such on the back at some point. The strikes moved the metal around but not too bad, and the blade appears to be very hard.
I may cut it up anyway just for some practice

Thanks
Kael

Son of liberty
10-09-2010, 04:22 PM
I would guess that if its a quality carbon steel butcher that its only hard on the edge. Is it old? If so dont cut it up, send me some pics or post them up. If its old ill heat treat and send ya a blank you can cut up but dont hurt an old butcher......please!

mq1kael
10-09-2010, 04:31 PM
I would guess that if its a quality carbon steel butcher that its only hard on the edge. Is it old? If so dont cut it up, send me some pics or post them up. If its old ill heat treat and send ya a blank you can cut up but dont hurt an old butcher......please!

can't get on my photo site from a city computer but if you would PM me your email I can send some from my phone. It really is a nice cleaver, Like I said seems to be well put together. Got it from an antique shop yesterday. When I said the screw together rivets I mean some that look like the birds eye rivets people are using today

Keyser Söze
10-09-2010, 04:44 PM
it is a WATERTOWN village-blacksmith cleaver?? http://www.etsy.com/listing/42689209/vintage-antique-village-blacksmith
http://bushcraftusa.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=2&pictureid=594

mq1kael
10-09-2010, 04:47 PM
Very well could be, I can't see a makers mark I will try to look again and post if so

mq1kael
10-09-2010, 04:52 PM
it is identical in size, shape, type, location, and orientation of the handle. Somebody has let loose on it with a wire wheel or light grinder/sander and I can see no markings because of that. However it is one of those things you pick up and say, this is made well. This is nice materials and workmanship etc

justin_baker
10-09-2010, 04:55 PM
If it is a true antique, it might be a shame to cut it up. Just something to think about.

Son of liberty
10-09-2010, 04:57 PM
Man my heart would break if you cut up a classic like that!

I see enough old cross cut saws that are still serviceable cut up by knife hounds to make a simple knife, breaks my heart. Cut up an old good condition cross cut for about 30 bucks worth of metal :58:

Now the ones with broken teeth and not really serviceable I consider recycling.

mq1kael
10-09-2010, 04:59 PM
I wouldn't say this one is "antique grade" as I said the blade is pitted(actual deep pits near endpoint) and someone has taken a sander and/or grinder to the blade to free up rust and take down the edge on the hammer marks. It is however very useable and in fair shape but for the "deep Patina". I may be up for what you offered if you're serious

Nerual the Mad
10-09-2010, 08:01 PM
Now this is a cleaver. I call her Little China Girl.
http://i861.photobucket.com/albums/ab175/nerualthemade/My%20blades/ParkPictures026.jpg
Thanks again to Trek. His is the mod man.