PDA

View Full Version : Woodworking

Bravo Tango
02-16-2011, 04:01 AM
I was just thinking that maybe a section for woodworking, carving, and all around carpentry would be a nice addition. A lot of bushcrafting is one way are another working with wood. :6:

Dross
02-16-2011, 04:46 AM
I could see it as maybe new sticky under self made gear... Where does Bushcraft end and carpentry begin?

Bravo Tango
02-16-2011, 06:02 AM
When you start using power tools

bradleybuckman
02-16-2011, 06:06 AM
I like that idea and it's something that I have an interest in.

Bush Otter
02-16-2011, 06:22 AM
It is in here just hit or miss , I think a dedicated section to wood stuff would be interesting.

Wonder what they called carpenters before power tools?

briarbrow
02-16-2011, 07:06 AM
I could see it as maybe new sticky under self made gear... Where does Bushcraft end and carpentry begin?
when you use tools that are not part of your usual kit

briarbrow
02-16-2011, 07:07 AM
It is in here just hit or miss , I think a dedicated section to wood stuff would be interesting.

Drunks?

heh I like to use hand tools.

Sawdust and Splinters
02-16-2011, 08:01 AM
Probably a good idea if we can keep off too many posts of wood boxes made for your 15 inch subs to tweak the hatch of your oopdy.

Buckskin
02-16-2011, 08:08 AM

Well according to the Bible Jesus was a carpenter. I don't think he had anything that was stamped with DeWalt or Porter-Cable on it.

Buckskin
02-16-2011, 08:13 AM
I wouldn't mind seeing a woodworking section either under self-made gear or something. As long as it is woodworking with out electric power tools. Traditional stuff. Bow lathes, treadle saws, hammer and chisel. That would be good stuff!

My last M-F gig was as a carpenter. Either way I spend hours and hours playing with the wood (get your mind out of the gutter!).

Bravo Tango
02-16-2011, 08:05 PM
I was just thinking about where I would ask for advice on carving some handles on here and realized that I am always looking for tip when carving or woodworking since so many people have more experience in certain projects.

No boombox crap allowed. I would like to see things on carving and basic woodworking that would benefit all of us in our craft. From knife handles, toy making, chairs, tables, and the such. Not the fancy stuff that you would buy from a furniture store but some good old fashioned American handmade items.

Marsh
02-16-2011, 08:45 PM
**ears perking up** Did someone say Carving? :) :)

Marsh

Bravo Tango
02-16-2011, 09:30 PM
**ears perking up** Did someone say Carving? :) :)

Marsh

Why yes, yes I did. I believe that falls in with woodworking. Or maybe we could just do a carving section that way nobody feels the need to put things in that don't pertain to bushcraft.

briarbrow
02-17-2011, 07:41 AM
Why yes, yes I did. I believe that falls in with woodworking. Or maybe we could just do a carving section that way nobody feels the need to put things in that don't pertain to bushcraft.
Oh no BT I liked your post # 11 better:14:

As it is most things could fit into self made gear like darrells' fantastic canoe.

Other Skills; or, even Trips and Expeditions...for that big trip building the cabin in the woods so many dream of. So maybe there's already places to post

There are so many aspects to be explored: making and modifying, restoring hand tools, hunting vintage sharpening stones at flea markets or making your own from rocks, traditional joinery, green woodworking-chairs, baskets...
bark craft.
:dblthumb:

Ironwood
02-24-2011, 02:36 PM
I was thinking along the same lines as Bravo Tango. My original thought before I saw his post here, was to have a sub forum that was titled Wood. This title would broaden the scope and reinforce how important wood is in our lives and the outdoors we so gleefully enjoy. :4:

Wood is such an important ingredient in Bushcraft that I believe it may need a place of it's own. Then we could talk about things like wood finishes, grains of wood open grain or closed grain for instance, burls, diseases of wood. And of course things like carpentry and bushcrafty things that involve wood. My thought was on wood finishes, treatments, exotic and local woods etc. and every thing in between the bush and the kitchen cabinetry.:4: