PDA

View Full Version : Pet peeve

Old Philosopher
11-14-2010, 01:14 AM
This is the only acceptable forum for my pet peeve.

I wish people would read a thread before posting!

I don't know if it's that they don't read, or don't comprehend, and maybe it's just me being critical...but I don't know how many threads I've read where a person asks a question, someone else answers the question (either through personal experience, or research), and someone two posts later posts a comment that obviously shows they didn't consider the previous postings.

Hypothetical example:

1st Post: "I want to camouflage my rifle, but I don't want to paint it. Any suggestions?"

3rd Post: "Have you thought about camo paint?"

Come on...if you can't keep up with the conversation, don't bog it down with questions!

Sorry....rant over..

snakedoctor
11-14-2010, 01:16 AM
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f159/RaulMonkey/Animated/beating-a-dead-horse.gif

It wont change

Joshuajk
11-14-2010, 01:22 AM
I must agree with you on this. However. I can't complain as i have done this before. A couple times I have caught myself doing this. However, I mostly(not always) scroll up and read what someone has posted.

For me, sometimes i read a thread title Ie: "Need help picking a new gun!"
I see the thread title then jump right in with what my favorite gun is no matter the price or model and then post it. Only to scroll back up to the original post to realize it says "but i only have $400 to spend and i want a .308 long gun"

Sorry! :O

Old Philosopher
11-14-2010, 01:49 AM
It wont change
Probably not. ;)

I must agree with you on this. However. I can't complain as i have done this before. A couple times I have caught myself doing this. However, I mostly(not always) scroll up and read what someone has posted. ...

It happens to all of us, including me. But some folks seem like they're on auto-pilot. They're so anxious to voice their opinions, they don't listen before they speak.

It happens in face-to-face conversations all the time. The average person is not listening to what the other person says, because they are too busy formulating what they are going to say at the next pause.

Forums and chat rooms are like personal conversations.
There are Four Rules for speaking:

Is it true?
Is it necessary?
Does it benefit the whole?
Does it improve upon the silence?

Dross
11-14-2010, 02:10 AM
I always try to read a whole thread before commenting. And I try not to ditto advise without acknowledging the other person. If it's a long thread and can't read it all I probably won't post.
It's like being in a real conversation, you need to ask yourself. Is it true? Is it Necessary? Does it benefit the whole? Does it improve upon the silence? ;) (Sorry coulnd't help myself.)

Old Philosopher
11-14-2010, 02:50 AM
I always try to read a whole thread before commenting. And I try not to ditto advise without acknowledging the other person. If it's a long thread and can't read it all I probably won't post.
It's like being in a real conversation, you need to ask yourself. Is it true? Is it Necessary? Does it benefit the whole? Does it improve upon the silence? ;) (Sorry coulnd't help myself.)

:D :dblthumb:

Jin
11-14-2010, 03:18 AM
Ya know what I can't stand, is when people don't read the thread before they post!!! rofl, sorry bud, had to.

GreyOne
11-14-2010, 03:32 AM
Now, y'all trying to put the mods out of work here, or what ? ;)

People often do read, but only partly comprehend tha question. We have all done that. Then we answer what we thought we read, and that is often the source of misunderstanding, which gives rise to either heated argument or topic drift or both, thus giving moderators job security. ;)

vermillion8604
11-14-2010, 03:55 AM
lol as i totally agree with grey one, i don't think i have ever done something like that before(the asking the worthless question without reading the whole post) i love this forum so much that i read and reread posts just to make sure i understand them and that i fully know the intentions of the post. I think a big part of that though is because i take adderall to help my focusing issues, but even when i don't take it still read and reread because i know myself better than anyone does and i know i sometimes skim over or misread things every now and then. I know i'm young, being at the kiddy age of 24, and i do understand and well know that i don't know half as much as our greater elders on here, which is why i take in as much advice and teachings as our elders can give me. But if I know something and I am 100% sure of it, I will speak my mind, otherwise I keep my mouth(or fingers) shut and listen to the ones who really know what they are talking about. If I don't know something or if I am not sure of what I am posting, I wont post it :)

Bush Otter
11-14-2010, 04:59 AM
If you pet a peeve it will follow you around . If some one misses a point in a post who are we to sic a peeve on them , IMHO it is usually just an enthusastic error of over looking the finer points of a post . I will try to not be peeved or petted.

dwightp
11-14-2010, 08:05 AM
My pet peeve is when people respond to threads without reading the previous posts.....man, that just drives me nuts!

(hey, I'm joking!!!!)

Rubarb
11-14-2010, 10:49 AM
I just ignore it and dont worry about things i have no control over, works for me.

Just saying.

tennecedar
11-14-2010, 11:47 AM
OK here's my pet peeve....
My own typing /posting speed. Seems like every few days I post to a thread and by the time I hit submit, someone that actually knows how to type has said basically the same thing. I really feel like a horses rear end. When I look at the post times they were like a minute before me.

man I wish I paid better attention in school

Old Philosopher
11-14-2010, 11:51 AM
OK here's my pet peeve....
My own typing /posting speed. Seems like every few days I post to a thread and by the time I hit submit, someone that actually knows how to type has said basically the same thing. I really feel like a horses rear end. When I look at the post times they were like a minute before me.

man I wish I paid better attention in school
Oh, man! I don't know how many times that's happened to me! I type 40 wpm, but I type TOO MUCH! Hahaha!
Tennecedar, when that happens to me, I go Edit>Delete and put "duplicate" in the reason box. :dblthumb:

Marvellous9
11-14-2010, 03:32 PM
I've probably been guilty of it a few times--one reason (excuse?) is that when a thread is getting into double digits of pages, it takes a lot of time to load and read each individual post on each page. And the library here limits your time on their computer to one hour.

(Did I mention I don't have internet access at home?)

The internet cafe is comfy and all, but they expect you to buy a drink at least and start looking at you all narrow-eyed if you don't. And that gets expensive over time.

:1: ...Sorry, should i have done.

donk
11-14-2010, 03:48 PM
I've posted this before, so I'll quote myself. God gave us two ears and one mouth. Probably the right ratio there. I try to listen (read posts) at least twice as much as I speak (post replys). I think some of us are just watching the reply count and can't wait for the next milestone.

Old Philosopher
11-14-2010, 07:37 PM
I've probably been guilty of it a few times--one reason (excuse?) is that when a thread is getting into double digits of pages, it takes a lot of time to load and read each individual post on each page. And the library here limits your time on their computer to one hour.....
I can sympathize with that completely! I have my thread view here set to 40 posts per page, and there are still threads that are 4 pages long!
I cheat... If I feel compelled to post without reading all replies, I've been known to start out, "I agree with all the previous posts that share this opinion....blah, blah..." Hahaha! That's one way to cover my tail! ;)

I've noticed, though, that someone will reply to a post, often actually quoting it in their post, and say something that leaves the reader wondering if they even read the post they're quoting.

Oh, well... I'm over my tantrum. Sorry, gang! :p

Kendo
11-14-2010, 08:03 PM
On this site it seems to happen a lot less then other places on the web. I may not be the most knowledge on a lot of the postings here, but I try my best to help. Even if it means read everything. lol

tjwilhelm
11-14-2010, 08:07 PM
Maybe someone should suggest that people read a thread before they make a post in that thread...

JUST KIDDING, OLD PHILOSOPHER!!!!! :p:p:p

Old Philosopher
11-14-2010, 08:14 PM
Maybe someone should suggest that people read a thread before they make a post in that thread...

JUST KIDDING, OLD PHILOSOPHER!!!!! :p:p:p

Zig
11-14-2010, 08:20 PM
As the late great Mark Twain said, "If we were meant to talk more than listen, we would have two mouths and one ear."

I've got to sympathize with what Marvellous9 said as well. Sometimes it's just too much to read in a reasonable amount of time. Thanks OP for trying to better our community, even if things might not change. It may have seemed like a rant to you, but it didn't come off like one to me.

Totally legitimate suggestion. :dblthumb:

HammerNAnvil
11-14-2010, 08:31 PM
It seems we're a bunch of sponges here. Either wet and ready to squeeze it out or dry and ready to absorb.

I think HOP's point is not only valid but a two sided coin. Not only do we pet out peeves but on the flip side we are quick to comment on things we love.

You are right though Philosopher. Sometimes we comment on what we "think" was written.

kgd
11-14-2010, 08:32 PM
You guys are such altruists! I really come here to read interesting stuff, take good nuggets of advice and jump into a 'stream of consciousness' that I'm momentarily interested in.

There are two things I learned in the collection of well over 10,000 posts across the forums I frequent. First is you can start a thread, but you don't own it. The conversation goes where it goes and if you don't like it than tough titty. The board is about discussion and poster or thread originator or not, the members take the discussion where they want to go. Nothing wrong with that. If it goes off a track that you don't like then start another thread. Don't spend endless amounts of time trying to steer a thread or moderate it (unless of course you are a moderator) because of the content. Most times when the OP goes into meltdown its because the thread goes off a direction they don't want. They don't realize that ownership of the content became forfeited as soon as they hit the 'submit' button.

Second rule is - some folks will just piss you off and that will happen no matter what. You can either blow up or ignore it. Its usually better to ignore it. If you really need to respond, then it is better to attack the logic of the post then the poster. Most common reason for discussions getting amped up and out of hand is the 'you' syndrome. Attack the argument and leave the ad hominen strategies outside.

Finally, sometimes you gotta just let go of the ego. If you practice the above thats not so hard to do. Everyone of us can be wrong sometimes. So what, thats not so bad. Best thing to do is just admit a flaw in your logic. You don't have to go off and apologize to the masses, just admit you were wrong on a certain point or argument. Why do people find that so difficult to do? Personally, I learn more from my mistakes than I do by positive reinforcement. I think making mistakes is part of my growth. Owning up to them is part of being responsible. Participating in discussions entails risks - gosh you just might be wrong in your point of view. Learn from it rather than dig in the trenches.

After that, what was OP's pet peeve again???? :D :D :D

Old Philosopher
11-14-2010, 08:48 PM

After that, what was OP's pet peeve again???? :D :D :D

....Long winded posts. :D:D:D
Actually, I've seen thread starters go ballistic over topic drift, and apparent hijacking (not here). That's a whole different situation.
What I was talking about was reading comprehension, or not reading at all.

"I took my lil' red jeep up the river for an afternoon out in the woods..."

"Hey, Bro! I've got a jeep, too! What color is yours?"

Arrrrggggghhhhhhh! :)

Zig
11-14-2010, 08:57 PM
....Long winded posts. :D:D:D
Actually, I've seen thread starters go ballistic over topic drift, and apparent hijacking (not here). That's a whole different situation.
What I was talking about was reading comprehension, or not reading at all.

"I took my lil' red jeep up the river for an afternoon out in the woods..."

"Hey, Bro! I've got a jeep, too! What color is yours?"

Arrrrggggghhhhhhh! :)

My car's a Honda. It's green.
:18::3:

I do get a bit ticked off by hijacking/drift, but I never go ballistic over it. It's not like there is anything that can be done. Better to go with the flow.

kgd
11-14-2010, 09:19 PM
Its a good point OP. One thing that helps is when people use proper grammer and punctuation. The worst thing on earth is 32 lines of block text with no commas, periods or paragraphs. On the otherside of the coin, I find the simple editors used in forums hard to proof read and edit. They are fine with a few sentences, but anything longer and it is just not the most conducive interface for really re-reading what you just typed ad proofing it. That said, somebody who takes the time to clearly and concisely write their material on a forum is a joy to read!

Old Philosopher
11-14-2010, 09:28 PM
I've been known to compose a post off-line, then cut and paste. How's THAT for anal? ;)

im gld my kids dnt post here. idk- I think textng has distryd our language. :(

vermillion8604
11-14-2010, 11:11 PM
texting will be the downfall of socializing amongst people.

Old Philosopher
11-14-2010, 11:44 PM
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f159/RaulMonkey/Animated/beating-a-dead-horse.gif

It wont change
You're right, Snake!
This thread has been running all day. So I decided to see what was going on with the rest of the Board.

Very first thread I read, a guy had carved something out of wood from his backyard...which he named.

