PDA

View Full Version : Razors

Ripmyfly
06-04-2009, 06:55 PM
Anyone use straight razors? Does it hurt to learn? Why are so many over 100 bucks? Can a person find a decent low cost one?

GreyOne
06-04-2009, 07:07 PM
Antique stores have some used ones fairly cheap. Used a straight a few times years ago. Very easy to cut your self- mostly small nicks. Keep styptic pencil handy. A lot of the straight razors were made in sets, often with exotic material in handles, but a plain one with black plastic handles could be had pretty cheap up into the early 70's.
Trying to keep one sharp required a strop and some skill, and time was needed to clean and oil them. Not the thing for our modern day attitudes.
Get a boar bristle brush and cake of shaving soap, in a shaving mug, if you want the full experience. <g>.

Faol
06-04-2009, 07:39 PM
Antique stores have some used ones fairly cheap. Used a straight a few times years ago. Very easy to cut your self- mostly small nicks. Keep styptic pencil handy. A lot of the straight razors were made in sets, often with exotic material in handles, but a plain one with black plastic handles could be had pretty cheap up into the early 70's.
Trying to keep one sharp required a strop and some skill, and time was needed to clean and oil them. Not the thing for our modern day attitudes.
Get a boar bristle brush and cake of shaving soap, in a shaving mug, if you want the full experience. <g>.

I have a badger brush that I still use, with my mug of soap. I haven't used shaving cream in years. You can get the soap at most any grocery store, at least you can here.

I have never used a straight razor either, but have wondered about using one without cutting an artery.

GreyOne
06-04-2009, 07:56 PM
Never use when tired, hung over, or excited <g>.

1stcavmp77
06-04-2009, 08:44 PM
seems to me that getting and learning to sharpen and use one would be well worth the time and money it would require. beats the heck outta spending $10 for a pack of 4 blades every month. i don't see how it could cost so much to buy blades that don't last more than a few days. almost enough to make me wanna give up shaving altogether.

Eagle
06-04-2009, 09:00 PM
Rip, here is a stainless one I got the other day(as u can see it don't take a lode of $ to get started with cut throats)
http://www.simplysoldshop.com/ebay/xl1027/lg_090908_017.jpg

Eagle
06-04-2009, 09:12 PM
and take G1s advice! I prefer a badger brush myself....and Ivory soap in a coffee cup works just fine.

ArmoredSheepdog
06-04-2009, 09:12 PM
Not a straight razor user myself, for the reasons you stated. I have been using my Merkur heavy duty for 2 years now and love the thing. $.50 blades that last about a month each with heavy use beats the hell out of the friggin multi-blade razors. Shave cream I use is Geo F Trumper brand (Rose, they come in different colors/scents I think). This $25 tub has lasted me over 20 months and is only about 3/5th used up.
http://www.highlandmenscare.com/geo-f-trumper-rose-shaving-cream.html

my badger brush I think cost $10 from Amazon.com, I just build the lather right onto my face instead of using a cup, wastes less that way. It really doesnt take more than a dime sized dab of the cream.

Jason
06-04-2009, 09:25 PM
I use only a Vulfix super badger brush with Truefitt and Hill shaving cream. I also got a straight razor but it took too much time for my taste but I just can't give up the brush/cream combo. I did try the solid bar soap that you melt in the mug but the cream is 10 times better IMHO. I get everything from classicshaving.com

You should be able to get a brand new decent razor for around $50, a used on much less but I would send it out to a proper sharpening service first. I never did invest in the stones you need to truly get it sharp enough like the double sided norton. You will get some cuts yes but that's the price of admission my friend. :D

Trekon86
06-04-2009, 10:14 PM
Yes I have a couple and have used them for weeks on end. Yes it hurts a little (esp. if they get dull and you don't take the time to hone em) and yes it's easy to cut yourself, but it's a fun thing to learn. I just use regular shaving cream or gel but I will prob. get a badger brush and some cakes soon.

ASD--That Merkur sounds really cool...will have to check that out. Thanks:)
PMZ

irrationalsolutions
06-04-2009, 10:50 PM
i use one. i started a few months back. i didnt cut myself the forst time but the second i did. thats when i realized that you just have to take your time. and make sure its sharp! i let mine go and it hurts. but i fixed that fast.

to get mine i hunted around and looked for deals. i ended up with to razors one carbon and one satinless a strop and badger brush for under $40, but they came from different places.

Faol
06-04-2009, 11:29 PM
i use one. i started a few months back. i didnt cut myself the forst time but the second i did. thats when i realized that you just have to take your time. and make sure its sharp! i let mine go and it hurts. but i fixed that fast.

to get mine i hunted around and looked for deals. i ended up with to razors one carbon and one satinless a strop and badger brush for under $40, but they came from different places.

