PDA

View Full Version : What country makes the best wool blankets?

SluggySlugworth
03-12-2011, 07:39 PM
Im interested in buying a surplus wool blanket. My question is what country has the highest quality/warm wool blankets? I did a search for this and I got alot of "how to remove moth ball smell from Italian wool blankets" threads. So what country makes the best wool blankets, is it the Swedish, Russians, Italians, Germans, USA or some other country?

GreyOne
03-12-2011, 08:19 PM
Suspect it depends on whhat your criteria are for "best".

Size, weight per square inch,softness , durability, - all are factors,and there are usually trade offs.

brionic
03-12-2011, 08:35 PM
There are differences. But most are similar. Best bet is to pick one and see how you like it.

I picked up a pair of the "swedish" blankets from Sportsman's Guide and can find no fault with them. They are not as "nice" as my Swiss blanket, but are close enough that most people wouldn't know the difference.

bleeding.patriot
03-12-2011, 08:39 PM
The Italian blankets are about right for field use. They have a tight weave that should hold up well in the woods. It does take a few months to get the mothball smell out.

I have a pair of Swedish Officer wool blankets that are super soft and warm but are too nice to drag through the woods.

One Legged Josh
03-12-2011, 08:52 PM
I have some VERY expensive wool, from Hudson bay, and pearce. They put any surplus blanket that I have had to shame. I found them at yardsales! I could never pay retail for them ($279 per) but keep your eyes open for them! I got one for $10.

HoosierArcher
03-12-2011, 08:55 PM
If you see a blanket from any country and it is listed as an "Officer's" blanket and they can certify it. That is the blanket to get. The blankets officers get are softer higher loft wool, especially in Italy.
I got an alpaca wool blanket off eBay for the price of most surplus blankets and it's the softest and warmest for the weight(it's pretty light) blanket I've ever used.
I am very upset that The American military has stopped using wool in blankets and long underwear, gloves and sweaters.

SluggySlugworth
03-12-2011, 09:04 PM
Suspect it depends on whhat your criteria are for "best".

Size, weight per square inch,softness , durability, - all are factors,and there are usually trade offs.

An excellent point, my biggest criteria is warmth first and then durability, I can handle the extra weight, and even it being itchy.

GreyOne
03-12-2011, 09:08 PM
The Italian blankets are contenders- pretty heavy, and durable, but a bit coarser (itchier) than some.

Old Philosopher
03-12-2011, 09:10 PM
All my wool shirts are Pendleton. I actually have the one given to me when I was 4. :p
I believe their quality has remained about the same over the years.

One Legged Josh
03-12-2011, 09:13 PM
All my wool shirts are Pendleton. I actually have the one given to me when I was 4. :p
I believe their quality has remained about the same over the years.

My Dad has a huge green Pendleton , and I guarantee it weighs 12 or 14 pounds! It is a monster.

Old Philosopher
03-12-2011, 09:23 PM
My Dad has a huge green Pendleton , and I guarantee it weighs 12 or 14 pounds! It is a monster.
That would be a Pendleton Mackinaw. A jacket, almost a coat. WONDERFUL!
Pendleton makes regular shirts, though. If you look at this link you won't believe they are all wool!

Pendleton Woolens (http://www.pendleton-usa.com/category/Men/WOVEN-SHIRTS/1752/pc/1814.uts)

SluggySlugworth
03-12-2011, 09:36 PM
Well gentlemen, thanks for all of your help. I've decided to go for the Italian wool blankets, that is as soon as I find a place that has them in stock. :cool:

wsdstan
03-12-2011, 10:21 PM
I have a Hudson Bay blanket, four point, and its pretty good but I don't have enough experience with New Zealand and Britain wool blankets to make a judgement. I have no idea where the wool originated for the Hudson Bay blanket. There are a lot of sheep in South Dakota, maybe thats where the best wool comes from. :57:

One Legged Josh
03-12-2011, 10:31 PM
That would be a Pendleton Mackinaw. A jacket, almost a coat. WONDERFUL!
Pendleton makes regular shirts, though. If you look at this link you won't believe they are all wool!

Pendleton Woolens (http://www.pendleton-usa.com/category/Men/WOVEN-SHIRTS/1752/pc/1814.uts)

I was actually talking about a blanket. Its a King size, 108" X 90"

Old Philosopher
03-12-2011, 10:47 PM
I have a Hudson Bay blanket, four point, and its pretty good but I don't have enough experience with New Zealand and Britain wool blankets to make a judgement. I have no idea where the wool originated for the Hudson Bay blanket. There are a lot of sheep in South Dakota, maybe thats where the best wool comes from. :57:
The best wool comes from Marion sheep. They started out in N. America in Vermont.
Hudson Bay point Blanket:
Depending on size and colour, newly made blankets retail at between Canadian $275 and $475 . Today the point blankets are made in England by John Atkinson, a sub brand of A.W. Hainsworth & Sons Ltd. (re: wiki)

I was actually talking about a blanket. Its a King size, 108" X 90"

Probably don't want a Pendleton. About $375 for the King. :eek:

A GI surplus blanket is looking better all the time, price wise!

walkabout
03-12-2011, 11:04 PM
For the backwoods its hard to beat the durabilty of the italian military blanket, there bomb proof, warm, and itchy as balls, but when the temps drop and your wrapped inside it you forget about the coarseness right quick, i washed the one i have now in fabric softner and dryer sheeted the bejesus out of it and that helped alot, there are an excellent durable blanket, they make excellent anoraks as well, pik sent me a blanket last year when i was out of work and putting together some gear on the cheap, that guy can work wonders with an italian blanket let me tell ya!

santaman2000
03-12-2011, 11:50 PM
If you see a blanket from any country and it is listed as an "Officer's" blanket and they can certify it. That is the blanket to get. The blankets officers get are softer higher loft wool, especially in Italy.
I got an alpaca wool blanket off eBay for the price of most surplus blankets and it's the softest and warmest for the weight(it's pretty light) blanket I've ever used.
I am very upset that The American military has stopped using wool in blankets and long underwear, gloves and sweaters.

Yeah I grouched about that too. I finally realized why they did though. They had been looking for decades for something that wasn't as prone to static charge as wool. It just isn't safe for G.I.s working near open fuel tanks, munitions,etc.

Kotteman
03-13-2011, 03:11 AM
The best wool comes from Sweden! If you want a wool fabric that's windproof, water resistant, durable and warm you should look after VADMAL, it's an old 100%wool fabric similar to the fabric in the Swedish army wool pants (but they are not 100%wool they have 5% rayon in it) and I think it's similar to the fabric used in rely old army clothing (1900 century old).
But i think it's quite impossible get your hands on it if your not in Scandinavia at the moment...

kgd
03-13-2011, 09:10 PM
I'm quite happy with my British Boar blanket.

Moondog55
03-14-2011, 05:32 AM
Real personal protection

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370467659365&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I cannot afford one, but there are enough in every country fire truck for each crew and a spare, they are warm for sleeping too

Moondog55
03-14-2011, 05:35 AM
Yeah I grouched about that too. I finally realized why they did though. They had been looking for decades for something that wasn't as prone to static charge as wool. It just isn't safe for G.I.s working near open fuel tanks, munitions,etc.

Wool and static charges?? why not just use static discharge boots and shoes?? My personal experience is that it is the polyester underwear and pile jackets that cause the static, wool is my fabric of choice over here for work but it is so expensive ( if not made in C******** )

matt.s
03-14-2011, 06:02 AM
I really rate the Dutch surplus blankets.

mainewoods
03-14-2011, 08:36 AM
I have a few Italian blankets ( I like them) hold up well for me.

redrob
03-14-2011, 10:26 AM
I have a French one which I got mainly because it was bigger. It's also slightly softer and didn't come with the smell. The Italian one is probably warmer, but I live in Texas.

Rob

walkabout
03-14-2011, 07:31 PM
I have a French one which I got mainly because it was bigger. It's also slightly softer and didn't come with the smell. The Italian one is probably warmer, but I live in Texas.

Rob

I have and use a french wool blanket in my den for when im sitting in front of the fireplace reading(its green with a yellow 88 sewn on it),
it is heavy as hell but is sized to smuggle illegal immigrants jk!
i forgot all about it till you mentioned it and its sitting folded on my rocker five feet from me, it is also an excellent choice if you dont mind the weight.

dddddddaann
04-10-2011, 02:46 PM
hey! lol, where did you get your sweedish officers blankets? ive been looking for days! your lucky!

Ridge Runner
04-10-2011, 06:38 PM
I really rate the Dutch surplus blankets.

Have a source? I have one and would love to find another one. What does yours look like?

