PDA

View Full Version : M7 shoulder holster

Sgt. Mac
04-05-2011, 09:48 AM
I dont post allot in the firearm section Gang so be gentle :p Do any of you field a M7 Shoulder holster? I got one for my 45 the other day, and it seems to be a comfortable carry

rob/saltrock
04-05-2011, 10:10 AM
i use the older model M3 i think, just one strap. i like it alot, it fits my .45 and mys&w .22

Panzer
04-05-2011, 10:13 AM
I had one and really liked how it carried but it was a super tight fit for my Springfield. So I got rid of it. If anyone knows of a good maker of these I would be interested. I originally got mine from Cheaper then Dirt.

Sgt. Mac
04-05-2011, 10:16 AM
I had one and really liked how it carried but it was a super tight fit for my Springfield. So I got rid of it. If anyone knows of a good maker of these I would be interested. I originally got mine from Cheaper then Dirt.

I got mine off of Flea-bay Panz. Old GI stock, and well broke in

ezra45
04-05-2011, 10:48 AM
I have the M-3 for a 1911 and one for a S&W Mod-10 4". Use them a lot.

Regards,

ezra

scallop
04-05-2011, 05:39 PM
I just got mine in the mail today. Seems to be a very comfortable fit and easily accessable.

Seeker
04-05-2011, 05:45 PM
is that the USGI one for the M1911? if so, i LOVED it... i could even sleep with that thing on!

i carry my bush revolver in an alaskan guide chest holster, but if i were to get another M1911, i wouldn't hesitate to get the GI holster for it.

Bush Otter
04-05-2011, 05:46 PM
I have a custom based on the tanker holster it has 2 mag pouches integral to the back edge of the holster it was designed for riding 4 wheelers .

Yellow Lab
04-05-2011, 05:49 PM
I have an old one myself. A real holster for a real man's pistol.....:)

I'd take the M1911 any day over my M9 I carry in uniform.

n2ak79
04-05-2011, 05:52 PM
I have always liked the idea! Had a little time w/ a real one and liked it alot! I purchased a replica from Pacific Leather, might make a good pattern, but the leather is too thin and brittle for use! Will have to swim the Bay for a real one.

ExAF1N1
04-05-2011, 05:54 PM
Did a one-off copy of a 1911 one to fit my PK380, but kept the pattern. Can wear it all day, belt carry about drives me nuts anymore since I made it. Better wear getting in/out of the truck and fishing. Like 'em alot, gonna make one for my 4" Taurus .357 soon as classes are out for the summer.

Sawdust and Splinters
04-05-2011, 05:57 PM
I dont use the m7, but I use a shoulder holster most every day, when cool enough for a jacket that is. I love them for when I have much driveing to be doing.

Delta7
04-05-2011, 06:25 PM
Never used one but I do know that in 2005 while in Iraq, A lot of Marine SNCO's and Zero's were using them. By a lot I mean most. I can only assume it was about comfort.

scallop
04-05-2011, 06:29 PM
Just checked and it is a pretty decent fit for my Buckmark as well. I got mine from Sportsmans Guide. Quality seems to be pretty decent. Back is stamped Adirondack Leather Cooperstown NY, which surprised me as I was expecting it to be made in China. Not a bad deal for $34.97.

ezra45
04-05-2011, 07:10 PM
Panzer,
Look at the 1942 holster from ElPaso Saddlery. Can be made to fit any handgun...

Regards,

ezra

Otony
04-05-2011, 08:58 PM
I have several and find them quite comfortable. First started using this style back in the early '80s when I bought a nylon version for a 1911 from Eagle (back when nylon web field gear was a new thing). Liked it so much I had two more made up by Eagle, one for a Ruger Redhawk and another for a Ruger MKII.

