PDA

View Full Version : Air Force Mukluks

mongo1958
02-02-2011, 11:35 AM
Hi:
I have a pair of these and will be using them next week. Here is an incredibly cheap price for these.

http://www.unclesamsretailoutlet.com/Air-Force-Extreme-Cold-Weather-Mukluk-Boots-N-1B-XL-8430002690101.html

theboomboom
02-02-2011, 11:44 AM
Do you have a source for liners?

Old Philosopher
02-02-2011, 11:56 AM
I still use the two pair I got back in the 70's! Double wool insoles. I would recommend them to anyone! Think snowpacks and gators all-in-one. :dblthumb:

You definitely want to put some laces in those, though. Mine still have the original web laces (same material as the ties at the top), but paracord would work fine.

http://www.unclesamsretailoutlet.com/images/P/Air%20Force%20Extreme%20Cold%20Weather%20Mukluk%20 Boots%20-%20N-1B-1.jpg

Old Philosopher
02-02-2011, 12:03 PM
Do you have a source for liners?
My 2-cents...
Liners weren't issued with them, and I've never seen any that supposedly were made for them. They should come with 2 wool felt insoles, since otherwise your foot is right on the rubber sole. I've used mine in -40 weather (AK and NE) and 2' of snow and never even re-treated the canvas for waterproofing.

Croatoan
02-02-2011, 12:38 PM
Friend of mine uses the 16" gray wool liners from Schnee's in his. He swears by them. You can find the liners here (http://www.schnees.com/product/2805/schnees-insulated-pac-boots).

mongo1958
02-02-2011, 01:13 PM
This is what I am going to use
[http://store.colemans.com/cart/us-gi-extreme-cold-weather-sockboot-liner-p-2363.html?currency=USD

QUOTE=theboomboom;476165]Do you have a source for liners?[/QUOTE]

Sgt. Mac
02-02-2011, 01:19 PM
I love mine and wear em all the time

Old Philosopher
02-02-2011, 01:20 PM
This is what I am going to use
[http://store.colemans.com/cart/us-gi-extreme-cold-weather-sockboot-liner-p-2363.html?currency=USD

:dblthumb: I guess I AM getting senile. :o Yes, those were issued with them. I got "liners" confused with "booties". ;) I lost mine long ago. Thanks for the link to pick up some more.

Mr.Black
02-02-2011, 01:23 PM
These are available too...just a thought. http://www.sorel.com/replacement-boot-liners/liners,default,sc.html
M/BK

natureboy68
02-02-2011, 04:13 PM
that is a great price! got pick up a pair, i remember reading somewhere...maybe here! that the sunwalkers at wiggys are good replacment liners...can anyone confirm this?
http://wiggys.com/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ID=42&CFID=631110&CFTOKEN=63942792

lonetracker
02-03-2011, 06:34 PM
i also got a pair of these.i have worn them on 4 trips that were below 15 degrees most of the trip.i really like them .
for those of you thinking of getting these they are not waterproof.they have rubber soles and canvass uppers.they are designed for use in 15 to 20 degree weather and below.the canvass lets the sweat out.i am out alot in the winter and normally wear rubber bottomed pack boots.my feet sweat allot and by days end my socks and wool felt liners are normally soaked in sweat,and my feet got cold as soon as i slow down.my feet never got sweaty wet in these mukluks.they breath very good.i can normally wear the same socks i wore all day to bed because they are still dry at the end of the day.
they do have there limitations.steping in any water your feet will become wet fast.warmer weather and the snow will melt through them.also being around the campfire at night causes the snow on the top of your foot to melt,and it soaks right in.last time out i made small snow piles in front of my fire so i could keep my mukluks behind them out of the heat.that worked well.i wore the liners from the mukluks to bed that night,my feet stayed warm despite the -18degf temps so the liners must have been dry
bill.

wsdstan
02-03-2011, 07:55 PM
I have a pair of the Air Force mukluks also. They are great when its cold enough that the snow doesn't melt. I used the wool boot liners for some time but two years ago bought some Wiggy's Sun Walker liners. They work extremely well in the Air Force boots.

http://wiggys.com/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ID=42

wsdstan
02-03-2011, 08:00 PM
that is a great price! got pick up a pair, i remember reading somewhere...maybe here! that the sunwalkers at wiggys are good replacment liners...can anyone confirm this?

I posted my comment about SunWalkers before I saw your post. They work great for me. I have had them for two years and they really give me quite a bit more warmth and are much better to walk in than the wool boot liners, the white ones.

grnmtn
02-03-2011, 09:05 PM
thanks for the heads up! just ordered a pair. hopefully there not too big, i usually wear a size 11 in packs, and these are only the xl 12-13. anyone have an idea of how they fit sizewise?

