PDA

View Full Version : Charter AR-7 Survival Rifle

GreyOne
07-26-2009, 04:24 PM
This is one of my long time truck guns, stays stowed in the truck nearly all the time.

Main component groups:
http://i361.photobucket.com/albums/oo58/GreyOne1/07%2009/P1000735.jpg

Fully stowed for travel:
http://i361.photobucket.com/albums/oo58/GreyOne1/07%2009/P1000734.jpg

Assembled for use:
http://i361.photobucket.com/albums/oo58/GreyOne1/07%2009/P1000736.jpg

7 round magazine, .22 LR, peep sight, semi auto.
Floats -barely- when fully stowed, and is waterproof.

Accuracy is better than a pistol, not as good as a solid stocked rifle, but minute of rabbit to 50 yards.
This one is picky on ammo- only the plated or copper-
clad rounds- it gets fouled out quickly on the lead bullets.

Bushpuukko
07-26-2009, 04:28 PM
G1, I managed to get a hold of 2 boxes of Remington .22 Viper Hyper Velocity 22 Long Rifle Truncated Cone bullets. My action seems really stiff and I was hoping the 22 Hyper's would be able to cycle it better. As of yet I haven't tested it out to see if it helps with the jamming problem. Was wondering if Hyper velocity bullets worked in yours or if a plated round nose was the better way to go?

GreyOne
07-26-2009, 04:37 PM
G1, I managed to get a hold of 2 boxes of Remington .22 Viper Hyper Velocity 22 Long Rifle Truncated Cone bullets. My action seems really stiff and I was hoping the 22 Hyper's would be able to cycle it better. As of yet I haven't tested it out to see if it helps with the jamming problem. Was wondering if Hyper velocity bullets worked in yours or if a plated round nose was the better way to go?

I like the plated round nose supersonic loads. They feed most reliably, and fire and extract reasonably reliably. Subsonics are very quiet, but make for a manually operated single shot. The bolt and spring are balanced for the premium supersonic or "hi velocity" rounds. I think the hyper velocity rounds are too much, and likely will eventually batter the action badly.
This old Charter is from the mid 1980's , and still going
strong. Like all AR-7 guns it is prone to get dirty and jam after 50-100 rounds, so needs frequent cleaning. For my
field use, that has never been a problem, as I seldom shoot that much on one trip. <g>.

Trekon86
07-26-2009, 04:46 PM
Looks great G1!:)
PMZ

Faol
07-26-2009, 04:51 PM
I saw a used one of these in one of the local gun shops this past week, for $229. That seemed a bit high to me for a used one. Are they that rare to raise the price like that on a used one?

GreyOne
07-26-2009, 05:00 PM
I saw a used one of these in one of the local gun shops this past week, for $229. That seemed a bit high to me for a used one. Are they that rare to raise the price like that on a used one?

I certainly would not pay that for one, but have not priced them lately. The current Henry version is apparently so hag ridden with faults that perhaps the older models are worth a premium if you want one.

RJM52
07-26-2009, 06:50 PM
I lucked into a nice original Armalite AR-7 in 1995 while traveling with a friend in Idaho. Has been a very reliable feeder and has rarely been cleaned.

Also had two of the CA Explorer handguns that were very good shooters...but one was less than reliable.

One thing I found is that there are a lot of JUNK magazines on the market. AR7 Industries had a some great ones a few years ago but I think they went out of business.

There is a company currently working on a .22 Magnum version of the AR7...I saw it at both the 2007 and 2009 SHOT Show but don't think they are in production yet.

Bob

ForestNH/VT
07-26-2009, 08:23 PM
Have the Henry version of this rifle - great little rifle, but it can be picky on ammo. Love it for the backpack though.

Forest

GreyOne
07-26-2009, 08:29 PM
Have the Henry version of this rifle - great little rifle, but it can be picky on ammo. Love it for the backpack though.

Forest

All flavors of AR-7 have been picky about their ammo.
The Henry has had some horrible shooter reviews, so if you got a good one , hang on to it. The quality is apparently quite variable. :)
Glad you like it. They are light and compact to pack, and
that is a big factor.

ForestNH/VT
07-26-2009, 08:55 PM
All flavors of AR-7 have been picky about their ammo.
The Henry has had some horrible shooter reviews, so if you got a good one , hang on to it. The quality is apparently quite variable. :)
Glad you like it. They are light and compact to pack, and
that is a big factor.

