PDA

View Full Version : ...more of a technical question,...

Malamute
10-26-2010, 08:55 PM
I was wondering why, when I make a post, and when I send a PM, I often have to re-log in to complete sending it? My cookie settings allow cookies from here. I can't figure out why else it would do this. I do type kind of slow, but perhaps 5 minutes or so for a post or PM is probably about the max.

goldman
10-26-2010, 09:25 PM
that happened to me once on a like a 5 paragraph post and once i logged in it was all gone. stupid me.

Old Philosopher
10-26-2010, 10:20 PM
When you log in, make sure you check the box that says "Remeber me". I can be off the Forum for 24 hours, and not have to log in again.

Guy
10-26-2010, 10:25 PM
I select the Remember Me box as well and have never had that problem. We have a 20 minute time-out setting, so it shouldn't be a forced time-out from the board.

Malamute
10-27-2010, 08:10 AM
20 minute time out, does that mean even 20 minutes just being on the forum?

I havent ever checked the remember me box. I thought that was to not have to log in next visit. I just didn't think I'd have to log in again on one visit unless I left the computer sit unattended for a while, as sometimes happens if a phone call or something came up.

Thanks for the input guys.

Old Philosopher
10-27-2010, 09:46 AM
I'm not sure that 20 minute switch is working as advertised. I've been guilty of being in the middle of a post, and getting interrupted for 45 minutes. I come back, finish my post and enter it without a hitch.
The only problems I've had were accessing the board at peak hours. The other thing I've found with vBulletin software is that you can get bumped if you're posting in a thread where 3-5+ people are trying to post at the same time.
One trick I've learned out of paranoia is to highlight my text and copy it to my buffer (CTRL-A, CTRL-C) before trying to Preview, or Post. If the connection glitches, I can just past into a new message window when it comes back, without loosing everything I typed.

Guy
10-27-2010, 09:51 AM
20 minute time out, does that mean even 20 minutes just being on the forum?

I havent ever checked the remember me box. I thought that was to not have to log in next visit. I just didn't think I'd have to log in again on one visit unless I left the computer sit unattended for a while, as sometimes happens if a phone call or something came up.

Thanks for the input guys.

No, its 20 minutes of inactivity, not board time. So if you spend a long time pontificating your post or you get distracted, it may not be there when you click "Submit Reply." When I find myself in that situation, I do the CTRL-A, CTRL-C thing, just in case.

Guy
10-27-2010, 09:54 AM
My bad, I just checked and it was set for 15 minutes. I just reset it for 20.

BTW, this is the Session Timeout, so when someone logs out, they still show as being online for this same period of time afterwards...20 minutes.

Old Philosopher
10-27-2010, 10:06 AM
My bad, I just checked and it was set for 15 minutes. I just reset it for 20.

BTW, this is the Session Timeout, so when someone logs out, they still show as being online for this same period of time afterwards...20 minutes.

I suspected that was what you meant. ;)
I was never sure why that was even a programmable variable. Since that little "light" next to a caller's name indicates if they are on or off line, I would think you'd want it to switch off them moment they were no longer here.
If someone is trying to PM them, say, and it shows them on-line for 20 minutes after having gone off to dinner, it's misleading.
Just sayin'.........

Guy
10-27-2010, 10:29 AM
I suspected that was what you meant. ;)
I was never sure why that was even a programmable variable. Since that little "light" next to a caller's name indicates if they are on or off line, I would think you'd want it to switch off them moment they were no longer here.
If someone is trying to PM them, say, and it shows them on-line for 20 minutes after having gone off to dinner, it's misleading.
Just sayin'.........

I agree, but there in only one setting that affects both.