Old Philosopher
02-03-2011, 10:05 PM
The ones I was issued were treated in some way. I could stand ankle deep in a stream and not get wet feet. The feel of the canvas was almost greasy.
If these ones being currently sold are not treated, I would suggest waterproof treating (wax, etc.) the same way you would a canvas backpack, before you use them.

lonetracker
02-03-2011, 10:08 PM
thanks for the heads up! just ordered a pair. hopefully there not too big, i usually wear a size 11 in packs, and these are only the xl 12-13. anyone have an idea of how they fit sizewise?

i wear the same size pacs and got the same size mukluks.they are very big,but you can cinch the laces tighter so they still fit snug.i can wear the pac liner from my reg boots inside the liner that came with the mukluks if i want also.

natureboy68
02-04-2011, 02:08 PM
just ordered a pair from uncle sams and the liners from colemans...will report on fit, etc when i receive them...

One Legged Josh
02-04-2011, 04:38 PM
Mine came in today. I will report on them after some use. Good thing I saved my old Sorel liners....

Thanks!

natureboy68
02-08-2011, 09:29 PM
got mine today, they look unissued,never used, and they came with laces, tried them on with my el cheapo pacboot liners, VERY comfortable, more so than my pacboots...gotta wait for the liners to come in for a full test, my pacboot liners dont fit me that well...

mainewoods
02-08-2011, 09:47 PM
I'am thinking about pick-up a pair of the Air force Mukluks Like to see a review on a pair, I've heard good things,but where is a good place to get them and linens. Thanks

mongo1958
02-12-2011, 06:54 PM
Hi:
Just got back from Ely MN. Skied into the BWCA and camped for 5 days. I brought both my Steger Mukluks and my new Air Force Mukluks (AF). I have had Stegers for about 10 years, but I have to say the AF won out. I bought a pair of liners at Stegers and used them in the AF. The Stegers are ligthter but the AF fit better in a berwin binding and are more supportive. It got real cold and my feet were perfect. The AF are better when the snow in camp gets packed down and slippery. Both are great cold, dry winter foot wear but if I could only bring one, I would choose the AF. My Two Cents

grnmtn
02-12-2011, 09:06 PM
my mukluks are here too, and i'm looking forward to using them. my sz 11 felt liners from my white's pac boots fit the muks perfectly. my muks came with 2 felt insoles in each which will come in handy as well. not bad for $20!

mongo1958
02-15-2011, 07:13 PM
my mukluks are here too, and i'm looking forward to using them. my sz 11 felt liners from my white's pac boots fit the muks perfectly. my muks came with 2 felt insoles in each which will come in handy as well. not bad for $20!

I used both insoles at one time.

DeseretPatriot
01-12-2012, 08:39 AM
Hi all. Sorry to revive an old thread but I was wanting to get a pair of these AF mukluks but I have a sizing question. I've found L and XL sizes only. L says it fits sz 9-10 and XL 11-12. My problem is I'm a 13 and can't seem to locate any XXL sizes (maybe the don't exist). For those of you who have these do you think if I got an XL it would fit okay or definitely be too small? Thanks.

GurNewbie
01-12-2012, 09:19 AM
I loved these mukluks. They were my maine winter footware when I was stationed in carbou. One word of advise though, sweep them off good when going in and out a lot in cold snowy days. The ones I wore, the snow melted and refroze into ice if you didn't keep them clean at 20 below! I sure do miss them though, might have to get another pair.

beekeeper
01-12-2012, 10:39 AM
When I was at Tin City, an artic radar site, We were required to have these with us all winter in case of fire and we had to leave the buliding. I wore mine like bed room slippers, they are very light weight. I checked mine in when I left..nuts. I now use Soreal Bears that are ok , just heavyer. Two sets of liners one to wear and one to dry out.
Great with snow shoes.
Thanks for waking up the old thread , I'm off to buy a pair.

mongo1958
01-12-2012, 02:56 PM
I take a 13W and my XL fits fine. I also have a high arch.

Hi all. Sorry to revive an old thread but I was wanting to get a pair of these AF mukluks but I have a sizing question. I've found L and XL sizes only. L says it fits sz 9-10 and XL 11-12. My problem is I'm a 13 and can't seem to locate any XXL sizes (maybe the don't exist). For those of you who have these do you think if I got an XL it would fit okay or definitely be too small? Thanks.

natureboy68
01-12-2012, 04:08 PM
I wear a 13 and they fit perfectly, definitely worth it!