In only the 10th reply, a guy asked him if it was some other kind of wood.

I think I'll take a Valium and go to bed. :p

tennecedar
11-15-2010, 12:04 AM
You're right, Snake!
This thread has been running all day. So I decided to see what was going on with the rest of the Board.

Very first thread I read, a guy had carved something out of wood from his backyard...which he named.

In only the 10th reply, a guy asked him if it was some other kind of wood.

I think I'll take a Valium and go to bed. :p

I read that too. It won't change.

Old Philosopher
11-15-2010, 11:05 AM
Its a good point OP. One thing that helps is when people use proper grammer and punctuation. The worst thing on earth is 32 lines of block text with no commas, periods or paragraphs. On the otherside of the coin, I find the simple editors used in forums hard to proof read and edit. They are fine with a few sentences, but anything longer and it is just not the most conducive interface for really re-reading what you just typed ad proofing it. That said, somebody who takes the time to clearly and concisely write their material on a forum is a joy to read!
That's a fact. Duplication and outright misunderstandings often occur because someone failed to get their point across. I've tried to teach all my kids that how you come across on paper makes a lot of difference. I tell them it doesn't matter how brilliant you are, if you can't communicate effectively it kind of goes to waste.
Written communication doesn't get the emphasis it used to in school. Most of the younger generations wouldn't know a dangling preposition if it had them by the ankle! But all that aside, it's a sad truth that people are judged by how well spoken they are. How many talented people shoot themselves in the foot with a poorly written resume? Business letters, full of grammatical errors and misspellings are usually dismissed out of hand.
I felt sad for a young girl in town who posted an ad for her babysitting services. The ad was 24 words long, and there were 12 misspelled words in it. She was probably wonderful with kids, but she came across as mentally challenged.

Jon Foster
11-16-2010, 09:32 AM
This is the only acceptable forum for my pet peeve.

I wish people would read a thread before posting!

I don't know if it's that they don't read, or don't comprehend, and maybe it's just me being critical...but I don't know how many threads I've read where a person asks a question, someone else answers the question (either through personal experience, or research), and someone two posts later posts a comment that obviously shows they didn't consider the previous postings.

Hypothetical example:

1st Post: "I want to camouflage my rifle, but I don't want to paint it. Any suggestions?"

3rd Post: "Have you thought about camo paint?"

Come on...if you can't keep up with the conversation, don't bog it down with questions!

Sorry....rant over..

I've ran newsgroups, BBS's, websites and forums since the early 1980's. It's always happened and always will. Some people will do it just because they want to and others by accident. And in really long threads or discussions most people won't take the time to read every response. I do that to save time. Like in this thread, I haven't read any responses after the first page. :27:

Jon.

Old Philosopher
11-16-2010, 10:48 AM
I've ran newsgroups, BBS's, websites and forums since the early 1980's. It's always happened and always will. Some people will do it just because they want to and others by accident. And in really long threads or discussions most people won't take the time to read every response. I do that to save time. Like in this thread, I haven't read any responses after the first page. :27:

Jon.
Oh, I know... I ran a BBS from 1986-1991. In a thread like this, it's usually a non-issue, because we're just sharing opinions, and responding to the OP.
I come to a forum to read, and maybe exchange thoughts. My feeling is that, if a person has taken the time and effort to put their thought down in writing, I owe them the courtesy of taking the time to read those thoughts. But that's just me.

Rubarb
11-16-2010, 10:51 AM
must admit, and as per some of the other people who have replied to his thread, i tend to skip or word hop massive replies, sometimes to my detrement, punctuation, paragraphs and sentence composition are the key to making a big post "readable".

Old Philosopher
11-16-2010, 11:00 AM
must admit, and as per some of the other people who have replied to his thread, i tend to skip or word hop massive replies, sometimes to my detrement, punctuation, paragraphs and sentence composition are the key to making a big post "readable".
Absolutely. I found a post yesterday that I read 3 times, and still couldn't decipher. ;) Sad part was, it was almost 12 lines long.

Jon Foster
11-17-2010, 11:08 PM
I hope it wasn't one of my posts!

Jon.