Do you have links for the razors?

Thanks.

irrationalsolutions
06-04-2009, 11:39 PM
i can dig up the link for the stainless one i think. the one i like the best is the carbon one. and its the one i didnt think would work at all. i bought it off ebay. thats where i would look first. the handles are really anything but they do work. the blade is good though.

Trekon86
06-05-2009, 11:06 AM
Faol,
I agree w/ IS, go with Ebay. I got both of mine on there (ancient German carbon steel one and a cheapo SS Pakistani piece) on there. Def. check Ebay.
PMZ

Mountain Ron
06-05-2009, 09:00 PM
I use an old Gillette safety razor with double sided blades. One blade will last me months because I figured a good way to sharpen them. I use a new glass microscope slide and some 4 micron diamond paste left over from when I did a thin section mineralogy job. The diamond paste polished the thin sections so they could look at them under a polarizing scope and see what was what. I put just a little dab on the slide and work the blade back and fourth, kind of like sharpening on a hone. I usually get about 6 months from a decent blade.

GreyOne
06-05-2009, 09:12 PM
I use an old Gillette safety razor with double sided blades. One blade will last me months because I figured a good way to sharpen them. I use a new glass microscope slide and some 4 micron diamond paste left over from when I did a thin section mineralogy job. The diamond paste polished the thin sections so they could look at them under a polarizing scope and see what was what. I put just a little dab on the slide and work the blade back and fourth, kind of like sharpening on a hone. I usually get about 6 months from a decent blade.

I have a GEM brand stone made for sharpening safety razors- has a curved surface, you lay the blade on and move it back and forth, the curve is just right to apply the polishing effort to the edges. Works well. Grandad had it in his shaving kit. He also told me that in WW I they sharpened blades inside a glass tumbler or a ceramic coffee mug, same technique. Was very little wasted back then, and razor blades were not a simple disposable item for those of the working class.

smokechoker19
06-05-2009, 09:26 PM
My father was a barber he died in 1969 and i got several of his stright razors his razor hones, arkansas hard and soft stones and his razor strop. his shaving mug he had at the shop and a qunanity of barber soap that fits the bottom of the shaving mug. Once in a while I get it out and strop the razor and soap up with the boars brush and if you want to get perfict shave get a small towel and put it in extreamly hot water then wring it out and drape over the soap you put on your face earlier ans let set on their for 2-3 min while the steam from towel penatrates your beard the take it off and re lather then shave
you never ever will have such a close and comfortable shave. There was a guy that lived 15 miles from dads shop would come down every saturday night after not shaving all week and get a barber shave for sunday. He always said (Charley get out the hoe and mow them down). Dad loved straight razors but you have to use them regulary to get good with them. Smokey mt. knife works have several some built into pocket knives that will work but not good. There real razors for the most part are good.\

LOL Bill

1stcavmp77
06-06-2009, 02:43 PM
i would love to go to a barber shop and get a shave. trouble is i don't know if there are any in my area that do that. anybody tried the hot lather dispenser's they sell nowadays?

180deg Out
06-06-2009, 08:37 PM
Interesting post. I bought my first shaving brush while in boot camp as we had to display them in our footlockers. I still have it and have used it almost daily since 1971. Bought 4 straight razors from what was then called "Smoky Mountain Knife Works." Paid $5.00 each for them in 1980. Gave away a couple and still use the other two. It's probably redundant but the old time barbers kept a towel on their shoulder for a very good reason. Always keep one hand dry to stretch your skin while you shave. Cuts down on knick and cuts. When straight razors say "gotcha", they say it in a deep, resounding voice.

smokechoker19
06-06-2009, 10:25 PM
Oh i forgot one thing as stevec038 said "when they get yea they get you deep.) That is wright for the most part. when you get got always have a STEPTIC pencil or STEPTIC POWDER ready, when you cut youself you wet the pencil and stick it in and rub on the cut and it will quit bleeding. For that matter a steptic pencil is a good tool to have if you shave with any blade the chance that you may nick youself is prety good. The steptic pencil is a great thing to carry in your FIRST AID KIT it will stop bleeding in most cases for any kind of cut. If your as KLUTZEE as me i am always cutting myself or skinning a finger or something. Also beware when appling the steptic pencil it will burn but grin and bear it when its burning its doing good and the bleeding will stop almost at that instant on superfical wounds. You can get a steptic pencil at most drug stores and of couse china-mart in the shaving section.

LOL
Bill

Eagle
06-07-2009, 08:03 AM
My razor doesn't say "gotcha" too often,but when it is close to my ears I swear it keeps whispering :"Gonnagitya,Gonnagitya,Gonnagitya". :D

ArmoredSheepdog
06-07-2009, 08:27 AM
I use only a Vulfix super badger brush with Truefitt and Hill shaving cream. I also got a straight razor but it took too much time for my taste but I just can't give up the brush/cream combo. I did try the solid bar soap that you melt in the mug but the cream is 10 times better IMHO. I get everything from classicshaving.com

You should be able to get a brand new decent razor for around $50, a used on much less but I would send it out to a proper sharpening service first. I never did invest in the stones you need to truly get it sharp enough like the double sided norton. You will get some cuts yes but that's the price of admission my friend. :D

Fess up Koa! What you really do is turn on a copy of Crocodile Dundee while you shave with the RTAK II :D

Sgt. Mac
06-07-2009, 09:34 AM
I have used them before, I had my Grandads which was passed on to me. the one thing I found out about them is that you have to take your time, and keep them very sharp. In todays hustle and bustle world too many dont take, or have the time to go through the whle process of using and up keeping a straight razor. Its the same for most of everything these days guys from mircowaved dinners to disposable lighters. One other note: When taking to my Barber the other day he told me that 1) They dont even teach the use of a straight razor in Barber school any more 2) Barbers who still have the skill are hestitant to use them for fear of knicking some one with the AIDS virus and fear of law suits. Just a shame that another older skill goes by the wayside

Mac

Wook
01-17-2010, 05:58 PM
I considered switching to a straight razor and after some consideration instead switched to a traditional chrome safety razor. The upkeep issue is what put me off a straight razor. The traditional safety razor is still highly regarded, providing a shave that is close to if not equal to the straight razor. It is far superior to modern razors, although you do need to be more careful.

The cartridge razor was invented not because there was anything wrong with the safety razor, but because it is hard to make money selling the blades. By the time Gillette stopped making the safety razor in the 70's there were over 300 competing manufacturers of the generic and therefore unpatentable blades.

However, the patented, copyrighted and relentlessly marketed razors such as the modern Mach 3 have profit margins in the region 1500% per blade. You can see why they prefer them :rolleyes:

My razor:
http://i594.photobucket.com/albums/tt26/AbrasiveScotsman/DSCF5066.jpg

Ripmyfly
01-17-2010, 07:51 PM
That is a sweet razor Wook.

stillman
01-17-2010, 07:55 PM
I have my grandfather's old straight razor. I also have a beard. So I just look at the razor every now and then and smile because I don't have to put that sharp thing against my neck. (The little bit of trimming I do is with an electric, about once a week.)

tsacain
01-17-2010, 08:13 PM
I will eventually try getting a straight razor. My electric just does not do the job and the disposable razors get really expensive. There is an older Korean man who uses a straight razor to do your edges. The cut looks amazing for a few days but then grows back in the edges. But no other hair cut place around here does that.

Cracker
01-17-2010, 09:48 PM
There was an old filipino on base when I was on active duty that would razor cut hair, one of the best haircuts I have had. When I was younger (19) I tried shaving twice and cut myself twice. Figured shipboard underway with 30 guys tring to get in/out of a small head was not the safest place to have a straight razor. I have been beating it around for a couple years now tring again.

Kerflop
01-18-2010, 12:52 PM
I use classic safety razors, but it is a process. When I first started using them I was use to just throwing canned goo on my face and going to town. The quicker the better... Now I take my time shaving. I have a few different brands of soaps and creames, as well as razors and blades. Check out this site if you want to buy some supplies. John, the owner, is a great guy and with every order he gives you samples of some of his products (which means I end up buying more)...

http://www.shavingessentials.biz/

rattlesnake_wrangler
01-18-2010, 03:12 PM
I considered switching to a straight razor and after some consideration instead switched to a traditional chrome safety razor. The upkeep issue is what put me off a straight razor. The traditional safety razor is still highly regarded, providing a shave that is close to if not equal to the straight razor. It is far superior to modern razors, although you do need to be more careful.

The cartridge razor was invented not because there was anything wrong with the safety razor, but because it is hard to make money selling the blades. By the time Gillette stopped making the safety razor in the 70's there were over 300 competing manufacturers of the generic and therefore unpatentable blades.

However, the patented, copyrighted and relentlessly marketed razors such as the modern Mach 3 have profit margins in the region 1500% per blade. You can see why they prefer them :rolleyes:

My razor:
http://i594.photobucket.com/albums/tt26/AbrasiveScotsman/DSCF5066.jpgHay just like the one i use

illiteratti
05-05-2010, 02:50 AM
Been using a Feather straight razor for the last 7 years or so. Blades are replaceable, wicked sharp, and need no stropping. Great razor, and they have blades with "training wheels". Even the training blades cut and nick your face if you don't use a feather light touch.

