PDA

View Full Version : Ideas to get kids excited in bushcraft

jokeswithu
03-26-2011, 01:35 PM
Asking for thoughts on new thread or forum for our young bushcraters. Last week I wanted to start training for a backpacking trip I've been planning for this summer. Since I live in a small town and no real land of my own to hike. Me and my two kids hiked from my house to our local park. The kids didn't complain like you would think for a 10 year old boy and my daughter who is 13. We loaded our backpacks and walked atleast 6 miles round trip. I'm sure we looked funny to all people in their cars going by lol. When we got to the park we sat up a tarp tent, had a picnic,and played a card game called phase 10. It was a fun and rememberable day, I'd thought to share so as to get more ideas from you. Thanks for your thoughts, Ron

PMSteve
03-26-2011, 03:04 PM
Firemaking always was something that grabbed my attention when I was that age. Teach them to make fire without matches. Start with a ferro rod and work up to friction fires.

Cooking over the fire they just made. Sit down and discuss / plan out one pot meals that each can cook on their own with the idea being that their creations will be tested / tasted by the others and graded for taste and ease of preparation.

Making simple shelters can be fun to do in the yard or city park. Pitching a tent or tarp shelter for the practice can be fun.

The more fun you make it for them, the less work you'll have to do at the campsite! :dblthumb:

sarge1967
03-26-2011, 03:18 PM
I got both of my youngest and my oldest stepson knives. They love to whittle. It keeps my 6 year old occupied for hours. (NO SMALL FEAT!) They love geocaching as well. I know it is not Bushcraft but it blends well with our outings. My daughter loves building fires. I won't let the six year old do that yet. This spring I am gonna work with them on building natural shelters.

Sent from my Ally using Tapatalk

The Warning
03-26-2011, 04:36 PM
My son loves to hear about the prowess of America's native peoples, and their almost spiritual connection with the land. Knowing that a boy his age could stalk and kill a deer blows his mind.

Nerual the Mad
03-26-2011, 04:45 PM
Big thing for my girls is fire making. They are 8 and 14 and love getting things together to make fire. Go slow and don't push. Make it exciting and an adventure. If you see they aren't having fun let them do something else. Last year we foraged for wild edibles and they had a blast. The big day was when the berries where ripe and we spent the day picking and eating. Just my 2. Enjoy...

FreedomFox
03-26-2011, 05:20 PM
Books about the outdoors are a favorite with my 3 year old. She loves to find things like rocks and sticks and leaves so it becomes like a treasure hunt when we are out. When I travel I bring her back natural things from where I went. She is so excited about the piece of wood I was whittling at my last camp out. I think kids learn from their parents so if the parents are excited about the outdoors their kids will be.

solocanoe
03-26-2011, 05:45 PM
fire. fishing. fire. camping. fire. hiking. fire.

did I mention a kid can feed sticks into a campfire endlessly? :D

shoot
03-26-2011, 05:53 PM
The big draw topics for me when I have taught in the past are:
1. Fire making methods - the fire pistons seem to draw them the best - that and fire steels
2. Cordage Making - some not so much but once they learn it they don't put it down until they get a "rope" made.
3. Shelter Building
4. Eating funny stuff - new meats, and some insects.

BoBo
03-26-2011, 06:02 PM
fire. fishing. fire. camping. fire. hiking. fire.

did I mention a kid can feed sticks into a campfire endlessly? :D

I have to agree with solo on this one. My four yr old with sit by the fire for hrs with me.

Reader
03-27-2011, 01:28 AM
Another vote for fire, I have two boys (now adults) and two daughters (9 and 7) and they all liked learning about the fire. gathering the fuel, lighting the fire and cooking over it are great instant gratification.

johncarbaugh
03-27-2011, 01:46 AM
Make up a scavenger hunt sheet. List things like animals, tracks, kinds of plants, tinder, and one thing I always add is trash. Teach them to not only take theres out but clean up others to.
And FIRE FIRE. Natures TV.

colorado
03-27-2011, 03:02 AM
I agree with johncarbaugh. (You beat me to it, John). I got each one of my girls "possibles" bags from JAX. They are messenger type, canvas bags that they got to pick out themselves. We filled them with age appropriate things for being out and about, and of course things to spend time alone, God forbid we all got seperated. But one of the first things we did was put together a scavenger hunt and they loved it. We found bones, plants, feathers..etc. My girls are hooked on camping since we started taking them at a very early age. Lucky me!! Hope it lasts.

jean baptiste
03-27-2011, 03:34 AM
hi
they can make a whimmy diddle ! it's easy and very fun

YouTube - Making a Whimmy Diddle (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BV5wciLDRMQ)