PDA

View Full Version : Year alone scenario

ozhaggishead
05-30-2009, 07:37 AM
Okay here is the scenario.....You have by some twist of fate are to be left by yourself in a remote woodland wilderness for one year.Away for all human contact no T.V radio or phone no i-pods.Okay you have small hut for shelter a good axe and knife and firesteel.There is some tins of food a small well for water and a hunting rifle.You have all the essential kit you want.You more than good chance of surviving one year alone.But before you go away for the year alone you are told you can take just one luxury item.What nonessential thing would you take with you and why??????

Pywacket
05-30-2009, 07:46 AM
A very thick, thick, thick novel to read. :)

Trekon86
05-30-2009, 08:06 AM
A+.
Either that or the Library of Health:D:
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g126/trekon86/00001-2.jpg

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g126/trekon86/00003-1.jpg

Or maybe my stack of folders of Outdoorsy goodness...
PMZ

Eagle
05-30-2009, 08:18 AM
http://tbn1.google.com/images?q=tbn:pmit_6dhDxOi5M:http://www.helicopters4hire.co.uk/media/bell47helicopter.jpg

:D In kit form w/portable landing pad. something to do on those long winter nights.

GreyOne
05-30-2009, 08:24 AM
I think a Bible. It is the one book I know that would not be exhausted by a mere years worth of reading.

Trekon86
05-30-2009, 08:25 AM
G1, good point.
Proverbs itself could supply a month and a half's daily meditation...
PMZ

Trekon86
05-30-2009, 08:28 AM
Or a year's supply of Guinness:D
That or some pipe baccy...or some yeast and spices to make some winter Mead to keep you warm;)
PMZ

Whitejaw
05-30-2009, 01:04 PM
Without a doubt my Bible, and I would have said that long before I was called to preach.

rik_uk3
05-30-2009, 01:10 PM
Or a year's supply of Guinness:D
That or some pipe baccy...or some yeast and spices to make some winter Mead to keep you warm;)
PMZ

An instructor on a survival course I completed years ago told us that dandruff contained a lot of yeast and you could make a brew using it; not tried it myself though;)

My luxury item without doubt would be a wind up radio. Very, very few of us could go a year without hearing a human voice, modern man ain't made of the same stuff the old timers were (and lots of them went a little ga ga, went down with 'cabin fever' etc)

Grits
05-30-2009, 02:19 PM
The tough part is no human contact. Isolation will make a normal human go crazy. Question becomes how to fabricate it.

Any book that replicates the world (i.e. Shakespeare) ends up being closed. Then reality of the alone-ness returns.

The Bible would be inspirational, but all those stories of people interacting might also set up the comparison with current situation. Might have to read it selectively.

I think I'd choose a guitar. I'd name her "Lisa." Then I could play music with the strands of her hair and gently caress the curves of her body ... through her, I could evoke the entire range of human emotions....

Gosh, I already feel half-loony just thinking about it!

1stcavmp77
05-30-2009, 04:04 PM
either a kindle e-book with as many books as could fit on it or a solar powered tv and dvd player with all the season of 24, smallville, and all my favorite movies for all the long nights.

Trekon86
05-30-2009, 04:32 PM
Rik, very true what you say about cabin fever and not hearing voices.
Heck I went for a week for two Spring Semesters at college, alone in our flat and I nearly went nuts...I ended up talking to myself (something I try not to do when others are around but seems to help w/loneliness. It also helps me to concentrate on the task at hand;)
PMZ

ozhaggishead
05-30-2009, 05:42 PM
My luxury item without doubt would be a wind up radio. Very, very few of us could go a year without hearing a human voice, modern man ain't made of the same stuff the old timers were (and lots of them went a little ga ga, went down with 'cabin fever' etc)

Sorry no radios or t.v's!!!!!I am counting that as human contact.I was cleaning out the cabin today and found a dusty old king James bible;)So if you picked a bible you can chose something else.

ozhaggishead
05-30-2009, 05:49 PM
either a kindle e-book with as many books as could fit on it or a solar powered tv and dvd player with all the season of 24, smallville, and all my favorite movies for all the long nights.

Think that you have completely missed the point here:confused:

Trekon86
05-30-2009, 05:56 PM
I agree guys, we need to avoid discussion of electronics (with the exception perhaps of flashlights and batteries). But even those are (would be) an emergency item...batts don't last forever esp. not in incandescents.
PMZ

JustAim
05-30-2009, 06:14 PM
Well, You didnt say anything about a pet, so l'd bring my dog with me. As long as l got my buddy with me l'd be good for longer then a year.

GreyOne
05-30-2009, 06:17 PM
Non essential luxury item- non electronic, and Bible already provided for ?
I guess a harmonica would be good. Can't play music but if alone, I can listen to my own noise. :)

Sgt. Mac
05-30-2009, 06:33 PM
I'm going with a Dog too. Great companionship some one to talk to instead of finding a volley ball and naming it Wilson. ( Well you could name the dog that too if ya wanted lol)

Keyser SŲze
05-30-2009, 08:32 PM
some very very very good binoculars

Priam1
05-30-2009, 08:38 PM
I'd go with coffee...and as for why, I think that it speaks for itself.

buroak
05-30-2009, 09:31 PM
I have to go along with GrayOne and whitejaw, if a Bible was not provided, I’d have to have mine.

Mountain Ron
05-31-2009, 12:30 AM
My luxury item would be my Astak kit. It consists of the reader, outboard memory and a solar charger. The memory holds around 5,000 books and the Astak reads pdf, djvu, txt, just about everything. I have one outboard drive that has around 13,000 books and pamphlets saved to it, but it requires a seperate energy source and wont run off the Astak. The whole shebang weighs around 2 pounds.

ozhaggishead
05-31-2009, 05:42 AM

I have been thinking about this today and it's really is bugging me:confused:So you going to spend a year alone out in the wilds.So the one thing you want to take with you.... television and DVD.:eek:.I sure some of you guys feel like me that this is a very very sad answers:(

Sgt. Mac
05-31-2009, 08:59 AM
Ive actual have thought of this scenerio before, the idea appeals to me. I suppose it's easy for me to sit here and think how nice it would be to be alone out in the beautiful woods for a year. I think how great it would be to be somewhat forced to work on and improve skills, away from all the hustle and bustle of modern gadgets and PEOPLE. I do quite a bit of solo camping, scouting etc and I always come back feeing more relaxed. But I assume that after a long period of time it could get taxing and I would miss my modern things and even maybe people or I would go craazier then I already am and go comletly "Bush" and stay there lol. I'm still opting for a good robust dog like a German Shepherd as my other unnecesary item

Mac

IdahoBackwoods
05-31-2009, 09:22 AM
... I assume that after a long period of time it could get taxing and I would miss my modern things and even maybe people or I would go craazier then I already am and go comletly "Bush" and stay there lol. I'm still opting for a good robust dog like a German Shepherd as my other unnecesary item...

Did you mean go "Bush" as in "W" or as in "bush fever"? :D (That's just a joke -- ignore it.)

The dog would be a great companion, but you'd have to feed him/her. And the dog would have to be trained to be quiet around wild animals except when you told it to attack.

Sgt. Mac
05-31-2009, 10:07 AM
Bush as in Bush fever Buddy lol. Good pioint on the dog he'd have to be trained and as far as feeding him there is a lot of talk in the pet industry of using a raw meet diet for dogs, so if you're gonna hunt or trap, just give him some too.

IdahoBackwoods
05-31-2009, 11:38 AM
I was assuming the dog would be fed wild meat. My point was just that the dog might nearly double your meat needs.

If the dog was especially smart and a trained hunter, he might be worth it. On the other hand, if the situation was really, really tough and the dog wasn't paying his own way, you might end up eating the dog. It's happened....

smokechoker19
05-31-2009, 11:48 AM
Without a doubt the BIBLE, therin you can find peace, contentment, and solutions to lifes problems and kill a lot of time reading and never get tired of it. It may be nice to have a year to study the bible and you will much better person at the end of 1 year, i would bet.

bill

1stcavmp77
05-31-2009, 02:19 PM
Think that you have completely missed the point here:confused:

well since i can't have e-books i'd need a couple of really large trunks full of books. and i like movies so much i'd really feel like i was missing something if i couldn't watch them at night. i'd go crazy with out somekind of background noise or something to occupy my mind when i'm too tired or don't feel like doing something else. on the other hand i'd probably come out with more skills than i went in with.

