PDA

View Full Version : The things you see...or, the ghillie suit as casual wear

Marvellous9
11-07-2010, 05:19 PM
I was driving into town yesterday (en route to an oil change) and on the road into town saw a pedestrian that made me double-take.

My speed was a righteously-legal 50 mph (speed limit), so I didn't have much time to goggle my eyes at him, but he(?) appeared to be hiking down the side of the road wearing a ghillie suit.

He was maybe half a mile out of town, heading toward the city limits, on the inside curve between the ditch and the pavement. From his(?) silhouette, there may have been a small backpack under the suit.

The mind boggles.

(The area has no public lands for a few miles--there is a railroad on one side and private lands on the other, and I hadn't seen a vehicle since the last house with its cars.)

It wasn't one of y'all taking the suit for a walk along the railroad frontage, was it? ;)

snakedoctor
11-07-2010, 05:23 PM
Hey some people are die hard hunters get there with or with out the truck! :D

I don't know I think I would have had to ask WTF!

Pict
11-07-2010, 05:26 PM
It wasn't me. I lay flat when I hear cars coming. Mac

ohski
11-07-2010, 05:51 PM

Thanks... I just spit water all over my laptop...! LOL

Ski

statikpunk
11-07-2010, 06:06 PM
If you have a better way of making the worlds most unsuccessful hitch hike, I would like to hear it!

One Legged Josh
11-07-2010, 06:10 PM
Most likely a "lost" hunter, the first thing he came to was the road.

OddTheViking
11-07-2010, 06:21 PM
Might be training for a hunt. Weight in the backpack and wearing the actual stuff he would be on the trip?

Cubmaster's son (my son's best friend) got a ghillie suit and his mom hemmed it up. He took it on the recent scout camping trip, and became instantly known as "Sasquatch."

I'm thinking of getting one just to scare the poo out of the kids on the next campout.

MikeInMo
11-07-2010, 08:33 PM
I'm thinking of getting one just to scare the poo out of the kids on the next campout.

There was a kid wearing one in our neighborhood scaring trick-or-treaters by popping up in semi-shadowy parts of his yard. Very entertaining.

OregonDave
11-07-2010, 10:01 PM
What, you don't think a ghillie suit is a fashionable ensemble?

Huh...
OD

TwinBlade
11-07-2010, 10:38 PM

:dblthumb::dblthumb:

Dink
11-07-2010, 10:47 PM
Around here folks would just go thier merry way and think nothing of it.

Maybe either a hunter whose traansportation forgot to pick him up, somone who got kicked out of a vehicle miles back and was simply trying to get home...OR could have been someone in the military just trying to keep in shape because he might be in active reserves or something...I was told some of them "practice" to stay in shape by carrying a full pack and making themselves as uncomfortable as possible. Seems like a Ghillie suit over a pck on a hard surface or gravel road for a long distance would pretty well cover the uncomfortable aspect!

benajah
11-07-2010, 11:07 PM
I live just outside San Francisco...a ghillie suit is nothing compared to some of the stuff you see here.
Want to see a wild, wild sight? They are too many to name...the Castro (the gay neighborhood) on Halloween, Fisherman's Wharf on any normal Saturday, the Tenderloin (bad neighborhood full of really strange people)..
Or check out Telegraph Ave in Berkeley across the bay...that is where all the upper middle class suburban kids from the midwest go and totally slum it during the summer acting homeless and begging.
I moved out here from the deep south (GA). This place is weird.

Joben
11-07-2010, 11:20 PM
What, you don't think a ghillie suit is a fashionable ensemble?

Huh...
OD

Well there have been FAR more ridiculous things spotted on Paris runways...

TwinBlade
11-07-2010, 11:26 PM
I live just outside San Francisco...This place is weird.

No argument out of me.

benajah
11-08-2010, 12:52 AM
:dblthumb:
No argument out of me.

hog
11-08-2010, 01:37 AM
Are you sure it was human?

justin_baker
11-08-2010, 02:22 AM
Probably just a weird guy doing weird things. He doesn't care what people think and decided what the hell, today I'm going to wear a ghille suit!

I live just outside San Francisco...a ghillie suit is nothing compared to some of the stuff you see here.
Want to see a wild, wild sight? They are too many to name...the Castro (the gay neighborhood) on Halloween, Fisherman's Wharf on any normal Saturday, the Tenderloin (bad neighborhood full of really strange people)..
Or check out Telegraph Ave in Berkeley across the bay...that is where all the upper middle class suburban kids from the midwest go and totally slum it during the summer acting homeless and begging.
I moved out here from the deep south (GA). This place is weird.

Lol, I have lived in this area my whole life..... so it's not so weird to me. A lot of things here are so different. I can't even comprehend prejudice towards homosexuals because well......around here it's fashionable to be gay. The bay area and the north bay is just so much different than the rest of the country.

bside1
11-08-2010, 02:34 AM
I spent countless hours making one in high school. Trust me. After all that hard work, you will do anything to show it off!

benajah
11-08-2010, 09:48 AM
Probably just a weird guy doing weird things. He doesn't care what people think and decided what the hell, today I'm going to wear a ghille suit!

Lol, I have lived in this area my whole life..... so it's not so weird to me. A lot of things here are so different. I can't even comprehend prejudice towards homosexuals because well......around here it's fashionable to be gay. The bay area and the north bay is just so much different than the rest of the country.

I like it here actually, but it truly is like its own little world.