PDA

View Full Version : Off Topic Section?

tobigforyou
10-24-2010, 01:43 PM
I was wondering what you guys thought about creating an Off Topic section on the forum. I find myself sharing stuff with you guys that sometimes have nothing to do with Bushcraft, but nonetheless still enjoy sharing with you guys.
But this is still a bushcraft forum, and in my opinion the General Discussion, should be about general discussion on bushcraft! :D

Buckskin
10-24-2010, 02:02 PM
We had one at one time, but it kind of got out of control and was a nightmare for the mods and owners. It was deemed then I believe to use the General Discussion Forum for anything, but keeping it bushcraft related. Thats why we are all here is for bushcraft. There are plenty of other websites and forums to discuss the myriad of things we encounter outside of bushcraft. Its all just to keep this site like it is, a close knit group of folks for the love bushcraft, let the rest go.

countrydave
10-24-2010, 02:07 PM
Yeah the problem with off topic sections is they get clogged with political BS , Tinfoil conspiracy junk and rants. I am quite pleased with the lack of it here. Other sites I am a member of have them and they seem to dominate the discussions , taking away from the original intend of the site to begin with.

Bernie Garland
10-24-2010, 02:09 PM
Am all for it myself,like a good rant and ruck LoL

Bernie

tobigforyou
10-24-2010, 02:19 PM
I didn't even know we had one. How long ago was this?
Well if we tried it and it didn't work, then forget about it.

GreyOne
10-24-2010, 03:43 PM
We had the Cess Pool, in the Pit section. It was home to some good humor and jokes on occasion, but the political arguments became too much a problem. There were cases of hurt feelings, and trolling was a problem. By removing that , we found a lot more concentration on the Bushcraft areas, and fewer angry encounters.

If a topic will not fit well in General Discussion, it probably needs to be shared on another site, or by PM/ email to those you know.

petrifiedwood
10-24-2010, 04:02 PM
I haven't been around long enough to have seen much arguing and fighting here, and I'm glad for that.

I've seen a lot of bickering and downright rude behavior on other sites, and this one doesn't have that kind of atmosphere. It's why I spend so much time here. There's plenty of polite, intelligent discussion of topics we are all commonly interested in (bushcraft).

I am sure this is due to the careful implementation of policy by the staff and mods.

The site "works" the way it is, because they have learned from past experiences as it has grown. Like the old saying goes, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

Guardian
10-24-2010, 04:28 PM
I like it just as it is. That's just my view on it.