If anyone is interested in Feather razors, traditional straight razors, safety razors, and all accessories, check out classicshaving.com. I have been doing buisness with them for years, they are great people to deal with!

jus_like_that
05-05-2010, 06:25 AM
I've used one for about 3 years now i think, love it. i got my Dovo off ebay with a strop and brush for about $60, I must have saved three times that on razor blades easily. I'd deffinately get hold of a brush though, it makes a big difference and ALWAYS use hot water to soften your beard. The only time i've ever cut myself, is when i'm shaving without a mirror in the workshop or out in the woods. really easy to get used to, and once you practice, its about as quick as a safety razor.

Good luck!

Dano
05-05-2010, 08:21 AM
I've always thought they were cool, and still do. My brother has one and I tried it several years ago....once. I'd have been better off just going into town and donating at the bloodmobile! The only "tip" he offered was, "just remember, there are arteries on BOTH sides of your neck!" I can still hear him laughing........

I almost bought one off ebay once, but...some memories last a lifetime!!!!!!!!!!!

Lil Red
05-05-2010, 08:40 AM
I use one every time I shave...that's why I have a beard! Lol

Easy_rider75
05-05-2010, 10:34 AM
I used to shave but never tried a straight razor before I had asked my girlfriend if she would wanna shave me someday but she likes my beard lol. But anyways when I was shaving my Grandfather used to use the Schick injector razor as an old timer friend of mine did used to do an excellent job for me I always thought it was kinda cool seeing an old straight edge being used in the old movies and such but doubt I would have the trust to let just anyone shave me ya know? One thing I flat outHATE is dime store disposable razors can't stand them for the one fact they are a rip off and don't lsat worth a fiddlers fart lol. Plus the cut the hell out of my face anyway the main reason I stopped shaving plus the fact I like my beard and I am just plain lazy lol.

MoxemDeliph
05-05-2010, 11:37 AM
Im out on this one...I use a Braun 3 series electric shaver. I have a draw to straight razors, but just a regular safety razor screws my face up. I cant imagine a damn straight razor in my hands after a cold can of coke. The term "weed whacker" comes to mind.

On the other hand, those razors are so hard and hold such a wirey thin edge and have such fine lines that they are almost art peices! Maybe I'll get a fine shave this weekend if the local barber (an actual barber) does them worth a damn.

This one has been a good read guys.

Buckskin
05-05-2010, 11:41 AM
I have tried this with two blade throwaway blades and it works. I have some denim stapled to a paint stick and it gets miles out of them. I have been using the same razor for a month now. Normally I would have tossed it in about 2 days.

YouTube - Sharpening Disposable Razor (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3Kxiom83Js)

Lil Red
05-05-2010, 11:46 AM
Im out on this one...I use a Braun 3 series electric shaver. I have a draw to straight razors, but just a regular safety razor screws my face up. I cant imagine a damn straight razor in my hands after a cold can of coke. The term "weed whacker" comes to mind.

Actually, the straight blade is the way to go if you want to AVOID razor burn. Apparently, the multi-bladed counterparts cause the whiskers to stick between them and they pull hair out (ouch!) or on blade will come along and lift the hair a little and the follow-up will cut it too close and create the perfect storm for ingrown hairs.

Eddie
05-05-2010, 01:20 PM
I just started using a straight razor. Just the thought of putting a knife that sharp to my own throat was very daunting...But I got over it. One thing you will notice right away is the after shave...:eek: I felt like the kid on home alone.

wsdstan
05-05-2010, 06:56 PM
I would also suggest that you go with a double edged safety razor. I use one with a good quality brush, shaving oil, and soap. The oil lubricates and cuts down on nicks. There are good used double edge razors on Ebay and in the antique stores. Get a good quality straight razor after you see how you like the double edge. As you know the new straight razors are expensive but good used ones can be had for around $40 to $60. Learn how to sharpen it. If you can get your barber show you how to use it you will be way ahead. I just could not get the hang of it and stayed with double edge blades after using up a good styptic pencil. Double edge blades and good used razors are less expensive and the shave is close. You can get then at Ebay, antique stores, and flea markets. I paid about $15 for an adjustable Gillette razor at a local antique store. I use good quality blades purchased in bulk on Ebay, they last about a week shaving once a day. The oil I make from olive oil, an essential oil like sandalwood or lavender, and a little glycerin. There are a lot of formulas on the net. Using an oil really makes the shave smoother and eliminates the need for aftershave. :D

Gaston
05-05-2010, 08:31 PM
Try watching the Goodwill online auctions, I got my current straight razor there:

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/

That said, I'm much happier with a double edge safety razor. You have to buy good blades that suit your face and beard, though, and pricier doesn't necessarily mean better. I found some Bluebird blades that I like even better than the Merkurs.

