PDA

View Full Version : Herbs and vitamins

TwinBlade
03-11-2011, 12:41 AM
Had a great discussion with Plains Woman regarding some articles she is writing and publishing, and her continuing endeavor in this field. While her humility is certainly commendable regarding her expertise, it got me to thinking that the topic of natural remedies, including herbs and vitamins, teas and the like would be an exceptional addition for a subforum to this website. I understand it could fall "generally" into some other categories, but this is a large topic, with a massive following...or so I am learning. I think it would be an exceptional addition to have a subforum like this, given the knowledge base of current active members.

JMHO. Thanks for the consideration to the mod team.

Jeff

Dink
03-11-2011, 03:06 AM
+1

When out camping, its nice to know what plants can be thrown in the stew pot for dinner...but its also nice to know what works for making a tea to treat a headache or backache or such as well. Sure beats packing a bunch of extra stuff you may not need or use. Like getting a cut, need something to help stop blood flow and keep infection out...comfry and other things work...but do some know this, or what it looks like, much less how to use it?

GREAT idea TB...

Thunder 9
03-11-2011, 08:39 AM
+1 more.

Sawdust and Splinters
03-11-2011, 09:24 AM
Good idea, just hope the ones who dont believe in it can just avoid it rather than bashing.

mjh
03-11-2011, 09:55 AM
Keeping things informative rather than proscriptive is important in my opinion. I'm willing to do some research and learning and sharing. I take and use herbs and supplements. I'm willing to share my experience. I'm not so willing to tell someone to take this or that and how much or how often. I'm not a qualified herbalist or practictioner and therefore I don't think I'm qualified to be proscriptive in my advise. There's alot of stuff out there that works but must be used properly for the individual.

TwinBlade
03-11-2011, 10:35 AM
Good idea, just hope the ones who dont believe in it can just avoid it rather than bashing.

Given the quality of folks on the board, I sincerely doubt that would happen. I don't take herbs and stuff, just a multi vitamin every day. But I am far from opposed to learning.

I will draw the line at mood rocks though...

:D

Plains Woman
03-11-2011, 10:37 AM

This I agree with.

I think it would be fun to have a natural health forum. I don't claim to be an expert but I have studied and used herbs and supplements for over 20 years. That said, I am sure I can learn a great deal from the other members here. :)

Plains Woman
03-11-2011, 10:39 AM
I will draw the line at mood rocks though...

:9:

I don't use mood rocks.

TwinBlade
03-11-2011, 10:40 AM
:9:

I don't use mood rocks.

Maybe you should start. I don't like your attitude right now...

Plains Woman
03-11-2011, 10:43 AM
Maybe you should start. I don't like your attitude right now...

Don't make me come over there... :58: You might get your butt kicked. ;)

TwinBlade
03-11-2011, 10:44 AM
Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned.

I am going to simply walk away while I have everything relatively attached.

Plains Woman
03-11-2011, 10:46 AM
Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned.

I am going to simply walk away while I have everything relatively attached.

Ah, see...I knew you were a smart guy. ;)

AaronMB
03-11-2011, 10:49 AM
Keeping things informative rather than proscriptive is important in my opinion. I'm willing to do some research and learning and sharing. I take and use herbs and supplements. I'm willing to share my experience. I'm not so willing to tell someone to take this or that and how much or how often. I'm not a qualified herbalist or practictioner and therefore I don't think I'm qualified to be proscriptive in my advise. There's alot of stuff out there that works but must be used properly for the individual.

This is a good point. While a specific sub-forum could be cool, this may be an area that needs some careful thought first: most of us would be smart enough to take the info at face value but there's always going to be someone who doesn't do enough homework and something 'bad' happens. I don't mean to be a doubter here, and I think we all should be accountable for our own actions...but, it'd be terrible if someone ate something lethal because they got the [wrong] idea here, thinking the info they [thought] they knew was enough. "Fire" and "blade" skills practice can be dangerous, obviously, but those are two topics where common sense really should be common enough; people "know" that stuff is dangerous and will by default blame the "user." Food/plant resources/skills practice, is, in my opinion, kind of a different story. There needs to be some pretty big fine print for such a sub-forum if it is created.

