PDA

View Full Version : Hunting with a handgun

Old Philosopher
10-15-2010, 03:23 PM
The responses in another thread got me curious.
Apparently quite a few folks now hunt, or have hunted different game with a pistol, or revolver. Jager showed a nice grouse he took with his pistol.
We have hunters here who hunt with bows, and even a few who are pretty good with throwing sticks. Each hunting weapon presents its own challenges. I started getting serious about handgun hunting after shoulder surgery made me hang up my bows for several years.
Assuming it's legal in your area, I'm just wondering how many share my interest, and why?

Trekon86
10-15-2010, 03:45 PM
I don't think it's legal in PA, at least not for big game.
Same for semiauto long guns. WTF?

Anywho...I'd like to try, but I'd have to go with a single action auto or revolver rather than my little mousegun. Seems I can't hit crap with it when the crap is standing still, lmao.
PMZ

brionic
10-15-2010, 03:58 PM
Iowa is a shotgun state, no rifles. Rolling hills and cornfields mean that the leaders here don't want high velocity rifle ammo whizzing across the county. Recently the DNR allowed use of big bore handguns in addition to shotguns.

My shotguns aren't set up for shooting slugs, and despite the hype, aren't accurate enough using the front bead for me to feel comfortable shooting an animal humanely. Goblins, no problem ;)

With a handgun, I am moderately accurate in the field, so it's a no brainer. Turns out that I prefer to carry the revolver on my hip/chest rather than lugging around a big shotgun anyway. Where we have hunted the past three year, the briar rose really grabs us, and having both hands free is an advantage.

Last winter we thought about heading down to the southern tier of counties where late season rifle hunting is permitted, but were advised to "stay away from the MO stateline" due to all the "Missouri madmen" taking quarter mile shots with their loudenboomers ;)

Old Philosopher
10-15-2010, 04:11 PM
... Recently the DNR allowed use of big bore handguns in addition to shotguns.

My shotguns aren't set up for shooting slugs, and despite the hype, aren't accurate enough using the front bead for me to feel comfortable shooting an animal humanely. Goblins, no problem ;)

With a handgun, I am moderately accurate in the field, so it's a no brainer. Turns out that I prefer to carry the revolver on my hip/chest rather than lugging around a big shotgun anyway. Where we have hunted the past three year, the briar rose really grabs us, and having both hands free is an advantage.
So what handgun do you hunt with?
My old Mod 37 Ithaca 12 ga had an interchangeable OC barrel fitted with iron sights. Just swapped it for the bird barrel and it was good to go. Out to ~100 yds, maybe.

blackhawkhunter
10-15-2010, 04:18 PM
I hunt small game with an old H&R break open revolver. I have also hunted deer with a Ruger Superblackhawk and a TC Contender. I got rid of the Contender and now have an Encore. I also carry either for bear, but have yet to bag a bear with a handgun. I also hunt coyotes with a Blackhawk.

brionic
10-15-2010, 04:32 PM
I have hunted with .41s and .45s for the past few years.

This year I am planning to bring my new old .44:

http://i561.photobucket.com/albums/ss60/giant_pinhead/Fishpaw%20grips/IMG_0383.jpg

Friends bug me to hunt with single actions, which I enjoy shooting, but I hit better with the S&Ws.

Old Philosopher
10-15-2010, 04:52 PM
I hunt small game with an old H&R break open revolver. I have also hunted deer with a Ruger Superblackhawk and a TC Contender. I got rid of the Contender and now have an Encore. I also carry either for bear, but have yet to bag a bear with a handgun. I also hunt coyotes with a Blackhawk.
My buddy from years gone by hunted anything smaller than a coyote with his H&R 9-shot Sportsman. Put a lot of grouse in the pot! He lost it in hip-deep snow, and we never did find it, even after spring thaw.

Dano
10-15-2010, 05:01 PM
Used a 14" Contender in .44mag for whitetails with 290 gr hardcast/softnose from a LBT mould. Had a 1.5-4X Burris EER Scope and it was a great combo for my eyes. Sold it to buy a backup that fit in my vest. Now have my dreams set on a Ruger Bisley in 45 LC.