The MKII holster and the 1911 holster are both still running strong, and I think I was a trend setter for having the MKII holster made up in khaki webbing and cordura, one of the first webbing holsters I ever saw in other than black or OD. Eagle was a bit reluctant to do it as their holsters were "supposed to be black or OD" but since they were making packs in khaki they finally agreed to make it for me.

I also have one from Pacific Canvas & Leather that is made for a 4" K-frame. I carry my Model 15 in it and so far it has worked a treat. I agree that the leather leaves a bit to be desired, but it seems to be holding up well. I especially like the canvas webbing cartridge loops.

Guys like me with, ahem, barrel chests are better served with a tanker carry holster but the other advantage is that you are able to wear a pack without the straps fouling the holster. With an underarm style of shoulder holster such is not the case, as the holster and the pack straps both try to occupy the same space at once.

Living where we do, a foray into the woods often involves seeing bear sign, so I ease my mind by usually toting some sort of handgun at a minimum, typically a .41 Magnum or a .44 Special. Blue steel comfort courtesy of Colonel Ruger! :3:

Taliesin
04-05-2011, 09:34 PM
I've got an M7 (the real thing) and it's a dandy holster as long as your not trying to conceal it. For concealed carry, I have an old Jackass shoulder holster that I love. Galco makes it now and it's called the Miami Vice or some such punk ass name. Currently my springer is in that. The one thing I don't like about the Jackass is I can't carry hammer down on a cold chamber. Not enough strap. That's not a problem with the M7 since the strap crosses over the grip and not under the hammer.

Crossed Arrows
04-05-2011, 10:57 PM
I had a good saddlemaker make one for me lefthanded and it is very comfortable in the field. After all, it was developed by and for field soldiers and marines many decades ago. When my son was getting ready to deploy to Iraq as an Apache Longbow pilot, I had another one made for him to carry that italian 38 short that they issued him. He loved it and found it much, much better than the plastic stuff that the contractors peddled off to the military. The leather does not chafe in the heat like the plastic does.

The recommendation above to have one made by El Paso Saddlery is spot on. That's where Gen. Patton got his holsters. I've also had several holsters made by El Paso and I can attest to their excellent quality. You'll pay more than for chinese crap, but you will have top quality and you won't regret it.

By the way, carrying in the field with this type of holster is the best way with a pack, unless you want to play quickdraw. It carries easy, it's out of the way and you can get to your sidearm with either hand - very important.

Sgt. Mac
04-06-2011, 07:19 AM
Thanx for all you feedback Fellas, seems like I made a good choice

brionic
04-06-2011, 07:33 AM
I have something similar and it's one of my favorite methods of carry. Concealment requirements change, if that is part of your MO. Getting the weight of the rig off your belt by spreading across your shoulder and chest has many practical advantages.

Keep the straps adjusted tight, but comfortable. Plan several training sessions to develop and condition your new drawstroke, from across your body and higher.

Good choice Mac.

Sgt. Mac
04-06-2011, 07:34 AM
Thanx Bri

Crossed Arrows
04-06-2011, 01:31 PM
Sgt. Mac - I just came back from my morning walk - about 3 miles. I've been carrying a SAA .22 revolver on my hip for plinkin, but today I decided to carry my 1911A1 in the shoulder holster I wrote about. I hadn't carried it with my Swiss military salt and pepper pack before, so I wanted to see if there would be any interference. It was very comfortable worn over a longsleeve jersey with a light wool shirt over it and my Filson mackinaw over that in a light rain.

Just to reinforce what I said about that type of holster for the field, it works very well and I think if you adjust it properly and practice with it, you will find you got a good one.

Sgt. Mac
04-06-2011, 01:39 PM
Thanx for the run down Buddy

tennecedar
04-06-2011, 02:19 PM
I was not aware of this holster design. I like it. I think I want one to fit my 357.

Sgt. Mac
04-06-2011, 02:27 PM
Cool Bro, I'm likein it too

Strider
04-06-2011, 07:06 PM
I've made several for different belly guns over the years, and like them a lot. In fact, for most conditions, I figure it's the ideal way to carry a gun.

Panzer
04-06-2011, 07:08 PM
wish I could find the old one on ebay. Only the new repro! DANG! Love these holsters!

MATT CHAOS
08-10-2011, 03:35 PM
I had a black M7 that I carried a Springfield Armory mil-spec 1911 in it. I liked it for off duty under a jacket.

IndieroxNWusa
08-10-2011, 03:46 PM
Shoulder holsters are awesome to me for two reasons...large frame or heavier weight gun distribution...I like to wear my pants somewhat loose and a belt carry for my .44 is annoying for a long hike or camp chores.(personal preference)

A backpack waist strap that dosnt have pals webbing... so you can carry a large pack and still have a quick draw.

Oh I have to add, I have chest carry that would be a second choice with a large pack on like this, but its really sweaty hot on a long trek
http://www.alaskasportsmanproducts.com/BackPack/736_m.jpg

M7 Shoulder holster sweet

WarDoggy
08-10-2011, 05:08 PM
I typically don't like shoulder holsters, but when wearing a pack, or when in a deer stand, they are the berries. About the only time I really like them, but, for me, they shine in those roles.

I do think a tanker rig would be much more betterer, but I haven't used one yet.

Sent from my SCH-I400 using Tapatalk

S3ymour
08-10-2011, 07:29 PM
I have one from here and absolutely love it, this is used around the farm and whenever I open carry. Often when backpacking I'll wear this rig as well. LINK:
http://www.pacificcanvasandleather.com/holsters.htm

Tvangorden7
08-10-2011, 07:31 PM
plus 1 on the El Paso 1942 Tanker. Great holister. I have one for my Kimber and it is my
favorite way to carry in the feild. I also Have the chesty Puller Rig from simply rugged leather for my N frame Smith. Another Great Set up and a quality product.
both El Paso and Simply Rugged are great companies to deal with

Adam
08-10-2011, 08:03 PM
I don't, Mac, but I know a lot of folks like them for the woods. I think a classic holster like that fits you better than some mall ninja gear. :D

ExAF1N1
12-17-2011, 02:25 AM
Excessive delay puttin up a pic I know... school, work, blah blah...
Anyway, here's finally a pic of the one off version I did for my PK380.

BTW, how's yours working out Mac?

Swede6.5x55
12-17-2011, 02:41 AM
Hey know i know what to get my papa for Christmas. It would go nice with his 100th year model.

tanman2003
12-17-2011, 03:05 AM
Mine didn't fit my Dan Wesson Pointman 7 because it has target sights and they are too tall to fit nicely. However my Ruger Vaquero fits nicely and that is what it rides in now.:50:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-9-yFGAi43CE/TuxKreu9hAI/AAAAAAAAAD4/_cjZUFKxJTQ/s512/M7%252520Shoulder%252520Holster.jpg

Also if you are a person that is not ashamed to wear a synthetic holster, This Blackhawk Shoulder holster is awesome. It fits many guns including a 1911, and rides in the same fashion as the M7. However, if you want to wear it as a chest rig, all you have to do is tighten the chest strap to pull the hoster in front of you. Great for wearing one while carrying a backpack. I use it to carry my trail gun, a Glock 20 SF 10mm.:4:

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-q2kWZYCgDYU/TuxKs0IA_NI/AAAAAAAAAD8/ah5812silck/s512/Blackhawk%252520Chest%252520rig.jpg

ffchris
12-18-2011, 11:55 PM

Check out El Paso Saddlery

ffchris
12-18-2011, 11:57 PM

Check out El Paso Saddlery http://www.epsaddlery.com/c-14-military.aspx

Crossed Arrows
12-19-2011, 01:01 AM
El Paso Saddlery - Quality that you will appreciate for the rest of your life.

I'm fixin to have them make me a fancy carved Tom Threepersons holster for my S&W Thunder Ranch Special in 45acp w/moonclips.