Seems to me in most of the bad reviews I have read, the reviewer was trying to compare apples to oranges. This is not a slick little .22 sharpshooter, it is a barebones "survival" rifle. If seen as that and no more, and with the limitations that come with that, I think it is great. I know there is a whole group of guys using the Henry receivers and putting custom stocks and fancy-shmancy barrels on them so they can't be too bad. No complaint aimed at you G1, just have been bothered by the reviewers who seem to want them to be Olympic biathalon rifles. Marlin and others have made arguably better survival rifles, but none so compact and inexpensive.

Pict
07-26-2009, 09:03 PM
I picked up a Cricket rifle to teach my kids how to shoot. It is only a single shot but it is very accurate, light and compact. I have a plan to make a take down aluminum skeletonized stock for it but so far haven't had the time.

http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/5662/cricket0434620.jpg
25 yard target

Mac

GreyOne
07-26-2009, 09:04 PM
Seems to me in most of the bad reviews I have read, the reviewer was trying to compare apples to oranges. This is not a slick little .22 sharpshooter, it is a barebones "survival" rifle. If seen as that and no more, and with the limitations that come with that, I think it is great. I know there is a whole group of guys using the Henry receivers and putting custom stocks and fancy-shmancy barrels on them so they can't be too bad. No complaint aimed at you G1, just have been bothered by the reviewers who seem to want them to be Olympic biathalon rifles. Marlin and others have made arguably better survival rifles, but none so compact and inexpensive.

Not going to disagree with you totally, but some of the problems mentioned were by people who owned Armalite or Charter versions, and found a great lack of comparability, especially in the function/ reliability factor.

[One issue with accuracy on all AR-7 flavors- do NOT support the barrell with your off hand as you normally would. Put your support hand under the magazine housing, / magazine. The thin and unstocked barrel will act
or react to pressure in a different manner every shot, since it has no forestock to insulate the variable pressures.
This one trick improves average accuracy for most shooters by a good bit.]

GreyOne
07-26-2009, 09:09 PM
Pict, that little Cricket looks to be shooting about "minute of cricket" there <g>. Single shot bolt rimfires are still the best rifle learning platform there is, in my prejudiced opinion. :)
I also think they are about all that is needed for the average foraging
hunt. Rabbit, squirrel, frog, snake, possum, raccoon, you name it, the single shot has taken more game than all the modern fancy semi auto guns . They just don't make one that packs up as compact and watertight and dustproof as the AR-7, least not yet. :)

ForestNH/VT
07-26-2009, 09:34 PM
Not going to disagree with you totally, but some of the problems mentioned were by people who owned Armalite or Charter versions, and found a great lack of comparability, especially in the function/ reliability factor.

You're right and mine does jam more often than I'd like (about once every 20 shots) - I'm just overly defensive because it is the only gun I own so far. :rolleyes: Guns and knives are like dogs - I can call mine a mangey mutt all I want, but no one else had better! :D

ForestNH/VT
07-26-2009, 09:37 PM
Pict, love the single-shot. My youngest son has just decided that he is tired of saving up for yet another Lego set and wants to get a .22. Do you mind me asking how much one of those runs??

Bushpuukko
07-26-2009, 10:43 PM
Forest, I hear what you're saying. I really like the "concept" of this gun and realize its definitely nowhere near Olympic capable. However, I just want it to feed rounds reliably and would be more than happy with 1 malfunction in 20. I can't abide by any firearm that shoots 1 in 8. Being ex-military, I KNOW how to clean a rifle and handle one effectively. The HENRY is simply not reliable. If it was a bolt action 8 shot .22 cal it would be a darn fine little rifle.
All that being said, very soon I will take it to a competent gunsmith and have him work it over to hopefully make it the rifle its designed to be.

GreyOne
07-27-2009, 04:18 AM
Just a note= I uploaded the AR-7 Survival Rifle Manual to the Archives . It is not the cleanest copy of photo's but does give a good parts diagram, and may be useful .

Pict
07-27-2009, 07:23 AM
Pict, love the single-shot. My youngest son has just decided that he is tired of saving up for yet another Lego set and wants to get a .22. Do you mind me asking how much one of those runs??

I haven't looked for one recently. I bought that one on sale at Cabelas for $95 + taxes/fees. It was a no-brainer.

The synthetic stock is also hollow... Mac

IllicitDreams
07-27-2009, 09:26 AM
I've always wanted an AR-7. I'm gonna have to look around and see if I can find me one.

Tomahawk
07-27-2009, 11:42 AM
Those are cool guns G1, I packed one of those on my canoe trip back in '83.

it came in handy when i got hungry and had to bag some tree rats.

great pics!

thanks for the post,

tomahawk

Sgt. Mac
07-27-2009, 12:10 PM
I'd like to get my hands on a M-6 scout for a pack gun

http://www.bushcraftusa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1148

IllicitDreams
07-27-2009, 12:11 PM
I'd like to get my hands on a M-6 scout for a pack gun

http://www.bushcraftusa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1148

I've got a guy at a local gun store keeping an eye out for one for me.

ForestNH/VT
07-27-2009, 12:17 PM
Forest, I hear what you're saying. I really like the "concept" of this gun and realize its definitely nowhere near Olympic capable. However, I just want it to feed rounds reliably and would be more than happy with 1 malfunction in 20. I can't abide by any firearm that shoots 1 in 8. Being ex-military, I KNOW how to clean a rifle and handle one effectively. The HENRY is simply not reliable. If it was a bolt action 8 shot .22 cal it would be a darn fine little rifle.
All that being said, very soon I will take it to a competent gunsmith and have him work it over to hopefully make it the rifle its designed to be.

Not sure if this is helpful or not, but I switched from Federal to CCI rounds and 95% of the misfeed problem went away.

GreyOne
07-27-2009, 12:40 PM
Not sure if this is helpful or not, but I switched from Federal to CCI rounds and 95% of the misfeed problem went away.

This may indeed help- rimfire semi auto's are often picky and prefer a certain type/brand or even lotnumber of ammo for both performance and accuracy.

Jäger
07-28-2009, 02:21 AM
G1, I've got an ar-7 as one of my truck guns also. I have 3 just because the local gun store over the years would get used one's in and I was able to pick them up from $75 to $100 and one appears to be in mint shape.

GreyOne
07-28-2009, 04:19 AM
Yes, they are worth picking up when priced reasonably. I think having two or three just provides for a ready source of spare parts <g>.
I have noticed that the AR-7 has dried up as far as used ones the last year or so, still keep my eye out for another one.

Pict
07-28-2009, 08:14 AM
Survival rifles is a whole class of firearms I could collect given time in the US and $$. I rarely buy guns anymore because I only spend 20% of my life in the US.

In Brazil they sell a 10 inch barrel Rossi pistol that converts between .22lr and .410 shotgun. Stocked pistols are legal in Brazil so you could make a 10 inch rifle/shotgun combo gun. Mac

GreyOne
07-28-2009, 12:12 PM
Survival rifles is a whole class of firearms I could collect given time in the US and $$. I rarely buy guns anymore because I only spend 20% of my life in the US.

In Brazil they sell a 10 inch barrel Rossi pistol that converts between .22lr and .410 shotgun. Stocked pistols are legal in Brazil so you could make a 10 inch rifle/shotgun combo gun. Mac

That would be a fun little foraging package. I have a TC Contender with the 10inch .22 LRbbl as well as a 45 Colt/ 410 bbl. It makes an awesome kit for hunting small game, and with good loads and short range the 45 Colt will take most Texas deer reliably.

Pict
07-28-2009, 01:16 PM
The main reason I haven't done this in Brazil is that hunting is banned and I know I would be tempted to get myself in trouble packing my ultimate survival rifle into some remote place for a vacation.

Back when the laws were far less restrictive I made it a habit to take my .38 revolver along, especially on solo trips or trips with my pre-teen daughter. Now it would be 2 years in jail for carrying a legally registered gun off your own property and I don't risk it anymore. If I had an awesome survival gun down there I would be a conflicted man and I can't have that. Mac

180deg Out
07-28-2009, 02:32 PM
G1, I had one I think it was a Charter Arms make, definitely an AR-7 and you are right about the fouling. I also had problems with feeding unless I used a really hi-powered round. CCI Stingers would work almost 100% of the time while Remington or Federal Hi-Velocity's would jam every two or three shots. I gave it to my brother, he took it to a gunsmith and he could find nothing to fix. Oh well. I traded for break down Snake Charmer .410 and haven't looked back.

GreyOne
07-28-2009, 07:25 PM
G1, I had one I think it was a Charter Arms make, definitely an AR-7 and you are right about the fouling. I also had problems with feeding unless I used a really hi-powered round. CCI Stingers would work almost 100% of the time while Remington or Federal Hi-Velocity's would jam every two or three shots. I gave it to my brother, he took it to a gunsmith and he could find nothing to fix. Oh well. I traded for break down Snake Charmer .410 and haven't looked back.

The AR-7 is a great concept, but the quality of execution has varied a lot, and frankly, the internal design is a bit on the anemic mousetrap side, leading it to be a rather finicky system even when well maintained. If you get a good one, and know the foibles of the design, it is a good little truck/ plane/ canoe/ backpack tool. When the above conditions are not met, it is a royal pain. ;)

Doc
07-28-2009, 08:14 PM
I have to admit..I am a lot more a fan of the AT-22 produced by Feather industries. Had one for years...that little thing was great for removing "pesky critters". it comes apart and worked flawlessly.

Jäger
07-28-2009, 09:51 PM
The AR-7 is a great concept, but the quality of execution has varied a lot, and frankly, the internal design is a bit on the anemic mousetrap side, leading it to be a rather finicky system even when well maintained. If you get a good one, and know the foibles of the design, it is a good little truck/ plane/ canoe/ backpack tool. When the above conditions are not met, it is a royal pain. ;)

G1, ditto on all of the above! It has a specific design mission and does well at that. Especially when you can find them used for $100 or less.

Jäger

Bushpuukko
08-22-2009, 10:23 PM
Grey One, just thought I'd let you know that I took my AR-7 to the range today to try out some new ammo. It is Remington Viper Truncated Cone .22 LR. It did wonders for my AR7. I shot 100 rounds and had ZERO malfunctions. Singles, doubles, and rapid fire made no difference. Saves me a trip to the gunsmith!

P.S. I cleaned the rifle thoroughly and lubricated it with spray Silicon. The HyperVelocity cartridges seemed to throw the bolt rearward with enough force to function properly. Thanks for the tips.

GreyOne
08-22-2009, 10:44 PM
Grey One, just thought I'd let you know that I took my AR-7 to the range today to try out some new ammo. It is Remington Viper Truncated Cone .22 LR. It did wonders for my AR7. I shot 100 rounds and had ZERO malfunctions. Singles, doubles, and rapid fire made no difference. Saves me a trip to the gunsmith!

P.S. I cleaned the rifle thoroughly and lubricated it with spray Silicon. The HyperVelocity cartridges seemed to throw the bolt rearward with enough force to function properly. Thanks for the tips.

Great ! How was the accuracy ? I would suspect it was at least twice the group size of the Model 5, but probably good minute of rabbit head out to 20 yards.

Bushpuukko
08-22-2009, 10:50 PM
Actually it surprised me how accurate it was. I'd take it squirrel/rabbit hunting and wouldn't hesitate to take it out to 40 yards. If my guess work was right, the far end of the range was 100 yards or so and I managed to hit a 2 liter soda bottle 5 shots out of 8. Doubt if I could SEE a rabbit at that distance! :D

GreyOne
08-22-2009, 10:53 PM
Actually it surprised me how accurate it was. I'd take it squirrel/rabbit hunting and wouldn't hesitate to take it out to 40 yards. If my guess work was right, the far end of the range was 100 yards or so and I managed to hit a 2 liter soda bottle 5 shots out of 8. Doubt if I could SEE a rabbit at that distance! :D

That is excellent work for such a small and rather unsupported barrel to do. You have a good combo there.
I would suggest laying in a brick or so of those Vipers, in the same lot if possible. :)

Whit Spurzon
08-29-2009, 10:29 AM
I really like the concept of the AR7 but my experience was poor with them. It was clunky and cheaply built. Very finicky about what ammo it liked and even then didn't prove reliable. I've heard of better quality versions but haven't actually owned one that was.

A take-down that I like is the Marlin Papoose.
http://www.myhostedpics.com/images/Pathfinder/papoosewithsimmonsscope.jpg
It is just a little heavier but a lot more robust. Trigger leaves some to be desired but the accuracy is quite good - even better than any stock 10/22 I've owned.

