PDA

View Full Version : Where to go...

weedeater64
11-01-2010, 10:53 AM
Wasn't sure where to post this, hope this is ok,...

So I find myself increasingly unhappy with my decision to move to Norfolk, Va.

I just called the powers that be at the Back Bay National Wildlife refuge, and asked a few questions. One of which was what about stoves, specifically hobo stoves, which she of course knew nothing about. Anyway, she ended up specifically stating that only propane stoves are allowed. If I were going to go there, I'd risk taking an alcohol stove, but I'm not going to go there, because of the fire restriction, and the fee of $11.00, ridiculous.

I was looking at the website for the First Landing State Park, and they do allow fires, but only in designated camping areas. Also there is a warning on their site to not bring firewood from elsewhere, their excuse for this is to stop importing pests.. I don't buy it. They also don't allow collecting downed dead wood. They will however sell you some firewood, AHAH!! I see...
Looks like there is no fee for primitive camping, but you do need to register... I don't care for that.

So, for the immediate future (this week through winter), I was hoping some Virginians or neighbor's could direct me to some more bushcraft friendly stomping grounds, the closer to Norfolk, the better for now.

Loner term (winter through spring summer) a bit further away, maybe the Washignton/Jefferson forests...

Longer term still, my next move out of the metro area, and back to a small town/city somewhere near large forests with little in the way of restrictions.

Federal forests seem the best places, but from recent preliminary searching it appears that even many of them are clamping down, and finding new and better ways to part folks from their hard earned cash.

So what's it like where you are, where would you rather be?

Hope I'm making sense.

Arrowolf
11-01-2010, 11:32 AM
When I lived there back in the 70's, the Nottoway River was a place we'd go. Of course, I'm sure things have changed considerably. But back then, there were less people in the area as a whole.

BTW, that's no B/S about the firewood. Here's some info from my agency on the subject: http://www.aphis.usda.gov/newsroom/hot_issues/firewood/index.shtml

weedeater64
11-01-2010, 12:43 PM
When I lived there back in the 70's, the Nottoway River was a place we'd go. Of course, I'm sure things have changed considerably. But back then, there were less people in the area as a whole.

BTW, that's no B/S about the firewood. Here's some info from my agency on the subject: http://www.aphis.usda.gov/newsroom/hot_issues/firewood/index.shtml

Of course it's BS, otherwise they'd let you gather wood on site.

Where do you suppose they are getting the wood they sell from?

You put these two rules together and it's a nifty profit ploy. They aren't kidding me.

Edit;

I'm not saying invasive species aren't a problem, I'm saying if that's a concern to them, then the only wood that should be allowed to burn would be dead wood found on site.

I seriously doubt that all the wood they are selling is from the site.

It's just another government scam disguised as concern for the environment.

Arisaka99
11-01-2010, 01:41 PM
Try northwest river park, great place!!

Arrowolf
11-01-2010, 02:32 PM
No, it's probably not from on-site but it probably has been inspected or taken from a pest-free area. But no there's no point in trying to convince a conspiracy fanatic.

Jon Foster
11-01-2010, 04:30 PM
Here in Michigan we have serious pest issues in the wood. Everything sold is checked. Moving wood around is banned big time. As for where to go. I'm not sure you'll find many places close to a main city or town in any state. They all seem to be overrun with weekender's. Which of course causes more and more rules to be put in place.

Jon.