PDA

View Full Version : New England single shots and similar.

Delta7
12-01-2010, 06:28 PM
I keep finding single shot shottys for a great price at my local gun shop. I really want a 20ga single for a woodsbumming gun and all around survival gun. ( to me a 20ga seems to be the best choice.) I know a lot more of you guys have experience with them, I just wanted to know how well the hold up. Some of them seem pretty old but in good shape. I just want one that will last a while, in a few years maybe give it to my son. for under $100 can really complain about price.

tennecedar
12-01-2010, 06:35 PM
I have the H&R topper models. .410, 20, 16, 12 and had the 10 ga. These are definately good guns. My grandkids will get mine long after I'm gone.

The 20 is probably my favorite in a single shot. Heavy loads in 16 and 12 can wear a mans shoulder down pretty quick. After a dozen shots I tend to flinch some. The 20 can be shot all day. I've put 100 rounds thru mine in a day (shooting skeet getting ready for dove season) and looked forward to the next days hunt.

Ace
12-01-2010, 06:40 PM
Glad to see I'm not the only one thinking about this type of gun for bumming and foraging. Good thread.

OLD DOG
12-01-2010, 06:43 PM
I'm a big fan. I have a Stevens in .410 and 12g that are old as the hills and a NEF in 12g. Also a Savage OU in .22 mag/20g. Not much to go wrong with them. I think I had to replace a firing pin once.

Trekon86
12-01-2010, 06:46 PM
Dad has an old Stevens or NEF in the back room.
It's pretty reliable though sometimes the rounds will expand and stick in the chamber and you have to pry them out with your fingernail.

That might be due to a faulty ejector, dunno?:confused:
PMZ

A K Church
12-01-2010, 06:47 PM
They hold up pretty well. Ejectors are entertaining-they will pitch that empty WAAAAYYYY out.

They do break the transfer bar now and then, not often, but it happens. They are not that easy to disassemble for repair, but breakopen singles generally are bad that way.

Mine's a 12G. Given the lack of weight, 20G would seem a good balance between useful ballistics and recoil.

Bogman
12-01-2010, 06:55 PM
I have several NEFs & an H&R Tamer, all in 20ga. they are great woods guns. the 20ga. is also easier on my old bones. I have never had any problems with mine & two of them are over 20yrs. old & have been shot lots & lots.

GreyOne
12-01-2010, 07:01 PM
Here is a thread on my H&R single barrel from a bit back. Photo is included a few posts down.

<http://bushcraftusa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1643&highlight=GreyOne+Shotgun >

saxon
12-01-2010, 07:06 PM
I have a New England firearms single shot 12 Ga. in the barn. Great gun. Id use it to hunt practically anything. My son has an old H@R in 20 Ga. He thinks the world of it. I could not say how many rabbits and squirrels he has taken with that little shotgun.
For a woods gun I would go with the 20 Ga.

matt
12-01-2010, 07:39 PM
I really like the NEF/H&R guns. Wish I had bought one of the NEF's when they were still NEF and being made in the town next to me.

sbkittrell
12-01-2010, 07:41 PM
I don't know why, but I love single shot shotguns. I've got two, a Riverside (made by Stevens) that's about 90 years old and a Stevens 16 gauge that was made in the fifties. There's just something about a SS that I really like. They are traditional, inexpensive, reliable, and bring me back to my childhood.

GreyOne
12-01-2010, 08:00 PM
I don't know why, but I love single shot shotguns. I've got two, a Riverside (made by Stevens) that's about 90 years old and a Stevens 16 gauge that was made in the fifties. There's just something about a SS that I really like. They are traditional, inexpensive, reliable, and bring me back to my childhood.

Yeah, that pretty much nails it ! :) :)

scout4
12-01-2010, 08:07 PM
We have a few of the H&R's. Great guns! My son loves his 12 gauge, took his first turkey this season with it. I'm a big fan of the 20ga. My deer gun is H&R slug hunter in 20 gauge, has a rifled bull barrel and seems rugged as a tank! I would recommend these guns to anyone lookin to do what you want, so long as the gun your buying is in good condition. Good luck with your project! scout4<><

mainewoods
12-01-2010, 08:07 PM
Great Guns I Have a single shot 20 ga. by New England firearms:dblthumb:

Hunter
12-01-2010, 08:36 PM
Another vote for them being a great gun

SlayerOfBunnies
12-01-2010, 08:55 PM
I more than got my money's worth from mine but my 12ga finally gave up the ghost. There's a threaded housing on the bottom of the barrel where you screw the forend to the barrel. That bit broke at the weld from the barrel. I've not found anyone that carries replacement barrels and suspect that it would cost as much as just replacing the whole thing.