The rifle I use the most while out in the field is a Marlin Model 39 Mountie. It weighs twice as much as the Papoose but still breaks down small enough to fit inside a large day/overnight pack.

http://www.myhostedpics.com/images/Pathfinder/three39s.jpg
Top to bottom: Marlin model 39 with 24" barrel, Marlin 39 Mountie with 20" barrel and the Marlin Model 39 TDS with 16" barrel. All halve at the receiver without tools, are VERY well built, reliable and accurate. These have probably made more meat than my other rifles combined.

http://www.myhostedpics.com/images/Pathfinder/39mountieinthefield.jpg
Great for some informal plinking and target practice in the field.
http://www.myhostedpics.com/images/Pathfinder/rouseinlarch.jpg
The Mountie's magazine holds 15 lr rounds or five limits of these ;) Note: I took a picture of this one rather than invite him to dinner because he was skylined and wasn't going to budge unless I climbed up there and grabbed him.

Keyser Söze
08-29-2009, 10:49 AM
nice Marlins you have, the barrel on the 22 looks very long ? is 30" ?

Whit Spurzon
08-29-2009, 11:54 AM
nice Marlins you have, the barrel on the 22 looks very long ? is 30" ?

24" on the standard Model 39

kcatto
05-02-2012, 03:47 AM
I have a 24+ year old Charter Arms AR-7, the first gun I purchased all on my own, when I was 16.... I also got the explorer II pistol to go with it..... came as a set. for $169.00...

Neither one have ever given me an ounce of trouble.... I must have shot hundreds if not thousands of 22lr through the AR-7 over the years... just keep it clean, like any rifle and it works great.... I did build myself a bump die for my 22lr rounds and it helped in feeding and accuracy in all of my 22's....

riverman
05-02-2012, 04:20 PM
I certainly would not pay that for one, but have not priced them lately. The current Henry version is apparently so hag ridden with faults that perhaps the older models are worth a premium if you want one.

I own a older Henry AR-7....but the new one are better than ever,and have a nicer barrel takedown system.

10mm_Bob
05-02-2012, 05:42 PM
I have the Henry as well. Flawless if you read the manual and don't use crappy ammo. High velocity ONLY. CCI Stingers are flawless in it.

JC1
05-02-2012, 06:12 PM
seems to me that a survival rifle should be able to shoot more than one type/brand of ammo

GreyOne
05-02-2012, 06:15 PM
seems to me that a survival rifle should be able to shoot more than one type/brand of ammo

Mine will.

The guns function best with high velocity plated ammo. Not an unusual preference in semi- auto guns. CCI is simply one of the most common brands that fill the bill.

rdec
05-02-2012, 06:20 PM
"a survival rifle should be able to shoot more than one type/brand of ammo"

That's true, but it is more likely in a survival sitation you will shoot what you have (not many gun shops will be around while you are surviving) and what you have is what works best with that gun.

However, that is one advantage that guns like the M-6, revolvers or single shots have.

Whatever happened to the single shot sporting pistol? They used to be common but I haven't seen one in a very long time.

Juice
05-02-2012, 06:54 PM
I too would love a single shot .22 pistol. Sometimes I wonder what is going on in the sporting world.

10mm_Bob
05-02-2012, 07:25 PM

It will. Just not reliably. You'll have to clear jams etc. with the lower velocity stuff. The spring is fairly stiff, and the high vel rounds actuate it with enough force for proper function, but the low vel stuff won't. It's a specific type of gun for a specific function. Definitely NOT an everyday plinker that you shoot bricks of low vel ammo through. You'll hate it if you try that.

The directions in the manual clearly state that you should only feed it high velocity ammo. It's not "brand" specific...it's "velocity" specific. I like CCI Stingers, but I'm sure other high velocity stuff will work too.

kcatto
05-02-2012, 08:00 PM
mine will shoot just about anything..... since it is a simple blow back design, it needs a hotter round to cycle the bolt.... i did put lighter springs in mine and it cycles everything but the calibri and cb cap stuff.... but it eat up all the cheap federal 555 ammo...

Zornt
05-03-2012, 07:04 AM
One quick little mod people used to do was to drill out the peep site with a 1/8 " drill bit. This opened it up just a tad and gives a better site picture..

Sawdust and Splinters
05-03-2012, 08:08 AM
I tested an older one for a man a few years back who had bought one in case of an emergency. He couldnt see to well any more and wanted to know how accurate it was. I beleive I put some golden bullets through it and some winchester x-perts. Accuracy was fine, feeding was fine, but it did have a very rough trigger pull for a rifle.

