PDA

View Full Version : Is this the surplus or aftermarket?

hootyhoo
12-31-2010, 12:46 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290515814518&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I want to try one of these for a while. I thought the lumbar pads were OD - not black. I have only seen one in real life and thats what it had. The lister says that the Brand is US Military.

Price is great right now and has been sitting there with one bid for days now.

What do you think?

Sgt. Mac
12-31-2010, 12:53 PM
Hard to say man. The knock offs have been doing well in apperances for the GI stuff. I know that the CFP 90 is a big pack. If you do a search on Ebay for CFP 90 they show the black lumbar support. Alot of them are going more for the listing you linked

Howie
12-31-2010, 12:55 PM
Looks just like mine, Ive used them with both black and od lumbar pads. thats a BIG pack, just so ya know...

personally i think there way to heavy even empty, time you fill it up, your humping some weight, they are pretty comfortable, with a mild load in them, and the seperate sleeping bag compartment i like and you can open it up for a huge bag, several years ago i used one to pack an elk out with....

Sweeneyguy
12-31-2010, 12:57 PM
I used to have one of those. It was black as well.

Anyone know why they stopped issuing them? I know the frame was internal.

Panzer
12-31-2010, 12:58 PM
Looks like a real CFP90 to me.

Spork
12-31-2010, 01:00 PM
I have a CFP-90 and the parts are black like the listing.

Mine is now useless because the plastic yoke broke...apparently this was a common problem. At one point in time you could send the pack to Lowe-Alpine to have it replaced and repaired...but this is no longer possible.

Sgt. Mac
12-31-2010, 01:04 PM
I used to have one of those. It was black as well.

Anyone know why they stopped issuing them? I know the frame was internal.

The frame was easily broken Buddy

Sweeneyguy
12-31-2010, 01:06 PM
The frame was easily broken Buddy

Ah! Guess I didn't treat it bad enough.

Thanks Mac!

woodsrunner
12-31-2010, 02:30 PM
all the pics point to it being authentic big skys right, its HUGE!!!

Caveman
12-31-2010, 02:44 PM
Yeah it looks like the US Military issue CFP-90. Thats a good price for the complete pack and the detach Day Pack.

Seeker
12-31-2010, 03:17 PM
looks like the experimental Lowe-Alpine packs we were issued at Fort Drum/10th Mtn Division in the early 90s. they were pieces of crap. the "frame" was 2 internal aluminum stays that could be form fitted to your back. that wasn't enough to support everything, or transfer it to the waist strap. the shoulder yoke, while comfortable (came from one central point, as it should), never stayed where you set it (supposed to adjust for torso length) and always just bottomed out, negating the fit of the aluminum stays. the crappy sleeping bag we were issued went into the bottom zippered compartment, which wasted space (that's' just physics) we needed elsewhere. the detachable pack/toplid was ok, but it's straps were out on the corners, pulling on the weakest point of your shoulders instead of 'hanging' like it should.

when i turned mine back in to the CIF in 1995, the sergeant there told me they (and the sleeping bags) had been a miserable failure and where being returned to their manufacturers.

hootyhoo
12-31-2010, 04:28 PM
Thanks for the useful replies. I have seen one in the flesh before. I need a monster pack for a long trip in February when I will still have bulky stuff and cold temps. If I get it will have to be at the price its at now. I cannot get all m food in the LC1 for a long trip. And its not easy to carry when its got a lot of weight. My other choice is the kelty super tioga which is good for 10 days worth of my winter stuff and food, but I really like the suplus stuff. From the canteens to packs and clothes - there is just something that appeals to me about the look and feel of that type gear.

Niflreika
12-31-2010, 06:00 PM
What about a MOLLE II ruck?

The Gen IV frames don't have the problems the early ones did. They are also quite enormous.

hootyhoo
01-01-2011, 06:52 PM

The Gen IV frames don't have the problems the early ones did. They are also quite enormous.
That is a good suggestion. I will have to do some searches on those and see what I can find in my limited price range. Thanks BK

Seeker
01-01-2011, 10:28 PM

really? i work with a lot of Soldiers, daily, and the Molle frame still has a bad rep with them. however, Polk is not on the top end of the priority list for new Molle gear. so you're saying the frames are a lot more durable now? like Alice frame durable? or just 'better'?

rimfire63
01-02-2011, 10:19 AM
Thanks for the useful replies. I have seen one in the flesh before. I need a monster pack for a long trip in February when I will still have bulky stuff and cold temps. If I get it will have to be at the price its at now. I cannot get all m food in the LC1 for a long trip. And its not easy to carry when its got a lot of weight. My other choice is the kelty super tioga which is good for 10 days worth of my winter stuff and food, but I really like the suplus stuff. From the canteens to packs and clothes - there is just something that appeals to me about the look and feel of that type gear.

I have an older Super Tioga and that thing is an 18 wheeler with shoulder straps. It can haul more than I want to carry. Great choice if you like a external frame pack. Just my $.02 worth. RZ

MtnManJoe
01-02-2011, 11:36 AM

I have used the MOLLE II ruck .. It is Huge -
I tend towards kind of a minimalist approach, and the MOLLE II is Much bigger than anything I need, or want to carry .. heh!

03GPScottyd
01-02-2011, 11:50 AM
I have two and love them. The military's problem was they wanted 250 lbs of gear stuffed in the ruck and then strapped to a 150 lb soldier. Only thing the soldiers wanted to do was drop the ruck as soon as possible. I don't know anyone on here that would want that much stuff on their back all day but there may be a few, should hold up great for normal camping activities.

hootyhoo
01-05-2011, 07:36 PM
I got outbid on it. By one dollar. Argggggh!