Ridge Runner
04-10-2011, 06:39 PM
I really like the German Bund blankets. Large, heavy and warm.

Otony
04-10-2011, 08:35 PM
While I really should be more economical about purchasing wool blankets and clothing, I absolutely hate to order woolen surplus stuff through the mail, as it is a crap shoot as to what will arrive. A week or two back a Korean War wool army shirt arrived from Gunnys Surplus and it was a complete piece of junk, we couldn't even salvage it for cloth to make small items. And unfortunately we have only one surplus store within two hours drive from us (that only sells rough emergency blankets of wool and ?), so it is not simply a matter of picking it up at the local Army/Navy store. We are in the sticks, not a large urban area, and happily prefer it that way even without a good surplus supply.

As a result we either buy new, commercial products or make our own (my wife is a professional seamstress, heh-heh). Which means we still need a source for material and blankets. Thankfully we only live about 45 minutes due North of Pendleton, OR. In the summer we take the kids swimming there at the municipal pools, and usually stop by the Woolen Mill every few weeks or so.

Why, you ask? Seconds! Pendleton sells their blanket seconds right in the mill showroom for a very generous discount. And a second doesn't always mean lesser quality, each blanket is marked for its specific issue and it is often a very minor defect.

For example, a second can be a blanket that came up as little as a half inch short in length or width. Or the colors might be off a bit, more green that blue perhaps. Sometimes a stripe will be interrupted in the pattern. Occasionally there are blankets with thin spots which we obviously avoid, but the rest are first rate insofar as quality.

Another thing is that there are blankets in the showroom that do not seem to be available through their catalog, simpler patterns or limited runs. No matter how you slice it, a new American made blanket is typically better quality that surplus of questionable content and provenance. Plus they sell woolen fabric for making shirts, etc, also at discount at times.

Not trying to sound snobby, as I would happily buy the vaunted Italian blankets if I could look at one, but by the time I pay shipping (and maybe dry-cleaning) I am not too terribly far off from the price of a Pendleton second. It is really relaxing to walk into a huge room piled high with soft, wool blankets, by the way. Gives you a nice feeling of contentment........

We like wool, a lot, and use it through the cooler months and winter as a matter of course. A source like the Mill is something to be treasured, and trust me, we do!

windowman100
04-10-2011, 09:19 PM
Good info on wool blankets, thanks

MK-9
04-10-2011, 09:24 PM
What country makes the best wool blankets?

Not sure. My guess is whoever has the warmest sheep on average. :4:

shdybrady
04-10-2011, 09:41 PM
Not tring to hijack the thread. But what is a warm, light, soft wool blanket. Im not looking for super lightweight. But something comfortable to hike for miles.

Trekon86
04-10-2011, 09:52 PM
In general, good wool blankets are not lightweight, esp. 100% woollens.

PMZ

shdybrady
04-10-2011, 10:00 PM
its the fine if they are on the heavy side. But after reading this they say some are on the light side some are rediculously heavy. I dont want the super heavy ones.

Crossed Arrows
04-10-2011, 10:34 PM
My wife and I visited the Pendleton Woolen Mills in Oregon last summer and bought a beautiful, thick, soft woolen blanket in queen size. We kept it on the bed all winter and commented frequently how much we like it and that we should have bought a dozen, they are so good a $85. I can compare this blanket to my Italian surplus wool and the Pendleton is far superior.

In Fort Collins, CO there is a wonderful store called JAX Outdoor. They have an excellent surplus department where they normally have several military surplus blankets to choose from for very reasonable prices. You might look for their website and if they don't have blamkets available there, call them.

TuhonBillMcg
04-11-2011, 12:08 AM
Hi Folks,

I went looking online for a source for new 100% mil spec blankets and found this company:

http://www.northwestwoolen.com/institutional.htm#wool

Here's the email exchange I had with their sales rep:

To: paulette@northwestwoolen.com
Subject: Individual orders

Hi Paulette,

I belong to a primitive camping group that often uses wool blankets for
our trips. I'm sure our members would be interested in your company's
100% wool military spec blanket

Does your company sell these blankets retail or only wholesale? If the
later, what is the minimum order?

Thank you,
Bill McGrath

Thank you for your inquiry.
We have 100% wool blankets in olive green at $32.00 each plus shipping.
Minimum order for your group would be 24 blankets.
Regards,
Paulette

So guys, are there 23 other people up for a group order and if so, how do we arrange the logistics of it all? Would the BC Outfitter store be interested in carrying these if enough of us pre-order?

