PDA

View Full Version : Another passion

Whitejaw
07-02-2009, 07:52 PM
I've been wanting to put this up for a while, but just finally figured out how to do it. These are from a hunt last winter with a new Beeman R9. It's got a 4-12X40 scope on it and does very nicely for no more than it's been shot. This day I was using Ben-Sher Cylindricals. It's a .20 cal. I love to squirrel hunt, and I think this little combo will work very nicely. With the next Great Depression upon us, I bet it'll get alot of work. Anybody else an airgun hunter? Thanks for looking, WJ

Ripmyfly
07-02-2009, 08:27 PM
Some fine looking tree rats right there! I havent made the switch to a high quality airgun yet.

Leif
07-02-2009, 08:41 PM
Nice bounty! I use the 22 on them though.

You will be eating them right?

GreyOne
07-02-2009, 08:50 PM
About 30 years ago I bought an RWS Model 45 in 177 cal. Great rifle
for practice, and has killed a few rabbits and frogs. It was one of the first aprrox. 1000 fps. air rifles of the time, as I recall, at least affordable ones. Still going strong.

IA Woodsman
07-02-2009, 09:00 PM
Nice, I really like the improvised "squirrel stringer".

Trekon86
07-02-2009, 09:19 PM
Nice rifle!:)
I've been looking at airguns for a while...decided my cruddy little gamo co2 gun wasn't feasible nor economical...when I bought it the clerk talked me out of what I wanted. My mother supported him, and I spent the moolah on a piece of garbage that leaks compressed air even though he "guaranteed" me it wouldn't leak:mad:
So I went and splurged on one of these:
http://www.airgundepot.com/rosman-airguns-1377c-american-classic-air-pistol-remanufactured.html

Refurb means it cost me less than $50:D
So I will have to see how it performs...my reasoning for buying this is that air costs nothing whereas Co2 is rather expensive...and the single-shot capacity means more careful aiming:)
Do any of you guys have any input on this?
PMZ

buroak
07-02-2009, 09:35 PM
That's great, whitejaw. I have never used an air gun to hunt squirrels.

Jason
07-02-2009, 10:02 PM
How far out is that good for?

Old Pa
07-03-2009, 09:19 AM
I cut my hunting teeth while in the single digits using an old Daisy spring pump BB gun to clear out the local rodents. Had to be within a couple yards of the rodents head to gurantee penetration with a BB. And then came the pellet guns. My best shot with a Crossman pump up .22 air pistol thirty-five years ago was one shot to a rabbits neck at 35 yards. At college, I cleared up mice in my dorm room by setting a cracker vertically below the radiators valve and then shooting the mice in the dark by drawing down from the valve when I heard the crunching of the cracker. :D

Modern spring piston and pre-charged air guns are much better than this. These are full sized, heavy, and beautifully crafted arms.

My RWS 48 .177 fifteen years ago cleared up a number of birdfeeder-ravaging winter squirrels and filled the pot with some tasty stew at the same time. SWMBO, an Animal Channel afficianado, refused to partake. :(

Most recently, a refurbished RWS 460 on .22 with a Leupold ultralight 3-9X40 extended focussing range scope joined the battery when the Model 48 failed to stop some marauding red squirrels which had established housekeeping in my attic crawlspace. The .22 at 25 yards was consistently good for through-shoot knockdowns.

YMMV, but a pre-charged .20/5mm Beeman in good repair with a full charge should reach out effectively to past 40 yards for squirrel/rabbit sized game.

Boonie
07-03-2009, 12:26 PM
I've had good luck clearing out barn pigeons with a Benjamin 392 in .22 cal. Air rifles are something I've enjoyed shooting for years. I hope to save up for a break barrel with a gas spring someday, but with as many logs as I have in the fire now it'll be awhile.

PWork
07-03-2009, 01:48 PM
Can't legally hunt with them here in PA.:mad:

I'm trying to save up for a Benji 392...It's the gun I lusted for as a kid.:D

Whitejaw
07-03-2009, 06:54 PM
Yes Skog, we'll be eating them. I'm not a sport hunter. I find no "sport" in killing animals. I shoot or trap animals for their meat, hide, or both. My family eats alot of deer, squirrrels, cottontails, and other assorted game. We also raise a hog or two a year and buy very little meat. Our kids ate so much deer growing up, most of them don't like beef as it doesn't have any flavor to them.

Koa, I'm not sure of that rifles extreme effective range. I have a self imposed max range of 50 yards, 35 yard max offhand shooting. It kills cleanly at those ranges. I always go for a head shot on small game. Not only are body shots, with a rifle, pistol or airgun, unethical in my opinion, they waste meat. On big game that is a different story, a heart/lung shot I find to be most effective IMHO.

Sgt. Mac
07-03-2009, 10:29 PM
Nice job Bro. Those look tasty

Trekon86
07-05-2009, 11:58 AM
Haha now we discover SGT. Mac's other favorite food...squirrels:D
PMZ

DavidEnoch
07-05-2009, 01:19 PM
The R-9 is a nice springer. Airguns are my main hobby. An airgun is a good bushcraft food provider. You might want to check out www.yellowforum.com for a great airgun forum and check out the blog at www.pyramidair.com for a very good blog.

David Enoch

GreyOne
07-05-2009, 01:44 PM
Nice rifle!:)
I've been looking at airguns for a while...decided my cruddy little gamo co2 gun wasn't feasible nor economical...when I bought it the clerk talked me out of what I wanted. My mother supported him, and I spent the moolah on a piece of garbage that leaks compressed air even though he "guaranteed" me it wouldn't leak:mad:
So I went and splurged on one of these:
http://www.airgundepot.com/rosman-airguns-1377c-american-classic-air-pistol-remanufactured.html

Refurb means it cost me less than $50:D
So I will have to see how it performs...my reasoning for buying this is that air costs nothing whereas Co2 is rather expensive...and the single-shot capacity means more careful aiming:)
Do any of you guys have any input on this?
PMZ

Trek, for any serious use, I consider CO2 pretty much out.
The Sheridan/ Benjamin pump up types are reliable and have enough power for squirrel, small birds, frogs, etc.
As I got older, and a mite better able to afford them, I found the single stroke spring piston guns were easier to use afield, and the side lever piston rifles are the cats meow. I still use the old RWS 45, a single stroke breakover spring piston rifle of intermediate cost. It would be nice to have a 22 caliber rather than 177 for hunting, but the 177 works if you respect its limits.

A couple of years ago I bought a Beeman P17 air pistol in 177, just for a practice gun. It is a single stroke piston gun, but has so little power it will not shoot accurately beyond about 15-20 feet. Rather dissapointing. :(

The good thing about an air gun is that it provides a quiet discrete means of killing small game, as well as being a cheap platform for practice and for instruction of beginners in the art of shooting. 5000 pellets will cost about 50-60 dollars, and the storage life is indefinite <g>!
Not a bad way to carry on shooting when surrounded by hoplophobic morons.

Trekon86
07-05-2009, 02:01 PM
Yup, that's what I was thinking too.
So now I'm eagerly awaiting the UPS man, should be here on Tuesday:)
PMZ
PS--I just bought three tins of crosman pellets, now how the h*** do you get em open? I just can't do it! Shouldn't be this hard...:eek:

PMZ

Old Pa
07-05-2009, 03:16 PM
PS--I just bought three tins of crosman pellets, now how the h*** do you get em open? I just can't do it! Shouldn't be this hard...:eek:

Heeheeheeheehee :D Them screw lids can get froze, can't they? I stuck mine in a vise and then used a strap wrench on the top.

BTW, Umarex, an RWS importer, usually has refurbished air rifles and/or scope packages for a fraction of MSRP. Figure out what you want before you call. My Model 460 in .22 is refurbished, unblemished, and knocks them dead.

Umarex USA, Inc.
6007 South 29th Street
Fort Smith, Arkansas 72908
Phone: 479-646-4210
Fax: 479-646-4206
Ask For Glen or Ryan

Whitejaw
07-05-2009, 03:30 PM
Yes G1, the air rifles are a discreet way to hunt. I have literally thousands of acres to squirrel hunt on, but some of the best areas are near homes built by people from town who own 3 acres and think they control 3000. With the Beeman springer I can slip within 200-300 yards, get the squirrels and be gone without being noticed. I NEVER hunt were I don't have permission, but this stops the harassment and headaches.