DeseretPatriot
01-12-2012, 04:12 PM
Great! Thanks for the advice fellas :)

DeseretPatriot
01-12-2012, 05:59 PM
Anybody have a cheap source to find XL's. I found these: http://www.unclesamsretailoutlet.com/Air-Force-Extreme-Cold-Weather-Mukluk-Boots-N-1B-L-8430002690100.html but they only have L. The only other thing I could find was one XL pair on an auction site but they want $65. I'd like to pay less if I can find them. I can't believe I'm finding them in the $250-$300 range too, whew!! Maybe I should just bite the bullet and buy the $65 ones. Whatya think?

wsdstan
01-12-2012, 07:47 PM

I did not read all the post so this may have been answered. I use the Sunwalkers over a 1/2" thick wool felt insole in the Airforce Mukluks and they are warm down to as cold as I am going to be out in. I also have some wool liners that I use from time to time but the Sunwalkers are hard to beat in any pac boot or mukluk.

deepwoods
01-17-2012, 12:11 AM
DeseretPatriot,
Here are a couple options for $50-
http://www.armysurpluswarehouse.com/muckluck.html
http://bandmmilitarysurplus.com/cart/cold-weather-new-genuine-n1b-mukluks-p-1368.html

riverjoe
01-17-2012, 11:16 AM
Hi:
Just got back from Ely MN. Skied into the BWCA and camped for 5 days. I brought both my Steger Mukluks and my new Air Force Mukluks (AF). I have had Stegers for about 10 years, but I have to say the AF won out. I bought a pair of liners at Stegers and used them in the AF. The Stegers are ligthter but the AF fit better in a berwin binding and are more supportive. It got real cold and my feet were perfect. The AF are better when the snow in camp gets packed down and slippery. Both are great cold, dry winter foot wear but if I could only bring one, I would choose the AF. My Two Cents

Mongo ,
Don't want to make you feel guilty or anything , but wouldn't it be great if you posted detailed pics of your camp, toboggan ,skis , excellent gear and real snow for us winter deprived mid westeners

mongo1958
01-17-2012, 02:04 PM
Mongo ,
Don't want to make you feel guilty or anything , but wouldn't it be great if you posted detailed pics of your camp, toboggan ,skis , excellent gear and real snow for us winter deprived mid westeners

http://www.bushcraftusa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29914

I did last year

riverjoe
01-18-2012, 07:16 PM
http://www.bushcraftusa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29914

I did last year
That gear of yours is just awesome . It reminds me of the old catalogues from the 30s etc .
How about the stove did you build that . What material is it and how much does it weigh with the stack . I'm building a couple of new ones trying to acheive lighter weight and ease of installation .

mongo1958
01-19-2012, 11:14 AM
The stove is titanium from 4 dog. Awsome stove.

That gear of yours is just awesome . It reminds me of the old catalogues from the 30s etc .
How about the stove did you build that . What material is it and how much does it weigh with the stack . I'm building a couple of new ones trying to acheive lighter weight and ease of installation .

DRIVEBYTRUCKER
01-19-2012, 12:03 PM
The sizing is all over the place on these sites that sell them. I'm a size 11 American. What size would fit me? Large?

grnmtn
01-19-2012, 06:25 PM
drivebytrucker, i'd say large or extra large. i wear an 11 in my pac boots and the extra large fits well and is roomy. i've read of guys with the same size feet wearing the large with success as well. one thing, i've learned, especially with cold weather footwear, is a little loose is way better than a little tight.

DRIVEBYTRUCKER
01-19-2012, 07:42 PM
Thanks. But what are pac boots? I'm not sure what size I am with pac boots. I just know that if I went out today and bought a pair of Nikes, I'm a size 11.

grnmtn
01-19-2012, 08:07 PM
i wear whites pacs for wet cold. http://www.whitesboots.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=29863
i wear a 10.5 in low-cut hikers and work boots. i'd say the xl would be the better choice for you.

riverjoe
01-19-2012, 08:38 PM
Thinking about buying a pair of Kamik pac boots on sale at about $55 . Look pretty similar to Air Force muk luks but have no shipping and Ive already tried them on .
Anybody familiar with these . My intent is to add them to my emergency kit on my pulk for winter camping . Also carrying the Air Force type parka and a pair of insulated coveralls . My buddy went into sort of a hypo thermia last year on our outing hence the emergency bag .

45jack
01-19-2012, 09:04 PM
haven't needed them this year, but I got when I need 'em.

DRIVEBYTRUCKER
01-20-2012, 01:15 AM
Kamik pac boots for $55? Where at?

DRIVEBYTRUCKER
01-20-2012, 01:17 AM
The place selling the mukluks for $30 no longer has any XL. Only large. So I guess I'll have to wait on these.

riverjoe
01-20-2012, 07:29 AM
Kamik boots at Gander Mountain if you have one near you . Are those boots any good ? Thats why I went over and looked at them . Some sights say the Air Force jobs say large eqals 9 or 10 and other sights say large equals 11 or 12 .
Just wonder about the lining in the Kamik but I spose if its inadequate you could order Air Force liners for $10

celticroots
01-20-2012, 09:28 AM
Dads always had liners in his that where issued in maine they where a white wool liner I believe. If I can find them will put pics I know there around here somewhere.