Two Bears
05-03-2012, 10:20 AM
Most of the reviews I've read about the Henry version have been good, I want one of these rifles. It seems that a lot people are getting the reviews of the Henry version mixed up with the other two company's that have made this gun, I am old enough to remember the terrible reviews that this gun got when the other two company's made them so I never bought one way back then.

Two Bears
05-03-2012, 10:43 AM
I'm checking out the AT-22 right now, I think I like it better than the AR-7.

Charlie_X
05-03-2012, 11:46 AM
I may just have to get one of these newer Henry AR-7s for myself.

joe305
05-03-2012, 11:51 AM
those are nice...there is one for sale down here for $210.00

ShellbackBill
05-03-2012, 12:00 PM
This is one of my long time truck guns, stays stowed in the truck nearly all the time.

Main component groups:
http://i361.photobucket.com/albums/oo58/GreyOne1/07%2009/P1000735.jpg

The first gun I ever bought was an Armelite AR-7. I bought it while I was in the Navy and kept it in my locker in the barracks, for several weeks, before I got an apartment.

I still have it.

One of my future project plans is to build a "holster" on the side of my backpack that will hold that AR-7 assembled or stored in the stock.

I want it so I can reach over my shoulder, and pull it out so I can pop a rabbit, should one happen to find itself on the same trail as me.

hunter63
05-03-2012, 12:01 PM
I picked one up at a show....cheap, sort of a rescue project....LOL.

Still jambs up, after a new mag from Henry, and a repair on the bolt.
Haven't shot two shots in a row ...yet....something to play with...
New one at Cabalas for $210 last time I looked.....

We will see,..... I have a ruger 10/22 take down on order.

riverman
05-03-2012, 03:42 PM
Most of the reviews I've read about the Henry version have been good, I want one of these rifles. It seems that a lot people are getting the reviews of the Henry version mixed up with the other two company's that have made this gun, I am old enough to remember the terrible reviews that this gun got when the other two company's made them so I never bought one way back then.

Keep in mind ...there are 2 henry versions.Pre-2011and post 2011.The "new henry is much improved.It has much tighter tolerances and a new barrel takedown system. It uses a metal pin to locate the barrel,improved butstock storage, and I have been told improved receiver springs.It still uses the same crappy sights. My buddies shoots much more accurate than my older henry. I can't tell about feeding,as mine feeds good.

Sambo
05-03-2012, 05:51 PM
Sorry mate not a fan of take down rifle I swap it any time with a .22 cricket and save my money, you see in the long run all this put on and take out is not good for the rifle and any one over 40s will tell you the same

wsdstan
05-03-2012, 05:55 PM

At a gunshow a couple of weeks ago an AR-7 in good shape was priced at $275. I don't know how rare they are but I seldom see the older ones for sale anywhere.

GreyOne
05-03-2012, 05:56 PM

I think they have improved a good bit, but when they first came out, the Henry version was quickly labeled as out house material. I knew two people who bought them, and were very unhappy with the poor quality and performance. They had both owned earlier AR 7 rifles so were not holding unrealistic expectations.

Friends in the gun business were quickly put off, and would not stock them, telling customers "special order only" and NO refunds.

The Charter version had similar bouts of QC trouble. Mine is an acceptable shooter, both in reliability and accuracy, for my uses.

Henry may be getting them right now, haven't looked at one in a long time. :)

shadowmib
05-03-2012, 06:34 PM
I was in Academy the other day and the clerk showed me one of these. Had never seen it before. I might pick it up sometime

riverman
05-03-2012, 08:02 PM
Sorry mate not a fan of take down rifle I swap it any time with a .22 cricket and save my money, you see in the long run all this put on and take out is not good for the rifle and any one over 40s will tell you the same

I am over 40, and I have to agree....but keep in mind,the AR7 is sort of like a Altoids tin survival kit. You are not using it every day...only for emergancy's.

rdec
05-03-2012, 09:24 PM
"all this put on and take out is not good for the rifle"

Single and double barrel rifles and shotguns are routinely broken down and cased and last for years - generations - without a problem UNLESS you are hamhanded in the doing. Being lightweight, the AR-7 needs gentle handling in assemby/disassemby. With that it, too, will last for generations.
P.S. I'm considerably over 40, almost twice over 40.