Also, you might enjoy the Badger & Blade forum:

http://badgerandblade.com/

Eric_Methven
05-06-2010, 07:39 AM
I bought one of these (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Straight-Cut-Throat-Razor-wooden-handle-hand-made-Round-/110528885583?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Collectables_Barber_Shop_Collectables_LE&hash=item19bc08f34f) and can highly recommend it. Good piece of kit and a very good price.

Eric

mcblade
08-13-2014, 02:38 AM
Find you a good barber supply house, they should have everything you nedd. You will definetely lear how to strop a razor to keep it sharp My dad was a barber for over fifty years and he could make that razor talk to but be careful until you learn and get comfotabl using it. Now thet have really fine custom maade razors I think one blade forums or knife dogs they are works of art.

paul2014
08-13-2014, 04:19 AM
it's time for me to buy a new razor to let my face have a deep breath. lol

turtlepwr281
08-13-2014, 07:26 AM
Go to www.whippeddog.com if you'd like to buy a straight Razor. Larry is a great guy to deal with: he takes old razors, hones them up and sells them at great prices. I bought my straight for $38 "sight-unseen". I think now they're up to $40 or $41. Check him out, wholly recommended, far better than ebay.

seagullplayer
08-13-2014, 09:18 AM
Here is a handy place for info, sorry if someone already posted it:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/forum.php

I use a two sided safety razor, they are very cheap to run. Blades are pennies and last me two weeks or more. They would last most folks a month.

I saw one in Wally World the other day in the "seen on TV" section. Looks like one of the pawn shop reality guys are hocking them. Mine looks just like the one they are selling.

My wife can use a straight razor, its her line of work, but its not for me.

D Stroy
08-13-2014, 10:52 AM
Anyone use straight razors? Does it hurt to learn? Why are so many over 100 bucks? Can a person find a decent low cost one?

I have been using one exclusively for about 3 yrs now. Going to an antique shop is your best bet. I have bought 3 very good ones for about $15 each. They usually have rust on them but as long as you have a dremel or wheel that is easy. Just make sure the edge is good. As long as you keep it nice and sharp I've never had an issue with getting cut, and small nicks were never worse than a modern 3-blade if your careful. After the first 5 times or so it stops happening all together. The other big part of it is learning the weird direction(s) your beard grows in.

JAFO_Jeeper
08-13-2014, 11:27 AM
seems to me that getting and learning to sharpen and use one would be well worth the time and money it would require. beats the heck outta spending $10 for a pack of 4 blades every month. i don't see how it could cost so much to buy blades that don't last more than a few days. almost enough to make me wanna give up shaving altogether.

Dollarshaveclub.com

I spend $4/month on blades, and I always have a sharp one.

Not getting anything out of that site, just a VERY happy customer.

mab0852
08-13-2014, 11:28 AM
+1 for Whipped Dog and for quality badger brushes. Larry is right down the road from me and good folk. I wouldn't buy a flea market used razor unless I had the knowledge to evaluate its true condition. My dad has gotten stuck a couple times with hidden pitting that ruined the blade. I've been using one for over 20 years and I'd point someone just expressing interest to a real, old school barber shop and have it done right, that way the hook is firmly set and you know what right feels like. Then I'd suggest beginning with a shavette (replaceable blade) to get your feet wet and make sure you have the desire to continue. If the desire is still there, move on to a Whipped Dog starter so you can learn to use and care for a real razor that doesn't cost a fortune but performs like one. If you love it and enjoy it, hang on to your wallet, because like all sharp things discussed here, its incredibly addictive with a lot more accessories options (soaps, stops, mugs/bowls, stones, lotions, potions, etc.) to break your bank account, but that is another forum. The up side is your knifes will never be sharper than when you venture down this rabbit hole.

I don't shave often, but when I do, it's with a straight.

Verkstad
08-13-2014, 12:24 PM
Back when I was young, handsome and women were competing for my attentions (Hard to believe it now...)
Anyway, A leisure weekend morning with my sweetie was her shaving me with the straight razor.
I remember it was a Case Razor, had an unusual notched shape nose.
Tortoise shell handles Probably the same from her grandad.

Very old school, lavender soap, hot towels and everything. Only thing missing was a barber chair...
Speaking of chair, It was a tall back kitchen chair, but during nice weather a morning shave on the back porch, But the same kitchen chair.
I dont remember a soap cup, I think just lathered up directly upon my face.

She really enjoyed the process, Perhaps memory of her childhood & grandfather who she also shaved as he became invalid.
I selfishly more so enjoyed her pampering & erotic experience.
I could manage shaving either way, But normally went the quick & easy Gillette.

Ceedub
08-13-2014, 12:39 PM
Ive been straight shaving for about four years now. Found my razors at second hand stores for less than $25 for each of the two good ones I use. I spent more on one new brush then I did for two used razors. There is a learning curve to get you started and as has been said already, don't try to shave after you have drank a pot of coffee. Actually I shave at night after a beer or two.

h20oni
08-13-2014, 12:50 PM
Speaking of all things shaving, read the book "the art of shaving" it had all kinds of info about how to shave, what to use, where to get it etc... I think it's written and published by the folks who own the Art of Shaving line of products as an assessment, but it sure has some good info!

Swede6.5x55
08-13-2014, 02:13 PM
Speaking of straight razors, i need to get me some stones. I have had and used my razor for almost a year now and i moved, so my sharpening stones were lost in the move. Anyone know a good place to get sharpening stones for razors? I figure i need a 1000 for the coarse and then a 3000+ for the fine and then i already have a strop.

Thanks guys.

abefroman
08-13-2014, 02:31 PM
From my lurking around here the past few months I have seen that many of you appreciate the lost arts of being a grown up man. I feel that also lost is the art of shaving with a piece of steel that you sharpen yourself. I have been using a Dovo straight and two different vintage Gillettes ( a 1953 Super Speed and a 1960's adjustable) for several years and will not go back to the wonder razors of todays world. The process is simple and it works better than it sounds like it would. There are many how to videos and web sites that explain everything a hundred different ways. It doesn't take anymore time than a 6 bladed wonder and the results are better. :dblthumb:Bottom line: DO IT!!!

mab0852
08-13-2014, 02:32 PM
I like the shapton glass stones from chefknivestogo.com. Pick up an atoma plate for dressing them while you are at it. They have all kids of stones and good prices if those aren't your thing.

Swede6.5x55
08-13-2014, 03:43 PM
From my lurking around here the past few months I have seen that many of you appreciate the lost arts of being a grown up man. I feel that also lost is the art of shaving with a piece of steel that you sharpen yourself. I have been using a Dovo straight and two different vintage Gillettes ( a 1953 Super Speed and a 1960's adjustable) for several years and will not go back to the wonder razors of todays world. The process is simple and it works better than it sounds like it would. There are many how to videos and web sites that explain everything a hundred different ways. It doesn't take anymore time than a 6 bladed wonder and the results are better. :dblthumb:Bottom line: DO IT!!!

Well said. When i shave, i soap up my dish and slap on a good lather and shave it off. The feeling of a good shave, that ultra, silky smooth glide is something else. It takes time, and dedication, and a lot of determination to do it, get it right and then enjoy it. It pays off, more or less, it gets shaved off and it is so fun, to me. There is also a larger variety of soaps and items you can use than just the disposable razor and can of shaving cream. Most fragrances are chemical and that sucks.

This is the name of the place where i get my soaps and bath soaps. I think that in this culture, or at least talked about MTV and the social media, would say that floral fragrances and a "man" knowing or liking floral scents is "not manly" but i say otherwise. Flowers smell good, i think we can all agree that when the Spring flowers come through and the fields green with wild flowers is some of the best scents out there...that and gunpowder. A family owned company since 1730 knows what they're doing rather than the machine operated factories and refineries.

http://www.florislondon.com

I think they might have a sale, but it may be over.

DavidJAFO
08-13-2014, 04:03 PM
hello,
I take it your referring to the Open Razor? or Cut Throat? or as we Scots call the 'The Malky Frazer' - Razor (rhyming slang) also been know to be used as a weapon of choice by the Gangsters there are a few still going around with Malky Frazer 'ear to ear' cuts today :46: We have immigrant Turkish barbers in Scotland who set up these chain of shops who give you an open razor shave etc.. old style. Before such we had in Glasgow a traditional barber shop called 'Sweeney Todd's' anyway.. in the old Sweeney Todd's barbers the gent who owned such he used to cut your hair with nothing more than a comb & an open razor & it was one of the best 'neatest' haircuts I've ever had no nicks or other 'truth' :3:
Regards
David

mab0852
08-13-2014, 04:36 PM
I agree Swede. I honestly spend more trying to smell like nothing at all than trying to smell good (from September - February anyway). I don't have much sense of smell and I could care less about social media. I only have one manly reason for trying to smell like anything other than me. To that end, I just grab a couple soaps and ask "Hey honey, which one do you prefer?":D My girl likes me furry so full shaves are reserved for special events, funerals, and interviews. Most of the time I just shape, trim, and maintain. I really love the whole process of wet shaving and it's more of a special treat for me so I would rather spend an hour enjoying it than a minute just getting it done. I strop my razor regularly whether I use it or not just to keep everything in good shape and ready to go.

rscornutt
08-13-2014, 04:47 PM
Shaving with a straight razor will give you the closest shave you will ever get. However, it takes time. It takes time to learn, time to keep the razor up, etc. I use one from time to time, and I love using saving soap, brush, and mug even when shaving with a regular razor.

Ceedub
08-13-2014, 05:11 PM
Shaving with a straight razor will give you the closest shave you will ever get. However, it takes time. It takes time to learn, time to keep the razor up, etc. I use one from time to time, and I love using saving soap, brush, and mug even when shaving with a regular razor.

I do not believe it will give you the closest shave with out doing damage to your skin. For a straight razor to shave closer than a modern multi blade razor you must shave twice if not three times, once with the hair grain, once accessed the hair grain and once against the hair grain. This is fine if you like ingrown hairs. Going once with the grain IMO although is not the closest shave is by far the most comfortable and healthiest.

Swede6.5x55
08-13-2014, 06:04 PM
I do not believe it will give you the closest shave with out doing damage to your skin. For a straight razor to shave closer than a modern multi blade razor you must shave twice if not three times, once with the hair grain, once accessed the hair grain and once against the hair grain. This is fine if you like ingrown hairs. Going once with the grain IMO although is not the closest shave is by far the most comfortable and healthiest.

If you are using a sharp razor then 2 or 3 passes out of personal experience is not a problem at all. Cool the skin and then reapply a warm lather, massaging the skin and then make the second and three passes. This takes time, and for the ultimate shave, which is given by a straight razor is through 2 or 3 passes and collectively 30 minutes. Not something for those who want a quick shave. A sharp straight razor hardly feels as if you are shaving. That's what people don't know. Is how these single blade razors are.

Ceedub
08-13-2014, 06:17 PM
Well then its my face that wont take three passes. Believe me, I know the process and my razors are more than sufficient. But the fact is that you do remove skin every pass so preforming that process every three days for me is not as gentle on my face as one pass every other day. Just an insight into my experiences, not an argument against yours.

Swede6.5x55
08-13-2014, 06:47 PM
Well then its my face that wont take three passes. Believe me, I know the process and my razors are more than sufficient. But the fact is that you do remove skin every pass so preforming that process every three days for me is not as gentle on my face as one pass every other day. Just an insight into my experiences, not an argument against yours.

People are different, you are right. No argument here as well.

CowboyJesus
08-13-2014, 09:17 PM
so, as a user of (gasp) electric razor, i've got questions. is a straight razor usable for grooming around a beard that one is growing, say, to shave just cheeks and neck? and does anyone else see it as a prep type thing, or is it just a throwback type thing? i've been interested, for both reasons, plus, if the wife and i end up in the backcountry somewhere (we plan on heading to the mission field someday) it seems like a logical way to stay groomed, but want advice about such.

OldMan
08-14-2014, 01:17 AM
I prefer a beard but don't always have one. Especially in the summer months a long full face beard and long hair is just too hot. The humidity and seat make it a tangled mess even within minutes of brushing or fine tooth combing. Thus, in the summer months I tend to break down and shave it all off but for a goatee. Heck, i sported a shaved head and goatee a decade before it even started to gain popularity. What can I say, in some parts of the world it deters lice and in my current woods it makes checking for ticks much easier.

Modern multi-blade razors: long fast careless swipes to rid yourself of the facial hair as quickly as possible so you can get back to texting updates to the fantasy football/baseball/basketball site as quickly as possible. Replacement blades are outrageously expensive and the multiple blades are so close together that they clog easily and are hard to unclog/clean. If all you want to do is get it done as fast as possible so you can get back to facebooking, they're fine (if you can afford the cost of constantly replacing the blades). For me I can't. I just can't. I've got a tough coarse beard that allows me one use of a blade head before having to toss it. If I don't toss it after a single use it's nothing but nicks and cuts the next time around.

Double sided single edge razor: This is the type that dad or Grandpa used. I'm referring to the old style Gillete, Parker or Merkur razors. These provide a good clean shave, less skin irritation for most people, and lesser chances/issues of ingrown hairs. The blades have many manufacturers world wide, are cheap, easily available and there are several edge profiles available (example is Feather brand is thin and ninja sharp while Dorco is sharp but more forgiving to a beginner or sensitive skin). For face or head this is my preferred razor type. The brand and model razor can also be chosen for preference to how much blade face is presented to engage the hair and skin. In other words, some models have more of the blade sticking out from the housing for those that prefer such. In general an older Gillete, Merkur, or the new Micro Touch One razor (advertized by Rick from Pawn Stars) are good razors. The first two have been around for decades while the Micro One is new. It's a good razor though, just the right amount of blade face for a beginner and still fine for an expert. I was gifted one of these and it actually shaves rather well and is on par with my Parker multi-piece take down travel razor. All in all, for someone interested in the nostalgia of the old style wet shave, this is a good choice that is less likely to slice your carotid. :4:

Straight Razors: For some it's the ultimate shave and as long as the blade is well taken care of and not used for slashing mobsters or pool sharks, it'll last for a lifetime or three. It takes care in using it. It takes time to use it properly - don't start a straight razor shave if you're in a rush or in a bid off on flea bay for that Star Wars 1983 wookie miniature. Using a straight razor means taking your time to shave, a relaxing masculine event not far dissimilar to feathering sticks, char cloth and flint & steel to start a fire instead of a gallon of fuel and a tossed match.

When buying a straight razor: If it's brand new make sure that it is marked on the box or advertisement as "Shave Ready". This means it is already sharpened and just needs a light stropping before use. if it's not marked as shave ready that means it needs to be sharpened first before use. Buying a used one from eBay or an antique store usually means it's already sharpened but likely will need to be sharpened again before use. If you're relatively new to the this type of shaving, I strongly recommend a shave ready razor as a lot of folks get discouraged trying to learn how to sharpen the blade properly when all they wanted to do was shave like great grandpa did.

With health laws in some locations no longer allowing a razor to be used on more than one customer, there are straight razors with disposable blades. The blade clamps into a holder that still allows a normal straight razor type shave, but once dull (or after a single use depending on health department rules), the blades can be discarded and a new one put in. For the beginning user just learning how to shave with a straight razor this is the type I recommend. It's less expensive, always has a sharp edge, and shape & usage is the same as a regular straight razor.

Shaving cream: if it comes out of an aerosol can stop using it. You're paying a lot of money for a small amount of product and a lot of gas that is the propellant. Just as snow is 90% air and thus requiring a lot of snow to melt into a pot of water for coffee, these cans are mostly propellant gas. They also tend to dry out your skin and do the opposite to your face than what the traditional wet shave intended. Lather heaters to sit on top of the can have been around since the 70's and are a cute gimmick but don't really do anything for your face or your shave.

Shaving soaps in cakes or cream tubes are the greatest. I can just about guarantee that you can get far more shaves from a small round cake of premium shaving soap for two bucks than in 8 or more cans of Barbasol. The soaps and creams tubes can run from a buck for Arko (Turkish unscented shaving sop that's been around for more than a hundred years) to over 60 bucks for the high end products at Neoman Marcus. Applied with a good boar hair brush and water and you'll get a far better shave than anything you can get in an aerosol can. Heck, even if you use the modern multiblade razors you'll get a better shave using real shaving cream or soap than the canned stuff.

so, as a user of (gasp) electric razor, i've got questions. is a straight razor usable for grooming around a beard that one is growing, say, to shave just cheeks and neck? and does anyone else see it as a prep type thing, or is it just a throwback type thing? i've been interested, for both reasons, plus, if the wife and i end up in the backcountry somewhere (we plan on heading to the mission field someday) it seems like a logical way to stay groomed, but want advice about such.

Yep, whether full beard or goatee you can use a double edged or a straight razor to shave the cheeks and neck just fine. Same rules apply for normal wet shaving and the same rules apply as when using an electric trimmer to keep the beard looking nice. In other words keep the strokes careful and even so that both sides of the face & beard look the same.

Swede6.5x55
08-14-2014, 01:21 AM

You can trim with a straight razor, it does take practice. If i could grow a beard i would share my tips, but since i can't grow a beard to shave around i can't.

mab0852
08-14-2014, 08:45 AM
Yes, you can trim your beard with a straight and I regularly do. I find it far more accurate and way faster than trying to find the edge of a safety razor and because of the width, I'm done quicker and with less strokes. If I'm just trimming a little, I don't even bother with lather. I just hit it right after the shower so everything is still soft.

If you are doing any type of wet shave, you should be doing it in/after a shower so your pores are open and your beard is soft. One thing I know to be true and one of the hardest things for beginners is that the quality of the lather equals the quality of the shave. You need to find a soap that you can form a proper lather with your brush, local water, and that is appropriate for your skin. Unless you luck out, that means a lot of buying and trying to get your shave dialed in. Creams are generally easier that milled soaps, but I prefer the latter. Premium badger is considered better than boar in a brush because it retains heat and water better. I have and use combinations of all of these. You just have to put in the time to find what works for you. That's not to say you can't get it done and done well with a $5 brush and $1.50 cake of Van der Hagen, but there are a lot of options out there to explore.

rscornutt
08-14-2014, 05:42 PM

No offense, but if you are having trouble getting a close shave with a straight razor, your razor is not sharp enough. If you think you are doing damage to your skin, I know your razor is not sharp enough.

chipnshatter
08-14-2014, 06:10 PM
Even with a sharp razor you need to strop it prior and after a shave to keep it that way. Try stropping it 60 times before your next shave it makes a world of difference.