PDA

View Full Version : Prayer sub-forum?

Prime Zombie
02-23-2011, 09:25 AM
I have noticed in my short time here at BCUSA a whole lot of threads about asking for prayer or related to prayer. They are always in general discussion, from what I have gathered.

How exactly is prayer related to bushcraft?

It seems fair that if political threads (even ones related directly to bushcraft) get moved as off topic, should not religious ones be moved too?

Just sayin'.

Iz
02-23-2011, 09:37 AM
I think it's related to bushcraft because bushcraft and this community is made up of people. And people have needs that they like to ask their friends for help with. Some people believe in the power of prayer and some don't but up until now most people have been fine with it.
Maybe we could have a "gripe about prayer threads sub forum"?
I mean come on, Prime. What do you think your thread says to the people that have made threads asking for prayer? I haven't posted one but I'm guess to a hurting person it's kinda a kick in the teeth.
I don't think that's what you intended but I'm guessing that it wasn't taken as constructive by those who have made posts your talking about.
Just sayin.
Iz

w9trb
02-23-2011, 09:43 AM
I think these prayer threads exist because when a person gets to the point of brokenness that they realize a need for prayer, they seek the prayers of kindred spirits and brothers and just click in General to get it done. If the mods deem a special set-aside place for prayer that is cool. Just don't figure you can stop praying people from praying.
Just sayin.

Sgt. Mac
02-23-2011, 09:43 AM
KOA addressed this issue before, and the ruling is that prayer request are ok. I'll try to find the thread it was in for you

EnglishManInOntario
02-23-2011, 09:57 AM
It was in the "we need to talk thread" IIRC sarge.

Sgt. Mac
02-23-2011, 10:01 AM
It was in the "we need to talk thread" IIRC sarge.

Roger that Brother

Thanx

Sgt. Mac
02-23-2011, 10:02 AM
Post #7 Prime-Zombie

http://www.bushcraftusa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29742

Dutch253
02-23-2011, 10:05 AM
I think it's related to bushcraft because bushcraft and this community is made up of people. And people have needs that they like to ask their friends for help with. Some people believe in the power of prayer and some don't but up until now most people have been fine with it.
Maybe we could have a "gripe about prayer threads sub forum"?
I mean come on, Prime. What do you think your thread says to the people that have made threads asking for prayer? I haven't posted one but I'm guess to a hurting person it's kinda a kick in the teeth.
I don't think that's what you intended but I'm guessing that it wasn't taken as constructive by those who have made posts your talking about.
Just sayin.
Iz

Maybe we should have a "people that gripe about people griping about prayer subforum" if someone has a ligitimate question you can't just push it aside.

Skab
02-23-2011, 10:12 AM
I agree with Iz, where Prime has a good question/suggestion. This would have been better asked via a pm. Not on the open forum.

Not that I have ever made any posts asking for prayer. But now everyone that has, may look at Prime in a different light. Kind of taking away from any "credit" he may have built up for himself. And creating friction where it could have been avoided.

pronghornrunner
02-23-2011, 10:18 AM
Being both a pastor and a person of prayer, I think Prime has a valid point. There is both a need for these kind of threads and a need to have a place for them.

Several forums I have used address this topic by having a "Christian" sub-forum. This allows a place for all those threads. It would also apply well here because there is a great number of individuals who find connection with a higher power while out in the woods and would, probably, like to discuss that as well (I know I would!). There certainly seem to be enough Christian brother and sisters on here to populate such a sub-forum.

Just my $0.02. I don't usually ride my "pastor" horse online much, but I do think it is a valid point.

Rook
02-23-2011, 10:26 AM
PZ, I'll say prayer for you in hopes you get an answer worthy of your satisfaction ....
Just sayin

dwightp
02-23-2011, 10:30 AM
Being both a pastor and a person of prayer, I think Prime has a valid point. There is both a need for these kind of threads and a need to have a place for them.

Several forums I have used address this topic by having a "Christian" sub-forum. This allows a place for all those threads. It would also apply well here because there is a great number of individuals who find connection with a higher power while out in the woods and would, probably, like to discuss that as well (I know I would!). There certainly seem to be enough Christian brother and sisters on here to populate such a sub-forum.

Just my $0.02. I don't usually ride my "pastor" horse online much, but I do think it is a valid point.

Yeah, I'd love to see a Christian subforum here also.