Still waiting on the winning lottery numbers.......LOLOL

GreyOne
10-15-2010, 05:42 PM
Have hunted with a Contender in several calibers, and use a Ruger Redhawk now as my Hog hunting gun.

Trekon86
10-15-2010, 05:48 PM
My grandpa took his last few deer with a Thompson Contender.
Since then he has quit hunting for various reasons. Probably more because of being too busy than anything else.

I can see why he liked it. It's long barreled, like a carbine, but carryable, like a pistol, lmao.
PMZ

justin_baker
10-15-2010, 05:57 PM
I wouldnt want to hunt big game with a pistol. But for rabbits and squirrels, it would be a lot of fun with a pistol. Plus you can throw a pistol in your pack and its not too much weight.

bigbore442001
10-15-2010, 06:45 PM
I am an avid handgun hunter. If I could hunt with only one type of implement for the rest of my life it would be the handgun. Handgun hunting is legal in all states except New Jersey and Rhode Island. Even my home state of Massachusetts allows handguns for black bear, small game, upland birds and varmints.

So far with a handgun I have taken moose, black bear, wild boar, whitetailed deer, pronghorn antelope, rabbits, squirrels, opossum, raccoon, coyote, wood chuck, red deer, ruffed grouse, pheasant, prairie dogs. I am not sure what else but I think I got it on that list.

In fact I did some shooting at the range today with my TC Contender with two barrels and my Kahnke M82 muzzleloading handgun. Where I am hunting in New Hampshire for deer in November you cannot use a centerfire rifle but you can use a shotgun with slugs, muzzleloading rifle or a handgun chambered in 357,41,44 magnum,45 colt,480 Ruger or 50 magnum.

It appears I will be sitting in my stand with a TC Contender with the Super 16 barrel in 44 magnum. The deer load will be a 270 grain Speer Gold Dot bullet with 22.5 grains of Lil Gun powder. That will also be used in my Ruger Redhawk.

In my home state I hunt deer with the bow, shotgun and muzzleloader but whenever I hunt out of state it is always with some sort of handgun.

alukban
10-15-2010, 07:07 PM
I thoroughly enjoy hunting small game with a handgun. I'm not a "handgun hunter extraordinaire" or anything - just an average shot but delivering that hollow thud into small game with a handgun is simply one of the most satisfying things I do.

This year's coming deer season is the first time ever that revolvers are permitted for hunting deer in may state of Connecticut and I plan on using a 4-5/8" barreled Blackhawk-Bisley conversion wearing elk horn grips :4:

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x85/bankaydin/L1070129.jpg

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh178/bankayhoodlum/ebba76e2.jpg

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh178/bankayhoodlum/ed0967e4.jpg

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x85/bankaydin/L1060544.jpg

mainewoods
10-15-2010, 07:38 PM
I never tried it, would be lite weight. What cal. would be good (small game)?

gloomhound
10-15-2010, 07:40 PM
I hunt squirrels with my .22 pistol and take my Blackhawk along for a deer hunt/walk on the days when I can only get a few minutes in of hunting before dark.

shorthair
10-15-2010, 08:00 PM
I have hunted rabbits, squirrels and pheasants wit a .22. Started with a HR breakdown .22 went to a HighStandard Military Citation, 7 3/8". Currently am shooting a S&W Mod. 41, 7". Haven't done hunting with it lately but just might! A little bushcraft and a squirrel hunt might be in order.

earl54
10-15-2010, 08:16 PM
deer in florida are pretty small,I have shot 2 with a S&Wmod19, 4in barrel, 180gr JHP,12gr 2400.Bang,flop at bow hunting ranges.1 with glock29,200gr JHP,same sort of range(less than 30yds),same result.Carried Contender Super14,30-30,with 2x scope for a while, but did not need it at the short ranges I shoot at.

canteencup
10-15-2010, 08:26 PM
I know this is gonna open a can worms, and no disrespect to my brother/sister members.............But I have a hard time warming up to the long barreled new aged things like the T.C. contender ect. as really handgun hunting. To me the old wheel gun with open/iron sights is true handgun hunting. Maybe just a nostalgic thing for me but thats how i feel. I have hunted deer with a (new) Ruger vaquero in 45 lc.

Old Philosopher
10-15-2010, 08:50 PM
I know this is gonna open a can worms, and no disrespect to my brother/sister members.............But I have a hard time warming up to the long barreled new aged things like the T.C. contender ect. as really handgun hunting. To me the old wheel gun with open/iron sights is true handgun hunting. Maybe just a nostalgic thing for me but thats how i feel. I have hunted deer with a (new) Ruger vaquero in 45 lc.

I understand what you're saying. I was up at the range with a guy who had 2 bolt action "pistols" chambered in .223, and mounted with 3 x 24 variable power scopes. They also had folding bipods on the barrels. He was shooting 1.5" groups at 100 yards.
I commented about a deadly hunting rig, and he told me, "I don't hunt with these. Wouldn't be much fun. They're just really short rifles." LOL!
That's kinda what I was thinking.

Jon Foster
10-15-2010, 08:55 PM
I've used a .45 several times and a .357 and a .44 a few times. Nothing wrong with them at all. The .45 was a bit lacking but it did work. I really prefer long range shooting so a rifle is still my go to.

Jon.

Flintlock
10-15-2010, 09:28 PM
I've collected 8 bucks, two does and turkey with a iron sighted S + W Model 29, 6 ". I've always been a little ahead of the curve...so to speak... and the first one came a year before handgun hunting was made legal here. I enjoy the ease of carrying a hand gun as opposed to shoulder arms especially during foul weather. The .44 rides nicely under my coat in either a belt or shoulder holster. I hate to let my guns get wet.

I started out with 240 grain Keith SWC but most of the deer were taken with Speer 200 grain hollow point bullets. They hit like a lightening bolt and most were one shot kiils.

About three years ago the state approved rifle huntling in my area and I've been carrying a 30/30 or 7mm Mauser lately. This year it will be the new Centennial with 45/60 black powder cartridges.

But on those misty, drizzly, wet snow days, the .44 will be under my coat.

IdahoBackwoods
10-15-2010, 11:03 PM
I used to hunt mule deer with a 5-inch S&W M29 -- .44 Mag, of course. Killed one deer with it, and described that in another thread.

I'm 69 now, and my eyes aren't what they used to be. So I use handguns with scopes now. I like the .454 Casull cartridge a lot. Since I handload all my ammo, I can load it to suit my increasingly arthritic hands.

The last deer I killed was a doe at 35 yards. I ambushed a herd that was grazing toward me in a thick grove of trees. I had a T/C Contender in 7-30 Waters (a .30-30 necked down to 7mm), with a 2X scope. I aimed through a small gap in the tree branches and shot the doe in the heart, and she leaped up in the air and disappeared from view. After the herd had run off and it was quiet again, I stepped out and looked around for the doe, but didn't see her. It turned out that she had leapt into the air toward me. but the tree screen kept me from seeing that. She was piled up right in front of where I was standing when I fired.

We often have elk on our property, but I haven't gotten a clean enough shot to pull the trigger. We had a big bull bugling 30 yards behind the house a couple of weeks ago, but that was before the season opened.

Old Philosopher
10-15-2010, 11:29 PM
I'm 69 now, and my eyes aren't what they used to be. So I use handguns with scopes now. I like the .454 Casull cartridge a lot. Since I handload all my ammo, I can load it to suit my increasingly arthritic hands.
Kinda bites, when the ol' odometer gets up over 200,000 miles, doesn't it, IB? ;)
I was already to show off at the range last week, and found out (in front of too many witnesses) that a 4 pound revolver and my shoulder don't get along anymore. I went to a two handed position and had no problem. But no more dueling positions for me.... :(

Jäger
10-16-2010, 09:32 AM
Hey OP, good post. I always carry a handgun, large bore with me when I hunt, in case I get into a tangle with a grizz/black bear, or cougar here in Montana, if I die at least it will be in a pile of brass :D

I also carry my Ruger .22 pistol or AR-7 in the truck and carry a very small lightweight Jennings .22 pistol in my hunting pack when I'm bow/rifle hunting if I come across small game here like grouse, rabbit, snowshoe hare, etc, I can take for the pot. It's nice to have along as a small game opportunity gun when big game hunting. I've also taken deer and antelope with a pistol for for a change from the bow and rifle hunting I usually do.

On another note in the book Castner's Cutthroats, Saga of the Alaskans Scouts, they carried Colt woodsman's pistols to forage small game with, along with the rifles they carried. Very good read with lots of bushcraft info in it. Link below.
http://www.amazon.com/Castners-Cutthroats-Saga-Alaska-Scouts/dp/1575100843/ref=pd_sim_sbs_b_1

Jäger

Skab
10-16-2010, 09:45 AM
I try to hunt with my S&W .44 every chance I get. I enjoy rifle and bow hunting, but the handgun is easier to tote around and provides more of a challenge. As with the rifle if I can see it I can kill it.

With the hand gun I have taken mant deer, an antelope, a mountain lion and lots and lots of coyotes.

I would love to try for a bear or even an elk someday. And have been dreaming of a S&W .500 for sometime now!

PeterCartwright
10-16-2010, 10:34 AM
I've taken rabbits and squirrels with my Ruger Mark II target .22. And, as noted in a parallel post, I took two whitetails with my Ruger Super Blackhawk /.44. Actually, the latter was the gun that started my handgun adventures, after a memorable encounter with Yogi in the BWCA:21:.

I finally found a Ruger 5.5" Redhawk/.44 several years ago. I really like the shorter barrel (my Super Blackhawk is 7.5"), but I haven't yet taken anything with it. Oh, almost forgot, I also took an antlerless deer one year with a Kimber Compact in .45ACP. It wasn't exactly planned, but the opportunity presented itself from about 30 yards while sitting in a blind and I took it.

PC

Malamute
10-16-2010, 10:43 AM
I shot a deer, several coyotes, and a ton of small game with my old Smith 29. I still don't consider myself a pistol hunter, unless it would be small game. I just use whatever's handy. When I'm looking for real meat, i use a scoped bolt gun, I just want the most options open for making meat when I spend money on a tag. If I see meat at 300 yards, no problem. The deer I shot was about 75 yards, and the Smith was the only gun I had on me at the time. I was still in my sleeping bag.

Now actually hunting with a pistol, squirrels and bunnies are a blast to hunt, and keep you tuned up nicely. Bunnies on the run are great fun.

The old Smith,

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b387/Malamute/outdoor%20sports/IMG_1299.jpg

alukban
10-16-2010, 11:08 AM
OOOOOOOO that's one beautiful looking setup!!! My goodness!!!!

I feel all flustered and confused right now... just like how I used to feel when an unbelievably good looking woman walks into a room :30::4:

Old Philosopher
10-16-2010, 11:50 AM

The old Smith,

Looking at the finish on that ol' gal says she has some stories to tell. Nice!
I"m glad to know I'm not the only one who uses bird shot out of a revolver. ;)

Malamute
10-16-2010, 12:23 PM
I use the birdshot for snakes as the first round up in the summer. I havent been able to get decent patterns beyond about 10 feet, so haven't used them otherwise.

They do a very good job on snakes at 3 feet,...inside the house. The shot and plastic capsule is a bit hard of the floor, but there are other considerations besides the floor. :)

Old Philosopher
10-16-2010, 12:33 PM
LOL! Hard on the ears, inside the house I imagine!
With the 7" barrel on my Blackhawk, I get a bit better pattern. The grouse I've killed with the shot rounds were between 10 and 15 feet, but I think it was the muzzle blast that got them (or the plastic cap), and not the bird shot! ROFL!

Malamute
10-16-2010, 01:02 PM
I shoot grouse mostly with a 22 pistol, or round ball loads in the 30-30 or 348. Have used round balls in the 45-70 also. They work great and don't make much noise or tear up much meat. I go for very minimal charges for quiet shooting and not spooking the dogs, or neighbors when I use them for yard varmints.

Have fooled with some round balls in 44, but not enough to know how they will do for accuracy in a pistol. One of the Speer manuals had round ball loads for many pistol calibers.

redneckdan
10-16-2010, 01:22 PM
If I have pants on I have my S&W model 15 on. I usually have the first two rounds loaded with grouse loads. The next four are stomper hollow points. I have taken deer with it at close range. This revolver goes with me everywhere except campus. Even when I am carry a rifle or heavier handgun for hunting I have the model 15 with me.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b77/redneckdan/IMGP3729.jpg

Old Philosopher
10-16-2010, 01:35 PM
This thread got me reminiscing about guns I've hunted with, guns I've owned, and guns I sold over the past 50 years. So here's my pearl of wisdom for younger folk:
Don't ever sell a weapon just because you think you need the money for something else! You will regret it. There's always another way to come up with the few bucks you'll get for something that may be irreplaceable.
Of the handguns I've owned, and sold, here are the ones I wish had never left me:

High Standard "HD Military" .22 pistol (Stupidest day of my life when I sold it! One just went at auction for $815..I sold it for $75 35 years ago.)
Intercontinental Arms .357 Mag "Dakota" w/9" barrel (IA made all the replica firearms for the "Dollars" movies)
S&W Mod 28, "Highway Patrolman", .357 Mag
Beretta Mod 70, .32 Auto
Colt Mod 36 Detective Spl. 38 cal.

Hind sight is 20/20. :(

blackhawkhunter
10-16-2010, 03:56 PM
My buddy from years gone by hunted anything smaller than a coyote with his H&R 9-shot Sportsman. Put a lot of grouse in the pot! He lost it in hip-deep snow, and we never did find it, even after spring thaw.

Oh man.... I would cry! I am pretty attached to that little revolver. I to have got a lot of partridge and hare with it. It kept me feed for a week at deer camp when my partner with the food never showed!

chili_p
10-16-2010, 10:44 PM
I picked this up for a good deal earlier this year. It's a Ruger Redhawk in 44 mag with a 2x Leopold scope on it. I was going to deer hunt in Ohio with it but plans fell through for that. Their is always next year though.

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q9/chili_p/pix833237015.jpg

blackhawkhunter
10-17-2010, 11:50 AM
I picked this up for a good deal earlier this year. It's a Ruger Redhawk in 44 mag with a 2x Leopold scope on it. I was going to deer hunt in Ohio with it but plans fell through for that. Their is always next year though.

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q9/chili_p/pix833237015.jpg

Me like very much!

Mannlicher
10-17-2010, 06:06 PM
I have been taking small game with a .22 S&W revolver for years. Rabbits, squirrels and other animals are easy to take with an accurate revolver.

When I hunt deer and hogs, I always take a revolver in either .44 Mag or .45 Colt. I favor the Colt N frames and Ruger SA.

Where I hunt the undercover is very thick, and I am almost always in a swamp. I'll often lean my rifle against a tree, and go into the scrub with just the revolver.

packn_rn
10-17-2010, 06:52 PM
I routinely take a .22 pistol with on hikes to take small game, mostly partridge rabbitts, I've taken one whitetail with a .357, I don't plan on doing that again anytime soon.

EdD270
10-19-2010, 12:58 AM
I enjoy hunting with a handgun. I hunt with a .357 Mag revolver, a .40S&W semi-auto, a .22 revolver or semi auto, depending on what I'm going after. Even when hunting with a centerfire rifle or shotgun, I carry a handgun for potshots at small game.

One Legged Josh
10-20-2010, 01:58 PM
I hunt with 3 different handguns.

A .22 Ruger Charger for tree rats
http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk221/olj440/guns001.jpg
A "new model" Super blackhawk in .44 mag for deer
http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk221/olj440/001.jpg
and a Taurus Tracker in .357 mag with a 2x scope
http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk221/olj440/sinkers040-Copy.jpg

Dink
10-20-2010, 03:32 PM
I answered the best I could...Otherwise I would have to say, I hunt with a rifle, but I always carry a handgun with me. I also hunt with it on a regular basis.

gpgriz
10-27-2010, 09:43 PM
This is when I would prefer looser rules on handguns here in Canada.

I voted for never have but would like too.

But atleast I don't have it as bad as the guy from Iowa? No high powered rifles? sheesh!

It'd be great to pack my Ruger MkII Target for grouse!!!

Well...that's what hunting dreams are for.

blackhawkhunter
11-04-2010, 02:59 PM
I was out in the woods of northern NH for a few days and got some partridge with my 22 revolver..... I'd post pics, but not sure how to. I got 3 birds with 5 shots.... one bird didnt fly at the first shot, that was his first and last mistake.

bigbore442001
11-04-2010, 05:00 PM
This is when I would prefer looser rules on handguns here in Canada.

I voted for never have but would like too.

But atleast I don't have it as bad as the guy from Iowa? No high powered rifles? sheesh!

It'd be great to pack my Ruger MkII Target for grouse!!!

Well...that's what hunting dreams are for.

Your border is on the state of Montana. Handgun hunting is legal in that state so why not make a trip one day to try it out?

madmax
11-04-2010, 05:03 PM
Took a coupla pigs with a Taurus 454 casull. Pop squirrel with a 22 contender.

ohiobackwoodsboy
11-04-2010, 05:22 PM
i have hunted deer in ohio for 6 years with a handgun i use a 45lc ruger cowboy gun and a 45lc tc contender and a smith 500 i dont like that gun for hunting deer its to much gun i want to try elk and bear with the 500

PMSteve
11-04-2010, 05:30 PM
I've hunted deer with a Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 magnum. Mostly I hunt small game with a .22 mag Ruger Single Six as well as my Sig-Sauer Mosquito .22 pistol.

As to why? Ease of carrying in the field. Irreparably torn rotator-cuff tendon in the right shoulder really hurts while using a bow or a rifle.

Also. When not hunting, the handgun can go in the pack / bag and *nobody knows* ...:33:

PMSteve
11-04-2010, 05:38 PM
I shot a deer, several coyotes, and a ton of small game with my old Smith 29. I still don't consider myself a pistol hunter, unless it would be small game. I just use whatever's handy. When I'm looking for real meat, i use a scoped bolt gun, I just want the most options open for making meat when I spend money on a tag. If I see meat at 300 yards, no problem. The deer I shot was about 75 yards, and the Smith was the only gun I had on me at the time. I was still in my sleeping bag.

Now actually hunting with a pistol, squirrels and bunnies are a blast to hunt, and keep you tuned up nicely. Bunnies on the run are great fun.

The old Smith,

What a sweet looking old M-29! I'll bet there are some stories attached to that piece of iron! :dblthumb:

whelen35
11-04-2010, 07:51 PM
I started out hunting with a bow. Sholder problems put an end to that for several years. Now I can again-yea! Did the rong range thing for a bir with deer but missed the thrill I found with the bow. Now I have taken deer with lots of differant handguns. In close and long range for me. It brought back the thrill I was missing with the bow. It is great fun, and makes me think more about my shooting.

Mr.Purcell
11-04-2010, 09:22 PM
Back in my gear ##### days:D, I successfully hunted with a 10" Ruger Super Blackhawk and 7" Ruger Redhawk, both 44 mags with iron sites; strictly Whitetail, which overpopulate the area around my cabin. Since moving down to town, afraid to say I haven't hunted in years, and am down to a subcompact XD in 9mm. I'm reasonably sure of putting a Whitetail in the locker at 50 yards or less with it, but the state of Idaho insists that only handguns in 357 mag or larger be used for big game hunting ( wankers, plenty of deer suffer non-fatal wounds granted them by inept hunters armed with high caliber long guns every year).

wrbthe3rd
11-04-2010, 09:56 PM
Ruger Super Redhawk7.5 stainless 44 mag

tennecedar
11-04-2010, 11:03 PM
My 2 main users. A Ruger GP100 4" 357mag. A Smith & Wesson 22A-1 5½" 22lr. Both with fully adjustable sights.

Sorry bout the pic, having to use my phone for now.

http://bushcraftusa.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=49&pictureid=1516

benajah
11-04-2010, 11:13 PM
I used to hunt bear with a .357, black bear in NC where they rarely get bigger than 300 pounds and you shoot at close range.
I would never imagine hunting anything beyond 100 ft with one though.

Old Philosopher
11-04-2010, 11:22 PM
I used to hunt bear with a .357, black bear in NC where they rarely get bigger than 300 pounds and you shoot at close range.
I know a lot of people do it, but I feel the same way about the .357. My scoped S&W was sure fun on coyotes, foxes and crows, though! :)

tennecedar
11-04-2010, 11:23 PM

I feel about the same with mine. My abilities limit my range. I'm confident in making clean shots out to 30 yards or so. I practice at 50 yards regularly but I'm not sure I would shoot that far at an animal. The gun is more than capable, it's me. I use a handgun when it's rifle season to hunt the same spots I bowhunt. At the same ranges.