Regards,
Bill McGrath

bigbore442001
04-11-2011, 05:15 AM
I would like to jump in on that deal. It is too bad that you don't see this for sale in a regular department store. That is a good deal but all too often you see shoddy imports.

I wish they had an outlet store.

DarbyFett
04-11-2011, 05:35 AM
I wonder how much shipping would be for that many wool blankets. Any idea of the size?

easy
04-11-2011, 09:10 AM
http://www.armynavysales.com/products/israeli-blanket?F_Sort=2
I have found this to be a good blanket for the price.

Otony
04-11-2011, 10:43 AM
Bill,

I am in for two if 100% wool, however, will they ship to each individual or a bulk ship to an appointed designee? There would be the expense and hassle of repackaging and sending out to the various forum members to consider.

Thanks for looking around, BTW!

DeriusT
04-11-2011, 12:33 PM
The best blanket hands down for woods, camping, survival, hard-use that is an authentic surplus blanket that I have ever used are the Italian Military ones. 100% wool, bullet proof, strong and warm. I have yet to find a surplus blanket or any blanket for that matter for under $200-300+ dollars that can even touch them. Get as many as you can afford if you can find them. They are getting scarce.

shdybrady
04-11-2011, 01:08 PM
they wouldnt have to worry about a second party shipping. You could get the 25 orders up and ask if the company would be willing to drop ship them to each idividual

HoosierArcher
04-11-2011, 01:20 PM
A little searching on the net and you could find 100% alpaca blankets selling for about the same as surplus blankets. Alpaca is ounce per ounce one of the warmest wools and yet it is also one of the softest most hypoallergetic(sp?)wool. I used one for my first camping trip of the year to Kentucky. It got down to near freezing and with just that blanket over me in my sweat suit pajamas with a alpace chullo for a night cap I was toasty warm. Two layered would be good below zero I think. Especially with a waffle or net blanket between them to increase loft. This is just my opinion haven't tested it yet.
As far as military surplus Officer's blankets from Italy, Sweden and Germany are all softer, thicker and warmer than what enlisted men get. Israeli Blankets are pretty good if my memory is serving me properly. Remember it gets cold in the desert at night all year round.

Puffer
04-11-2011, 02:44 PM
If "surplus" the ???
But My Wool blankets ( 4) are HBC ( point blankets ) $$$ now days, but are avail for less if you look.
(also have a Capote.) I use them both for the field & on my bed @ home.

I also own a few Pendletons, that I use as "stadium blankets"

Puffer

mischief
04-11-2011, 05:59 PM
Iceland,most if not all are tight and hand woven,at least at one time they were.Next question

Clarence Davidson
04-17-2011, 03:43 PM
While once common, you'll have to hunt for them now, but surplus French wool military blankets are quite good. They can be found in a couple of sizes. You can really wrap up in the large ones, but the smaller one barely cover a cot. They can be found in both brown and green. The brown ones blend right into the woods. The green ones are more of an evergreen shade and would blend best where that shade is more common.

Strider
04-20-2011, 02:10 AM
Not the best I'm sure for rough use, but I've wanted one for many, many years so today I finally pulled the trigger and bought myself a Pendleton Robe. So beautiful, puts my HBC's to shame. Wish I could put up a pix, but mine is called the "Big Medicine". Imna have sweet dreams tonight.

thecrill
04-16-2012, 02:12 PM
http://www.orgonelab.org/cart/yblankets.htm The cost is $149.00 plus shipping. They were available as of yesterday, 4/15/2012. Good luck my friend!

Quill
04-16-2012, 02:30 PM
The best blankets I have ever come across are the genuine Navajo ones. Sadly I can't afford one.

DeriusT
04-22-2012, 07:55 AM
I did happen to find a good Dutch surplus blanket. Only thing I have found yet that I would rank up there with the Italian ones. (same wonderful smell too!)

chinookpilot77
04-25-2012, 06:55 AM
I have a pair of Swedish Officer wool blankets that are super soft and warm but are too nice to drag through the woods.

That's why you get an enlisted guy or two to carry all your stuff in the woods. hehehe ;)

mongo1958
04-29-2012, 09:11 PM
I have a few Italian blankets ( I like them) hold up well for me.

I realy like the Italian blankets. The weave is tight and they are durable.