PDA

View Full Version : Water skin

Jeffprice
02-23-2011, 05:39 PM
Dose any one know how to make a water skin? I would love to make one just not sure how.

nothinghead
02-23-2011, 05:42 PM
As i recall, a pig's bladder will work. Unfortunately, I cannot tell you how to get the bladder from the pig...

fire65
02-23-2011, 06:17 PM
Yeah, I was thinking you will need a goat to start with. Guess a pig will work too. After that you are on your own.

Mr.Black
02-23-2011, 06:59 PM
Are talking about the bota type? or the real gut bag botas can be made with any container plastic and even Glass wine bottles,just cover the bottle with wet hide cover the original cap with rawhide add a strap and what ever you think is needed like a pocket.
the gut type is a animal stomach or bladder you can get that from some butchers or meat market or if you hunt. you can tie off the bottom turn that inside out then fill with hot sand and shaped and smoked it the top can be folded and tied after the sand cools and is rinsed out you can treat the inside but I never have except with heavy smoke, this is not really meant to last long and they were changed often the gut can be sliced and used for lashings and even bow strings after its life as a water carrier.
hope that helps that is all I got...there are also simple skin cauldrons used with rock boiling again hot sand helps in seizing the shape dig out the shape you want or need loosly stake out the skin add the hot sand when that is dry take that out the hole brush out all the sand rinse take back to the hole add your food and some water add Baseball sized red hot rocks with tongs to keep at a boil.Buffalo hump stew made in the Hump is the BEST.
Take care.
M/BK

Joe Willson
02-23-2011, 08:19 PM
LOL So far the guy has to get a goat, a pig and a buffalo.
Someone on here had a GREAT tutorial on making a leather flask. Sorry, but I can't help on the wine skin except to suggest you get a llama. :-)

madmax
02-23-2011, 08:37 PM
Here's the thread on the leather flask.
http://bushcraftusa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12237&highlight=leather+flask