That said - it's a great weapon. Still not sure how that thing broke, tbh. Very weird.

Istaqa
12-01-2010, 08:56 PM
NEF 20 GA SS is the one gun of many that I would not do without!! I've owned mine for about 15 years, and litterally haven't bought a shotgun since. I see no reason to, I can hit what I aim at and it falls. I'm kind of a one shot guy anyway, that being said it's simple, easy to take care of. I love to carry it and it's fun to shoot!!! My two cents.

GreyOne
12-01-2010, 09:15 PM
I more than got my money's worth from mine but my 12ga finally gave up the ghost. There's a threaded housing on the bottom of the barrel where you screw the forend to the barrel. That bit broke at the weld from the barrel. I've not found anyone that carries replacement barrels and suspect that it would cost as much as just replacing the whole thing.

That said - it's a great weapon. Still not sure how that thing broke, tbh. Very weird.

Check with a gunsmith, it may be possible to reweld that lug, or it may be possible to get a replacement barrel. Both options may run close to replacing the gun, but this gun you _know_, so that might be worthwhile. Can't hurt to ask, then you can decide.

redmech
12-01-2010, 09:25 PM
I also have a NEF 20 gauge. When I purchased it I really wanted a 410 because I had never had one. Then I looked at the price of ammo for the 410 versus the 20, and I bought the 20 gauge. Have really enjoyed it ever since. Just simply really fits in my hunting/camping/shooting/bushcraft hobbies.
GREAT GUNS AND MADE IN USA!!!

GreyOne
12-01-2010, 09:30 PM
The 20 ga. is a much better all around choice than 410. :)

I learned to shoot on a 410 SxS Savage Fox BSE. The light weight and low recoil were ideal, but the small shot charge made for some tough shooting.
410 is really an experts choice, but has a lot to offer in getting kids started. Once they can handle a 20 ga. recoil though, that is the better choice, by far. It will get more game, easier. (And cheaper).

SlayerOfBunnies
12-01-2010, 10:32 PM
Check with a gunsmith, it may be possible to reweld that lug, or it may be possible to get a replacement barrel. Both options may run close to replacing the gun, but this gun you _know_, so that might be worthwhile. Can't hurt to ask, then you can decide.

Good points - I'll do that.

Roper Pro
12-01-2010, 10:49 PM
I am an FFL dealer and have purchase a few of these for my daughters and grand kids and they are keepers!! There is a older gentleman in Wichita Falls that is shooting CMP targets bulleyes at 1000 yards with a 223 Rem; granted he had Lyman peep sights and a longer foregrip on it but other than that its shooting sniper shots with iron sights. Yes, H & R rifles and shotguns are worth buying and stocking up with. My kids and grandkids are using 243 winchester and nailing deer with them. There is a three man team that competes in coyote & bobcat toury's and all of them use H&R 223 Rem using hornandy ammo making amazing shots with Nikon scopes. Yeah, they're worth it.

leaf and lightning
12-02-2010, 01:06 PM
They hold up pretty well. Ejectors are entertaining-they will pitch that empty WAAAAYYYY out.

the first time I shot a gun, it was my dads old break action 20Ga... on top of not telling me to hold it tight to my shoulder before I pulled the trigger(I learned REAL quick though), he also told me to watch the shell carefully when I broke it open again... I think I was eight or nine at the time, so of course I caught that shell right in the eye... man I love my dad sometimes...

but enough tripping down memory lane... break action shotguns are about as simple and reliable as they come... they don't die easy... and 20Ga is sufficient to take any game animal you could come across...

Bushrod
12-02-2010, 04:07 PM
I"ll keep this short. NEF shot guns are great for foraging and knocking around with in the woods. 12gauge is too big and the kick is bad for a lot of shooting. I have a 12 and a 410. 20 gauge should be about perfect. Good Choice.

EdD270
12-02-2010, 08:04 PM
I have 12- and 20-ga H&Rs and Savages. Love them. My 870 is becoming a safe queen except for turkey season.

Mattnu
12-02-2010, 08:13 PM
I have hunted extensively with 20 and 12ga NEF/H&R shotguns for almost 20 years. They are my go to guns. I've also given them as gifts and first guns. They are about as simple as nailing a board over a rat-hole.

My 20ga would jam on reloaded shells. Friend loaded them a little hot and they came out of his auto-gun so the bases were a little big. Empties would stick, but a wood dowel would pop them out. When serious hunting, I only use new shells, no problems.

Dancing Bear
12-04-2010, 01:15 AM
My 20 gauge is an H&R Pardner youth from Walmart.

They have a shorter barrel and length of pull than the normal ones and since it has a short pull I was able to take off the butt plate and screw on a 1" recoil pad to extend the length of pull to fit me wwithout cutting the stock.