View Full Version : A look at Northern Maine Winters

Kendo
11-01-2010, 09:50 PM
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c381/Major_Kendo/KampPsycho.jpg

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c381/Major_Kendo/Blazer.jpg

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c381/Major_Kendo/P1.jpg

Sgt. Mac
11-01-2010, 09:53 PM
Thats a lot of snow. How many inches do you normaly get each year?

top o' deep
11-01-2010, 09:56 PM
we get that much snow here in the mountains of MT(not last year though). we don't fight it or shovel. we make trails and walk on top of it from the cabin to the outhouse to the chicken house to the woodshed, etc...! and ride snowmobiles. no truck gets here for around 6 months a year.
nice pics though. i've always wondered why folks shovel snow when you can just make a path by walking on it. just courious.
when we lived in town, i never shoveled once in 10 years. if the mailman didn't want to deliver the mail...so what...i'll get it later when the snow melts, if someone that lives in MT can't walk on a sidewalk with snow on it then my thoughts were that they should move to FL. just my thoughts.:33:
what's next? your required to have a heated mailbox so snow dosen't collect on it?
enough ranting:24:

Kendo
11-01-2010, 10:07 PM
Thats a lot of snow. How many inches do you normaly get each year?

About 9 and a half feet on average. ( 116 inches )

The first 2 pics was when we got 197.8 inches of snow in 08 ( 16.5 feet )

top o' deep
11-01-2010, 10:09 PM
About 9 and a half feet on average. ( 116 inches )

sorry! we don't get that much. we do get as much that's in the pic though.:1:

Kendo
11-01-2010, 10:11 PM
sorry! we don't get that much. we do get as much that's in the pic though.:1:

LOL The first 2 was taken in 08 when we got 16.5 feet of snow.

Kendo
11-01-2010, 10:13 PM
I should also say I am 6'1" to help with the scale.

Old Philosopher
11-01-2010, 10:32 PM
Well, I like snow, because everything takes on a fresh new clean look. But there's snow, and then there's SNOW! I'm happy to live in the Banana Belt of the Rockies! :)
I hope it's not prophetic, but I bought an extra roof rake this year. :p Looks like you did a little roof top shoveling yourself!

top o' deep
11-01-2010, 10:37 PM
LOL The first 2 was taken in 08 when we got 16.5 feet of snow.

I should also say I am 6'1" to help with the scale.

makes since. i'm only 5'9" on a good day! waist high for me here @5200' is the general rule in the depth of winter.
i just wish we would get 16' of snow. i love it. breaking trail in that much snow on the snowmobile would be a hoot:13:
i've heard tails of 6/7' in a couple days here, but it hasen't happened since we've lived up here (6 1/2yr). who knows? maybe this year:D

top o' deep
11-01-2010, 10:41 PM
Well, I like snow, because everything takes on a fresh new clean look. But there's snow, and then there's SNOW! I'm happy to live in the Banana Belt of the Rockies! :)
I hope it's not prophetic, but I bought an extra roof rake this year. :p Looks like you did a little roof top shoveling yourself!

thank god ours was built steep enough that it just slides right off:dblthumb:

Kendo
11-01-2010, 10:53 PM

If you find yourself in this part of the world. I know a place to try out your new roof rake. lol

Old Philosopher
11-01-2010, 11:04 PM
If you find yourself in this part of the world. I know a place to try out your new roof rake. lol
The first one got a work out last winter. We had to take 18" off the roof--twice! And last winter was mild. After that, Momma said we needed two of them, so the boys could help! LOL!

walkabout
11-01-2010, 11:43 PM
I love snow! i love winter! i love cold weather! im hoping that my area gets pounded again like it did last year! we got a few storms last year that dumped over 30+, i feel most alive in that white wonderland.

Old Philosopher
11-01-2010, 11:52 PM
I love snow! i love winter! i love cold weather! im hoping that my area gets pounded again like it did last year! we got a few storms last year that dumped over 30+, i feel most alive in that white wonderland.
I love winter, and snow too. But I'm with T.O.D. on this one. I can't enjoy the winter wonderland if I'm in the ER with a heart attack from shoveling the $hit!
Funny part is, it's so dry here that I can usually clear my front path with a leaf blower! Hahaha!

walkabout
11-02-2010, 12:36 AM
Wet snow is a killer for sure! i like the snow that i can sweep with a broom, that wet slop will make you feel humbled right quick!

Old Philosopher
11-02-2010, 12:52 AM
Wet snow is a killer for sure! i like the snow that i can sweep with a broom, that wet slop will make you feel humbled right quick!
I'd rather shovel 2 feet of Montana snow, than 6" of Western Washington snow! :34:

northstar
11-02-2010, 01:12 AM
Man, thats some snow some of you guys get. If we get 4- 6 inches here my town goes into panic mode.

Tony

Easy_rider75
11-02-2010, 01:14 AM

Yep couldn't have said it better. I think me though not a huge fan of the winter it's not that I dislike winter or snow I dislike the ice. I loath ice really lol. But that being said I would rather have a couple of feet of powder than a couple inches of the wet heavy slushy stuff.

Beautiful pics though. That is the thing I like about the winter how peaceful it is outside (till the damn plow truck messes everything up LOL)

bigbore442001
11-02-2010, 03:52 AM
Snow is beautiful but it can have some problems. That winter was severe in Maine and about one half of the northern Maine deer herd died that winter. Some state officials wanted to shut down the deer season for one year due to that fact.

skw
11-02-2010, 03:58 AM
Lovely! I can't wait for the snowfall!

matt

Kendo
11-02-2010, 04:21 AM
Snow is beautiful but it can have some problems. That winter was severe in Maine and about one half of the northern Maine deer herd died that winter. Some state officials wanted to shut down the deer season for one year due to that fact.

08 was a brutal year. I do not think anyone since the 50's had seen that much snow. There was a ton of deer strikes alone the interstate do to the snow forcing the deer out of the woods and the state cutting the trees along the road.

Light fluffy snow?? What is that?? It is not the snow that gets you, but the negative degree cold that gets you. Neg -26 days on end and some nights and days below -40. Good times. lol

MountainSurvival
11-02-2010, 04:40 AM
I just found a oldhttp://i352.photobucket.com/albums/r352/truggyworks/Toyz/02-27-08_13081.jpg pic of a snow storm from 08', Bad year..

Pinebaron
11-02-2010, 05:03 AM
When I lived in NJ we would get some good snows, not like Maine though. Down here in GA, 4" of snow shuts the state down. That's when you have everyone running to the store to buy milk and bread prior to the storm and 4 x 4's in the ditches afterwards. Folks with cars just stay home and...well boys will be boys. The biggest issue in the south is ice. It doesn't always stay cold so we will go through thaw/freeze cycles which turn the roads into ice sheets. My county only has one or two sand spreaders. I think its fun.

MountainSurvival
11-02-2010, 05:08 AM
When I lived in NJ we would get some good snows, not like Maine though. Down here in GA, 4" of snow shuts the state down. That's when you have everyone running to the store to buy milk and bread prior to the storm and 4 x 4's in the ditches afterwards. Folks with cars just stay home and...well boys will be boys. The biggest issue in the south is ice. It doesn't always stay cold so we will go through thaw/freeze cycles which turn the roads into ice sheets. My county only has one or two sand spreaders. I think its fun.

"ROFLMAO"

Kendo
11-02-2010, 05:24 AM
The idea of 4" shutting down a state seems funny to me, but most places like NJ do not get the fall of snow like we do. I have to confess when DC got hit with 3 feet of snow I laughed my rear off.

IdahoBackwoods
11-02-2010, 05:46 AM
My wife and I live at 4100' in the mountains of north-central Idaho. Last year was unusual, with very little snow. The year before was unusual too, with more than average snow. That year, we had 51" on the ground twice -- once in January and once at the end of March. That year, we had to hire a guy with an end-loader four times to clear our driveway enough so we could drive in and out. We ended with piles of snow off to the side, one of them nine feet deep. It was the only time in 12 years that we've had to hire someone to move our snow.

We have steep metal roofs on our two main buildings, so the snow avalanches off.

According to the Western Regional Climate Center, our average annual total snowfall is 127 inches.

Pinebaron
11-02-2010, 06:20 AM
The idea of 4" shutting down a state seems funny to me, but most places like NJ do not get the fall of snow like we do. I have to confess when DC got hit with 3 feet of snow I laughed my rear off.

The state I was talking about is GA. New Jersey can get significant amounts of snow due to nor'easters. GA does not get a lot of snow. GA does not invest in a lot of snow clearing machines because these events do not happen very often. I've driven in Upper State New York, Canada, West Germany, etc in the winter so I have an understanding of the conditions there. Another thing that happens is GA does not get very cold. Ice is most slippery the closer to 32 degress F it is. When driving on ice that is near zero degrees F you have far more traction. So couple a daily freeze/thaw cycle, only freezing temperatures, driver inexperience, and little infrastructure equals a shut down state. Black ice is also prevalent during these times. Given a preference I would rather drive up north in the winter.

IdahoBackwoods
11-02-2010, 06:33 AM
Here are some pictures from our 2007-2008-2009 winters.

saxon
11-02-2010, 06:47 AM
I like snow to, but over 100 inches? Thats just not right man! :(

werewolf won
11-02-2010, 06:53 AM
Great stuff. I grew up over in Rangley, ME we could sure get some serious snow. Now I'm a bit further south in MA, but we still get some decent snow falls.
Wolf

Jon Foster
11-02-2010, 07:01 AM
I'm not looking forward to all the snow this season. Heck just having frost the last two mornings has been enough to get me grumbling...

Jon.

IdahoBackwoods
11-02-2010, 09:27 AM
Great stuff. I grew up over in Rangley, ME we could sure get some serious snow....

Isn't Rangeley where Louise Dickinson Rich lived when she wrote "We Took to the Woods"? A good book from a woman's point of view about living in the backwoods!

MountainSurvival
11-02-2010, 09:31 AM
I'm not looking forward to all the snow this season. Heck just having frost the last two mornings has been enough to get me grumbling...

Jon.

YA, BUT..........

werewolf won
11-02-2010, 10:41 AM
Isn't Rangeley where Louise Dickinson Rich lived when she wrote "We Took to the Woods"? A good book from a woman's point of view about living in the backwoods!

Yes, she was a local as was Carrie Stevens a fly tier of some note :D Oddly Ms Rich died in Mattapoisett, MA just a town away from where I live now.
Wolf

MountainSurvival
11-02-2010, 11:10 AM
I think Maine is one of the few states that use "SNOW BLOWERS" to clear the roads, Cause the plow's can't wing it it back far enough..

mainewoods
11-02-2010, 05:44 PM
You Got it Brother Kendo Got to Love Maine Winters! Thanks for Sharing the pics

OzaawaaMigiziNini
11-02-2010, 06:42 PM
I miss my snow... I remember a day and a half in November of 2008 where we spent every hour, on the hour shovelling half a foot of snow on the driveway...

Kendo
11-02-2010, 06:49 PM
I miss my snow... I remember a day and a half in November of 2008 where we spent every hour, on the hour shovelling half a foot of snow on the driveway...

When I get some I will send you some. LOL

Primitive Skills
11-02-2010, 06:58 PM
Just a matter of days before the first flakes hit and stick. Good trackin', but it does wear on the nerves come late February. Tried all kinds of shelter designs. In this part of Maine, the weather changes so frequently, you can have the wrong type of snow, too little snow, freezing rain, a freak thaw, an ice storm, and than the sun will go down before you figure out what shelter would be best! Because of the rapid weather changes, winter shelters are either quinzees, snow debris huts, or a fire dependent variety. YouTube - Wilderness Survival - Winter Shelter Series 2-Snow Debris Hut (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vM73FyK5gVs&feature=related)