PDA

View Full Version : Should KaBar/Becker make a new knife?

petrifiedwood
12-22-2010, 05:54 PM
I've been thinking about this for a while now.

I'd love to see a new Becker knife with steel about 3/16" thick, and overall size somewhere between the BK11 and the BK2. I think that would be a super handy little blade, as long as the grip was still comfortable for large hands, I think they'd be adding a real winner to the lineup.

It seems like their whole line right now is either small neck knives, or big thick heavy choppers, with nothing to fill the gap. A knife with the same grip as the BK2, only 3/16" thick, and an inch shorter blade would bridge the gap nicely, I think.

Dross
12-22-2010, 06:08 PM
I was just thinking today that I would love to get a BK2 if it was just a little smaller. NO REALLY I WAS... REALLY.

snakedoctor
12-22-2010, 06:09 PM
Like yourr though and idea! BUT the only new beckers models I want to see right now are the crewman BK10 and the machax personal thing! I won't those first!

anubis1335
12-22-2010, 06:27 PM
Hmm.. I want a BK2 Folder

kg4ghn
12-22-2010, 06:28 PM
There are some knives in the works that are between the neckers and BK2. They have been nicknamed "Tweeners"

Here is a picture of some possible prototypes:

http://i960.photobucket.com/albums/ae84/moosez45/ETSG/100_1388.jpg

There are some more pictures floating around but I can't find them right now.

snakedoctor
12-22-2010, 06:30 PM
I LOVE the last 2 especially LOVE the last one!

The other two are nice and I like a recurve. WHEN

petrifiedwood
12-22-2010, 06:46 PM
I'm liking the looks of the one with the lighter colored blade, though I'd be happy with the usual 1095 steel. Still, the handles are quite a departure from the usual Becker offerings.

Did I mention I'd like the price to fall between the BK11 and the BK2 as well? :D

Cohutta
12-22-2010, 06:56 PM
They should make a new Becker machete. I need a backup for mine.

kg4ghn
12-22-2010, 06:59 PM
I LOVE the last 2 especially LOVE the last one!

The other two are nice and I like a recurve. WHEN

I'm liking the looks of the one with the lighter colored blade, though I'd be happy with the usual 1095 steel. Still, the handles are quite a departure from the usual Becker offerings.

Did I mention I'd like the price to fall between the BK11 and the BK2 as well? :D

The other pic I can't find has some black handles I believe. Those are just some of Ethan Beckers prototypes he made.

As for when, that seems to be a closely guarded secret, although some time in 2011 seems to be a good guess. They have said that there will be SOMETHING new from Becker in 2011.

snakedoctor
12-22-2010, 07:01 PM
And does this include the machete on the end 'what I'M really REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY wanting right now!

solocanoe
12-22-2010, 07:05 PM
Jeff and Mike have posted posted on the ESEE board that they expect the partnership with Becker to continue with further models in the future...like they did with the Izula. Maybe something like what you want is behind the scenes now????

They mentioned several "other makers", but they like Ethan specifically as they all like each other and hang out and all. SHOT is around the corner....announcements usually come out of there!

petrifiedwood
12-22-2010, 07:10 PM
Well, I'm hoping the price stays more in line with the current Becker offerings. Part of the reason I haven't bought any of the ESEE knives is they are more than double the price of the Beckers for knives in a similar size. They do appear to be some really nice knives, but there are real custom makers who sell for less.

kg4ghn
12-22-2010, 07:21 PM
Well, I'm hoping the price stays more in line with the current Becker offerings. Part of the reason I haven't bought any of the ESEE knives is they are more than double the price of the Beckers for knives in a similar size. They do appear to be some really nice knives, but there are real custom makers who sell for less.

+1

The main reason I got into Beckers recently is the value.

solocanoe
12-22-2010, 07:27 PM
certainly agree, guys! To me, the Izula at $45ish bucks is probably one of the greatest bargain all of "knife-dom" given it's useable size, and unless you lose it, you get a new one from them anytime you can manage to damage it....but the rest of the line is pretty high in price.

maybe you'll get your wish and it will be just totally in house Becker! :)

45jack
12-22-2010, 07:32 PM
Like yourr though and idea! BUT the only new beckers models I want to see right now are the crewman BK10 and the machax personal thing! I won't those first!

Did I ever mention I really like my BK10?

snakedoctor
12-22-2010, 07:34 PM
Nice real nice 45! I shall avenge these pokes some day with a machax or brute! :p

akabu
12-22-2010, 09:15 PM
Ethan brought a few Protos {as the photos show} to a gathering a few years back for us to fondle :] and vote and give input on. So in the coming years you may see them on the market.

Sgt. Mac
12-22-2010, 10:18 PM
When I met and talked to Ethan this past spring, I had asked him if he was gonna bring back the Becker Brute. Sadly he said no

http://i673.photobucket.com/albums/vv97/SgtMac80/BeckerBrute-a.jpg

snakedoctor
12-22-2010, 10:20 PM
When I met and talked to Ethan this past spring, I had asked him if he was gonna bring back the Becker Brute. Sadly he said no

http://i673.photobucket.com/albums/vv97/SgtMac80/BeckerBrute-a.jpg

I asked the same thing did he tell you why? Its an interesting thing! Hell I'd be happy with the machax or the other machete

Sgt. Mac
12-22-2010, 10:23 PM
He said that when he made the Beker Brute it was a very sad time in his life, and he didnt want to remember it anymore

snakedoctor
12-22-2010, 10:26 PM
Oh ok he told you. and that the designer screwed him to. I hate that and that it has to suffer. He told me it wasn't that functional though and didn't like the design either. To bad.