PDA

View Full Version : Maxpedition Water-Bottle Holder - strap

dogboy
02-13-2011, 01:45 PM
Could someone explain to me what the integrated strap on the MaxP Bottle holder is FOR?! Other than to get in the way every time I want to use the holder?

I strap it to my pack MOLLE webbing, and it gets in the way. I put a shoulder strap on the holder, and the integrated strap gets in the way. It is too short to use it as an actual strap, and too long to just cinch it down and use it as a handle, because of all the extra strap just flopping around.

I'm tempted to cut the dang thing off entirely, but I figured I'd post on here and see if anyone had figured any good use for it (other than strapping the bottle-holder to a pygmy-sized sherpa).

Panzer
02-13-2011, 03:17 PM
What strap are you talking about??

I don't see it or remember it on that product
http://www.twowolvesoutdoor.com/10X4bottleholder.htm

Mojoe
02-13-2011, 03:20 PM
Hmm.... I have a Maxped 10 x 4 and I'm not sure which strap you're talking about. I added a shoulder strap to mine.

dogboy
02-13-2011, 04:23 PM
No pictures that I have ever seen of any of MaxP's bottle holders have the strap that I'm talking about, but apparently they are all being delivered with it now, as 3 different bottles from three different places over the last ... maybe year... have had the strap. See below. This is a picture of the back-side of the holder, exactly opposite the external zipper compartment on the holder.

dogboy
02-13-2011, 04:25 PM
Compare those pictures to the current pictures on Maxpedition's page of the same bottle....

http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/12-x-5-Bottle-Holder-7p568.htm

I'm guessing they just have older pictures, but it sounds like I'm the only one who has this strap?

If the strap was long enough to actually be usable as some sort of shoulder strap, that would be awesome. But it isn't. Unless, like I said, you're a pygmy. I GUESS it could be used to attach the bottle through some sort of ladder-lock to a pack. But it isn't really usable as a MOLLE strap. So I'm at a loss what it is for.

I can almost believe it is supposed to be for use as a shoulder strap, even though it is too short. It wouldn't be the first time that their straps have seemed just a tad too short.

MJDavis
02-13-2011, 04:28 PM
Looks to me like you could use this strap to lash it to your pack.
My bottle holder does not have this.

KuRUpTD
02-13-2011, 04:32 PM
I have the 10 x 4 and it doesn't have that strap either - interesting.

dogboy
02-13-2011, 04:34 PM
I've got half-a-mind to just email them and ask, although they'd probably think I'm stupid. I'm sure they have something in mind, but I'd love to know what. I mean, if you read that page that I linked just above, they don't even mention it there, either (which makes sense, since they don't have a picture of it).

cloudraker
02-13-2011, 04:35 PM
I have a 10x4 bottle holder without that strap. Without it I find it a bitch to attach to other packs, even my maxped gear. I personally don't like the tac tie attachment options and prefer straps like that on my water bottle holder.

So, if you want to trade water bottle holders let me know...

Jason
02-13-2011, 04:39 PM
I don't have it either but I just ordered about 6 so I'll see if they come with it.

Mojoe
02-13-2011, 04:42 PM
If you cut the strap it will void the warranty. I cut the tag off a maxped phone case because it was on the inside of the case and I was worried about it scratching my screen. My buckle broke in December and they said the warranty was voided because I removed the tag. Just a warning.

dogboy
02-13-2011, 04:44 PM
I have a 10x4 bottle holder without that strap. Without it I find it a bitch to attach to other packs, even my maxped gear. I personally don't like the tac tie attachment options and prefer straps like that on my water bottle holder.
So, if you want to trade water bottle holders let me know...

Thanks, but no, cloudraker. I'm not really interested in trading, as I specifically always purchase 12x5 (or 12x4, whatever) carriers. I like the little bit of extra space to stash more stuff...

How do you attach yours to your MaxP packs if not tac-ties (which, BTW, I love)?

I don't have it either but I just ordered about 6 so I'll see if they come with it.

Cool, look forward to hearing what you think. I would be SHOCKED if they didn't have it, because one of the most recent ones I ordered was direct from Maxpedition.

dogboy
02-13-2011, 04:47 PM
If you cut the strap it will void the warranty. I cut the tag off a maxped phone case because it was on the inside of the case and I was worried about it scratching my screen. My buckle broke in December and they said the warranty was voided because I removed the tag. Just a warning.

Well THAT's rather asinine. Why would that make any difference (other than now they can't get any free brand advertising? Like it even be seen if the tag was on the inside... but whatever.

cloudraker
02-13-2011, 04:53 PM
Thanks, but no, cloudraker. I'm not really interested in trading, as I specifically always purchase 12x5 (or 12x4, whatever) carriers. I like the little bit of extra space to stash more stuff...

How do you attach yours to your MaxP packs if not tac-ties

LOL, I was just kidding on the trading part. I'm glad maxped made that improvement though.

Currently trying out some zip ties. They're holding fine, but seem a little "wobbly" to me. Some spare straps are my next move.
Truth be told, I use my versipack and pygmy falcon II more.

Jason
02-13-2011, 05:03 PM
Was it the company tag you cut off? They may not have honored it because it couldn't be proven that it was theirs. I'm not defending them by any means because if you cut that stupid strap off it should NOT void the warranty as long as you didn't damage the seem or something. But not having a maxped label might be enough to void your warranty. It could have been assumed it was a knock off.

brutane
02-13-2011, 05:11 PM
Wow, I have one of these from about two years back and mine doesn't have the strap. It's another case of personal preference, as I wish mine did have the strap.

Mojoe
02-13-2011, 05:51 PM
I think you're probably onto something there Koa. The buckle still holds great with the one side intact. I'm sure the warranty would have covered the cost of the replacement buckle ($0.75) and they probably would have made me cover the shipping. They did say that... " replacement buckle can be purchase for $0.75 each plus shipping ($5.80 domestic via USPS priority mail)." ...but I didn't feel like shelling out the $5.80 for shipping just yet. If the buckle breaks completely, then I would.

Surprised they didn't put the label on the outside anyway instead of over the soft inner lining of the case.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/_SoQ7WQjmEhg/TP6CjYyQJ9I/AAAAAAAACuk/sM-JaWbPAiY/s800/2010-12-07_12-32-19_206.jpg

Was it the company tag you cut off? They may not have honored it because it couldn't be proven that it was theirs. But not having a maxped label might be enough to void your warranty. It could have been assumed it was a knock off.

dogboy
02-13-2011, 06:25 PM
Love this subject.

For years I've gone through the same thing Brionic mentioned and Kephart put to pen a long time ago. I've always tried to learn from what I carry but every year I find myself making alterations, maybe not buying but at least altering.

As a result the fuel for the passion goes into gear acquisitions. These are just my observations based on the fact that the more I do, the less I am buying.

Uhhhh.... what???? :confused:

Back to the strap.... it gets in the way more when I'm carrying the carrier on a shoulder strap. When I attach it to webbing, I just tuck it in out of the way an you never know it is there. I guess it is better to have it than not, but I really wanted to see if anyone knew what it was actually for.

I guess it MUST be for attaching it to a pack somehow. Probably through an ALICE type webbing instead of MOLLE?

Cloudraker, if you are trying to attach the carrier to MOLLE webbing, particularly MaxP's, the tac ties are as solid as you can get without sewing, I'm convinced. The key is to go to the trouble of weaving the tac-ties like they show. Then the bottle carrier feels almost like it is part of the pack. And it WON'T come off without work. Even if you want it to. Which is the reason I've bought three of them now. I keep them on a couple of my primary packs with MOLLE and tac-ties, and they were so hard to get off that I decided it was worth it to just outfit the packs with them long-term. And one to carry over my shoulder for walking the dog. I know, that is probably excessive, but they (or that type) really are the best carrier for water that I've run across.

johncarbaugh
02-13-2011, 10:20 PM
I got a bottle holder about a month ago. No strap.

sarge1967
02-14-2011, 12:04 AM
I just got two of them. Neither one had the strap.

dogboy
02-14-2011, 07:48 PM
Hmmmm... I would almost believe then that I got old stock. Except one of the most recent I bought came directly from Maxpedition.....

Chert
02-15-2011, 04:48 PM
You said you got the 12x5, that could be why. The most purchased size I believe is the 10x4, which doesn't come with the strap. There might be some confusion as the first post just says "Maxpedition Water-Bottle Holder" but doesn't say that it's the larger than average sized one. Larger size could warrant an additional strap.

KuRUpTD
02-15-2011, 05:33 PM
Found a video that shows the strap you mention - looks like only the 12 x 5 has it

YouTube - Maxpedition 12 x 5 Bottle Holder (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQJ5HHRbfLE)

Arrowolf
02-15-2011, 06:18 PM
My 12x5 has the strap. A knife will take care of it.

dogboy
02-15-2011, 10:24 PM
Thanks guys, that must be it.

The reason I didn't think about the difference in sizes is because on the MaxP site, it shows both the 10x4 and the 12x5 without the strap. Unless, of course, they are showing the 10x4 in place of the 12x5....

But anyway, that must be it. Thanks.

Haven't had a chance to look at the video. Hopefully IT shows how to use that strap?

Jason
02-20-2011, 04:27 PM
All 6 10x4's did not have any strap. I don't have a 12x5 to compare though no one ever buys them.

dogboy
02-21-2011, 05:54 AM
All 6 10x4's did not have any strap. I don't have a 12x5 to compare though no one ever buys them.

Well THAT's interesting. To me, the 10x4 seems to be pretty much a waste, when you can get a 12x5, and get the extra space. You can easily fit a small cookset under a Nalgene in the 12x5. And they add extra space to a bag when attached to the webbing. Just altogether one of the better inventions, IMO.