Buckfevr
02-18-2014, 06:31 PM
I know this is an old thread but it was very helpful to me. I am a size 12 and went with the large size and size 12 Wiggy's Sunwalkers. With the 2 wool felt liners and the Sunwalkers I can still manage a heavy wool sock. I will also use Wiggy's Lamilite sock if additional insulation is needed for extreme cold. The design of the Mukluk is accomodating with the lacing system. The benefit of this system is that it is breathable and the Wiggy's insulation woks on that premise so it's a great match. The weight of the airforce Mukluks with the Sunwalkers for the pair is 4.2lbs which is insanely light. The only issue is water resistance so I used the permanent water repellant by Atsko which will retain the breathability and greatly improve the water resistance. There have been comments about ankle support and using them for hiking, but IMO it really comes down to sizing. I am replacing the lacing system with Paracord and a Paracord 2 cord clamp, just so much easier to quickly secure in the cold. I'll report back on durability down the road after I put them through the paces.

Brock63
02-18-2014, 06:54 PM
My 2-cents...
Liners weren't issued with them, and I've never seen any that supposedly were made for them. They should come with 2 wool felt insoles, since otherwise your foot is right on the rubber sole. I've used mine in -40 weather (AK and NE) and 2' of snow and never even re-treated the canvas for waterproofing.

actually not true....I got issued them in 80s overseas and heavy wool liners came with them. They are a little big and bulky but made to go over the issued wool socks (creme colored) and allow air circulation...then you lace up the tall green canvas leg portions and go for it. Here is what they look like...and come in same size as boot.

the insoles were dark grey if I remember right....

you can still buy the mukluks, liners and insoles at a lot of surplus stores....like colemans. I also had a pair of bunny boots and mickey mouse boots...one white and other black...traded them for a second set of mukluks as my feet sweated too bad in the rubber boots.

http://www.colemans.com/bootsandshoes.htm

Moondog55
02-18-2014, 07:07 PM
I'd love to buy several pairs of these but they want over $70- to send 3 pairs to OZ
Anybody coming to Australia to visit soon>??
Free room and board and a quick tour of the local area in exchange for bring my shopping with you; and I'm a damned good cook.

Brock63
02-18-2014, 08:54 PM
I got a buddy that comes from there every year for a biker party I co-host here in SC....if you get a pair between now and end of September and have them sent to either me or the home of the guy that owns the land...I will make sure John takes them back in his bags. I believe he lives about halfway between Sydney and Melbourne....but cant remember town for life of me...think Temora or Wagga Wagga or something like that.

Fillerhoff
02-19-2014, 03:16 AM
Thinking about buying a pair of Kamik pac boots on sale at about $55 . Look pretty similar to Air Force muk luks but have no shipping and Ive already tried them on .
Anybody familiar with these . My intent is to add them to my emergency kit on my pulk for winter camping . Also carrying the Air Force type parka and a pair of insulated coveralls . My buddy went into sort of a hypo thermia last year on our outing hence the emergency bag .
I absolutely love my Kamiks. Warm as can be and have lasted me for over 12 years with only the laces needing replacement.

Moondog55
02-19-2014, 03:49 AM
Cool
Thanx
A lot of country between Melbourne and Sydney, some of it dull and boring some really pretty.

phreak
02-19-2014, 08:45 AM
I wore them quite a bit growing up in Michigan. My uncle gave me a pair that were too big. A couple pair of wool socks and they fit alright. I don't think my toes ever got cold, even sitting out ice fishing all day.

oldsoldier
02-19-2014, 11:41 AM
I have been using a pair of USAF mukluks for a couple years now. I spray them with Scotchgard every winter, and it keeps them water resistant. I've not really had an issue with my feet swimming in the waterproofness. They make a specific scotchgard for outdoor canvas-I use that one. I only spray to just above the ankle. Its worked for me for the past couple years.

Brock63
02-19-2014, 01:24 PM
Cool
Thanx
A lot of country between Melbourne and Sydney, some of it dull and boring some really pretty.

yeah but shipping even from tamara to you has to be a lot cheaper than from states...haha

just let me know if you decide to do it...i sold him my Indian Chief few years ago and we figured out how to get it shipped to Australia legally so surely we can get some mukluks to Australia. :)

Moondog55
02-21-2014, 12:02 AM
yeah but shipping even from tamara to you has to be a lot cheaper than from states...haha

just let me know if you decide to do it...i sold him my Indian Chief few years ago and we figured out how to get it shipped to Australia legally so surely we can get some mukluks to Australia. :)

The Motorcycle or the wooden cigar type?