Cahlan
02-23-2011, 10:39 AM
I can see both sides of the spectrum on this topic. I understand the calling out for well wishes and prayers. In none of the posts I have read did anyone specify which deity or form of meditation to use to help them so no toes are being stepped on. On the other hand I can completely see where having a sub forum for people in distress could go to vent/ seek guidance could be beneficial to where instead of numerous posts scattered about, everything is one place so others could more easily see them and possibly render assistance if another person is finding themselves seeking help in that sub forum ( I keep thinking of the idea of two hurting people leaning on each other). I guess in summary, I wouldn't stand against any post at all asking for prayers, we are all an extended family here and that is exactly what family is supposed to do, help each other out, I would also think it neat for a separate forum, to where we can go to help someone in need, just in case it's a high traffic day and there post gets knocked off the portal page by others. My humble opinion

w9trb
02-23-2011, 10:44 AM
If the Forum is going to go down the "separate the prayer" road, then I'd ask that it just be a "Prayer" section as opposed to a "Christian" section. Many who pray are of differing beliefs/religions and should be included, if that is the road we are going down. I personally think things are fine as-is.

steve_t
02-23-2011, 10:48 AM
The matter raised is a good one, but I think it risks being looked at the wrong way around.

This is a bit more than a prayer issue: it is a question if forum members have the right to seek comfort and guidance (in the form of prayer or any other way) from other forum members without worrying if the request is "acceptable" or posted "in the right place". I think the answer is a definite "YES" as this is one of the things that makes this forum work as a community.

Comfort can be sought in prayer, in advice on what to do about unpleasant events at work (to take a recent case), or in many other ways. I think the form is less important than the fact that one of us can turn to other members of the community in need. It therefore follows that where the request for comfort and guidance goes in the forum is a bit of a non-starter: requests of this type have either unclear borders.... or the borders are those of the forum as a whole.

I just want to add that I have never asked for real guidance on personal matters, through prayer or otherwise, on this forum. However, if I needed to do so, I wouldn't want the additional burden of feeling that such a request might be unwelcome: we all have our pride and just asking takes guts.

That's a lot of 2c, for which I apologise. But I like to give comfort where possible and don't want to be unable to help, if help I can.

pronghornrunner
02-23-2011, 10:50 AM
If the Forum is going to go down the "separate the prayer" road, then I'd ask that it just be a "Prayer" section as opposed to a "Christian" section. Many who pray are of differing beliefs/religions and should be included, if that is the road we are going down. I personally think things are fine as-is.
How about "Wilderness Spirituality"? :D I like the sound of that. I agree, there should be an effort to make it inclusive.

Man! Just look at the conversation on this topic... think about the threads that we could have...

Jason
02-23-2011, 10:51 AM
There will not be a new subforum on religion be it Christian or other. Bushcraft USA is not a forum for religious discussion and I have seen forums ripped apart by religion. I don't see prayer/thought requests as overtly religious because they are not discussions of religion but rather a way to take the edge off of hard times by sharing with your community. That being said it seems that these threads are becoming very common and I can see how they may not be appropriate in general discussion. Let faol and I discuss it a bit and see what we come up with.

phrak
02-23-2011, 11:18 AM
I don't see prayer/thought requests as overtly religious

Prayers are inherently a religious practice by definition. There is no such thing as "secular prayer". Just sayin'

Leif
02-23-2011, 11:35 AM
I agree with Koa, I also do not see asking for prayer as an in your face religious post.

Your not singling one religion out, and it can not be seen as a confrontational religious argument. Unless your an atheist, and in which case, just respect that the majority of this community has a faith of some kind, and just move on from the thread.

Like Iz said above, this IS a community, and we all can respect each other, asking for prayers is ok. Starting a thread on whose god has a bigger ego is obviously not warranted.

upthecreek
02-23-2011, 11:46 AM
Hey, if we were out practicing our bushcraft skills, we wouldn't have time to dwell on such polarizing topics........

GreyOne
02-23-2011, 11:46 AM
The community needs to be able to ask each other for support, whether prayer, best wishes, or "good thoughts". If someone finds such a request too burdensome , I would pray they have enough respect for those who are hurting to simply skip over it, rather than make it an uncomfortable issue.

Guy
02-23-2011, 11:59 AM
This now classifies as a religious discussion, and is closed.