PDA

View Full Version : A simple Challenge

shillelaghslaw
10-22-2010, 06:44 AM
I dont know about the rest of you but I often get questions about my hobbies and my automatic answer is Bushcraft to which the typical response is, :31: , So I try to define it for them "its similar to survival but for a longer time" to which they respond, "Oh your a survival guy, like survivor man or the crazy British guy, whats his name? Bear Oven or something?" usually I just nod and smile. So my challenge is, how do you define bushcraft in one sentence. (and yes i understand that bushcraft is a form of survival but try not to use that word so as to reduce confusion)

you can also feel free to define, survival, primitive living, wilderness survival (are they different) and what ever else you think is fun.

My definition is

bushcraft: the long term craft of ones environment with tools available for the subsistence in said environment. (its a work in progress)

MIDVM-LFB
10-22-2010, 06:54 AM
Bushcraft to me is:

Using primitive skills in the wilderness, to not only "survive", but to live comfortably with minimal tools.

Then I explain that "survival" is just trying to stay alive whil waiting for rescue. Whereas Bushcraft is being able to comfortably sustain life in the wild using basic skills, basic tools and natural materials.

Pinebaron
10-22-2010, 06:56 AM
Using natural resources to create items using simple handtools for the purpose of preserving life crafts of early indigenous Americans using both old and new technologies.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with...

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

dwightp
10-22-2010, 07:03 AM
Bushcraft to me is:

Using primitive skills in the wilderness, to not only "survive", but to live comfortably with minimal tools.

Then I explain that "survival" is just trying to stay alive whil waiting for rescue. Whereas Bushcraft is being able to comfortably sustain life in the wild using basic skills, basic tools and natural materials.

Good posting and I agree wholeheartedly. There is a difference in trying to "survive" versus "living" in the woods.

Even the terminology reflects mindset. If I am trying to "survive" that indicates that I am just trying to "get by" in a foreign environment to which I do not belong. But if I am trying to live in the woods comfortably, that indicates a mindset that "I BELONG here........this is my home for now and I want to make things as comfortable as possible while I am here".

HumanPackMule
10-22-2010, 07:03 AM
I'm going on a fishing trip with some guys today who I know are going to ask about the Bushcraft USA patch on my bag. I've actually been thinking about how to respond to this question while sipping down my coffee. I was going to reply it's simply self-reliance.

SIXFOOTER
10-22-2010, 07:05 AM
To me, its the learning, practicing, carrying on and teaching the traditional skills needed for outdoor living

Andy2112
10-22-2010, 07:07 AM
Just tell em you're wild camping, that's what i do, then go on to tell em you eat squirrels rabbits etc, they soon get disinterested.

madmax
10-22-2010, 07:18 AM
Good question. "Bear Oven" LOL! Most people are just mildly curious when they ask me and my short answer is, "...we make fire with sticks and stones, forage for natural foods like berries, eat bugs, make lean-tos...". They either make a few more polite comments and the conversation moves on or they home in with interest and I'll go into more detail about primitive skills or survival/preparedness depending on their interest.
Bushcraft to me is smoothing it in the wild.

BushBum
10-22-2010, 08:05 AM
the pursuit of a broad spectrum of longterm wilderness skills,developin competancy in these is the goal unto itself.

Dross
10-22-2010, 08:13 AM
Good posting and I agree wholeheartedly. There is a difference in trying to "survive" versus "living" in the woods.

I very much see it this way. thriving in the wilderness. It's making the most out of the least amount possible.
If that doesn't work I just say "I'm into primitive camping"

Skab
10-22-2010, 08:37 AM
Simple for me, Bushcraft are the skills and knowledge a woodsman uses. Whether it be hunting, fishing, trapping, firecraft, campcraft, sheltercraft, foraging, orienteering, use of edged tools..........the list goes on and on.

kenncarleton
10-22-2010, 08:38 AM
i was asked what bushcraft was last night by some city livers ..after about 15 mins of trying to explain it i came up with the answer of its basically boy scouts for grown ups
they understood that. :D

Kendo
10-22-2010, 09:33 AM
I just say camping or hiking.

PMSteve
10-22-2010, 10:10 AM
I just say I'm a "Neo-Frontiersman" or "Traditional Camping Enthusiast" or "Primitive Naturalist" although I'm particularly fond of "Bush Hippie".

When you start mentioning survival, etc. or TEOTWAWKI.. folks start to walk away while keeping an eye on you till they're well out of arm's reach.

tobigforyou
10-22-2010, 10:15 AM
I define it as primitive living skills.

Darkwaters
10-22-2010, 10:21 AM
I'd say using primitive skills to achieve comfort while camping.

I was trying to explain this to my niece who is 8 yesterday. I was watching dual survivor and Cody was striking flint against the spine of his knife and she asked " why don't they use a lighter?". I responded by asking her if she had a lighter and she said no, then I asked how she would make a fire. She said she would get me to make it.

I used my definition to explain to her what I do when I got out into the woods.

Trekon86
10-22-2010, 10:34 AM
Just tell em you're wild camping, that's what i do, then go on to tell em you eat squirrels rabbits etc, they soon get disinterested.

LMAO Andy, I think the reaction you'll get from saying that you're "camping" over there would be hilarious!
PMZ

One Legged Josh
10-22-2010, 10:36 AM
I have a friend who loves to camp, but last time we went out he brought a battery powered bug zapper, and a fan for his tent....I say the opposite of that is bushcraft.

I never mention "survival".

I usually say its basically "primitive camping".

Skab
10-22-2010, 10:36 AM
I see everyone posting primitive skills, while to me primitive skills is only a small part of it. I think of bushcraft not only as the skills and knowledge but also a mind set.

Looking at anything whether in nature or man made and wondering what other uses it may have and how you can get more out of it.

Stealthy
10-22-2010, 10:55 AM
I have traveled all around the world eaten in some of the best restaurants and my mates still do not understand why i like being on my own in the middle of nowhere with a tent and nature.

Rubicon_Dave
10-22-2010, 11:06 AM
I very much see it this way. thriving in the wilderness. It's making the most out of the least amount possible.
If that doesn't work I just say "I'm into primitive camping"

Exactly the same words I use... for me it has nothing to do with "survivalist" with the small exception that the skills can be used for survival.

I have all the usual creature comforts for hiking and camping and been there, and done that. These days I prefer to take it back to square one and just go for the basics. The lighter load is also a blessing to my back.

I like not having a radio, shower, catalytic space heater, and all the other crap folks drag up to the woods. I'm trying to get away from all that, and prefer the company of the woods and what is has to offer. A good day for me is when the squirrels are harvesting pine cones and sending them down on to the top of my hammock at first light. :) this is better than any alarm clock in my book. (thank god I have a tarp...)

kevin
10-22-2010, 11:14 AM
my definition: playing in the woods where its quiet and my kids are not screaming (usually)

northstar
10-22-2010, 01:24 PM
I just say I'm going camping and leave it at that.

Tony

petrifiedwood
10-22-2010, 01:50 PM
To me, its the learning, practicing, carrying on and teaching the traditional skills needed for outdoor living

That really sums it up for me quite well, I think.

T Co
10-22-2010, 01:52 PM
Self reliance in the wilderness..

I don't like the word survival included in terms of me camping. That's some zombie or ITEOTWAWKI stuff that I do NOT like being associated with Buscraft. Survival is what happens when practicing your skills takes a turn for the worse and you need help, not a bunch of other scenarios that COULD happen. If Bushrafting was about all that, I'd call Bill Murray and ask him to design me a knife.

Sorry for the rant, but there are times where the 2 words do not belong together.

VtBlackDog
10-22-2010, 02:00 PM
I just explain that Bushcraft if very much like Woodcraft.

also,aside from Woodcraft, I'd say I'm into Indian Lore, Man-scouting, Pre-Historic skills....but really if I have to talk to someone in the first place I'm already at a loss.

Eric_Methven
10-22-2010, 02:26 PM
"What the F**k is bushcraft?"
" I like to practice primitive camping, wild camping some people call it"
"Well, what do you do that's different from real camping?"
"I make a shelter from natural materials at hand, I light a campfire using traditional hand tools, I often forage for wild foods and I live closer to nature"
"Ah! you mean you are poor and can't afford proper camping equipment?"
"No, I'm not poor and I could buy modern camping equipment if I wanted to"
"So why don't you?"
"Because I like to spend my money on better things"
"Such as?"
"Well, a good hooker for starts. That reminds me, is your wife doing anything tonight?"

PMSteve
10-22-2010, 03:08 PM
"What the F**k is bushcraft?"
" I like to practice primitive camping, wild camping some people call it"
"Well, what do you do that's different from real camping?"
"I make a shelter from natural materials at hand, I light a campfire using traditional hand tools, I often forage for wild foods and I live closer to nature"
"Ah! you mean you are poor and can't afford proper camping equipment?"
"No, I'm not poor and I could buy modern camping equipment if I wanted to"
"So why don't you?"
"Because I like to spend my money on better things"
"Such as?"
"Well, a good hooker for starts. That reminds me, is your wife doing anything tonight?"

Eric! You kill me! :8:

tag187
10-22-2010, 03:15 PM
I try and explain to people that " Bushcraft is an art of living, where the skills I learn help me become closer to nature".

To me this is what bushcraft and being a "Woodsman" (as my friends and family fondly refer to me as) truely does for us. We gain a better understanding of the natural world around us. Through this understanding we become comfortable in a more natural enviroment. As we grow more proficent we shed the modern "conviences" of the electronic world and find ourselves more at ease with less.

When my family and I used to show up to group camps with our friends and we only have the packs on our backs and a few bed rolls, they used to look at me like "your a fool who's gonna be uncomfortable this weekend".

Now after a few trips they ask us advice on how to make their trip more enjoyable. I tell them "learn to do more with less". This doens't mean we don't have a lot of gear, cause BOY do we. Yet even in our most loaded down trips we tend to stick to a more 1940-50's kit (colman stove, gas lantern, chuck box, fishing/hunting kit, the basics is my point) and we are very happy, spend more time together, and more time with nature. That is what bushcraft is all about.

demonjames
10-22-2010, 03:29 PM
in one sentence, Bushcraft is pure freedom ^^

MrFilson
10-22-2010, 03:57 PM
Paleobotany

Is the term I use they pretent to know what it is and we all move foward. Nice and clean.

tennecedar
10-22-2010, 04:37 PM
My idea of bushcraft-
Primitive living skills, woodsman-ship, survival skills, self reliance, and a love for experiencing nature that culminates into an art. One that allows it's student to thrive in the wilds with nothing more than what he carries on his back.
An art that has many teachers and very few masters.