Plains Woman
03-11-2011, 11:02 AM
This is a good point. While a specific sub-forum could be cool, this may be an area that needs some careful thought first: most of us would be smart enough to take the info at face value but there's always going to be someone who doesn't do enough homework and something 'bad' happens. I don't mean to be a doubter here, and I think we all should be accountable for our own actions...but, it'd be terrible if someone ate something lethal because they got the [wrong] idea here, thinking the info they [thought] they knew was enough. "Fire" and "blade" skills practice can be dangerous, obviously, but those are two topics where common sense really should be common enough; people "know" that stuff is dangerous and will by default blame the "user." Food/plant resources/skills practice, is, in my opinion, kind of a different story. There needs to be some pretty big fine print for such a sub-forum if it is created.

This is another good point.

In all of my articles I state that any herbs or supplements should be discussed with your doctor. If you take any meds you should keep in mind that some herbs will interact with meds. There may also be contraindications in the case of health issues that could be exacerbated by certain herbs.

All that said, herbs are still far safer than any lab made drug. Side effects from herbs are rare and often due to them not being taken properly. Herbs are natural but natural does not always mean safe if they are not taken in the correct way.

TwinBlade
03-11-2011, 11:16 AM
All the more reason to open up a discussion subforum.

We educate on knives, firearms, self made goods, the safety of firearms and cutting tools, how to keep you alive in a winter night alone in the cold, the ability to survive etc.

I don't see how herbs and natural remedies are any different. If someone wants to learn, which I think a lot of folks do or it wouldn't be so popular, I think, in the spirit of teaching and discussion, it is a viable topic. Especially from a safety standpoint.

JMO

Sawdust and Splinters
03-11-2011, 11:36 AM
People should also be advised to study any herb that they are interested in further than just here. I seek out info from several books, some on line before I ever start trying something new myself, I would hope that most people are responsible enough to do the same. It might be nice if one who is a little more knowledgeable could somewhat monitor the subforum. This may help warn, or keep off some of the more dangerous herbs that sometimes do have uses. I would prefer to see the more dangerous stuff just kept off.

Earl
03-11-2011, 03:07 PM
Great idea; a subject I know very little about, but would like to learn.

snakedoctor
03-13-2011, 03:19 PM
+1 if anything put a lable like plainswoman does in her articals. Every survivor or bushcraft show has an herb they discuss with it madicnle (sp didnt try) uses, just like all the books too.

Ironwood
03-13-2011, 03:48 PM
Good idea, My Grandmother used to call it med-sin. Instead of medicine. I always loved that about her.:57: i think I am starting to get the flu. Have a mild temp.

Nerual the Mad
03-13-2011, 04:11 PM
I've been doing some studying myself over the past year. I think a sub-forum for this kind of discussion would be a great idea.

Plains Woman
03-13-2011, 04:13 PM
+1 if anything put a lable like plainswoman does in her articals. Every survivor or bushcraft show has an herb they discuss with it madicnle (sp didnt try) uses, just like all the books too.

My eyes must be tired. I read that as "put a label on Plains Woman." I was gonna say Honey I am good medicine. No warning label needed. :D Well, okay...maybe a small warning. ;)

Good idea, My Grandmother used to call it med-sin. Instead of medicine. I always loved that about her.:57: i think I am starting to get the flu. Have a mild temp.

Elderberry syrup, garlic tea and vitamin D! Stat! BTW, fever is good. The elevated temperature kills the bug that is making you sick (unless you get over 102-ish - some say 104 is the limit.).

snakedoctor
03-13-2011, 04:31 PM
My eyes must be tired. I read that as "put a label on Plains Woman." I was gonna say Honey I am good medicine. No warning label needed. :D Well, okay...maybe a small warning. ;)

Elderberry syrup, garlic tea and vitamin D! Stat! BTW, fever is good. The elevated temperature kills the bug that is making you sick (unless you get over 102-ish - some say 104 is the limit.).

You are now my favorite forum member! :D