PDA

View Full Version : Found this:

Trekon86
06-22-2009, 12:34 PM
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g126/trekon86/Knivesnshat/00003.jpg

The other day and decided to clean it up cause it looked salvageable. It's a "Plumb" brand carpenter's hatchet. It's forged, I think, cause I can't find a cast line on it anywhere. I coated it with Naval Jelly and let it soak last night till most of the rust was gone. Today I sanded it by hand with 80grit belt and then I worked my way up to 600 grit wet/dry. Then I used my puckstone, scythe stone, and some 600 and 1500 grit on the edge. It came out servicable but not hair splitting sharp. I might work on it some more eventually...nice thing about this is the narrowness of the bit is conducive to easy splitting. I lightly knocked it into the stump and it bit deep, easily.

What do you think? I didn't want to clean it up too much and thus risk loing the "cool" or "old" factor...I kinda like the antiquish finish...
Cheers,
PMZ

Giguere
06-22-2009, 01:54 PM
Looks good. If you have a belt sander have you considered giving it a convex bevel? I have a hatchet like this that Is rather old aswell, also made by plumb. Took a rather keen edge with a polished convex bevel.

Trekon86
06-22-2009, 02:06 PM
Well that's sorta what I did with my puckstone and paper.
However it could certainly use a bit more oomph...I don't have a belt sander.
All I have is a grinder (which I will not use on an old forged axe) and a vibrating sander.
PMZ

PWork
06-22-2009, 03:33 PM
Those old Plumbs are awesome.http://fc07.deviantart.com/images3/i/2004/146/9/1/Two_thumbs_up.gif

GreyOne
06-22-2009, 05:22 PM
Great find, they make a real good camp tool, as they can split, chop, and hammer all three. As a kid, we used one to crack walnuts on a brick after toasting in a fire. Worked real well.

MrGatoMan
06-22-2009, 05:51 PM
Looks cool, where did you find it?

Whitejaw
06-22-2009, 06:07 PM
Trek, in this part of the midwest where there were endless miles of woven wire and barbed wire fences, there are dozens of those things around. Plumbs were some of the good ones. Don't worry about putting an ultra sharp edge on it, it's a work horse, not a razor. I have a thumb that still throbs when I think of the time I hit it with one of those driving a steeple (that's farm boy lingo for staple) in a hedge (osage orange) post. It was about 10 degrees F when I did it. When I got inside and my thumb warmed up it really hurt. Nice find! That one looks to be in good shape. Use mine all the time.

bmatt
06-23-2009, 12:50 AM
Nice find, Trek. Make a belt sheath for it and you're set. :)

Rook
06-23-2009, 12:58 AM
Trek, hang onto that one, a handy tool for sure and a great find.

Whitejaw, I honestly believe that's the first time on any forum I've seen osage referred to as hedge! Felt good as I thought I was the only one who called them hedge apple trees. We use to have all kinds of wars with hedge apples as a kid. I've always heard to put the hedge apples around your house to help drive spiders away. Dunno if it's true or not. Sorry Trek not meaning to hijack.

Trekon86
06-23-2009, 12:12 PM
LOL hedge yes that's what my grandpa calls em, he also puts the apples in his garage to keep spiders away.
PMZ

Trekon86
06-23-2009, 12:17 PM
Looks cool, where did you find it?

The church yard sale stuff.
Our church (while not the hugest church around) holds what used to be the largest yard/garage sale on the east coast, every year. The stuff is stored in our barn (well the church's barn now) and in storage sheds till the time comes (4th of July weekend). Stuff is sold for rock-bottom prices (most of it) and each year we make more and more, which all goes to missions. Last year I believe we made 30-40k and it went to missions work, both short-term and to long term missionaries. Sometimes people donate boats, campers, trailers, trucks etc for the sale which def. helps. Fun stuff!
PMZ

Iz
06-23-2009, 12:36 PM
That's awesome , Trek. 30 to 40 k is nothing to sneeze at.
Later,
Iz

Howie
06-23-2009, 01:03 PM
have one just like it. great worker!