GreyOne
05-31-2009, 02:54 PM
A good book is much more entertaining than most movies, and much easier to accommodate to your time needs. <g>.

Being alone is indeed a difficult experience- I have only ever gone 2 weeks alone, and that was a winter deer hunt where a blizzard snowed me in the second week, here in North Texas. Could have walked out easily, but the snow and mud had me blocked from getting the vehicle out, so stayed 4 extra days until the trail was driveable.
The first three or four days were not bad, then it started getting to me. The only sound to be heard at times was the wind. Bird song and coyote howls became rather special. <g>.
Doing that for a month or more would require a good bit of purpose- some reason why I needed to be there alone.

Eagle
05-31-2009, 07:56 PM
Sorry no radios or t.v's!!!!!I am counting that as human contact.I was cleaning out the cabin today and found a dusty old king James bible;)So if you picked a bible you can chose something else.

your rule change forces me to come up with a new pick;any helicopter worth it's salt would have a radio aboard.hummmmmmmmm???????:)

rik_uk3
05-31-2009, 08:16 PM
Rik, very true what you say about cabin fever and not hearing voices.
Heck I went for a week for two Spring Semesters at college, alone in our flat and I nearly went nuts...I ended up talking to myself (something I try not to do when others are around but seems to help w/loneliness. It also helps me to concentrate on the task at hand;)
PMZ

I meant what I said, its not that we are 'softer' than the guys 100 years ago, but modern society has pre- programmed us in a way. All of us here are bombarded with sensory input all out waking life, TV's, radio, computers, internet, road noise, street lights, home lighting, telephone, cellphone, automobiles, even the ping on a microwave oven.

Take that away from modern man and you strip him to the core, his brain would panic, play tricks. There are changes in behaviour with medium to long stay hospital patients, they are removed from their comfort zones, same with criminals in prison. Look up sensory deprivation on google, its spooky stuff. Take one hundred members from here and drop them in the bush for a year with a panic button for backup and I doubt your would see more than one or two buttons not used before the year ended.

Thats why I would want a radio;)

Grits
05-31-2009, 11:55 PM
its not that we are 'softer' than the guys 100 years ago, but modern society has pre- programmed us in a way.

Thats why I would want a radio;)

I thoroughly understand this point of needing to hear both "customary" sounds and human voices.

One winter I was caretaking a wilderness base camp in the NC Mountains. We got a foot and a half of snow, and the power was out for 5 days. Being waaayyy back in the sticks, I couldn't get out the 3-mile dirt road. The only time I could hear any radio signals on my battery-powered radio was after dark, when the AM signals would bounce off the ionosphere. I couldn't wait to listen to KDKA in Pittsburg or WBBM in Chicago or KMOX in Saint Louis. Tom Snyder never sounded so good! (BTW, the atmospheric signal "bounce" was so good, I actually picked up KOA out of Denver one of those nights!!)

Anyway, that is why the volleyball became "Wilson." Humans are social animals, even if some want a lot less than others.

A Bible would go a long way of creating that need for "communion." As would books where you "hear" and "see" the voices and actions of others.

Yet, I would still go with a guitar. With it, I could keep all the voices in my head entertained.:D

1stcavmp77
06-01-2009, 01:34 AM
i take it back i don't want the e-book thing or the solar powered tv and dvd's. just give me one electronic goodie and it would be satelite radio. good music has kept me going when even a good book was not enough. and i love to read. between the radio and some good books i would be happy and entertained for at least a year.

layton13069
06-01-2009, 11:39 AM
I would take my book "Camping and Wilderness Survival" by Paul Tawrell as it is loaded with information from making a survival kit, to finding wild edibles and setting traps. Thanks to my good old Dad sending it my way, I would never bug out without it..

Eagle
06-01-2009, 01:55 PM
YouTube - Large 24 Inch Fireworks Shell (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aip619LJMDo)

Fireworks of all types and kind; have never failed to cheer me up .:D

rik_uk3
06-01-2009, 07:25 PM
I thoroughly understand this point of needing to hear both "customary" sounds and human voices.

One winter I was caretaking a wilderness base camp in the NC Mountains. We got a foot and a half of snow, and the power was out for 5 days. Being waaayyy back in the sticks, I couldn't get out the 3-mile dirt road. The only time I could hear any radio signals on my battery-powered radio was after dark, when the AM signals would bounce off the ionosphere. I couldn't wait to listen to KDKA in Pittsburg or WBBM in Chicago or KMOX in Saint Louis. Tom Snyder never sounded so good! (BTW, the atmospheric signal "bounce" was so good, I actually picked up KOA out of Denver one of those nights!!)

Anyway, that is why the volleyball became "Wilson." Humans are social animals, even if some want a lot less than others.

A Bible would go a long way of creating that need for "communion." As would books where you "hear" and "see" the voices and actions of others.

Yet, I would still go with a guitar. With it, I could keep all the voices in my head entertained.:D

A Bible would be good even if you don't follow the Christian faith, a copy of the Torah would be as welcome to some (most of the Old Testament is in fact part of the Torah) as would the Koran. Thats a choice of faith. I would perhaps go with a copy of a collection of classical philosophy, but then again and depending on my mood a good collection of Leonard Cyril Deighton's work would be good.

I still want my radio though:)

Trekon86
06-01-2009, 10:11 PM
Rik if you must have your radio, make it a SW receiver at the very least.
That way you can pick up the signals better in your far-off location:)
PMZ

Rook
06-01-2009, 10:37 PM
A picture of my wife and kids. And If I can't have that then I guess I'd have to go with eagle and order a 24" mortar. That always brings a giggle at take off!!

IdahoBackwoods
06-01-2009, 10:40 PM
I must be very odd. Many of the comments here have simply mystified me. I've always felt there's PLENTY to listen to out in the woods -- animals especially, and the wind, and running water, and so on. And to me those things have a deeper meaning than the din of civilization.

Yes, I've listened to SW radio occasionally in the mountains. I remember one time lying in a tent in the rain, listening to Nanci Griffith singing "Wish It Would Rain," and then to the news on the BBC of the Queen's Birthday. I remember too being on a long wilderness backpacking trip with my wife, when it took three days for us to stop hearing voices in the sound of tumbling streams.

It's just that the sounds of civilization are not what's most REAL to me. Nature, and the surprising things I encounter there, are far more real. They put everything into perspective, and as far as I'm concerned, make the concerns of modern "civilized" life seem petty.

Just the opinion of a backwoods eccentric....

Trekon86
06-01-2009, 10:47 PM
I agree IBW, I feel more at home in the woods than "at home" or "at college" or especially in the city...I hate cities. I'm so sick of cities.
Can you tell?;)
PMZ

Iz
06-01-2009, 10:55 PM
The guy I mentioned earlier in the thread on shelters (he spent a year alone living totally primitive) said that the loneliness was the most surprising part of the whole experience. He thought he didn't like people until he was in the bush for several months. He'd been there something like seven or eight months (don't know for sure how long) when he came across a hiker one day. He said he had on a breech clout and had a full beard and he went running up to the hiker with his arms open ready to hug him. The hiker nearly ran away.:D
It's interesting how much you can dislike human contact at times and how much you crave it at other times.
Later,
Iz

ozhaggishead
06-02-2009, 01:13 AM
your rule change forces me to come up with a new pick;any helicopter worth it's salt would have a radio aboard.hummmmmmmmm???????:)

Mmmmmmmmm...... Okay you can have a helicopter,but it just has ten minutes of fuel:D

bmatt
06-02-2009, 01:19 AM
I must be very odd. Many of the comments here have simply mystified me. I've always felt there's PLENTY to listen to out in the woods -- animals especially, and the wind, and running water, and so on. And to me those things have a deeper meaning than the din of civilization.

Yes, I've listened to SW radio occasionally in the mountains. I remember one time lying in a tent in the rain, listening to Nanci Griffith singing "Wish It Would Rain," and then to the news on the BBC of the Queen's Birthday. I remember too being on a long wilderness backpacking trip with my wife, when it took three days for us to stop hearing voices in the sound of tumbling streams.

It's just that the sounds of civilization are not what's most REAL to me. Nature, and the surprising things I encounter there, are far more real. They put everything into perspective, and as far as I'm concerned, make the concerns of modern "civilized" life seem petty.

Just the opinion of a backwoods eccentric....

Well said, Idaho. I'm not sure if I would want/need to bring anything else after the necessities, but a radio etc. would definitely be on the bottom of my list as well.

rik_uk3
06-02-2009, 05:25 AM
Rik if you must have your radio, make it a SW receiver at the very least.
That way you can pick up the signals better in your far-off location:)
PMZ

Obviously, I would need to listen to the BBC world service:D

Eagle
06-02-2009, 08:33 AM
Did u know Richard ?----"BBC To End Shortwave Service to N. America
The LA Times reports that the BBC World Service plans to discontinue itís broadcasts oriented towards N. America, in order to cut costs. Alternately, the BBC plans to rely on its Internet feed and on public stations that carry the World Service to reach the North American audience.

Iím a big fan of the BBC World Service, and am sad to see them leave the North American shortwave band, but I do have to admit that I rarely listen on shortwave. Primarily I listen late at night on my local public radio station, which carries the BBC from 11pm to 5am."

I was sad to see it go.:mad:

rik_uk3
06-02-2009, 08:56 AM
Did u know Richard ?----"BBC To End Shortwave Service to N. America
The LA Times reports that the BBC World Service plans to discontinue it’s broadcasts oriented towards N. America, in order to cut costs. Alternately, the BBC plans to rely on its Internet feed and on public stations that carry the World Service to reach the North American audience.

I’m a big fan of the BBC World Service, and am sad to see them leave the North American shortwave band, but I do have to admit that I rarely listen on shortwave. Primarily I listen late at night on my local public radio station, which carries the BBC from 11pm to 5am."

I was sad to see it go.:mad:

That is a shame mate, another sign of the times I suppose:( Back in the 60's and being a rather spoilt only child, I was one of the first of my 'gang' to have a small transistor radio. That little radio went with me on camping trips for many years and I would sit out many a storm listening to Radio Luxembourg or Voice Of America and of course the BBC.

IllicitDreams
06-02-2009, 09:14 AM
I'd take my camera, and supply of film to document the experience.

Trekon86
06-02-2009, 09:24 AM
Yes a Camera would prob. be the best idea if you're like me and like to have pics to remember your experiences by...it's funny, years ago I didn't take many pics of my backpacking/hunting trips at all, now I do...you guys have infected me!:D
PMZ

GreyOne
06-02-2009, 05:30 PM
Digital still camera, video camera, and nigh vision camera.....
All, or only one ?

1stcavmp77
06-02-2009, 06:33 PM
with a satelite radio you could probably get the bbc with no problem i would think.

Trekon86
06-02-2009, 10:35 PM
All, or only one ?

LOL how about a good quality digital camera and a 12pk of cheapo 35mm disposable filmies...then it'd just count as one;):D
PMZ

IllicitDreams
06-02-2009, 10:38 PM
All, or only one ?

I could take my Sony DSC F707 which incorporates all of that, but I'd rather take my old Canon AE-1 Program 35mm and accessories, with a extra battery, the 50mm Lens, the 28mm-350mm lens, a tripod and plenty of film...

Digital cameras can be way to finicky when it comes to moisture, and getting banged around. But that's not to say I don't like mine. I have two of the F707's one set up for infrared photography, and one set for standard. Plus I have a Older Sony CD Mavica, which burns images direct to cd... which is nice, although, it can be a bit of a pain as long as the burning takes.

ozhaggishead
06-03-2009, 04:56 AM
with a satelite radio you could probably get the bbc with no problem i would think.

Sorry but no!!!!!!:o

1stcavmp77
06-03-2009, 11:24 AM
now that's a surprize. i would have thought the bbc would have a satelite radio channel on xm or sirius.