GreyOne
07-05-2009, 03:33 PM
Website url: <http://www.umarexusa.com/ >

GreyOne
07-05-2009, 05:01 PM
The Beeman P17 pistol- about 400 fps. advertised velocity, 177 caliber. Cocking stroke is about 28-30 pounds- a bit stiff for some.
Velocity is not likely more than 300-325 judging by the impact - but it shoot decently and can take a head shot on a frog close up.

http://i361.photobucket.com/albums/oo58/GreyOne1/07%2009/P1000707.jpg

The size and feel are close to a standard auto pistol, so it is good for practicing grip, sight alignment and trigger control.

Old Pa
07-05-2009, 05:24 PM
Website url: <http://www.umarexusa.com/ >

However the listing of refurbished air rifles is not available online.

Trekon86
07-05-2009, 07:17 PM
G1, this is the one I just got:
http://www.pyramydair.com/cgi-bin/zoomed_model.pl?model_id=198 (http://www.pyramydair.com/cgi-bin/zoomed_model.pl?model_id=198)

I'm debating on whether to get the steel breech face upgrade (from Crosman) or an aftermarket brass breech, or not at all.

I guess I'll see how it performs:)
PMZ

Boonie
07-05-2009, 07:37 PM
I read that it's better to convert the spring pistion over to gas piston. Pyramidair does the conversion for around a $100 on most models of springers. You get a quiter gun with less shock and longer life.

Of course the cat's meow these days are the precharged guns. Unless you have a compressor, I don't want to rely on a hand pump to fill it to 2000-3000 psi. I consider it enough work just to pump my Benji 8 times.

GreyOne
07-05-2009, 07:57 PM
G1, this is the one I just got:
http://www.pyramydair.com/cgi-bin/zoomed_model.pl?model_id=198 (http://www.pyramydair.com/cgi-bin/zoomed_model.pl?model_id=198)

I'm debating on whether to get the steel breech face upgrade (from Crosman) or an aftermarket brass breech, or not at all.

I guess I'll see how it performs:)
PMZ

Looks nice, not familiar with the model. I would not do any upgrades/ add-ons until I had a chance to wring it out a bit. I find that after a bit of familiarization, a lot of the add-ons are unnecessary if not downright distracting.
Course, I paid a lot of money to learn that lesson <g>.

Trekon86
07-05-2009, 11:54 PM
Yeah the reviews I've read say that the 600fps is more or less acccurate, given you use the Crosman premier pellets. However they say that if you pump it too much at one whack it'll goof up the piston so 10 or 11 pumps is plenty.
PMZ

Trekon86
07-05-2009, 11:55 PM
Sorry, Whitejaw, I just completely hijacked your thread:o

OK, back to topic:D
PMZ

PWork
07-06-2009, 08:13 AM
I have a Crosman 1377....Awesome little gun.http://fc07.deviantart.com/images3/i/2004/146/9/1/Two_thumbs_up.gif

Old Pa
07-06-2009, 08:38 AM
Couple of airguns:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3151/3040482323_4a4ac70dc6_b.jpg

bmatt
07-06-2009, 11:17 AM
Anybody else an airgun hunter?

Can't hunt with them, unfortunately, but I do enjoy them.

I have a heavily modified QB78. Mods include: adjustable hammer spring, conversion from CO2 to compressed air, nicer stock, 4x scope and exchangable barrels :D In 10 - 15 minutes, I can change it from .177 to .22 or vice versa. Shooting heavy Beeman .22 pellets at full power, it's as powerful as a .22 short. :D Shooting normal weight pellets at medium power I get about 35 good shots on a fill. Topping up the pressure then only takes a few minutes.

I also have a modded Crosman 2240. Stronger hammer spring, wood grips and scope added. Can't find the pics at the moment...

leo0274
11-16-2012, 07:55 AM
Here in Brazil everything is too expensive, this air pistol http://www.airgundepot.com/rosman-airguns-1377c-american-classic-air-pistol-remanufactured.html costs $36.90 in USA, in Brazil $409.87, a good airgun here is $216.00 or much more.
I have a very old one, just like this:
It's a CBC mod.345 Expresso cal 4.5, from the 1980s
I'll buy a new a CBC standard 4.5 B19-s: